Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I find it almost impossible to believe that Mookie won't callout the Nighthawks trace as a "referrence". No one can be that ignorant, to assume that one of the most famous piece of Americana could be traced exactly and not have people notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

The Little Death posted:

I find it almost impossible to believe that Mookie won't callout the Nighthawks trace as a "referrence". No one can be that ignorant, to assume that one of the most famous piece of Americana could be traced exactly and not have people notice it.

You are giving mookie a lot of undeserved credit. Only time can tell.

Also, can we talk about how mookie's additions to one of the most famous paintings of all time, famously about solitude and isolation, was to clutter it with a bunch of blurry background extras and change it from night to day? Perfection.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 31, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He did steal that one Watchmen quote.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is he gearing up to draw an awkward naked-sleeping threesome?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Little Death posted:

He is 100% the kind of person who wants everyone to know how "clever" he is, but doesn't trust them to figure it out on their own.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

He could at least have replaced the coffee machines in the background.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
But then how would anyone know that he traced has seen fine art?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

He could at least have replaced the coffee machines in the background.

Covfefe machines.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does anyone hate themselves enough to go back through all the pages and see any odd examples that may be more tracery?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also I've been getting a real constant dose of webcomics penis from MM&O and its always a delight

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If that other obvious tracery was of another extremely famous painting I'd think he was doing a long-term thing where he traced had homages to various famous works, diluted and ruined reimagined in a fantasy environment, which could be neat if executed by a competent artist and author well. Given the 50/50 split between tracing a random picture and a famous piece of art, my expectations are so low that they're at risk of underflowing kinda low.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ok, well I’m less offended by the low effort tracejob and more annoyed by the inconsistency of Mongreltown’s ascetic. A honestly minor thing given this comic.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

quote:

It should be obvious to anyone that the first panel in today’s page is a reference to Edward Hopper’s famous painting, “Nighthawks.” You know the one. In case you don’t know, here it is:

Pretty strikingly similar, right? From the positioning of Snout and Arudak, to the hunch of the man behind the counter, to the layout of the restaurant on the corner of the two city streets. I even originally intended to make the name of the Mongreltown diner “Nighthawk’s” but it wasn’t working out. You might say I nailed it with unerring accuracy, and there’s a reason for that:

I used Procreate to trace the image for that exact accuracy, and I’ve used that method for a few other backgrounds since I switched to working digitally.
I’m saying this plainly not as an admission of “guilt,” but as using a tool that’s available to modern artists that I’ve come around to greatly appreciating.

I’ll happily talk about my method of using digital tracing: For a few panels I’ve used simple Google image searches to find inspiration for backgrounds. I laid the image down in the panel I wanted to use and penciled over the general shape of what I wanted. Once I got the pencils down, I started to add my own modifications. Most of these modifications have been adding Snout and lots of mongrelfolk, as well as making the buildings look like they belong in Mongreltown. Then, when I start to put inks over the pencils, I use what I’ve learned from years of making comics to accentuate and emphasize what I want, and to further put my style into the image.

I used this same technique with several commissions from the recent Kickstarter campaign, mostly those from people who specifically asked me to draw their portraits. I decided to try it out because people specifically wanted me to draw them, and I wanted to make sure I was getting the proportions of their facial features, just the right curve of their smile, and other things that would make their portraits undeniably them.

The knee-jerk reaction some people have is that any form of tracing is cheating, lazy, or both… but the movie poster artist Drew Struzan has, I believe, the most eloquent defense of the use of tracing. He says it better than I can, his work is phenomenal, and I’ve modeled my technique (when there’s an ambitious background that would normally give me trouble) after his.

Tracing, when used properly, can be an amazing teaching tool for artists. Many different digital art programs allow you to transfer poses from existing images or comic books to use as a model or reference. Some people own fancy articulated posing dolls that they take photos of, transfer that image over to their comic, and trace the pose for their own use. Tracing, when used properly, isn’t some magical shortcut to disguise a lack of talent, but a method to improve an artist’s comfort level and build familiarity.

I used to effectively avoid backgrounds in the Oracle for Hire years. The panels were small, and dominated by characters and dialogue. One of the reasons I decided to make The Legacy dialogue-free was to challenge myself to improve, to get out of my comfort zone and focus on the very thing that proved difficult for years. In some cases, I’m using tracing as a method of improvement, and I can already feel myself becoming more comfortable thanks to it.

Maybe you agree with this and think that tracing is a valid method of improvement. Maybe you think I’m a lazy cheater on the occasions I implement tracing in my technique. But I know for certain that I’m happy to share my learning experiences with you, as openly and honestly as I have always been.

Bolding his.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
First of all, has he given a single ounce of credit to the other artist(s) whose work he's used? He could get away with it for something so recognizable like the Nighthawks because most people will, even if they don't remember the name of the painting or the painter, at least know enough to search something like "famous diner painting". I kind of suspect the reason he's even saying anything is that it's so recognizable that someone would inevitably bring it up if he didn't say it first.

But what about art done by people who don't have the benefit of being well-known? For example, in that traced image of the park, how many people are going to know first that it was traced at all, and then know that the original photo was taken by Jake Tobin Garrett, a guest writer who took photos for a city design project? Which also makes it doubly lovely that Mookie hasn't even acknowledged he's using photos that were taken for a specific organization and specific reason. Instead he just talks about how much pride he has in having drawn that page.

And that's just what traces are known. What other background shots are traced? Who knows, he's sure not telling anyone! And without credit, the original artists and photographers are completely lost if an image isn't immediately recognizable or easy to find in a search.

Second, from what I can tell from the video he's citing, the illustrator isn't talking about grabbing uncredited images off of Google Search. He's a professional movie poster creator, talking about working with major film releases and using their resources (presumably with permission) to create said posters. So, while it makes sense why Mookie might want to do it for portraits of real people, assuming the commissioners know that their photos will be used that way, it starts to fall apart when for his comic he grabs the first thing he sees off Google and covers it in tree brush paint.

There's also the question of if he's actually doing anything transformative or making a meaningful allusion, or if he's only using Nighthawks because he wanted a diner scene. But I feel like that's subjective territory and I am not nearly smart enough to talk capital-A Art.

Tracing can be a valid tool if used with proper care, and used to learn about specific aspects such as, for example, the way lights and shadows fall upon a scene. However, there's a huge different between using tracing as a personal learning tool and not publishing the work, and publishing it anyway and not even having the bare minimum courtesy to acknowledge the original photographer.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 1, 2020

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah it's not great when he's just like "found it on google lol" instead of using a) art with permission, b) art in the public domain/with public license and/or c) crediting the original artist

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MiracleFlare posted:

Second, from what I can tell from the video he's citing, the illustrator isn't talking about grabbing uncredited images off of Google Search. He's a professional movie poster creator, talking about working with major film releases and using their resources (presumably with permission) to create said posters. So, while it makes sense why Mookie might want to do it for portraits of real people, assuming the commissioners know that their photos will be used that way, it starts to fall apart when for his comic he grabs the first thing he sees off Google and covers it in tree brush paint.

Also from that video (c. 1m30s): "Photography doesn't often do that well, yeah it reflects exactly what you see, but artists hopefully aren't just drawing what they see but what they understand."

He's specifically talking about tracing photographs and then using his artistic ability to convert that framework into actual artwork.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

It would make more sense if he wasn't literally tracing the image (throw around dumb photoshop terms all you want, it's tracing) but then completely changing the context and ideas behind the original. Homer Simpson being lonely and isolated and then the shot pulling out into looking just like the Nighthawks setting but with a Springfield diner and Homer at the table is an homage or a tribute. This garbage is just laziness disguised as pretentious horse poo poo.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

Does anyone hate themselves enough to go back through all the pages and see any odd examples that may be more tracery?

I've done this recently and none stood out to me. That's not to say he didn't trace any of the other backgrounds from old Green Lantern comics, just that none seemed too obvious.

So in order to defend tracing stuff off GIS, rather than make his own argument, he... copy pastes in someone else's without understanding that it's also specifically dunking on what he's done? This guy is too much. Just when I think mookie can't be a bigger piece of poo poo.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Really wanna see these portrait commissions that he traced, which are definitely not uncanny monsters akin to Greg Land’s art.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I feel like choosing Nighthawks was his way of hanging a lampshade on his tracing. He obviously knew people were talking about it, so now he's done it in a way that is so blatant he can pretend there was never any attempt to obscure his tracing at all.

It's also not just the background he's tracing. He used the entire scene composition and doesn't really alter it in any way. He just inserts his characters into it. I feel like that's actually a level beyond using it as a shortcut for filling in the skybox or having a city scene out the window. This one is actually better than the park because he at least changed the background building a little instead of tracing every window and branch like the park scene. That bench was so exact it makes me think he ran it through a filter target than tracing at all.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
A common novice art tip I've seen for drawing stuff is to draw a (for example) shrimp from memory with no reference, then trace over a bunch of images of one angle, then a bunch of another, and then a bunch of another and so on until you have a massive collection of a shrimp from many angles. Then you have to draw a shrimp from memory in a brand new pose now that you understand how its body fits together and ooh wow look at the difference, you can draw a really good shrimp now!

The difference between that and what Mookie does is that you don't upload the first trace and pretend you did art good. And if he has decided to make it intentional, what is the intent? What statement is he making about mongrel society juxtaposed with IRL art and photography?

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
If his idea of challenging himself is tracing Nighthawks, then that's just sad. What kind of artist can't do simple two-point perspective with orthogonal lines?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The main theme of the painting Nighthawks is loneliness, and it evokes wonder about the lives and circumstances of the people pictured, and how they ended up at a diner in the dead of night.

Mookie's traced version is full of people in the middle of the day.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

michael "mookie" terraciano has been an artist for two decades, and to this day he does not understand art

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dabir posted:

michael "mookie" terraciano has been an artist for two decades, and to this day he does not understand art

this is quite an amazing feat really

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

The Little Death posted:

I feel like choosing Nighthawks was his way of hanging a lampshade on his tracing. He obviously knew people were talking about it, so now he's done it in a way that is so blatant he can pretend there was never any attempt to obscure his tracing at all.

It’s so this. Mookie may not read here, but he obviously reads people’s opinions somewhere and noted people were talking about his background tracing. So he traces something absurdly obvious, then explains he’s tracing so he can justify it in the future.

I’ll reiterate my opinion. I am less annoyed with tracing Nihthawks and more annoyed by how just tracing your backgrounds makes your Mongreltown seem inconsistent. It’s like a ninja village from Naruto, but with a Central Park, an open air market, and a 1940s diner. It feels all over the place.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Drunk Theory posted:

I’ll reiterate my opinion. I am less annoyed with tracing Nihthawks and more annoyed by how just tracing your backgrounds makes your Mongreltown seem inconsistent. It’s like a ninja village from Naruto, but with a Central Park, an open air market, and a 1940s diner. It feels all over the place.

Mookie doesn't want consistency in his setting. Just like he doesn't like planning the plot in advance, preferring to come up with each strip at the last minute (which results in a lot of pointless filler comics when he has no idea what to do), he also doesn't like planning the world in advance. I remember he once wrote in the rant section under the strip something like not liking to make fantasy maps because it'd constrain him to the locales already placed and limit his ability to change the relative distances whenever convenient for the plot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

[It feels all over the place.
[/quote]

mild edge baby!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To be fair about Mongreltown having an out of place 1940s diner, I think Dexter Jettster is a better fit for the Deeganverse than for Star Wars.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

I've done this recently and none stood out to me. That's not to say he didn't trace any of the other backgrounds from old Green Lantern comics, just that none seemed too obvious.

Sometimes when I got bored I would check and see if he uploaded the comic any earlier than his usual. I remember the first week of walking going up extra early, and I think there was even a buffer of one page at a point. At first I thought the landscapes were the first part of the legacy he was actually invested in which made him get them done faster, but tracing them would save him a bunch of time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cat Mattress posted:

Mookie doesn't want consistency in his setting. Just like he doesn't like planning the plot in advance, preferring to come up with each strip at the last minute (which results in a lot of pointless filler comics when he has no idea what to do), he also doesn't like planning the world in advance. I remember he once wrote in the rant section under the strip something like not liking to make fantasy maps because it'd constrain him to the locales already placed and limit his ability to change the relative distances whenever convenient for the plot.

At the hands of a more competent writer/artist this could've been a mirror of mongrelfolk themselves having varied forms, with a mismatch of beauty and ugliness. But it's mookie so it just comes off as extremely lazy.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh and new page

I find Snout’s new outfit...unappealing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Wait is that the exact same 'bumps into one-winged mutant who then flies off erratically' gag and panel from earlier?

I'm in awe of how bad this comic is. It keeps getting, impossibly, worse.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

If this is a new outfit Arudak bought him from a tailor, why does it have those lovely looking patches on it? Did we really need an origin story for why Snout bought new clothes? Couldn't he just go to a store, deposit one Bison mongrel dollar, and have new clothes if mookie really wanted to draw him in overalls that badly? What is going on with Snout's hog that it's making that weird trapezoid-shaped bulge in the crotch?

Joe Slowboat posted:

Wait is that the exact same 'bumps into one-winged mutant who then flies off erratically' gag and panel from earlier?

Yep, that's Sephiroth again. His wing seems to have stabilized in the smooth, unscalloped form. I guess this is proof the "Family Circus" line was his erratic flight pattern and not stink lines.

Why is Snout still running into people? He's deaf, not blind.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's like Boku no pico but a boring webcomic instead! YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The... The little "deaf" patch right on his chest... What the gently caress. Why, Mookie. Why.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope my deaf uncle never find out about this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wow, clothing that doesn't make you have to keep holding your pants up with your hands exists. What incredible new technology.