Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mordja posted:

They can be vegetarian all they want, but something about an Orc holding a thing of baguettes is just inherently stupid to me.

Eh a baguette sticking out of a grocery bag has been a visual signal for "bag of groceries" forever. Though, at a second glance, she seems to be carrying an entire bag of baguettes, which is loving weird. Now it's bothering me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Oh no there is an Orc Olive Garden

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

No, Mookie specifically let us know that everything is hunkydory with Callan, since they have a research base that the supremacist, plant-people eating orcs attacked.

But yes, for Mookie, civilization is a linear path.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Christ, even a relatively competent, milquetoast page like this one has things that annoy me. In particular, I hate the vacant friendly expression everyone has, it feels so artificial.

Also back to the white void we go!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mx. posted:

get ready for some torsos

Are the orc ladies in the first panel in danger?

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Iacen posted:

Are the orc ladies in the first panel in danger?

They're in a mookie comic, of course they are!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I hate Snout's one warty shoulder so much.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

tiny orc is loving hilarious

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
That's supposed to be a kid I assumed.

Or has his been playing too much re village with how the woman is drawn

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Billy Gnosis posted:

That's supposed to be a kid I assumed.

Or has his been playing too much re village with how the woman is drawn

It's an Orc-ling. I, too, assumed he was a child until the mention upthread allowed me to notice the hairy bare feet and the single tusk.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

So...orclings are apparently common enough that we've run into two so far and the Snout's book of "orcish racial slurs" mentioned them (mentioned them in English, rather than orcish, because it's the only language where the pun on their name works), so presumably this is a pretty common crossbreed.

Except...where are the halflings? You'd pretty obviously need an even larger population of halflings living in Maltek for the 'orcling' group to become a significant group (even if two orcling parents produce an orcling child, that doesn't really bypass the need for a significant population of both parent types to start things out). I never got far enough in old school deegan, were halflings presented as living in or near Maltek? What're the odds that mookie will even remember to include even one halfling?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

oriongates posted:

Except...where are the halflings? You'd pretty obviously need an even larger population of halflings living in Maltek for the 'orcling' group to become a significant group (even if two orcling parents produce an orcling child, that doesn't really bypass the need for a significant population of both parent types to start things out). I never got far enough in old school deegan, were halflings presented as living in or near Maltek? What're the odds that mookie will even remember to include even one halfling?
Halflings in original Deegan live in the tourist trap of Olde Tucklebrook Island. As for the answer to "is location X anywhere near location Y", best of luck figuring that out. I don't think there ever was a map of the Deeganverse.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's amazing how every time without fail Mookie's idea of a civilized society is just a stupid looking version of modern America. They even managed to developed a hoity-toity upper crust and race based servant class. Looking forward to hearing how Arudak having a half-orc servant isn't at all like the other half-orc servants because he's a nice master.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Trapezium Dave posted:

Halflings in original Deegan live in the tourist trap of Olde Tucklebrook Island. As for the answer to "is location X anywhere near location Y", best of luck figuring that out. I don't think there ever was a map of the Deeganverse.

Yeah they just appear once in 5-10 strips during the year-long honeymoon arc. Their racial traits are "don't call me short," being craft beer snobs and having huge tits. There is no map of Deeganland.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Their racial traits are "don't call me short," being craft beer snobs and having huge tits.

TIL that I'm a character in Dominic Deegan Oracle for Hire.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

GreenMetalSun posted:

My condolences.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

Oh no you're in danger :ohdear:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Uninspired as magic library designs go.

Yet more book fetishism on Mookie's part too.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Might want to :nws: that giant mantrain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mookie just found out what vanishing points are.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Beelzebufo posted:

I legitimately did not imagine the giant imposing central building would be the library. Why wouldn't it be some kind of government building, or some sort of fortress up in that defensible position? Why a library? gently caress you mookie.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

It looks like a warehouse on the inside wtf

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

What is the splotchy things? Energy? Flowers? Ink? Is this building powering ink magic somehow?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Beelzebufo posted:

Snout's tail standing fully erect in the second panel is not goddamn subtle in the least.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

it woulda taken a reeeeeally long time to draw all them books
i think a better effect would have been achieved if he'd spent more of that time coming up with a more interesting layout for that cell

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

These seem like very low ceilings. Five shelves? The bookshelf in my room has six.

Fister Roboto posted:

Mookie just found out what vanishing points are.

First time this comic has had a point. So when does it vanish?

Dabir fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 23, 2021

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The laziness of the art makes this so offputting and weird.

A gigantic fortress building! With no mortar or bricks or loving windows, just blank plate as far as the eye can see

A wonderful library! With no other people in it despite the size of the city, and with fifteen-foot-side hallways with no furniture or decorations or anything to break up the space

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm having trouble even understanding the internal dimensions of this library. What the gently caress is the roof?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Dabir posted:

These seem like very low ceilings. Five shelves? The bookshelf in my room has six.

Judging by relative size, each of those books is a massive tome as tall as snout's leg.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dabir posted:

Badly laid out, too. Why does your giant library not have signs on the shelves, why do the shelves wrap around rather than using the edges for signage. We organize libraries and have signs so people can find things! Where is your information desk?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Beelzebufo posted:

Uninspired as magic library designs go.

Those don't look like the same building. Therefore I must conclude that Snout and Ink Witch looked at a moderately tall building, then went elsewhere and entered the library.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Public libraries in the deeganverse aren't allowed to have roofs, obviously.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
This page is as inoffensive as it is boring (very), but when it comes to my personal taste I would’ve expected Snout to be more wowed by a small, intimate library whose weathered charm implies it’s home to obscure and fascinating books. If Snout were a researcher I can see him getting off to a massive, intimidating building with towering bookcases, but as we’ve seen he has no interest in studying the dream realm or magic theory, he just wants to know. And he burns out when presented with even the tiniest bit of information so I don’t see how this doesn’t just lead into another week of magibabble spreads followed by a week of Snout feeling overwhelmed and going to clear his head.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Weird how the library (and the street outside it) are completely empty even though we saw the city streets were bustling with activity just a moment ago.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hope nobody walks out the giant opening on the third floor

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Hope nobody walks out the giant opening on the third floor

It's got to be a trace where in the original building it isn't just a suicide hole right? (or is it ruins he traced?)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dabir posted:

Uhh... Now that I look again, one half of the room has like a second story going up to the roof, while the other half doesn't.

Help, I'm suffering from vertigo.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Looking at it closely I think the ceiling is traced from something, just can’t figure out what.

And the gradual phasing out of corpsewife continues

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Are those more plants on the ceiling?

How is mookie so loving terrible at drawing plants, seriously even the ones outside the other day, the trees, make me want to gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

GlyphGryph posted:

Are those more plants on the ceiling?

How is mookie so loving terrible at drawing plants, seriously even the ones outside the other day, the trees, make me want to gag.

Ive noticed this too, the use of some gross scrubby brush to draw absolutely every plant in the laziest way makes them look so...grimy? They just look dirty, and too dark to be plants, but he draws every plant like that