Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Libra posted:

The shortest one is Lies, Sisters and Wives, which is just a 35 page comical farce.
Transdimensional Brain chip is the next shortest at 188 pages, then it goes Trixie, Accidental Space Spy and finally Hitmen for Destiny.

Thanks! I'll check those out when I'm done with Trixie. Next time I need a burner email name, I'm going with "Hank Genocide."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Saunamassacre is such a fantastic last name also

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It would make a pretty good SA handle too. I just got to the wedding. This comic is incredible.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Libra posted:

Accidental Space Spy and Transdimensional Brain Chip take some extremely wacky concepts to their most extreme possible conclusions, but they end up feeling a bit half-baked story-wise for me.

I don't disagree, but something about the ending to Transdimensional Brain Chip has made it one of those things that really stick with me that I still think about again time to time, also the none of these events were connected, we're just in a dimension where by chance each one didn't happen revelation.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 17, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Can't wait to see what it is. The premise excites me. I was curious about the author but can't learn much about him. Looks like his sites are nice and 1.0 in that way which once more is a refreshing change of pace. Øyvind Thorsby is an interesting name but I'm not very good at delineating between the Scandinavian countries. Is he perhaps Norwegian? Maybe that's how he came up with the idea for the unusual schema for the characters' last names. The extremely direct way the characters speak, with statements like "Just because it makes sense does not mean it is true." and "Good. Continue to feel bad" I somehow feel makes more sense in light of this.

I have a small continuity question: When mindmugger!Lyndon made the illusion of the deer thing and the other mindmugger charged through it and died, why did that not cause him to lose the ability to do illusion magic? Does his magic give him a pass when he is being possessed/mind controlled and is not consciously using his magic to harm or kill, or is there a different explanation?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 17, 2020

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

transdimensional brain chip is so ...
i can't find the words
it definitely sticks with you

also i'm mad that thorsby hasn't started another new long comic yet

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

I have a small continuity question: When mindmugger!Lyndon made the illusion of the deer thing and the other mindmugger charged through it and died, why did that not cause him to lose the ability to do illusion magic? Does his magic give him a pass when he is being possessed/mind controlled and is not consciously using his magic to harm or kill, or is there a different explanation?

Maybe the magic considered the mugger a different entity, which is weird considering it's usually so pedantic.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

That was why I was confused, since Audrey slingshotting herself to kill the plausibly deniable witch with a sword apparently counted.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Regalingualius posted:

Was any of that stuff about Luna’s sister not being completely evil ever alluded to in the strips that got skipped over, or is this the first time we the audience found out about her work on behalf of the city’s prostitutes? If it’s the latter, then that’s yet another bit of wasted potential for nuance by explaining her motivations for everything that she was behind in this arc. Even if the end result’s the same, you could maybe throw in something like “all of Szark’s rich opponents were also known to be awful to the brothels” to give her something beyond wanting their money.

Mookie watched Princess Mononoke.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

Mookie watched Princess Mononoke.

I am so angry that this is probably the explanation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

super sweet best pal posted:

Maybe the magic considered the mugger a different entity, which is weird considering it's usually so pedantic.

Well, IIRC, the mugger lost the spell, and Lyndon got it "back" when he was freed from the mugger, so the magic being extremely pedantic is why it worked.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Finished Trixie. Holy loving poo poo, what a comic.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

While we're plugging things that are like Dominic Deegan, but better, let me plug the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka. It's a set of urban fantasy novels about Alex Verus, a wizard with the power to divine the future, but unlike Mookie, Jacka actually takes the time and forethought to explore how someone with limited prescience would actually function. Surrounded by a society of other wizards who can do things like throw fireballs, teleport, or kill with a touch, Verus, armed only with the power to know might happen next, has to constantly think his way out of dangerous situations.

The books aren't high literature, but they are nice little puzzle-box thrillers.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Finished Trixie. Holy loving poo poo, what a comic.

the reveal of the stars was like "god DAAAAMNNNNN"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I actually know Benedict Jacka from the giant in the playground forums (which incidentally also had a deegan thread that turned quickly to mockery) Really nice guy. I've got some of his stuff in my to-read pile and have heard good things. My dad loves them.

Miss posted:

the reveal of the stars was like "god DAAAAMNNNNN"

That loving poo poo with the stars.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 17, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

You guys are in for narrative whiplash when the next DD arc is about those filthy chads beating up on ladies.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I figured no one would mind if I posted about a good comic really late at night while there was no Deegan classic or Legacy to talk about. I can't wait to see Mookie deliver his treatise on Chads, Stacys, sportsball, and filthy sex-havers all over again.

Stupid gif didn't attach in the other post:

Me when that poo poo with the loving stars:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The best part about the stars is after you realize what it means and you go back and look through old strips and start freaking the gently caress out at the implications.

That poor loving baboon.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Invisible Clergy posted:

I actually know Benedict Jacka from the giant in the playground forums (which incidentally also had a deegan thread that turned quickly to mockery)

Yes, he posted in that thread.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I like the jousters. Does he sell plush novelties on a cafepress or something somewhere? I want to put coins into the slot on Thorsby's back to encourage him to produce more art. Like you said, somewhere around the Hopeless arc, I began to be kind of glad that the art was so crude. I don't think I could've handled looking at the impossible ones if they were drawn in a more realistic style.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

I figured no one would mind if I posted about a good comic really late at night while there was no Deegan classic or Legacy to talk about. I can't wait to see Mookie deliver his treatise on Chads, Stacys, sportsball, and filthy sex-havers all over again.

Stupid gif didn't attach in the other post:

Me when that poo poo with the loving stars:

Yeah, i was reading ahead a little to get ready and I realized Esctasy and Evil, Hello, Nurse, Storm of Souls, all feature characters going off about the filthy degenerate breeders and their awful sex. They don't respect women, but they are also whores.

I'm actually flabberghasted by how early and how vicious this poo poo is. I had totally forgotten what order some of this stuff happened in.

The comic has 45 chapters not counting the legacy and all this awful poo poo came right at the beginning.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

edit:refresh error double post sorry

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 17, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

I emailed Thorsby to say nice things about the comic and ask him this question. He immediately responded and explained the magic counted the mugger as doing it

The Little Death posted:

Yeah, i was reading ahead a little to get ready and I realized Esctasy and Evil, Hello, Nurse, Storm of Souls, all feature characters going off about the filthy degenerate breeders and their awful sex. They don't respect women, but they are also whores.

I'm actually flabberghasted by how early and how vicious this poo poo is. I had totally forgotten what order some of this stuff happened in.

The comic has 45 chapters not counting the legacy and all this awful poo poo came right at the beginning.
Well, Mookie's misogyny is so pervasive, it's really impossible to predict when it will jack-in-the-box up at you in the middle of an otherwise innocuous scene, so forgetting some of that is certainly understandable.

Since there is no foreshadowing to anything and no conflict lasts longer than one strip, nothing can build on anything else. As a result, there isn't a logical flow of events: (Dominic gets the mystic ankh of Anish-Ghumah > with the ankh, he cleanses the land of the blackwater taint > he becomes monarch of the now-purified corn people) it's just a big pile of events that happen and could happen in a random order. If you wrote out on note cards what happened in each major arc of the series--setting aside things like permanent character death--I don't think even someone who's read it could assemble them in the correct chronological order.

A flabberghast sounds like a monster from Trixie Slaughteraxe. It would be an ambulatory, flesh-eating corpse with the ability to bounce and leap great distances and with long, boneless limbs it could squash, stretch, and deform like rubber.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 17, 2020

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I skimmed a bit of Storm of Souls and I think people who think it was like, the last "decent" arc of DD before it gets worse were being pretty generous, or just speaking wholly in relative terms. It tries to up the stakes a lot but can only really do so by doing the "person is chosen by destiny and is given a load of external powerups" thing. Also like with Karnak having a prior relationships with members of the Deegan family, everything's still connected in a way that makes the world feel incredibly small.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I think people just remember it as the only time Dominic faces any real hardship or permanent loss. That makes it stand out and they sort of file away the fact that it was obviously supposed to be the last arc of the comic before mookie just kept it going forever with low stakes bullshit and fantasy metal concerts.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

I skimmed a bit of Storm of Souls and I think people who think it was like, the last "decent" arc of DD before it gets worse were being pretty generous, or just speaking wholly in relative terms. It tries to up the stakes a lot but can only really do so by doing the "person is chosen by destiny and is given a load of external powerups" thing. Also like with Karnak having a prior relationships with members of the Deegan family, everything's still connected in a way that makes the world feel incredibly small.

Storm of Souls as I remember it is really long and pretty boring. Maybe it just has a very small bit less misogynistic bullshit in it than the other arcs and is merely less bad than them. I don't think anyone's saying it's good, just not as bad as the rest. Yeah, classic star wars prequelitis, which is really quite an accomplishment on its own this early in a freestanding original comic.

The Little Death posted:

I think people just remember it as the only time Dominic faces any real hardship or permanent loss. That makes it stand out and they sort of file away the fact that it was obviously supposed to be the last arc of the comic before mookie just kept it going forever with low stakes bullshit and fantasy metal concerts.
Lol permanent loss. Because Dominic is so different after he loses his left shin and two front teeth. Did Mookie say it was supposed to be the last arc? I don't remember that but it certainly sounds plausible.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Guess the flip side of it is that it's the last real arc before battle for barthis which is an arc I barely remember exists usually, and war in hell which has that moment that kind of forever tarnishes what little bit of respect anyone could have for the comic.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

How ridiculous is it I don't know which one you're talking about? There are so many valid choices. I guess I'll have to wait til we get there. unless you're talking about hands.jpg? I thought that was in the facebath arc though

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

How ridiculous is it I don't know which one you're talking about? There are so many valid choices. I guess I'll have to wait til we get there. unless you're talking about hands.jpg? I thought that was in the facebath arc though

NO no, it's wayyyy earlier than Facebath. Facebath is the second metal band. The first one is Oblivion Folder.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Oh, ok. I just remembered it was during the metal concert, but I forgot there's more than one because of course there are more than one.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Maybe it’s just cause I didn’t read a Dominic Deegan arc in full until the post Maltak chapters, but there can’t be a soul out there who remembers arcs like Hello Nurse or even the majority of Ecstasy and Evil.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The arcs have names? The comic has chapters?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Not originally, no. That would imply that Mookie planned ahead more than a day in advance

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I was being sarcastic but lmao of course.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Hostile V posted:

I was being sarcastic but lmao of course.

They vary wildly in size, and there's no way to go directly from one part of the archive to the next, so reading the archive is actually a pretty terrible experience. Also every single chapter/part has an extra page with no strips.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Navigation is a lot worse than it was before the site redesign, where every page was its own page. It's also got rid of the news posts attached to the comics, which occasionally had some nuggets of gold

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's the one I meant. The moment itself might be in Battle for Barthis though, although War In Hell is the arc that really pushes how heroic the rapist is, right down to having a scene where Siggy asks Dominic to give one example of an actual heroic noble orc, with that line being narration over a panel of Stonewater.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Stay away from my husband."

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm honestly kind of surprised DD was ever that popular. Even for early 2000s, this isn't very GOOD. I can vaguely remember a good two-dozen much, much higher quality comics I got bored of reading even back when I was really into webcomics as a thing. How popular WAS DD at the time? I never even knew of it outside of the CAD mock threads jazz hands references, I never had encountered it in the wild other than a vague memory of a comic with a guy that looked like a poorly drawn Dr. Who ripoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised DD was ever that popular. Even for early 2000s, this isn't very GOOD. I can vaguely remember a good two-dozen much, much higher quality comics I got bored of reading even back when I was really into webcomics as a thing. How popular WAS DD at the time? I never even knew of it outside of the CAD mock threads jazz hands references, I never had encountered it in the wild other than a vague memory of a comic with a guy that looked like a poorly drawn Dr. Who ripoff.

It had it's own fansites and dedicated cosplayers at CONs, so not tiny.