Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mx. posted:

absolutely inimitable work from the master

True art is never appreciated in its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

MiracleFlare posted:

I don't even think this is a case of Mookie realizing how terrible her portrayal before now was and clumsily trying to change that within the story, because instead of fixing anything it doubles down on earlier impressions of Snout being... I don't want to assume he's analogous to white because he's of a fantasy species with no clear equivalent to any real-world culture, and there's always the chance Mookie will indicate something else in the future. But at the moment Snout and Corpselady's dynamics have been reminiscent of white savior tropes for a long while, and this page nails it in.

the author is a white man who's shown a complete lack of interest in the inner lives of anyone who doesn't conform to his beliefs and experiences in his writing. snout could red, blue, orange or green and he'd still be white

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Also, Snout is Mookie. He looks like Mookie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This is just...

Grotesque.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Snout has basically the same expression as that one 'standing ovation' drawing, which seems to be the intellectual equivalent of mookie's sex face. Because this is loving masturbatory.

Like, almost literally...it's really uncomfortable to watch.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It being really gross and uncomfortable just means it is finally worthy of being a successor comic to the original.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

thanks, i hate it

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. She had won the victory over herself. She loved Snout.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Holy poo poo how creepy! Just when it started looking like this comic was a lost cause. Thank god Snout is such a nice guy, so nice and so kind, that his nice kindness helped the woman get her wild emotions in check.

I like how just like with Greg Deegan Mookie can't just have a self insert comfortable with their shortcomings. Greg can't just find personal fulfillment in his music after he loses his magic, he's gotta be a rockstar that's even more beloved than when he was a superhero. Snout can't just be content with being less knowledgeable than everyone else, he's gotta be assured, multiple times, that his kindness was the lynchpin in this woman's recovery. lmao.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

When people are physically and emotionally abusive to you... You just have to be patient with them! It's ok, she apologized, she's cured now!

gently caress this. This is officially this comics' Elf War moment. There is no redemption possible after this point.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm going to hate this but what's the Elf War thing referring to?

Also extremely cool writing your entire saga around the value of "kindness" and choosing a disabled character to make your paragon of the magical doormat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Caphi posted:

I'm going to hate this but what's the Elf War thing referring to?

Long answer: check my posts in this thread, I did a deep dive into Star Power, and there's a very, very infuriating moment in Mookie's writer career in issue 4.4. For me, it was the moment the comic went from "dumb but harmless" to "offensively bad."

Short answer: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893205&userid=27351&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post507210774

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, I read Star Power in the thread but I forgot it was those elves. loving lol.

Honestly I think this might be worse. The Elf War was misguided, but it was earnestly political and we're engaging it on those terms. What's happening to Snout is purely masturbatory.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And to think we might STILL get into politics with that whole orc classism thing!

Wasn't this comic about someone's legacy at some point? Probably doesn't matter.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The note doesn't even name the technique used beyond "that flower," which implies that the writer of the note (Scribe Orc?) doesn't know what Sunflower did, or intended to do.

A part of me wants to believe that this vague and pandering note is a deliberate attempt to appease Snout, and conceal from him everything that is actually happening and being said here.

Can't really convince myself that the comic would do that, though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
There is absolutely no way he would do that, but yeah it might actually be interesting if Snout strolled off all happy and they went "Okay good he bought our bullshit and left, now we can do some real research into this."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wasn't this comic about someone's legacy at some point? Probably doesn't matter.

Dominic Deegan's Legacy is a webcomic in which Mookie has to remind cons about Dominic Deegan because he peaked two decades ago but wants to keep doing his generic advice panel and hoping some rando will "glomp" him because they remember Dominic Deegan fondly (for some reason).

When cons were canceled last year he took a trip to a cabin in the woods because he got depressed.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Mookie called this page "Snout gets a positive review from his companion"

That screams so much about how Mookie sees the world and understands relationships

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
TFW you return home unexpectedly and discover your roommate jacking off to a photo of himself.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Now I'm just remembering those Tim Buckley parody comics. "I saw a beautiful face in the mirror today...it was me."

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

This isn't even the first time Snout has been desperate for that kind of approval, imagining glowing "reviews" from Arudak about the incredibly banal contents of his diary.

You know...I'm not even sure what his diary was supposed to have in it that was so significant at the time...? At the time it included the details about the pages, which weren't relevant since Arudak actually had the pages at the time. It had the information about him rescuing the inkwitch and the pagefinder but none of that was relevant either.

The only thing left was descriptions of snout's dreams, which amounted to the single statement "I have seen some weird symbols in my dreams" which was a fact that was already communicated. The only thing Arudak seemed to care about from the diary was the "Q&A" with the ink witch, which just amounted to a way to bring him into that past conversation, but as far as I can tell it wasn't the reason why snout offered his diary for arudak to read.

This also makes Redactor's interest in snout's diary even more bizarre, given that there is actually nothing in it that she seemed to care about. If she wanted info on the pages (or cared about them) then presumably she'd have taken them from Arudak. Likewise, if she cared about the dream stuff she'd have presumably taken the book on Astinotaph, or deleted it like she did snout's diary.

Amusingly, her reaction to the diary is almost identical to Sunflower's: In the middle of a dramatic, chaotic situation she just picks up this goon's book and starts reading it right in the middle of things.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s fun how he got punched two days ago hard enough to fly across a large street but had no lingering effects.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
This is the opposite of art and I loving love it and hope Mookie never stops.

It's like the most outsider of outsider art, and kind of like how Harry Potter is to Rowling, a really amazing unintentional insight into a certain sort of diseased worldview.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Mors Rattus posted:

It’s fun how he got punched two days ago hard enough to fly across a large street but had no lingering effects.

Fly across the street and then pass out no less...but then he's come too just a few minutes later with just some smelling salts.

And since everyone operates as some kind of generalized hive mind, both IWP and Arudak knew he was fine and made no particular effort to go back and check on him after...whatever...happened with Redactor (seriously, the fact that she presumably kidnaps both of them and just...lets them go?...is one of the most bizarre cases of plot just giving up and dying in this comic.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bad ink witch looks like she just read the most recent comic

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus, what the gently caress is this bullshit

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

oriongates posted:

This isn't even the first time Snout has been desperate for that kind of approval, imagining glowing "reviews" from Arudak about the incredibly banal contents of his diary.

You know...I'm not even sure what his diary was supposed to have in it that was so significant at the time...? At the time it included the details about the pages, which weren't relevant since Arudak actually had the pages at the time. It had the information about him rescuing the inkwitch and the pagefinder but none of that was relevant either.

The only thing left was descriptions of snout's dreams, which amounted to the single statement "I have seen some weird symbols in my dreams" which was a fact that was already communicated. The only thing Arudak seemed to care about from the diary was the "Q&A" with the ink witch, which just amounted to a way to bring him into that past conversation, but as far as I can tell it wasn't the reason why snout offered his diary for arudak to read.

This also makes Redactor's interest in snout's diary even more bizarre, given that there is actually nothing in it that she seemed to care about. If she wanted info on the pages (or cared about them) then presumably she'd have taken them from Arudak. Likewise, if she cared about the dream stuff she'd have presumably taken the book on Astinotaph, or deleted it like she did snout's diary.

Amusingly, her reaction to the diary is almost identical to Sunflower's: In the middle of a dramatic, chaotic situation she just picks up this goon's book and starts reading it right in the middle of things.

I could totally see Mookie going for a reveal that while it is just meaningless babble at first glance (...and second), Snout had actually been unconsciously writing in a cipher for “the TRUE meaning of Dominic’s legacy”, or something like that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence except instead of touching the monolith and going through the Star Gate the comic is just disappearing up its own rear end at relativistic speeds.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Cloacamazing! posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. She had won the victory over herself. She loved Snout.

:perfect:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh man, I forgot all about Ink Witch ruffling Snout's head in an "Oh bless your heart" manner.

And goddamn Snout's face in the final panel of that second comic is some MC Escher poo poo.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This is the opposite of art and I loving love it and hope Mookie never stops.

It's like the most outsider of outsider art, and kind of like how Harry Potter is to Rowling, a really amazing unintentional insight into a certain sort of diseased worldview.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
God loving drat. I got distracted yesterday, so when I saw all the new posts I expected some loving bullshit, but I have to admit, I assumed this comic was so dull that it was in response to a new part of the OG Deegan retrospective. This is just... woof. I read half of the first panel of text before I started saying "oh no" to myself and then I read the rest of it. Jesus.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
No.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:getin:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I need an adult

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

:wtc:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nope. I'm done.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Whatever the storytelling equivalent of a cat always landing on its feet is, this is the opposite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Oh Mookie, I had almost given up hope. Here it is.