Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Maltak plant creatures were introduced in the first place because Mookie went with orcs being a bunch of stock hunter culture stereotypes without realising how that doesn't mesh with being herbivorous. So the reason they have spears and archers is because they hunt plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I like that the ship thats making GBS threads them out even has a buttcrack

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
When I was younger I was raised to believe pescetarianism was a subset of vegetarianism, and from what I can tell this has roots mostly in historical and religious definitions of what is/isn't meat or what kinds of meat are acceptable. If that's the main influence here I can understand how Mookie might have come to not notice the questions a vegetarian society having a fishing industry might raise.
(edit: The other option is, of course, that he wanted to include a cool image of fishers without thinking through that it implies they have a fishing industry, and all that implies)

I can't remember if he ever explicitly said if orcs did have a reason for being vegetarian. (Something about their tusks being good for roots?) This might be one of the cases where it's better if he didn't overexplain it and just left it as "this is how orc culture has been for many many centuries and they've had no reason to change their diets". At least that would be easier to swallow than "they never ever want to harm animals" because that raises questions about why fish or sentient plants apparently don't count. Unless the whole point is that their definitions are arbitrary and hypocritical, and I doubt that was the intended message.

edit 2: Okay yeah then I have no idea why fish don't count in this instance. Maybe it's special Maltak soil in the rivers, idfk

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 18, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Any food that isnt the sentient plants makes them sick. So, no

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
They aren't vegetarians, they are herbivores.

It's not an ethical question or a choice or a cultural issue, it's just their biology.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not an ethical question or a choice or a cultural issue, it's just their biology.

Yeah, one of the comics that got posted a page or so ago spells it out. They cannot, biologically, process meat.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Are there any vegetarians in the comic? Does mookie even know "ethical frameworks around food consumption" are things that exist?

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Ah, okay, I missed that and conflated the two, that's entirely my bad.

Yeah then I've got nothing that could explain it. Half-expecting a hasty explanation that the fish are just decorations somewhere

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Turbo-herbivores, even. Real-life herbivores will frequently eat meat if they just like find some, they just won't hunt things.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Even a ton of actual herbivores in the real world will supplement their diet with meat--deer or cows just beebopping around eating baby birds and whatever. Orcs being herbivores seems like a real hard attempt at doing "no, see, they're a generic fantasy race... but I made them DIFFERENT from usual, so it's okay!"

except no haha they just fight and kill and eat a plant boar instead of a meat boar

it ranks around the level of "what if the elves... loved eating FLESH?" that everyone thought was really original a long time ago

The Dominic Deegan original comic strip is honestly also just so bad I have not been able to keep up on the recap of it anymore. It isn't even... amusingly bad, to me? It's just boring. This is 16 year old copying popular anime they saw but it's their own OCs instead boring. Mookie why are you so BORING.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

FlocksOfMice posted:

it ranks around the level of "what if the elves... loved eating FLESH?" that everyone thought was really original a long time ago

Yeah but that was great and memorable and had lots of fun consequences when it happened in Dwarf Fortress. It mattered in some fun ways.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FlocksOfMice posted:

Elder Scrolls did that the best.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Elder Scrolls did that the best.

Elder Scrolls, Dwarf Fortress, Divinity, and lots of others but yeah Bosmer were kind of great and honestly the memory eating in Divinity was neat? Mookie has orcs that eat plants and that's it?? There's this lingering pressure when you do fantasy to use the DnD fantasy races as if they're... not the DnD fantasy races but just parts of the genre like spaceships existing? And everyone wants to do them UNIQUE and WEIRD... by changing one small thing.

In these our modern times, Mookie has turned HIS orcs into... I dunno I guess they're vegetarians and otherwise are just humans basically. neat. thank you mookie, very exciting,

they have ink witches and also their ink witches have maids who are also ink witches and they have weird dining etiquette i guess

the worst is ink witchery could be something really neat but so far all she uses these neat, relatively original powers for is... her dress can disappear and show her boobs I guess

and a spaceship? made of ink? that you steer by... drawing the scenery constantly? which is almost neat?? but he makes it stilted and boring??

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

FlocksOfMice posted:

Even a ton of actual herbivores in the real world will supplement their diet with meat--deer or cows just beebopping around eating baby birds and whatever. Orcs being herbivores seems like a real hard attempt at doing "no, see, they're a generic fantasy race... but I made them DIFFERENT from usual, so it's okay!"

except no haha they just fight and kill and eat a plant boar instead of a meat boar

The Dominic Deegan original comic strip is honestly also just so bad I have not been able to keep up on the recap of it anymore. It isn't even... amusingly bad, to me? It's just boring. This is 16 year old copying popular anime they saw but it's their own OCs instead boring. Mookie why are you so BORING.

Hold on for the next arc.

The next arc is Snowsong. This arc is stupid relationship drama, but the next arc is still probably the dumbest narrative ever put to paper.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Beelzebufo posted:

The next arc is Snowsong. This arc is stupid relationship drama, but the next arc is still probably the dumbest narrative ever put to paper.

:yeshaha:

Anyone who hasn't seen this has yet to understand Deegan.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm just confused about the one guy who says that orcs probably do actually eat meat because they have "fangs." They're clearly tusks and the first animals I think of when I think "tusks" are warthogs and elephants, both of which are herbivores. There's also walruses I guess, but they mostly eat clams and other shelled creatures.

Anyway the point is I don't understand the need for "sentient vegetables creatures" because having tusks doesn't imply meat eating. If it were any other comic I'd assume we're supposed to view that guy as an idiot for thinking big tusks are the same as fangs and that they're used to hunt prey, but this is Mookie and I genuinely can't think of any other reason why he'd have sentient vegetable creatures except if he genuinely thinks that tusks are meant for eating meat.

I know orcs are meant to be Native American stereotypes but even those stereotypes had stuff like "The Native Americans find nature sacred and so use every part of the buffalo to ensure nothing is wasted," like they aren't stereotyped as vegetarians" so I can't figure out why he'd be opposed to orcs hunting meat. Unless it's some sort of "But these orcs are so gentle and kind that they can't even hunt animals because they're so bleeding heart" but then having them hunt sentient plant creatures completely destroys that so that can't be it either!

FlocksOfMice posted:

In these our modern times, Mookie has turned HIS orcs into... I dunno I guess they're vegetarians and otherwise are just humans basically. neat. thank you mookie, very exciting,

Dominic Deegan takes place in Generic D&D Land (yeah I know there's stuff like electric guitars and superhero comic books but other than that) and when Mookie was writing this orc stuff and the stuff before, D&D was still in third edition and still had orcs as "generally chaotic evil" with barbarian as their favored class and orc clerics only getting access to Chaos and Evil spell lists and such. So in the context of the time, orcs being "noble savages" who are in tune with nature and generally chill would have been somewhat different from how orcs were portrayed at the time.

I know that Warcraft orcs were a peaceful shamanistic society before they got corrupted by chaos magic or whatever so it isn't a unique idea or anything, but I don't know how much Warcraft influenced Mookie, but D&D definitely heavily influenced him.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway the point is I don't understand the need for "sentient vegetables creatures" because having tusks doesn't imply meat eating. If it were any other comic I'd assume we're supposed to view that guy as an idiot for thinking big tusks are the same as fangs and that they're used to hunt prey, but this is Mookie and I genuinely can't think of any other reason why he'd have sentient vegetable creatures except if he genuinely thinks that tusks are meant for eating meat.
The problem becomes more obvious during the slog through Maltak where Mookie introduces a whole bunch of single-trait orc tribes, such as the one that are the best archers in the world, where it doesn't make any sense if they don't use that skill to get food.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know that Warcraft orcs were a peaceful shamanistic society before they got corrupted by chaos magic or whatever so it isn't a unique idea or anything, but I don't know how much Warcraft influenced Mookie, but D&D definitely heavily influenced him.
By this time Mookie is getting into MMORPGs (Snowsong, natch) and there are a bunch of characters which strongly feel like they are based on his avatars. I don't know this for certain but it seemed very suspicious that all the regular orcs have names like Amtrak or Moldak and then there's the really special ice magic wielding one named Stonewater.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 18, 2021

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Trapezium Dave posted:

By this time Mookie is getting into MMORPGs (Snowsong, natch) and there are a bunch of characters which strongly feel like they are based on his avatars. I don't know this for certain but it seemed very suspicious that all the regular orcs have names like Amtrak or Moldak and then there's the really special ice magic wielding one named Stonewater.

I think Nimmel was a character he made in City of Heroes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Again, it's almost impossible to believe he didn't trace this. Maybe it's a composite of several images, but there has to be some image that lines up pretty closely with the foreground.

I hate how they become generic office block buldings in the distance.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

It's literally every ice wizard. They're all Mookie.

edit: I see he hasn't forgotten the fisher orcs, we're going to get an explanation of how it's totally vegan soon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Heliotrope posted:

That was Snowsong. Snowsong was his CoH character.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
If the plant creatures are sentient that how is that functionally different from eating animals?

Beelzebufo posted:

Again, it's almost impossible to believe he didn't trace this. Maybe it's a composite of several images, but there has to be some image that lines up pretty closely with the foreground.

Also how the hell does match any of the exterior shots of this city so far? The long shot seemed to show a ton of tightly packed rounded buildings but this is enormously spaced out buildings with combovers

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Bismuth posted:

If the plant creatures are sentient that how is that functionally different from eating animals?

Also how the hell does match any of the exterior shots of this city so far? The long shot seemed to show a ton of tightly packed rounded buildings but this is enormously spaced out buildings with combovers

It's such a mature and adult comic even these buildings (have) bangs

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Beelzebufo posted:

Yeah, that’s definitely an exterior and an interior shot of the same place, sure, Mookie

Also: sidewalks with streets, but all traffic is foot traffic, so I guess the streets are for the... slightly faster foot traffic of people who know where they’re going? Even though there’s absolutely no signage anywhere?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

The problem becomes more obvious during the slog through Maltak where Mookie introduces a whole bunch of single-trait orc tribes, such as the one that are the best archers in the world, where it doesn't make any sense if they don't use that skill to get food.

Eh, archery is great for warfare, and from what I understand the Mongols were the best at mounted archery in history which is a big reason why they were so dominant in battles they fought, and you wouldn't hunt from horseback with a bow.

Though that depends on Mookie establishing that the orcs frequently war with other tribes or other nations, which I'm going to guess he says they don't.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I like the tiny hungover orc in the bottom right.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And if everything's so spread out with large patches of green why do you need strict walls? Clearly the orcs have the "build in harmony with nature" trait usually given to elves and the like in fantasy worlds, they're performing responsible stewardship of the land.

Granted we're mostly focusing on this because this is literally all that happened this week. Three pages of establishing shot.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Maxwell Lord posted:

And if everything's so spread out with large patches of green why do you need strict walls? Clearly the orcs have the "build in harmony with nature" trait usually given to elves and the like in fantasy worlds, they're performing responsible stewardship of the land.

Granted we're mostly focusing on this because this is literally all that happened this week. Three pages of establishing shot.

This one page could have literally been used to some up the last 3-4 pages and nothing would be lost.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

GlyphGryph posted:

Are there any vegetarians in the comic? Does mookie even know "ethical frameworks around food consumption" are things that exist?
When Mookie himself becomes vegetarian (later vegan) Dominic eventually follows suit and talks about it occasionally.

Beelzebufo posted:

I cannot wait. This is the arc that turned the last of his fans from the original deegan forum against him with its abject terrible quality.

Twelve by Pies posted:

We are meant to think that guy's an idiot. He's one of the random straw racists Mookie is so fond of. As for the vegetabeasts:

1 Mookie wants to show his stock noble savage orcs as tough, ferocious warriors.
2 Mookie also wants them to never be portrayed as the aggressors in a conflict; just the victims of hate crimes from the racist humans
3 Mookie also does not want to show them feuding amongst themselves for status
4 Mookie has arbitrarily decided they are obligate herbivores though he calls them "vegetarians" half the time because he's too stupid to know what words mean

How can he square this circle?

Simply have the orcs hunt and kill animals that are made of plant matter. Done.

quote:

I know orcs are meant to be Native American stereotypes but even those stereotypes had stuff like "The Native Americans find nature sacred and so use every part of the buffalo to ensure nothing is wasted," like they aren't stereotyped as vegetarians" so I can't figure out why he'd be opposed to orcs hunting meat. Unless it's some sort of "But these orcs are so gentle and kind that they can't even hunt animals because they're so bleeding heart" but then having them hunt sentient plant creatures completely destroys that so that can't be it either!
No, that's what it is. Mookie is just not smart enough to understand that he's contradicting himself.

Beelzebufo posted:

He 100% traced this, but like with the others, I personally don't feel like it's worth the effort of tracking down the source. I like how the second they cross the second block they go from being vaguely defined to being the symbols on a walk/don't walk sign and then just balls (which may or may not roll together at the end of the yellow brick road to make up a larger ball)

Bismuth posted:

It's not.

They don't. What's up with those giant lovely looking roofs the buildings in the foreground all have which predictably disappear halfway up the image? In a normal comic, I'd assume they signified something but I'm not holding my breath here.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I love snow song. I love that mookie envisioned that idea for a story arc for his fantasy comic and just went ahead and made it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Eh I don't think he traced this one. If he had he might not have hosed up the perspective on the road and buildings.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm "excited" to see Snowsong because I've never seen it, only heard about it, as well as March Across Maltak which Beelzebufo says is unbelievably terrible as well.

I've said I came in to the mock threads at Desert of Eldariat to Die but that can't be right because when I was checking something earlier I realized I remember reading the DOWN TOWN EROSSUS strips as well as the stupid art gallery/cattlebasters poo poo, so that must be where I came in (since I don't remember the stuff before the art gallery at all). I also forgot the "Cao's Cows" thing which, I'll give Mookie credit for, is a little bit funny for us long time Dynasty Warriors fans.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm "excited" to see Snowsong because I've never seen it, only heard about it, as well as March Across Maltak which Beelzebufo says is unbelievably terrible as well.

I've said I came in to the mock threads at Desert of Eldariat to Die but that can't be right because when I was checking something earlier I realized I remember reading the DOWN TOWN EROSSUS strips as well as the stupid art gallery/cattlebasters poo poo, so that must be where I came in (since I don't remember the stuff before the art gallery at all). I also forgot the "Cao's Cows" thing which, I'll give Mookie credit for, is a little bit funny for us long time Dynasty Warriors fans.

were you around for "clothes-minded"?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i don't remember most of dominic deegan despite reading it multiple times

it makes every read through magical

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mach Against Maltak might not be the worst arc but it is the worst reading experience. Thinking about it makes my brain groan.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ok I thought about it for five minutes and I think I came up with an improvement on the herbivore orcs thing. Have them eat meat, and even prefer it, but the animals of Maltak are the only ones they can digest. Orcs everywhere else are vegetarian by necessity, but it's a big reduction in their quality of life. Say it's an enzyme in Maltak plants which has to build up in animals, maybe it results in some minor external changes to them too. Orcs are not just spiritually but practically tied to their land, they can expand but they have to spend time cultivating their new home. There, it's not great but it's better than Mookie's giant shaky tower of excuses.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Once you get back to where the pedestrians are dots, that road is crazy enormous. Like ridiculous huge.

Speaking of pedestrians, none of these people appear to actually be going anywhere, they're clearly just set dressing, like the random people you see in architecture design mock-ups.

Plus, as someone already pointed out, why the hell are there sidewalks if there are no beasts of burden or wagons in the streets? (It's because modern cities have sidewalks of course.)

Actually, it just occurred to me that, despite being a D&D pastiche fantasy world, I don't think we've ever seen a horse. The answer is obviously that drawing horses is hard and Mookie can't do it, but it's a really glaring omission now I think of it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I had similar thoughts about Dark Souls a few years ago. As much as I hate DS2, there's quite a few really normal things that it has that the others never bother with, like horses (two-headed skeleton murder horses, but still), and boats. DS1 and 3 have plenty of carts around, but only DS2 has something to pull them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Beelzebufo posted:

Again, it's almost impossible to believe he didn't trace this.
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm pretty sure his brush technique makes it impossible for him to trace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mx. posted:

i don't remember most of dominic deegan despite reading it multiple times

it makes every read through magical

Your brain is trying desperately to protect you from the psychic damage of reading it. Why do you hate your brain so much?