Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

This is fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

fart simpson posted:

i did more displacement stuff. doesnt look quite right but im not sure how to achieve my ~vision~

https://i.imgur.com/ugnQXXn.mp4

This is terrifying.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
I have a blender question if someone has the time!

I have this map and I want to model it in 3D. The bottom left is a cross-section from above looking down, and there are all these cross-sections labeled throughout the map (A -> XX) that you can see in the top right. I also have the Z-offsets from the datum, which are the numbers on the bottom-left view.

I can trace all the cross-sections, lay them on top of the map then shift them up / down but how would I connect this all together into a seamless model from there?

Eventually I'd like to cross-section the overall model and 3d print it like a museum exhibit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Jenny Agutter posted:

that's going to be a lot of manual labor in blender as far as I know. you'd be making those sort of 2d polygons from the cross sections, which you could then connect by edit mode->Edge->Bridge Edge Loops to make a seamless model. you might want to ask in the CC thread and see if there's a better tool for this job

That's what I was afraid of, thank you!

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

Jenny Agutter posted:

that's going to be a lot of manual labor in blender as far as I know. you'd be making those sort of 2d polygons from the cross sections, which you could then connect by edit mode->Edge->Bridge Edge Loops to make a seamless model. you might want to ask in the CC thread and see if there's a better tool for this job

It's actually not too bad really, so doing similar if not exactly like you said:

> Make bezier loops (I use circles then modify).
> Select all the beziers and group them into an object
> Convert to Mesh
> Edit and in edges "Bridge Edge Loops"

And I'll extrude this to have a shell that's a closed manifold.

Thanks again for the help, I'll post once I'm done :)

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

echinopsis posted:

just as a curiosity, I did most of this in blender

https://giant.gfycat.com/BareEqualAmericanrobin.webm

Love the workflow shot :) Very cool.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

I bought a Wacom tablet (no screen, just an input) and am learning how to texture finally! It's not as hard as I thought it'd be, UV Unwrap is magic.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

distortion park posted:

Thanks, some incredible stuff in there, I copied FalseNegative's marble texture technique, was pretty smart. When I started playing around with the Magic Texture it looked completely wrong, they had nailed in the exact right param set that makes it work, you can't move far off before it no longer looks right.

I couldn't work out how to make both the texture and colours randomised - it was always either one or the other, no matter what I did with Realize Instances. Going to leave it for now, maybe try and do a 3d partially transparent marble next, learnt so much just copying their stuff and messing around.

I was quite pleased with the background texture - big scale on a smooth noise + colorramp to black and white gives a cool, very flexible effect for bold patterns.

Just catching up! I'm glad it was useful :)

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
Never stop posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
I can't believe that was done in Eevee. Amazing work!