Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hello YOSPOS I have always been interested in 3d modelling and have tinkered with Blender from time to time but never really put in many hours to do anything I really liked. Well since December and January had been quiet I put some time in to learn Stuff and I've finally made something I think is neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UDkvYIXn8

I'd love to hear some feedback. I learned a lot making the model and even restarted the project from scratch after hours of work because I'm a dumbass who made the first version out of one cube rather than several objects. Despite all that it was so much fun to make my doofy concept a reality

I originally called this gun the Cuckoo Glock but I decided not to tarnish the guns good name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jenny Agutter posted:

and really if that's your first serious project you're off to a great start, please keep posting in this thread!

Doc Block posted:

I hope my earlier post didn’t come across as harsh or judgmental, god only knows my first attempt at doing a “real” model didn’t look half as good

Thank you both! That was exactly what I was looking for in terms of feedback, looking at the model and textures I could tell things weren't right but I couldn't place exactly what they were. I've done a few (garbage) static models in the past but this was the first thing that I put real effort into and stuck with when things got awkward and I had to redo a bunch of my work. I'm still really pleased with it but the most important thing is that it showed me where to improve and Bevel loving Everything™ is one of the things I see getting reiterated in all the tutorials I watch and read.

As for textures I think that's mostly me not doing my research and instead thinking "Yeah that's probably what that should look like". I will say that I'm probably less enthusiastic about texturing than I am modelling but it didn't help that I didn't have a good idea what materials I wanted to make it out of other than the cuckoo parts being wood :v:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Things I have learned while making my Blender projects:

I don't know how guns work

I don't know how cars work

I know how to make things car shaped or gun shaped but as to their actual mechanisms, well :downs:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Crossposting from the CC thread because I'd love to hear people's feedback:

Songbearer posted:

Sharing my WIP that I've been working on for the better part of Feburary, probably two weeks in. My second Blender project following the Unwritten Rules Of Blender that say if your first ever project is a gun it is mandatory your second project is a car.

This one is a weird combination of 20's - 50's automotive design and I've learned just how little I know about cars during the process. The idea is that it's a car driven by a team of undead hunters, so the engine is powered by boiling holy water and released as consecrated mist from the exhaust. Panels flip open to deploy flamethrowers, stake launchers and other fun gadgets such as a flippable headlight cover with a crucifix inset into it for the light to shine through. I've animated a convertible roof which was really drat rewarding to implement, it was a big "Yahoo!" moment when I got it to work.

I'm considering this about 40% done with the modelling. I'm relatively happy with the shape of the exterior but it needs to be spruced up with some art deco stuff, anti-undead iconography and such. I still need to sew the exterior together and put wires/pipes etc on through the engine and gizmos, but to be honest I'm really daunted by those steps so I'm putting them off til the end. I've been following this guide that was reccomended:

and although I'm not even a fraction of a hundredth as good as this guy and I had no prior idea what I was gonna make, it's been real helpful. If anyone can think of anything I should be focusing on or changing at this stage in my model I'd love the feedback.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You're a superstar for putting the effort in, I love the detail and reasoning from your feedback. It'll definitely have two lights, I was just playing with positioning before I committed to anything :) I don't take anything like this personally because I genuinely have no idea about automotive design outside of "teenager scribbling on schoolbook" which is very much my aesthetic. While I'm not going for absolute realism your suggestions really help because yeah, I never thought about the wheel size outside of "Big wheels = Cool" so I'll definitely take that on board.

For everyone else encouraging me, thanks! I'm having a great time but sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm on the right track. Such a positive response is a huge boost :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

It also doesn't hurt to do some heavy googling or browse the goon forums related to what you're modeling. In this case: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=91
Since your car is powered by holy water, you really don't need the flamethrowers. Just have a system that partially vents the boiler at high pressure around the bottom of the car. You save the weight of having a separate system for napalm that way. The holy properties will be more effectively applied than they would from the exhaust, and hot steam will do almost as much damage to living targets, if not more, while impairing visibility. (At risk of an anime probation, I cite how effectively the colossal titan used steam as a defense mechanism) EDIT: This also gives some storytelling tension opportunities, as they need to choose between using up their water with this in a fight or using it trying to get away.

Man you are some kind of fantasy vehicle artificer and I love it. That's an awesome idea

Doc Block posted:

yeah using reference photos and constantly looking back at them is really important

One of the perils of checking reference images of 1920's - 1950's cars is that I fall down into a well and spend ages just looking at their awesome designs

Sometimes I black out and when I come to there's 60 tabs open all featuring door handles

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 13, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
An update on my car, now known as the Ghaston Martin (thanks internet friend and SA superstar Mori)

The shape of the car is pretty similar to last time and I've sewn together the outer shell, floor and dashboard so outside a few cosmetic tweaks I'm happy with how it looks. Following the feedback I've made the wheels have a smaller profile and there are tons of small changes here and there to the frames and fixtures so that things look at least a little mechanically plausible without losing its cartoony mood. The colours are for reference purposes, I've not settled on the final paintjob or anything.

The majority of the work has been on the interior, but you can see the Halo-Gen lights on both sides of the car with the crucifix insets. The headlights can scan around some 130 degrees and they roll over for the lids to flap down onto them.

I've redesigned the grille of the car to something very silly but thematically appropriate. If this is gonna be a gothic anti-undead spookmobile, it might as well have a little ceremony to the front of the car. Say goodbye to the ventilation grille and hello to double swinging doors with a tiny deployable portcullis lock:

I'm considering adding some grated prison-style windows so they can act as ventilation but I'm not sure if that'll make the front end look a little too busy.

The interior of the car has been a ton of fun to design. I've referenced a bunch of interiors but I didn't go too in-depth mechanically because I didn't want to get bogged down. There's a few more dials and instruments I need to add and the passenger side will get a bunch of gadgets too, but the main control console has a bunch of buttons and switches that all correspond to the deployable mechanisms on the car. The blue squares are those cool flip-up doohickeys that stop you from spraying napalm everywhere.

Other incidental decorations include an old fashioned travel lamp for interior lighting and a werewolf's hand on a rosary for a mirror decoration. Yes I know the bone looks like a penis but that's how I drew it and I like my dumb cartoony bone :colbert: I've got a big list of little doohickeys I'd like to add in here and there - books, scroll cases, emergency crucifix, crossbow, witch-hunter hat, that sorta thing. A bunch will probably wind up in the trunk, which I've not really done much with yet.

I'm currently working on the steam release system for the underside of the car. Super early stages but I kind of like the skeletal hand look I landed on so I'll probably design around it. The underside of the car is pretty barren but honestly I'll probably just texture most of it. I elected to keep the combination stake-launcher/flamethrower deployable hardpoints because they're so doofy :3: They're going to undergo a remodel which is why there's only one currently.

Finally, here's an image with the devices and flaps opened up. (I'm aware of the clipping issues!)

Still got a long way to go, but a lot of it is incidental detail and polish. Got a ton of things to bevel, smooth out, remodel, sew together etc and eventually I think I want to make a little mist-shrouded cemetery environment for it to sit in. Thanks for the feedback on my previous post, it's been a blast so far and my momentum's been strong :3:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 19, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Wanna gnibble that 'gnut

Sat down and started remodeling the stake/flamethrower deployable on the car today. The previous one was a doofy little sketch I did more as a placeholder to see how I could fit it on the vehicle, but mechanically it didn't make much sense. I'm not an engineer but I like to have at least a cartoony level of functionality to my devices so I figured I'd set it up so the firing mechanism for the stakes made more sense.

The old version is on the right with the new top assembly on the left and yes I know the stakes look like turds, I'm just, I've got to texture them and

The old one had no perceptible firing mechanism and absolutely no way for the pitch or angle to be changed so while it was a fun design it didn't exactly scream "this is a projectile weapon". The new design has a hinged underside so it can be pitched up and down and uses a pneumatic catapult system.

I realise the pistons don't make a lot of sense but it's still better than my first iteration. The cradles that hold the stakes slam into a stopper mounted in the barrel and on the rear of the skull, leaving the stakes to fly free:

Which also has the wonderful side effect of giving the skull doofy murder eyes

Having the catapult system be on a hinge means I can do fun things by having the skull's head and jaws be independantly movable. I'm pretty excited about putting it all together!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

I spent a quiet Sunday evening learning how to use geometry nodes.

All of that, from this:

Well, and a subdivided plane, a cube with a divet in the top, and some procedural textures.

Goddamn this is super cool. I've dicked around with nodes a little prior to getting into Blender properly but it's pretty daunting, the examples you guys have shown have been really neat though

I'm finished with my stake launcher/flamethrower remodel for now, old one on the left and new one on the right:

Keeps the skull n' bones motif while looking like an actual functioning piece of equipment. The stakes are fired using pistons, the flamethrower cannister is attached and hosed up on this model, and the general shapes of the body and shields are much more interesting

Way more going on with this one while keeping the compact footprint of the original.

The stake launcher system can pivot up and down freely to arc at aerial targets or to hit things further away.

Closeup of the little AA battery gizmo on the back. I made this thing right at the beginning of the project as a warmup and now I finally have a reason to use it. Planning on taping or roping the batteries in, I'm thinking this can be a little radio reciever for the turrets.

Ghaston Martin with the hardpoints down and the hardpoints deployed. The little sticks are the armatures so I can animate the pistons firing :3:

Once I've put some items in the trunk of the car I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the initial pass of the design. I want to make a start on a scene to place it in and then I'll return to polish and neaten everything before texturing it but this is a lot of the work done at this point, I think.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

That stake launcher could go directly into a TF2 halloween event and nobody would bat an eye.

This means a lot because among the piles of references I used was TF2's weapon designs :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm in the guts of prepping the car for texturing. I'm applying bevels, removing placeholder parts and fixing some god loving awful topology that's plaguing the car's body. I've got a long way to go before I'm gonna tinker with it in Substance painter but a quick update on some bits I've made progress with:

Some undead hunting paraphernalia in the back. The box contains holy hand grenades, silver bullets and spare stakes, there's some rope for all-purpose binding and a grappling hook ready to go. The phials on the back contain holy water which'll have an Emissive glow on them, empty ones will be transparent glass.

Miscellaneous objects littering the car. The brown tubes are scroll cases which contain missives, contracts and so on. An unfurled scroll rests on the edge of the passenger's side.

Closeup of a scroll because I thought it was cute :3:

The engine is, of course, completely nonsensical, but I think it looks pretty neat with the tubes in place. The top left tube leads to the exhaust, the middle one redirects to the steam vent system under the car and the yellow one will go to the fuel cap where holy water phials can be inserted.

I've also completely remade the front bumper to add something I wanted on the car in the beginning:

Deployable scythes, baby! These are probably the most mechanically shaky thing on the car so far so I'll see if I can't figure out a way to make them plausibly deploy from the driver's seat. I'm going to have the hands grasping the bumper assembly be connected with struts that look like skeleton bones :spooky:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Boudica wheel spikes are an idea I've considered, absolutely. I'll reconsider the front bumper, mostly I've been on a tear with the front end of the car because it was the earliest part of the project, much of it being a low poly nurbsy mess, so it felt good to get rid of the old bumper which I kind of threw on to get an idea of the body shape I wanted.
You're probably right, sometimes less is more v:v:v

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jenny Agutter posted:

its a vector math node :) shift+a->n->v

question: are the crosses supposed to be upside down when the headlight covers are flipped up?

The headlights rotate 180 and the covers fall down over them with the cross facing the correct way. The headlamps are designed so they can rotate on a pivot to be aimed at meanies :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncw7BPP5uNU

Here's the old front bumper vs the new one:

It's less chunky and a little wider than before but I think it fits better. I might make it a little bigger?

E: Made it slightly bigger and I think it works well to anthropomorphise the car and give it a frowny face:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 27, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've hit the Blender Rookie Doldrums of realising that a lot of the bits of my car are made out of six thousand billion faces and so I'm decimating, merging and degenerating the hell out of everything. It's all part of the learning experience but woof it's a lotta work.

On the bright side it's encouraged me to remake parts of the car that I didn't realise were being such polyhogs and I managed to make the side skirts practically identical for a fraction of the count. It's a good feeling when you can tell you've learned a lot going over old lovely geometry and doing it right in half the time :unsmith:

E: My model takes after me, as much of it is degenerate

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 2, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Doc Block posted:

look up retopology, and also the shrinkwrap modifier

Yeah I've heard about Shrinkwrap before but I haven't gotten my head around it yet. I'll take some time to watch some tutorials when I get a few hours free.

Speaking of which, I've gone through my model top to bottom and culled as many faces as I feel comfortable with:

I had to remodel the side skirts (Topology was a mess) and the undercarriage (garbage from the beginning) but overall I don't think I've compromised anything about the car in the process. This includes the engine, cargo in the trunk and the two flamer/stakethrowers. There's a lot going on with this car!

See all the pink blips and blops? Screws and hex bolts. Are you an intelligent modeller? Are you less than completely pants-on-head incompetent? How would you model screws and hex bolts, a tiny little detail nobody's going to be closely scrutinising?

Did you say "Model them as a tiny hexagon and a low-poly half dome, place them in places that are only going to be scrutinised up close and normal map them if not"? If so, congratulations, you're officially smarter than me a month ago.

Who modeled his screws and bolts like this:

And put them all over his car.

Each screw is 3,601 faces.

Yes I don't loving know what I was thinking. Figured y'all would get a laugh out of this one because seriously what the gently caress, me. I think I was just flexing my modelling muscles and forgot that there are loving budgets for a reason. With those exorcised and everything straightened out, my model size is a fair bit better - enough for my purposes at least.

I'm sure that my changes are still piss poor by you guys standards but once again, it's one of those learning experiences where I'm not gonna wind up repeating that mistake in the future. Hopefully.

Sorry if my updates are frequent for how minor they are, this thread is acting as a psuedo diary for me and the feedback has been super useful. It's just a great way to stay motivated and look back on my faux pas :unsmith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Blender making the world a happier place one animated cheese wedge at a time

Still plugging away with retopping and UVing my mesh, but something finally broke in me and made me overhaul the front of the car. I think it's a big improvement. Trimmed the fat, got rid of the the ugly front panels and made the grille the convergence point for the body as it should be on a car of its era:

I also moved the badge to the hood because it was sad and alone just kind of wedged onto the grille. I think this gives the car a much more palatable and slick profile and takes a lot of clunk out of the design.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Neon Noodle posted:

agreed, way more polished!

I made a short flim:

https://youtu.be/fp702yBpZu8

Goddamn I love the stopmotion appearance of the gramophone. Share this video everywhere, the visuals are such a treat :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on the Ghastly Martin :3: Still UV'ing away but the momentum is strong. I've got my own little system for tracking what I've UV'd and what I still have to do:

Greens are objects I've simplified and are awaiting UVs, blues are ones with completed UVs and pinks are parts I've completely overhauled. If I overhaul something and haven't UV'd it then I colour it gold, but I tend to do it as the last part of the process anyway so I've never had to do it unless I've had to go to work and come home and know I'd forget v:v:v

Just to treat myself I threw it into Substance Painter for a second and threw on some random textures to a few parts of the car to see how they looked under a good renderer. I'm really liking the result! I remade the engine and have a dumb lore reasoning behind its functionality that's stupid enough to work as cartoon logic. I'm aiming to have it UV ready and to begin texturing it by the middle of the week, then I'll do an animation reel of its deployable bits before making my first 3d scene to put it in and begin work on having it do some cool stuff in action.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm on the texturing part of my model using Substance Painter. This is the part which I love because it's so much fun but dread because goddamn, I am not a texture artist so I have no idea if something I think looks cool is completely off the mark for how the material is actually supposed to work. Here's the initial material setup for the car before I've added any detail:

And here it is with some generators to scuff it up and some masks to add mud around the side skirts and fenders, wheels to follow soon. Lighting changed to closer reflect the environment I'm going to make for it to move around in:

Since I last posted I overhauled the engine because it was the earliest thing I worked on so the geometry was all kinds of shaky. The new design is simpler and easier to animate, running on fun cartoon logic because I am not an engineer:

Holy water cannisters are inserted into the fuel cap on the side of the car (You can see it on the image above this one, behind the left headlight assembly), filling into the blue water tank next to the engine, ready to be pumped into it as the machine runs. The orange glowy things on the right hand side of the engine are the fiery spirits of trapped demons, which are released into the engine, doused in holy water which then boils and is released as consecrated steam to power the vehicle.

The pistons on the engine will be animated in a 1 - 2 - 3 sequence and the metal thing at the front will spin around. I'm looking forward to mixing the sounds of the engine.

I think having a monster hunting car be powered by demonic torture is pretty baller and saves me having to think too hard about the logistics of it all. I've still got a long way to go before the car is finalised, but texturing is a discipline I've not had much experience with so it'll be another big learning experience for me :unsmith:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 18, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just basic metals in Substance Painter with some grunge layers and masks/brushwork for the mud. I don't have access to Designer as I bought painter as a standalone on STEAM last year

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Finally got my textures to a state I'm happy to import them into Blender.

There are plenty of issues with textures not looking quite right and some gnarliness with my topography but I'm beginning to feel the effects of burnout in terms of modelling and texturing, so my next step will be putting together an animation reel showing off the deployables on a static background. I'm still aiming to make a full environment and an animation to go with it, but I've put so much time into this that it'd be a real shame to falter now :unsmith: I love my dumb car too much to do it dirty, and I think having something to show to my friends will be a big boost in the motivation department after being radio silent for so long.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 31, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Tarted up the car a little so it didn't look so barren. I've wanted to have some of that cool trim that you see on cars of its era but until the bodywork was final it wasn't worth stitching anything on, but I think the end result is a lot more striking. I've also added some incidental details to the dash, pinned a map onto it and I've got a few extra gribblins that won't be visible in the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ6jR8UiCS4

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Doc Block posted:

looking good!

just noticed this, but do the wheel wells extend deep enough inside that the wheels can turn left and right?

Currently it's sort of. I noticed it earlier so I made a small adjustment so they could turn, but it's definitely not a full range of motion yet. When it's time to animate it driving its route I'll revisit all the parts I need to animate/rig for physics and adjust accordingly, for now it's mostly animating the deployable parts and figuring out how I want them to move.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm doing Mantaflow stuff for all the steam/flame related things with my car. After finally finding a solution to an issue that apparently only me and one other person has had of Mantaflow crashing as soon as you make any change to the default variables and try to bake, I have come to this conclusion:

Gas/fluid simulation is a giant pain in the rear end and by far my least favourite part of this project. It's nice to have a finished result but goddamn, the level of fiddling to dial things in until they look right and simulate well is so tedious. I know it's just unfamiliarity with the system and another skill that I have to learn through trial and error but it feels like it's been a major block in my progress and momentum. Fortunately I'm almost done with it and can go back to animating things and modelling a scene, but it's gonna be a while before I make another flamethrower again.

Here's what I'm going with for the flamethrower VFX. There are some issues with the smoke getting culled too quickly and the flamethrower isn't a natural controlled cone shape like I wanted it to be, but if I have to stare at Mantaflow variables any longer I'm going to be reduced to a gibbering pile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jquKScUiJ8

Who am I kidding I'll come crawling back to fix it, but, but, not for a while

Not for a loving while

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTN2eioR-sY

Final showcase of the Ghastly Martin's features before I get to work putting it all into an actual animation with scenery etc.

Deployable Roof
Portcullis Lock
Engine Gates
"Brass Bull" consecrated steam engine
Deployable Stake Launcher/Flamethrower
Halo-Gen Headlights with swivel and crucifix inset
Working shifter

I need to completely redo the gas/fire/smoke simulations for the full animation but it was such a pain in the arse that this is good enough. There's a lot of things I still need to neaten up in terms of texture work and a few things are missing their emission and so on but I'm proud of the work I've done, especially for my second major project :unsmith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Took a little break from my doom n' gloomery of the Ghastly Martin and whipped this up in about an hour

https://i.imgur.com/oIxdQDZ.mp4

A bouncy bull (But it can be a bunch of quadrupeds I guess)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Slow and steady progress on the Ghastly Martin scene. I'm not much one for landscapes and architecture so maintaining momentum is harder on this one, I'm more about vehicles and gizmos and creatures, but it's off to a decent start. Learning about hair particles to make grass and disperse trees across a plane, as well as vertex groups to block places off and make it so leaves only came out of the tree branches was fun and interesting. Particle objects are gonna be a ton of fun when I start making abstract things again.

No idea what I'm gonna do for the Ghastly Martin, whether I'll have a driver or just leave it to be self animated. Modelling weird creatures is one thing, but modelling and animating a person seems like it'd be so easy to gently caress up. I want to do everything myself rather than downloading other peoples models, and I've managed well so far, so we'll see if I can rise to the challenge. For now I think I'm well on my way to having a place my little car can show off its stuff.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Honestly having Cycles finish rendering four seconds earlier would make me happy

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
How necessary is it to bevel like, everything? What should I be looking for when it comes to bevelling? I get that sharp angles with no bevel tend to shade incorrectly and look weird, but when I apply bevel modifiers it screws the hell out of my UVs and working around them is a pain in the rear end. I feel like I'm missing something and I'm not sure what

I could make buildings and scenery real fast but throwing a bevel on there tends to make tiny bits and bobs that are almost imperceptible but if they screw the seams they're a nightmare to resolve

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Nodes are amazing and I can't wait for them to make any sort of sense to me whatsoever

I like Colour Ramp though

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

echinopsis posted:

oh lol thought it was something about my ring lol

:nice:

I've been chipping away at my scene for the Ghastly Martin and I'm getting close to it being mostly complete aside from needing some retexturing and detailing. Next up will be character design and animation which is a huge step out of my comfort zone. Also architecture is a pain in the rear end and not one of my most favourite things, but I've had a great time playing with hair emitters and using them for foliage placement. I can't wait to do some abstract art with them

Settled for a sort of Bloodborne lighting scheme and I think it looks neat. Slightly bluish light to make the orange lights of the Ghastly Martin pop :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A few new additions:

4 different models of fences along the road in various states of disrepair
I replaced the hair particle grass with a much nicer billboard one
Stars in the night sky via a noise texture, contrast and emission nodes - the texture is 4D so I'm hoping to animate a subtle twinkle
Big ol' sign above the graveyard

A few more bits and bobs need to be added to the graveyard to make it look a little more natural but I'm very, very close to being done with the scene for now. Character design and rigging models will be next which is terrifying

Here's the sausage (Some particles disabled for performance)

Nodes are so much fun, goddamn

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 30, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

I want a shot with the cross things on the headlights.

Honk honk, motherfricker :twisted:

sorry for swearing

Postprocessing is fun :3:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Taken the plunge and started on character design, first up being the Ghastly's driver:

I want him to be a wiry, weird looking guy, the kind of person who stays away from society and is probably disliked by other members of his order. I'm planning to have his goggles animated to act as his main source of eye expression. Clothing will be patchwork cloth/leather but with a minimum of flappy bits because god knows I wouldn't be able to animate that stuff well. I know he looks a little like a thalidomide Riddick currently but he'll have the mandatory Cool Hunter Hat

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Not yet. Truth be told I don't know much about rigging outside of automatically weighing armatures to bendy things, any resources that could push me in the right direction would be really helpful :)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Have some horror from my WIP

he is gonna visit you tonight

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Father no, please don't turn me into a low poly model, please...

I Do Not Feel Well, Father

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
F A T H E R

code:
D I D 
             I            D O

S O M E T H I N G

W R 
                                             O

N G

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
IT'S ALIVE

This was a lot of fun but I am absolutely not a character modeller! Proportions, even exaggerated ones like I usually draw are hard enough to get right on paper, so all of this was a real challenge. That said, the results are super rewarding and my creepy guy can make all kinds of cool weird facial expressions and it's a trip seeing my art style translated into 3D. Again, there's a lot I've learned in the process that I wish I knew going in, but I'm glad that my cartoony puppet man can roam around in all his creepy underbitey glory now.

Something this also taught me was to get my goddamn scale locked in before making the scene. I made the car, the landscape and the scenery before I even considered the actor, and as such even for my lanky guy the interior of my car was just too high up and far forward for him to sit comfortably without contorting into a bunch of shapes. This meant the car had to be bigger, and since the car had to be bigger so did everything else leading to a cascading series of changes over the entire scene. Everything is sorted now though, so I'm going to do some test animations on the rig and then it'll be time to make the monster for the driver to hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Nah, Perserve Volume wasn't on. Just enabled it and it makes things look a lot cleaner, thanks :)