Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm still just flabbergasted that THIS is the story Mookie feels driven to tell

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Thanks! I hate it.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I don't understand this flow of actions. It just doesn't feel like any panel leads in to the next

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It doesn't matter, the important thing is that the naked lady ends up in an extremely sexual position straddling the hero.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I guess she is weeping mad over...the existence of books?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Over/under on this going to very uncomfortable places?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Regalingualius posted:

Over/under on this going to very uncomfortable places?

Going?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
a jazzhands edit would be redundant at this point

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Okay.

Going to even more uncomfortable places than Mookie has ever gone before, then?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

:cursed:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ok, so: we have three characters in the cabin’s backstory.

The first is an adult who loves writing in his diary - and gave who up all his possessions to go on a magical journey into the wilderness - while the second is a friendly and innocent dogman. We can call these two “Horny Snout” and “Innocent Snout”.

The third character is literally a mass of black, honey-flavoured ink in the form of a woman whose song makes Horny Snout uncontrollably horny. We can call this character “The Ink Witch”.

In a plot point that seems curiously familiar, Innocent Shout has his mind forcibly merged with that of The Ink Witch via ink magic. The nuance, however, is that the Ink Witch doesn’t fully exist; she’s just a manifestation of Horny Snout’s horniness. The power of the ink is such that it makes Horny Snout manifest a quasi-necrophiliac rape fantasy that literally “corrupts his innocence”. When this ritual is complete, it will allow Horny Snout to “jack off”.

So, yadda yadda yadda, Actual Snout shows up and says “gently caress you” to his horny self, gets blessed by his innocent self, and wrassles the scary nude magic ink woman corpse until she cries and presumably begs forgiveness or something.

What could it possibly mean??

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

:master:

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 23, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Ugh it's going to be one of those scenes. Lady is angry, but she's really sad and afraid. Her face softens, and she stars bawling and hugging the dude she was smacking previously.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Little Death posted:

Ugh it's going to be one of those scenes. Lady is angry, but she's really sad and afraid. Her face softens, and she stars bawling and hugging the dude she was smacking previously.

Preferable to the inverse-Stonewater I was starting to fear.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The Little Death posted:

Wait, gently caress, now I know where this is going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVeKyqV1jWU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, gently caress, now I know where this is going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVeKyqV1jWU

Yeah gently caress that's it lol! That exact beat.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

so I found an old keenspot dominic deegan forum thread that's just full of incredibly, incredibly stupid edits of the comics and honestly it's the best

they're from like a decade ago so ok some of the humour is less than great, but it's just a cascade of stupid edits where the more there are and the more dumb they are the better. full of weird running gags like stunt's head on various characters, "siegfried's dead", old memes

the thread

also yeah, reading the other posts in the forum this is one of the fan forums that turned against mookie hard lol

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
These are fantastic. Thanks for the link

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Lol they were mocking star power when it came out, and there are a few new threads expressing cautious optimism about Legacy before becoming incredibly frustrated with the "no dialogue" thing. Our friends from another world.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I'm genuinely shocked not only that those forums are still online, but they were active enough to talk about Legacy in any capacity.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
And they have posts dating all the way back to 2004 that call out Mookie's depiction of women after the Pam Scene. I found that by accident just clicking around some of the older pages at random and aside from the hope that things will "get better" it feels pretty spot on.

That forum is a time capsule for an internet archaeologist.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is gonna get worse before it-

I mean it's gonna get worse.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

How did the panel 3->4 transition happen? Did Snout roll over while he was being pinned down?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

YF-23 posted:

How did the panel 3->4 transition happen? Did Snout roll over while he was being pinned down?
Snout is such a spineless waste of space that he can roll over regardless of all circumstances. Crucify that pathetic wretch and he'll still figure out a way to roll over.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Chapter 12: The Storm of Souls Part 2

So we start off by recapping what just happened and having Dominic explain out the emotional importance of the scene. Mookie does this a lot and it just robs the story of any subtlety or craft. It makes her feel like a 10-year-old is writing it. And then out of nowhere a random thing happens to move the plot along.

Dominic is being contacted by Klo Tark, a weird fishman of indeterminate species or origin who will be one of his main allies in this conflict. I will say that there's a bit of a clever time travel/paradox sort reason as to why Klo Tark is reaching out now, but reading it all at once you do again realize that Mookie is super dependent on just having knowledge given to Dominic to move the plot forward. Thinking back I realize I don't think there is one point in the comic where he actually does any sort of investigation or deduces anything without the help of another omniscient character or his own omniscient visions. I know it I feel like that just as only about Mookie's worldview that his character needs everything told to him and that he just receives on down as the hundred percent truth and there is never any ambiguity.

This reminds me of Maz Kannada in the New Star Wars saying "a good story, for another time". Even if you wink at the audience Mookie it doesn't change the fact that your non-exhalation is bullshit.

Again, when Klo Tark says "begin your search" he means making an orgasm face and receive the wisdom of Mookie onto you as a revelation.

Again this forced domestic schmaltz is sort of painful given how hollow their relationship is.

once more, the fetishization of the smart nerdy girl. But but again, here is characters just know this knowledge they don't have to go through the act of acquiring it in any way, or spend time or resources or anything. I mean in this case it's literally just elemental rock paper scissors like every basic D&D game or Pokémon but still

Gross.

even dead she can't get rest from Mookie's perversion

So here were introduced to Helixa, the main villain for this arc. And here's where the red flags starts to go up again. I'm just going to ruin a bit of the stuff that we'll learn later. Helixa is a necromancer, but she dresses like a character out of Erossus. There's no reason for this – and it sort of undermines her character. Also, no points forget it guessing how she eventually dies, or what sort of things we might see when that happens. But actually Helixa gets two deaths on screen because she is a necromancer who resurrects every time she dies, so were treated to one death where she slowly dies in agony after being paralyzed before getting her second on-screen death. Just letting you know.

Helixa is the leader of the chosen, and is trying to recruit Celesto to fight Dominic.

Here's where things get a little odd, this seems to be some sort of foretold event that we never really get the details of. Chaos and law are also these objective forces that are working to fundamentally alter the world. Except they're not. The the forces on both sides are revealed soon to just be people who had a sort of dumb anime/Saturday morning cartoon conflict hundreds of years ago. It's just weird to go with this extreme prophetic imagery when you don't write a story that has any sort of God or grant prophecy or anything associated to it. I think when Mookie is reading base was younger it was easy to just fill in the blanks and not notice that he did this, but rereading the story now it's very very weird.

And Celesto comes right on board. His motivations become incredibly confused in this arc, because he doesn't really want to free the world of anything. Even the sort of conformity versus freedom idea really is presented in name only it never sort of comes up or is explained in any way. It really seems that Mookie means law more like the light side of the force and chaos more like the dark side of the force.\

Chapter 12: The Storm of Souls Part 3

there's that face!

so here's where we find out what Acibek is. He is the Ultron to do the sash wearing elf's Iron Man. Or Hank Pym if you're being true to the original. He is theoretically the ultimate expression of "law". In fact the word Acibek is actually a name for a sort of multi-souled golem, that gives it independent thoughts and motivations. I'm just saying this because it actually becomes relevant as several characters including Dirk the mighty are revealed to be Acibeks. It sort of ridiculous that Dominic's first random adventure into the woods would involve meeting characters who were so deeply deeply intertwined with this insane world destroying conspiracy.

so like Ultron he turns against his creator

But he does so for what can only be described as a chaotic good reason! This is where I do think we need to do a bit of psychoanalysis on Mookie again. When I read that rant on "lawful good" that Mookie did, I realized that his D&D opinions really said something about his general worldview, which we are seeing here again. We know that Mookie sees only black and white in morality, but I find it interesting that he here he writes a character who basically substitutes what can only be described as a supreme or divine law for mortal laws. Even with Mookie's liberal operating she still conceives of r law and goodness as intrinsically being universal to all and understandable to all. Now I don't have to tell you that there's been a lot of ink spilled on the philosophical question of whether that is true and what it might mean in terms of ethics. But does it with star power I find it interesting that his morality which is so objectively black-and-white, always has his characters in the right even when they are doing certain things which really are indefensible. There's something about the combination of those two things I actually find problematic. The inability to conceive of you being wrong combined with an absolute certainty of the obvious goodness of certain choices. I know where I'm going with this it's just it sticks out so much to me that he has the avatar of law supersede temporal authority because he has decided that his law is better.

There's also the fact that Acibek instantly knows all the ways that his master has betrayed his followers. I guess it's coming from the fact that he is made of the souls of these people, but this trope of just objectively knowing the right thing to say, the right piece of knowledge, of casting see the truth, if you will, is everywhere in Mookie's writing. It really feels as though he is commuting the idea that there is one singular truth that if it was accessible would mean everybody would be on the same side, except for the superduper baddies who Mookie can punish. I don't know there's just something about how much he depends on essentially revelation that feels like some sort of deeply ingrained Christian understanding of reality.

Helixa saves the elf leader

and is revealed to be the necromancer that attacked the Deegans previously.

Still wearing her sexy black leather outfit to attack them.

Again mom is a modest girl in a long flowing dress even if she's bloodied and has one boob showing, Helixa is dressed sexually to provoke a direct contradiction between the two, where again fetish gear and sex substitute in for evil. Mookie is not the only one to do stuff like this but it does make you think

Again, first we've heard of any of this. But also Dominic is working out in his brain superfast and moves on. And again now it's the idea of law is computer code, Mookies all over the place with these metaphors. I guess following this logic chaos magic must be just saying whatever you want and having it happen anyway.

Time for more deliberate vision seeking! Again what a lazy trope to depend on so often.

Acibek had his own superteam, including RIllian, the sylvan oracle and Klo Tark, who is the dude on the right. I was interpreted his weird ears as axolotl gills which is why I think of him as a fish person. I know axolots aren't fish, but Klo Tark is canonically bright blue so I think it fits.

Sash elf is back, having embraced the powers of chaos somehow through no explained means.

Again here's sort of extremely strange pseudo-philosophical dialogue about chaos and order and weakness and strength. But the chaos isn't one where only the strong will survive, it's not just random anarchy, is not anything that you associate only with chaos

Again this is much more hell ritual that it is chaos to me. Who or what the chosen are trying to accomplish with this storm what the world is what looked like afterwards it sort of left as an exercise to the reader.

Even in the past, and Deegan world people to solve things instantly. Love the elf being super confident that Rillian just killed Acibek for no reason.

Here's the Klo Tark twist

Klo Tark in the past scries into the future as he knows Dominic is spying on him.

he fights Dominic with DBZ mind beams

but again has the truth revealed to him so that he can get on the side of good. Conflict resolved

Again mildly clever, but I don't think Mookie enough of the legwork to earn feeling good about it. Klo Tark's face also has a weird rebreather mask on it by the way, in actuality his face looks a lot like snouts only with a flatter end.

Again more meaningless magical rules that dont' matter and won't come up again. I don't mind setting out the rules of magic, as long as you have a story reason, and not some contirved nonsense after the fact that no one cares about.

so we end this section, with some standard hero talk from Dominic he's a curmudgeon but he still has a good heart and going to help his friends and family. Except I don't know I don't feel that Dominic has earned this moment of indecision before resolving to help. It feels more like Mookie is aping other better media here. Again this is me being really nitpicky negative but everything that's happened so far has happened in an crudely small space of time, he has so far not lost anything of significance or sacrifice anything big to win and there's no real sense what the stakes are for him now if he does decide to help.

So yeah the story in retrospect feels incredibly rushed were already reaching the point where all the mysteries are gone and all that's left is the DBZ laser fights and magic technobabble to save the day. There's actually a lot of filler in this arc that comes in the next couple of parts that really has nothing to do with the main story itself,except to come up with a contrived "is the world worth saving"reflection on Dominic's part, which is its own kind of stupid and bad.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 23, 2020

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Celesto at this point is the best character. He has a solid motivation to oppose the poo poo of a protagonist
but he cannot be allowed to be better than Dominic, so Mookie shall destroy him like he does Siegfried

chaos nuns

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

It's very telling about Mookie that the story and entire cast treats Celesto's 5-day affair with Amelia like they were childhood sweethearts who loved each other their entire lives.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Miss posted:

Celesto at this point is the best character. He has a solid motivation to oppose the poo poo of a protagonist
but he cannot be allowed to be better than Dominic, so Mookie shall destroy him like he does Siegfried

But because Dominic can never sully his hands he turns into Vegeta. Except that Goku killed plenty of bad guys- King Piccolo and a bunch more in Dragonball, Freeza (Sort-of), Kid Buu...

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
So Dominic, to learn more about this secret history, has to sit at his desk and put his fingers on his head and go "I want to know the plot behind X now!" and that's it. No quest for sympathetic items, no reagants or rituals, just, "I'd like the plot now, thank you!"

When I was 14 I didn't write Mary Sues this contrived and boring.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I forgot how Anakin-like Celesto's recruitment is.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I really like how Celesto is like "ok I know it wasn't Dominic that killed my lover but I'll blame him anyway because he's the good guy and I'm the bad guy".

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Helixa goes a step beyond characters just knowing anything that Mookie knows and literally reads Celesto's mind.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

Helixa goes a step beyond characters just knowing anything that Mookie knows and literally reads Celesto's mind.

There's also the question of where exactly she just came from. The "magic" excuse obviously can always apply, but I like to think she waiting just off-panel for the camera to pan to her dramatically. Standing there all night just waiting for the moment. We know the characters look directly at the audience to express displeasure about puns, so obviously the 4th wall is very apparent to them.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It's extremely plausible that Mookie just forgot that those previous lines where in thought bubbles and that's very funny.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So I know mookie purposely doesnt plan things out, but, to this point it does seem like he had like...ideas? He may not have sketched out anything that would happen in a real timeline, but he had a rough outline of things he wanted to do.

It's just interesting to compare any of these stories, not just this one, to Legacy where byu this point it is full stop question marks and shrugs every single page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

rannum posted:

So I know mookie purposely doesnt plan things out, but, to this point it does seem like he had like...ideas? He may not have sketched out anything that would happen in a real timeline, but he had a rough outline of things he wanted to do.

It's just interesting to compare any of these stories, not just this one, to Legacy where byu this point it is full stop question marks and shrugs every single page.

No he was definitely coming up with vague story arks at this point, in fact SoS ends with a bunch of teaser images for story arcs that would follow.