Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the new fog effects looks way better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weJCYCFSpJY

Hot comparison between Eevee lighting and the new setup I have for Cycles X. I'll need to ramp but the brightness a little in some parts of the scene but I am thrilled with the new results :3:

That really hit where the door opened just a crack to let light through. How long did it take to render that clip?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
whats the site with a bunch of free-to-use models of humanoids and also animations for their skeletons? i can't remember but i have need for a human-sized model and my google results are bad

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

That really hit where the door opened just a crack to let light through. How long did it take to render that clip?

Too long for my liking but not as long as I thought and still a gigantic improvement over the previous version of Blender. I think I started the render at about 7am yesterday and it was done somewhere by 2am, but if I dial the quality down a bit more I can get it to render much faster. My 1080rtx is getting a little creaky and I wish I could upgrade it to something a bit more worthwhile but gently caress the GPU market right now

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

whats the site with a bunch of free-to-use models of humanoids and also animations for their skeletons? i can't remember but i have need for a human-sized model and my google results are bad

mixamo?

https://i.imgur.com/BmIXuU2.mp4

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

gently caress the GPU market right now

Facts. :smith:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Yes!!! Thank you. I knew it was something adobe but I found something weirdly similar but not quite right on the adobe website when I was googling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/IckyFaithfulIndri.mp4

done in blender using a musgrave to modify UVs

get u real hosed up

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Blender released some new Studio drivers that are supposed to give Cycles a big boost in rendering speed even on lower end cards

I'll do a trip report with my 1080 later

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/IckyFaithfulIndri.mp4

done in blender using a musgrave to modify UVs

get u real hosed up

wonder what it looks like without the effect

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Project start: Heh, those sure are some funny jokes about bloated file names. Good thing I'm organised, I'll never fall into that trap.

One year in:

:eng99:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Meanwhile, when I've left a project in a state of some topological frustration and return to it a few months later

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
25 years ago, thereabouts, I found a program called "lathe" on a CD of windows 95 programs that my dad bought. That was my first experience with 3d modeling of any kind.

Today I was messing around with geometry nodes and made something better than that program.

Makes ya think.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

when i learned how to use "spin" in 3dsmax in like 1999 when i was taking a technology class in middle school I was so god drat amazed. I couldn't believe everyone wasn't constantly talking about it because it was the most impressive thing I had ever seen at that point

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

when i learned how to use "spin" in 3dsmax in like 1999 when i was taking a technology class in middle school I was so god drat amazed. I couldn't believe everyone wasn't constantly talking about it because it was the most impressive thing I had ever seen at that point
same but Infini-D on Mac. I made so many loving goblets and vases.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

repost
https://i.imgur.com/duYOLX2.mp4

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Elukka posted:

Meanwhile, when I've left a project in a state of some topological frustration and return to it a few months later

The opposite end of the spectrum:

I might not have the best filenames but my collection tree is a loving forest

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Songbearer posted:

The opposite end of the spectrum:

I might not have the best filenames but my collection tree is a loving forest

big com.sun.java.cock.balls.strategies.policies.providers.factories energy

but joke aside lots of structure is generally better than not having enough imo

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
new alpha build is now out that can actually use the GPU on macs.

UI is still weirdly unresponsive at times but it's slashed Cycles render times by at least 3x for me

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

new alpha build is now out that can actually use the GPU on macs.

UI is still weirdly unresponsive at times but it's slashed Cycles render times by at least 3x for me
yeah its pretty good improvement on my m1 mini. will be interesting seeing how it goes once they've done the performance tuning

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there a place to give constructive usability critcism for blender or is it arrogant for me to assume my opinion matters

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

is there a place to give constructive usability critcism for blender or is it arrogant for me to assume my opinion matters

hit me

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

I think there is some "papercuts" thread in thr blender forums

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

little things, like node windows not being centred by default. that would easily stump a new user

thats it

thats the only one

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I have another one: why is uv unwrapping so bad and also why are the tools for rearranging/cleaning uv maps also bad?

I unwrap the roundish area around a character's eyes and it becomes weirdly unevenly skewed, and also rotated like 197.4 degrees (i.e. not by some amount that makes sense). Also if it gets any excuse, it will make the uv map overlap.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

there's an experimental blender build that adds caustics to cycles. seems like it doesn't like optix acceleration so far, but its still much faster than luxrender

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Jenny Agutter posted:

there's an experimental blender build that adds caustics to cycles. seems like it doesn't like optix acceleration so far, but its still much faster than luxrender

Oh that's tasty.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this whole time, cycles didn't do caustics? dang.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

this is some povray poo poo

no reflective checkerboard tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

this whole time, cycles didn't do caustics? dang.

it did … and i’ve certainly generated them. there is a checkbox for both reflective and refractive caustics, but they were never extremely prominent

Jenny Agutter posted:

cycles had caustics, are we talking about adding bidirectional or something? i’m curious. is it the normal cycles or a branch?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

it did … and i’ve certainly generated them. there is a checkbox for both reflective and refractive caustics, but they were never extremely prominent

cycles had caustics, are we talking about adding bidirectional or something? i’m curious. is it the normal cycles or a branch?

It's a patch for the 3.1 alpha, I think.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the past i’ve needed to use luxrender to do this kind of thing so i’d be stoked if i didn’t have to

which was dispersing light and having low density volumetrics so you can visualise the dispersion

makes me a bit sad to see luxrender totally displaced, going back a long time it was all I used, and helped form a love of path tracing

back when i’d leave a single frame to render for 8 hours lol. animations were impossible

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

yeah i think its bidirectional. here's a comparison render with the old style

If you want to try it out its experimental branch D13533

Laserjet 4P posted:

this is some povray poo poo

no reflective checkerboard tho

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Reported

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i think this video came up in my youtube ecommendations when i watched some caustics videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UjJqwwMJc8

if you use affinity photo, you can get the filmic look with the macros linked in this video while having the option of making adjustments using the full dymamic range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeTP7WHnQaw

and i'm sure that there are options for other software too, but i didn't go looking

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
awesome. thanks. that'll let me do some stuff I want to do, mostly take photos I've taken and run them thru filmic look transforms lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/wZDbdaH.mp4

e: uploaded pre-composting version by mistake

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 27, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

whoa, that's sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006