Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

Because clearly what this comic needs is a riveting plot about how Snout is unable to borrow books from a public library. Surely there's no one around him who can use their card to borrow the books Snout needs, none at all.
I don't think I've ever been to a library that checked your card at any time other than when you were checking out books. So like, Snout can just go read the book at the library.

EDIT: copy relevant passages on the Fantasy Xerox Machine or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Zereth posted:

I don't think I've ever been to a library that checked your card at any time other than when you were checking out books. So like, Snout can just go read the book at the library.

Can't wait until the multi week arc where the jocks don't let him through the fantasy parking lot

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So Snout's platonic (?) relationship with a necromanic zombie he met less than a week (?) ago reminds Arudak of his dead wife

uh, ok

Why? Is it because she is also dead?

Also who is Snout's actual romantic love interest supposed to be? Ink Witch or Corpsemommy? The comic keeps vacillating between the two. Again, it could be interesting to depict a poly relationship, but Mookie hasn't indicated that's what he's going for. In fact I can't tell at all what he's going for.

Also also, I'm still flabbergasted that Snout has 2 nice new outfits, one of which already has his treasured "HELO I AM BROKEN" patch, and yet he's going back to his lovely, smelly overalls. At least Corposemommy is FINALLY dressed this time.

Also also also, what the gently caress was the point of Snout's "clearing his head" montage? He didn't actually DO any introspection. He just kind of went for a walk and when he came back people were nice to him and had ejected the bad man from the story for being slightly rude to him.

Hilariously the moping in the countryside would have the PERFECT moment to write in his journal

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Baller Ina posted:

Hilariously the moping in the countryside would have the PERFECT moment to write in his journal

But what is there for him to recap?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
hugs

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

amigolupus posted:

You got to love how after having Snout reunite with his mommies, Mookie has Arudak pining over his dead wife to reinforce the heterosexualness of it all. Gotta stamp out any possibility that Arudak might also be interested in Snout or whatever.

At this point I honestly think Snout's got better chemistry with Arudak than the other two main(?) characters(?). The history between him and Snout has been fraught with relatively less creepiness than Snout's had with the others, and as a bonus Arudak's the only one who actually has a name!

But nah I guess we have to go the incredibly un-subtle road of Arudak suddenly pulling an entire framed photo out of nowhere. Like oriongates said, there is no sense of direction or continuity with where everything takes place, and the only way the photo isn't a complete non-sequitur is if at some point off-screen everyone relocated to Arudak's room. Hell, having a second sign in the dining hall that just said "WOMAN IS DEAD AND I AM SAD" would have preserved continuity more than this.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Mookie literally announced this comic as "Hugs for (almost) everyone"

I'm starting to think we are really going insane by expecting continuity or human emotions.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

oriongates posted:

As much as the landscape shots are incredible time-wasters, there's at least the intent to create a sense of mood and to show off artistry. It's a comically bad attempt and mookie needs to stop. But this isn't even that. It's like a yawning void under a shell of content. These three pages have taught us nothing, and we are all worse for having seen them.

I feel like Mookie is getting "inspired" by slice of life anime since those got pretty popular the last couple of years. Him trying to copy things like a person having a regular morning and failing miserably seems pretty on point for him. But yeah, the reason it works (for people who like it anyway) in slice of life anime is that you're more interested in the character relationships than an overarching plot. A simple conversation at breakfast can change or reinforce how two characters feel about each other and make it meaningful, even if it's just "These two people are arguing/apologizing while having breakfast."

But NO DIALOG, so we just have Snout in the white void while characters he has met file in one at a time to give him affection for being the World's Most Special Boy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zereth posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant in my rambling about Snout doing some research while he was clearing his head lol He could've just spent it in the public library looking poo poo up or just read some novels to relax.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

amigolupus posted:

Snout didn't give his library card. Thelonius snatched it from Snout and did a magic trick to switch it to his calling card, which was his only contribution during that entire sequence. Mookie never puts any thought into what he writes so I doubt he knows how racist it was to create a second POC character and have the only notable thing they did was steal from Snout.

Something that was only possible because Snout introduced himself via his library card, something he has never done before or since. The only reason it had any relevance is because it has Snout's medical conditions listed on it (like all library cards do) and Snout had, for some reason, changed into a different outfit (not the new one he got the day before, or the old one he apparently still had) which didn't have his patch, making this the only time that Snout was walking around without a convenient label.

Also, it occurs to me that during the entirety of the "Language Barrier" arc, we do not see Snout actually directly 'speaking' to anyone. He only communicates in three ways:

*He throws a book.
*He shows someone his library card.
*He hands ink witch a note someone else wrote.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah, but he couldn't read a sign once and made a faux pas!

A sign that he didn't even look at anyway so it wouldn't have mattered.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
"What? No, she's not dead. She works at the library. I'm sad because I only got second place in the photo contest. I really wanted that Olive Garden gift certificate."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

He hasn't been to the Olive Garden in like FOREVER!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Nighthand posted:

The library brochure clearly says all union library cards are accepted. Obviously, this means that it's a highly exclusive library that you can only access if you have a library card, and that the library will not issue new cards. This becomes a problem when we discover that Bad Orc Man stole Snout's library card to gain access to this coveted and exclusive... library.
Mookie's going to be "clever," and have Snout go to the library and produce his library card from his oshkosh b'gosh, forgetting entirely that Thelonious still has it. Then the librarian will say the mild edge is not in the union and he has to get a library card from here.

He will then immediately just fill out the form and get a union library card with no difficulty, making the whole exercise pointless.

Zereth posted:

"Hey there Snout. Snout and about. In and Snout. Snouterator. Makin' copies. My main mongrelman."

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Nighthand posted:

The library brochure clearly says all union library cards are accepted. Obviously, this means that it's a highly exclusive library that you can only access if you have a library card, and that the library will not issue new cards. This becomes a problem when we discover that Bad Orc Man stole Snout's library card to gain access to this coveted and exclusive... library.

I've been holding off on a prediction that it'll be a direct repeat of Mongreltown, because I can't quite bring myself to think that he's that absurd.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Remember the sexual assaulting book store owner?

That is definitely coming back because that is lgbtqia representation according to Mookie

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Twelve by Pies posted:

He hasn't been to the Olive Garden in like FOREVER!

Truly, it’s been a rough year for all of us.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

TheHan posted:

But what is there for him to recap?

Oh nothing of course, I'm just saying being alone in nature is a lot more appropriate a time than that moment with the dinner where he wrote in it both immediately before and after the meal.

A mopey paragraph followed by Snout looking up at the stars would have at least made sense!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Truly, it’s been a rough year for all of us.

It wasn't all bad, there was no prom season so he didn't get the yearly call from John Stamos.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

checking the old threads and finding some laughs on mookie's newgrounds

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

Mookie's going to be "clever," and have Snout go to the library and produce his library card from his oshkosh b'gosh, forgetting entirely that Thelonious still has it. Then the librarian will say the mild edge is not in the union and he has to get a library card from here.

He will then immediately just fill out the form and get a union library card with no difficulty, making the whole exercise pointless.

Snout will arrive at the library, realize that Thelonious still has his card and look sad. Then Thelonius will appear and hand him his library card, along with all the necessary forms for the orc library filled out and a letter of apology for Jerkface Orc's behavior. He will also give Snout a dreamy smile. There will be hugs.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Cloacamazing! posted:

Snout will arrive at the library, realize that Thelonious still has his card and look sad. Then Thelonius will appear and hand him his library card, along with all the necessary forms for the orc library filled out and a letter of apology for Jerkface Orc's behavior. He will also give Snout a dreamy smile. There will be hugs.

Get this depressingly plausible spec out of this thread he reads goonsir (or goonmadam, whichever you prefer)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thankee!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Mookie on twitter posted:

I was reading a review of a metal album I really love. The lovely reviewer wrote something like “even longtime fans of this band will find their sound kinda samey by now” and I wanted to scream,

YEAH THE AVERAGE METALHEAD SURE IS KNOWN FOR WANTING VARIETY YOU MORON

This explains so much about this comic never changing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

METAL FANS LIKE THEIR MUSIC STALE AND REPETITIVE. HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THIS. YOU CRETIN. YOU ABSOLUTE IMBECILE.

Also who the gently caress reads music reviews anymore, lol. It's got to be just people looking for things to get mad at.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Every metal band only writes one song because metal fans just listen to it over and over again, never wanting anything new.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Billy Gnosis posted:

This is pure Mookie.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

METAL FANS LIKE THEIR MUSIC STALE AND REPETITIVE. HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THIS. YOU CRETIN. YOU ABSOLUTE IMBECILE.

Also who the gently caress reads music reviews anymore, lol. It's got to be just people looking for things to get mad at.

Lol, where did he even find a music review, much less a review of a whole album? Even if you're a 40+ year old man like Mookie who pays for music, who buys whole albums? Do they even make whole albums anymore? I thought musicians just released singles every so often because that's how people have been buying stuff for the last 20 years.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

I thought musicians just released singles every so often because that's how people have been buying stuff for the last 20 years.

:catstare:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Shocked, shocked that such a take could come from the man who brought us "Why do people cheer for the bad guys? They're BAD!"

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Invisible Clergy posted:

This is pure Mookie.

Lol, where did he even find a music review, much less a review of a whole album? Even if you're a 40+ year old man like Mookie who pays for music, who buys whole albums? Do they even make whole albums anymore? I thought musicians just released singles every so often because that's how people have been buying stuff for the last 20 years.

your post does not suggest someone with an understanding of the past 20 years of music

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Also the guy who thinks the doom guy in the reboot. Is a paladin because he kills demons and... well he kills demons.

Forget about subtext, Mookie isn't smart enough to pick up on text. Super text or bust

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Billy Gnosis posted:

I... I.. wh, wha

What the flying gently caress? As someone who has a cringe history of love for metal this is the thing from Mookie that has broken my brain. Metal? Static?

Okay I had to fix my brain a little bit:

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1403560711205314562

he's still wrong, but I saved myself from brain collapse

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah I don't think he understands exactly how much the better metal bands experiment and try new poo poo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't think he understands

mookie.txt

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I hate this so much.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

City with no surrounding structures or farmland outside the walls.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

oriongates posted:

I love this so much.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mookie: "I'm working on drawing landscapes!"

Also Mookie: Draws a city in an empty flat land with an obvious copy-pasted photos of hills in the foreground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Its fascinating to see how much his art has declined. Dominic deegan looked like trash but it was consistent trash.