Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

didn't wanna mess up the nodevember thread with a render I am not sure if finished and also is rodtroncs just for shits and giigles

BUT thiis nebulae thing is the poo poo

My first impression is "Ronnie James Dio album cover".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

kind of proud actually how this one came out. not the animation per se, but the bubble effect. the animation just emphasises it
https://giant.gfycat.com/EmbellishedForcefulHarvestmen.mp4

i really like this one

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i haven't really been modelling anything lately, i have mostly just been practicing character rigging with ripped game models from models-resource and the more "technical" side of animation/rigging, drivers and such

i have some projects in mind though

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Big animation month and I'll do a update post at the end of it but I'm very excited to see if Cycles X will allow me to have a nice raytraced animation instead of Eevee's videogamey one

People enjoy my work in progress stuff but the amount of people not in The Know who ask me how my game is coming along is a little deflating. I still think it looks great but if I can get volumetric fog and accurate lighting without it taking the better part of a year to render I'll be so happy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Songbearer posted:

Big animation month and I'll do a update post at the end of it but I'm very excited to see if Cycles X will allow me to have a nice raytraced animation instead of Eevee's videogamey one

People enjoy my work in progress stuff but the amount of people not in The Know who ask me how my game is coming along is a little deflating. I still think it looks great but if I can get volumetric fog and accurate lighting without it taking the better part of a year to render I'll be so happy

can you use sheep it?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I tried it but I had crazy network issues with it. I've replaced my powerline lately so if I get it dialed in then I'll give it another go

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i don't have any network issues generally but I also had a lot of problems with sheepit not being able to connect. I think it might just be extremely fragile netcode

SuperDepressing
Feb 19, 2011

the e-cycles dev is having a huge meltdown and just put it out for free, its fast and has some neat extra features

https://twitter.com/ECycles1/status/1464901634300035073?s=20

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SuperDepressing posted:

the e-cycles dev is having a huge meltdown and just put it out for free, its fast and has some neat extra features

lol thanks for this

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

SuperDepressing posted:

YOINK

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I don't know how to Node so November was business as usual for me, but I think I made some huge progress towards the end of the animation with nearly a minute and a half of new footage blocked out. The Ghastly Martin (the entire reason I started this animation lol) gets to finally put its gizmos to use and man was it a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=246-_0gZpfQ

Usual disclaimer applies nothing is final loads of temporary VFX and animation de da de da but wrestling with constraints and stuff was an illuminating experience and I hope I can remember half the things I had to learn to make the driver, the monster and associated objects play nice with each other. I wish I knew about constraining when I initially modelled the car because parenting objects instead of using the Child Of constraint made things really muddy when it was time to animate.

Once I hopefully get the last of the animation blocked out in December I'm going to go through practically every object in the environment and remodel and retexture it, the Ghastly Martin definitely needs a texture overhaul too. The walls are an especially gnarly bit that needs entirely reworking so they can be made modular so I can break or crumble them where I want and this has all really shown me the importance of greyboxing before committing to actual models and animations. I still also technically need the first half of the animation recorded because I never expected things to go further than "car drives through a wrought iron fence" so that's where it starts from.

More importantly last month I got to celebrate the life of GBS's Screamy The Fish who was finally buried, representing the biggest and saddest loss the forums had to face last month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifui1VDF2Xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Z22ivwJ9Q

The best part of learning 3d modelling and animation is advanced shitposting

Merry Christmas, me :v:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 30, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

I don't know how to Node so November was business as usual for me, but I think I made some huge progress towards the end of the animation with nearly a minute and a half of new footage blocked out. The Ghastly Martin (the entire reason I started this animation lol) gets to finally put its gizmos to use and man was it a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=246-_0gZpfQ

Usual disclaimer applies nothing is final loads of temporary VFX and animation de da de da but wrestling with constraints and stuff was an illuminating experience and I hope I can remember half the things I had to learn to make the driver, the monster and associated objects play nice with each other. I wish I knew about constraining when I initially modelled the car because parenting objects instead of using the Child Of constraint made things really muddy when it was time to animate.

Once I hopefully get the last of the animation blocked out in December I'm going to go through practically every object in the environment and remodel and retexture it, the Ghastly Martin definitely needs a texture overhaul too. The walls are an especially gnarly bit that needs entirely reworking so they can be made modular so I can break or crumble them where I want and this has all really shown me the importance of greyboxing before committing to actual models and animations. I still also technically need the first half of the animation recorded because I never expected things to go further than "car drives through a wrought iron fence" so that's where it starts from.

More importantly last month I got to celebrate the life of GBS's Screamy The Fish who was finally buried, representing the biggest and saddest loss the forums had to face last month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifui1VDF2Xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Z22ivwJ9Q

The best part of learning 3d modelling and animation is advanced shitposting

Merry Christmas, me :v:

It is cool as HELL seeing this car in action. Also your animation is getting noticeably smoother.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Bluemillion posted:

It is cool as HELL seeing this car in action. Also your animation is getting noticeably smoother.

:yeah:

I legit want to see what happens next.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Ahhh 3.0 just released on STEAM, hype!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Tried it out on one scene of mine and it was pretty much twice as fast.

In another it was maybe 20% faster.

In conclusion, 3.0 Cycles is a renderer of contrasts.

(Seriously though those are great performance leaps. My bullshit guess from a grand total of two scenes is that more complex scenes seem to benefit more.)

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Awww yeah time to spend my weekend watching tutorials trying to get a plane to curve .009 degrees on both axis.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Awww yeah time to spend my weekend watching tutorials trying to get a plane to curve .009 degrees on both axis.

as if it were a surface of a sphere?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

as if it were a surface of a sphere?

Yeah, it's the curvature of the earth.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Yeah, it's the curvature of the earth.

perfect time for geometry nodes imo. adjust the z axis downward based on vector math node set to "length" and do the math to figure out how much the offset needs to be. done.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i mean that would just fake it depending on how accurate you want it to be... the curvature of earth is small enough i can't imagine you would ever need to do it at 1:1 scale in blender though but for cases where it is visible, why not just use a sphere itself?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

i mean that would just fake it depending on how accurate you want it to be... the curvature of earth is small enough i can't imagine you would ever need to do it at 1:1 scale in blender though but for cases where it is visible, why not just use a sphere itself?

Because it would be the size of the earth, and I would need to learn geology nodes.
Also it would probably be too many faces.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Because it would be the size of the earth, and I would need to learn geology nodes.
Also it would probably be too many faces.

would something like this work? this is a sphere the size of the earth, low poly, then you delete most of the faces because you dont need them and slap a subdiv on there

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

would something like this work? this is a sphere the size of the earth, low poly, then you delete most of the faces because you dont need them and slap a subdiv on there

Yeah, that would work fine. But I'm still gonna see if there's a way to do what I was planning, since this is a learning exercise mostly. Also having something the actual size of the earth involved here seems like something could go horribly, horribly wrong.

Maybe get the z axis of the grid vertices and apply a couple of quadratic equations?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Yeah, that would work fine. But I'm still gonna see if there's a way to do what I was planning, since this is a learning exercise mostly. Also having something the actual size of the earth involved here seems like something could go horribly, horribly wrong.

Maybe get the z axis of the grid vertices and apply a couple of quadratic equations?

yeah that will work, it's kinda what i was thinking at first. you won't get the correct rotation if that matters though

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

yeah that will work, it's kinda what i was thinking at first. you won't get the correct rotation if that matters though

The sphere approach also seems more scalable, and I'm gonna be doing some serious rear end scale. I also need to cull stuff outside the view of the camera.

EDIT: AHHH TUTORIAL GUY JUST STRAIT UP DROPPED A NOISE TEXTURE NODE IN THERE YOU CAN DO THAT?!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I might be able to render my animation in Cycles X without it taking a lifetime! :woop:

I had to make a lot of changes to all the fog volumes etc which was a pain in the rear end and I have to go through each lightsource to make sure it's not nuclear blast levels of brightness though. Designing for Evee means you have to do a lot of hacky stuff to make the lighting look right and boy howdy does it not play well with Cycles.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Bluemillion posted:

Also having something the actual size of the earth involved here seems like something could go horribly, horribly wrong.
It's mostly fine. Adjust your viewport camera clipping planes (N -> View) to actually see it though. Push the near plane further if you increase the far plane a lot so that the distance between the planes isn't terrifyingly high. You'll know it's too high if you get z-fighting.

In my experience practical scene size limits before you get to serious floating point issues are somewhere in the 1-2 light second region, so you could possibly squeeze a real scale Earth-Moon system in there. Planetary scale seems to work easy.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Holy poo poo Cycles X is amazing. It took some tweaking and there's still a lot to be done before my scene looks the way I wanted it to like in Eevee but the results speak for themselves. I'll make a comparison soon when I dial everything in.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
After a weekend of bashing my head against geometry nodes, I'm starting to grasp how you can shape objects with this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

did this lovely tutorial which helped me get over my bad relationship with atribute nodes and fall in love with fields

erindale rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EboNtLKn_m8

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Speaking of geo nodes

https://twitter.com/johnnygizmo/status/1467931929894924295?s=21

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I just figured out how to curve a plane. Still gonna use the sphere method, but I wanted to figure this out, too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a geonodes trick i really like is to send a vector / float to the group output, give them an attribute value, and then plug them directly into the viewer in the shader.

that way you can do shader style value debugging rather than relying on just the spreadsheet.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Trabisnikof posted:

a geonodes trick i really like is to send a vector / float to the group output, give them an attribute value, and then plug them directly into the viewer in the shader.

that way you can do shader style value debugging rather than relying on just the spreadsheet.

yep, i used this exact setup a lot during nodevember. this way you get a little switch to click on to go between the viewer and the real material you are using

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 8, 2021

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Trabisnikof posted:

did this lovely tutorial which helped me get over my bad relationship with atribute nodes and fall in love with fields

erindale rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EboNtLKn_m8

ty for posting this and i'm having fun following along but it never ceases to amaze me that someone like this guy (or cg matter) can be so good at blender and 3d and also so bad at using math/cs/parameters to make things easier. All this business with bounding boxes and constants for the position could be eliminated if he just scaled the cylinder instead of the position

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Corla Plankun posted:

ty for posting this and i'm having fun following along but it never ceases to amaze me that someone like this guy (or cg matter) can be so good at blender and 3d and also so bad at using math/cs/parameters to make things easier. All this business with bounding boxes and constants for the position could be eliminated if he just scaled the cylinder instead of the position

erin says he was bad at math in school and never brushed up on any of it, he’s picked up exactly what he needs to do his blender nodes so yeah, he doesn’t always get it the best way

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Making a recreation of this Homeworld ship. Not a great fan of the version in the remastered game, so I'm making my own.

This is the original from 1999. It has a grand total of 205x205 pixels of texture space, but they packed a lot of detail in there. I'm turning all that into mesh.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Corla Plankun posted:

The cool thing about 3d stuff (particularly Blender) is that it's easy enough for artists who are completely hopeless at maths (like me) to figure it out while having a whole world of number crunching node madness and scripting potential under it all. You'd probably go bonkers if you saw the way I worked which is pumping values up to ridiculous numbers and then dialling it down from there until I've got it the way I want rather than working out the radius and powers of lights from the get go

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can anyone recommend an online render farm that's affordable? I have so many problems getting Sheepit to give a decent result, its netcode seems to be all over the place. I didn't really want to spend much working on this project since it's a hobby thing, but for its length my 1080gtx isn't cutting it anymore and holy poo poo I didn't realise just how grim the market was on buying anything recent. I've dialled everything in to the point that it renders at a decent speed against the quality I get, but 20 - 30 seconds a frame really adds up over time.

I can cut it down to about 16 - 18 seconds a frame but the drop in quality is noticable. If anyone's used a reputable service I'd be interested in trying it out when the time comes to get a high quality render going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weJCYCFSpJY

Hot comparison between Eevee lighting and the new setup I have for Cycles X. I'll need to ramp but the brightness a little in some parts of the scene but I am thrilled with the new results :3: