Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah seriously. First he's rolling on his side, then he's sitting up from being on his back, then he's falling prone. There's absolutely no consistency between panels.

It's amazing isn't it? If he hadn't introduced panel 2 this would be fin-- okay not fine, but just normally poo poo. Instead he made it impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He's using the last of his energy to die with his butt proudly sticking in the air.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pyrotoad posted:

I wonder, since Snout's the POV character and he's passed out, does this mean he can skip over the potential confrontation between Arudak, Squidward and the newcomers, and they can fill him in later with text so now Mookie doesn't have to draw a combat scene and just has to draw a static bedroom scene?

100%. We might get a meaningless dream sequence first where snout nakedly floats between more cube frames though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

I wonder, since Snout's the POV character and he's passed out, does this mean he can skip over the potential confrontation between Arudak, Squidward and the newcomers, and they can fill him in later with text so now Mookie doesn't have to draw a combat scene and just has to draw a static bedroom scene?

That is exactly what is going to happen. :sigh:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I know it's easy to forget because this is all happening in a white void, but isn't this also happening outdoors, in broad daylight, in the middle of what we have previous seen to be - via a number of 'lavishly' done scenery shots - a bustling city full of people?

All the other Mongrelfolk are just totally fine with some weirdo coming in and Five Finger Exploding Heart Technique-ing someone? Also with said weirdo being - presumably - Human and the weirdo being another Mongrelfolk making this, on the surface, seem like a racial attack.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Why is the second panel so funny

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
my face after getting heart punched and doing an anime roll

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Kavak posted:

That is exactly what is going to happen. :sigh:

Yep, I'd say it's almost 100%.
I'm coming in late to commenting on this strip, but my very first thought on reading it was "well, Snouts knocked out now, so Mookie can spend a strip or two on some vague white void dream realm, then have a strip or two where others tell him what happened after he woke up.

Easy, pleasing, saves Mookie tracing. Win, Win, Win for him. And God forbid Snout has agency

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Pyrotoad posted:

Yeah, this is what's going to happen. With some more naked cuddling/dreams

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
he should have just gone all in on some trippy postmodern dream bullshit and never draw real backgrounds again

turn your weaknesses into gimmicks, this is basic webcomic stuff

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome but I'm actually convinced by the "no dialog" thing. All the writing is so Snout can communicate in a world with no sign language, and you have situations like this where people go off on each other without thinking to write it all down for the deaf protagonist, so you don't get to know what it's about yet.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

GrossMurpel posted:

Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome but I'm actually convinced by the "no dialog" thing. All the writing is so Snout can communicate in a world with no sign language, and you have situations like this where people go off on each other without thinking to write it all down for the deaf protagonist, so you don't get to know what it's about yet.

I feel like we're humans in a zombie movie and you've been hiding a bite that you've just revealed by taking off your sweater.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm...Mookie?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm fine with the concept of a deaf person communicating through writing. It's the fact that Mookie claims no dialogue (when that clearly is), and obviously uses Snouts' deafness as a crutch to not have to plan ahead (since he can draw a conflict before deciding the details of what it is about), or sometimes to avoid drawing anything (through pages that are walls of text).

So yeah, you're just describing the basic premise, which isn't inherently bad. It's Mookie's execution that flubs it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Pyrotoad posted:

Guess a page, win a prize.

rudecyrus posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a panel of her ripping out the pages while cackling.

Well it wasn't on panel but might as well get you prize while we wait for Friday to confirm she did exactly this.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The entire diary has been completely covered with Dickbutts.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It doesn't look like she ripped out any pages, and at any rate, if the book's that important, the newcomers should just take it.

But everyone's into cumbersome ways to do ordinary things, so my guess is: The book's completely physically intact, but all the pages are blank. Ink Witch II took the written words with her.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The harshest thing will be the easiest to draw and thus what’s actually going to happen: they’re ink witches so the journal will be 100% blank. They read it, got the info they needed, and took the ink.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol they just loving ditched him

This is such a badly paced page. It looks like a series of moments in a montage, like Mookie put his recovery on fast forward. Hey Mookie, it's a webcomic! You can make the page bigger, you don't need to cram everything into 4 panels. Take a hint from the mangas you were trying to ape with those "doing nothing" pages and let things breathe a bit!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They drew a dickbutt

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

All the pages are just scrawled with scathing commentary about how dumb he is and how creepy Ink Witch is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s actually drawings of everyone posing his with passed out body like the end of Hangover

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It's not going to be blank, it's going to be an explanation of what happened (only way to tell not show in a "dialogueless" comic).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Snout has spent like half of this comic mugging like a Looney Tunes character.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

Guess a page, win a prize.

Well it wasn't on panel but might as well get you prize while we wait for Friday to confirm she did exactly this.

So the apothecary and minotaur teleported here. They were not here earlier. What, they walked by after inkwich, inkwich 2.0, arudak, and skullet hosed off, found an unconscious Snout, roused him with smelling salts (which the apothecary just happened to be carrying with her?) and somehow knew that an explanation for this situation would be in his diary, so they hand it to him and open it to the specific page needed to deliver exposition to him?

Aside from being poo poo, this update doesn't make any sense. Also the minotaur had shrunk by 50% and unbelievably has been copypasted in again in the last panel. Also why does the minotaur need to be here, he didn't do anything. The apothecary could've just handed Snout the book herself.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That's kinda hot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ahahaha he really loving did try it. Motherfucker.

I would unironically clap if he ended this abortion of an arc / comic revival this way.

Perfect.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The minotaur didn't even interact with Snout. Snout bumped into him once and then Arudak got a cupcake from him.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe the real Legacy of Dominic Deegan was the strangers we bumped into along the way.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The legacy is all the mongrelmen that resulted from Dominic's attempt to restore and test his punched balls.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

YF-23 posted:

The minotaur didn't even interact with Snout. Snout bumped into him once and then Arudak got a cupcake from him.

They read the script as well. So they to know Snout is going to be important. Anyway.

So, everyone called him waking up after everything was over. Now for the wall of text update explaining what Mookie couldn't be assed to draw.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

establishing shots are for losers

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I'm so sorry.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The harshest thing will be the easiest to draw and thus what’s actually going to happen: they’re ink witches so the journal will be 100% blank. They read it, got the info they needed, and took the ink.

maltesh posted:

But everyone's into cumbersome ways to do ordinary things, so my guess is: The book's completely physically intact, but all the pages are blank. Ink Witch II took the written words with her.

This has been a very predictable week.

Ripping pages out of a book is such a visceral action, just imagining the effort it takes to rip out all the pages and the dedication you'd have to have to destroy a harmless object draws a picture of an unreasonably spiteful rear end in a top hat. So then, why would you completely neuter it by just having them take the ink. The blank pages are so less visually pleasing than seeing a destroyed book, and since we know the book can be restored there's no emotional reaction to Snout permanently losing something he's presumedly spent years creating. Feels like Mookie really flubbed an easy emotional moment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or why not just... take the diary?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I assume it reeks of Snout.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Achievement Unlocked: Rags to Ruin.
-- Destroy every single object owned by Snout.