Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Roman Reigns posted:

And the gradual phasing out of corpsewife continues

Like, it's weird that we don't know her name while characters like Thelonius (who contributed nothing) and Sunflower who were in the comic for far fewer pages all got names almost immediately.

Snout's so concerned about her but never bothered to ask her name? Or give her a nickname?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Are those more plants on the ceiling?

How is mookie so loving terrible at drawing plants, seriously even the ones outside the other day, the trees, make me want to gag.

Man Mookie is so giddy that he discovered the spray tool. No one tell him it's not still 1998 and the world has moved on from MSPaint's bag of tricks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Samovar posted:

Uhh... Now that I look again, one half of the room has like a second story going up to the roof, while the other half doesn't.

Help, I'm suffering from vertigo.

the middle of the right hand side is borderline non euclidean

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Speaking of corpsemum, lol, just loving lol at her head in the second panel.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Happy Landfill posted:

Like, it's weird that we don't know her name while characters like Thelonius (who contributed nothing) and Sunflower who were in the comic for far fewer pages all got names almost immediately.

Snout's so concerned about her but never bothered to ask her name? Or give her a nickname?

The penultimate strip will finally reveal that he named her “Bride”.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That library looks MISERABLE to navigate. I don't see a single sign, and it's goddamn enormous.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There's fewer books than it looks like because they are all enormous, look nearly torso sized. Also remember that each page might only have a sentence on it at most, so I'm assuming any decent story runs 9 volumes at least, which is a whole shelf row.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 23, 2021

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Roman Reigns posted:

Looking at it closely I think the ceiling is traced from something, just can’t figure out what.

And the gradual phasing out of corpsewife continues

When I first saw it I legit thought that panel showed a giant centipede/lobster kaiju looming over the bookshelves.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
loving poo poo.

The very first google image search result for 'Grand Library.'

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 24, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

PoptartsNinja posted:

loving poo poo.

I am dying

Of course this is what it is

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

holy poo poo

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

It's Strahov monastery for anybody wondering

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus. Grab the first image you find, trace the outlines, drop all of the art and furniture that makes it interesting, only draw half the bookshelves because drawing all the books is hard, art brush some bad vines, and voila, a praise-worthy artist

Edit: elegant latticework as detail? gently caress it, more airbrush

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mx. posted:

It's Strahov monastery for anybody wondering

Which explains why there’s no signs - monastery libraries are a different use case than public ones.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PoptartsNinja posted:

loving poo poo.

That is stunningly gorgeous and makes Mookie trash even more pathetic by comparison goddamn.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy poo poo why would he need to trace for such a simple, geometric drawing. Why. WHY

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PoptartsNinja posted:

loving poo poo.

lmao

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo why would he need to trace for such a simple, geometric drawing. Why. WHY

because he's a fuckin' hack

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He wanted to draw an impressive library and on a technicality he did so even if he left out tracing all the impressive bits.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
On the positive side I'm glad that Mookie being an irredeemable hack led me to discover that quite beautiful library so that's nice.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What gets me is that he traced it and still managed to gently caress it up in like a half dozen ways.

If this is the image he used (and it definitely looks like it) he must have traced it by hand REALLY loving POORLY.

Look at this poo poo:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
How do you gently caress up a vaulted ceiling that badly when you're tracing the drat thing?!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Would that person who was recently advocating for Mookie's talent as an artist like to stand up now, please?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Breetai posted:

Would that person who was recently advocating for Mookie's talent as an artist like to stand up now, please?

I stand by it. You may recall that I was damning him with some faint loving praise. It was just still too loud for some people apparently. In particular, my words regarding his recent work:

quote:

...he's got garbage aesthetic sensibilities. Like...he just does not seem to be able to view his art objectively and seems just blithely unaware of the way he'll just slam two clashing art styles together (see Snout's cartoony form contrasting horrifically with his attempt at a painterly landscape, which already looks terrible in his stark black and white art style). This also leads to his character designs being painfully bland (ink witch, Arudak) or plain unpleasant (snout, any given mongrelfolk), which isn't the same as badly drawn but they can look similar. He's managed to draw SSnout enough to refine his appearance to "largely inoffensive" but he's still stuck with a lot of his bad early decisions that just can't be smoothed off (snout's arm spikes or mid-back tail, for instance). The same goes for his environments, leading to "impressive" landscapes that look like they were slapped together in a few minutes...

...he's been cutting so many corners that this comic is practically a circle. Ever since the mongreltown arc ended he's been using less and less backgrounds, fewer and fewer establishing shots and connective panels. He's been actively putting less effort into the comic, his storyboarding and design have gotten sloppier and he's making no effort to communicate action or scenery to his readers. He's also using more and more filler pages where literally nothing of importance happens. I don't feel comfortable being an armchair psychiatrist, but it's pretty clear that something is destroying his motivation to produce a quality product...

I was never defending the current state of Legacy, ever since leaving Mongreltown we've seen a steady, steady decline in the quality of Mookie's work and this is just one sign of that. I will say that I personally don't give a poo poo about tracing for background and scenery as a general practice, it's just that Mookie tends to do it very poorly.

But none of that actually changes my point. It doesn't matter how poo poo the recent strips are: that just shows that Mookie hasn't been trying (the reasons for which could range from laziness to clinical depression, who knows?). But regardless, he's shown he's a capable, skilled (but not exceptional) artist in the first half of Legacy. The plot, character design and characterization were always a wet, unhealthy fart but the art was legitimately decent. He hasn't unlearned those skills, he's just no longer putting out the effort he did in the earlier comics, which is something I pointed out in the very post I made "defending" him.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i mean, it's still evidence that mookie has gotten lazier as an artist, which is half of what they were saying

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I mean we know Mookie's not tracing with the intent to pass off someone's work as his own, the blog post where he admits to doing it is still in the sidebar next to this page. Beyond there being bookshelves he's not copied over any of the details you'd expect from someone who's tracing (I know he traced the architecture of the ceiling but since he used the same chunky brush for all the linework it's incredibly hard to tell without the source photo handy). He didn't even use the photo to keep the characters to scale with the environment. The only real "cheating" he pulled was not having to think about the 1-point perspective. Really I just think he isn't into this project anymore and is taking any shortcut possible to get a page done as fast as possible.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly who can tell the difference between Mookie half assing because he's not into a project and half assing something he is into because that's all he knows how to do.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This is entirely on his switch to digital last year. That's when this starts. It's because he's discovered overlaying the image as a layer and painting on that directly. I don't think he cares substantially less, he just discovered a new way to be lazy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Beelzebufo posted:

This is entirely on his switch to digital last year. That's when this starts. It's because he's discovered overlaying the image as a layer and painting on that directly. I don't think he cares substantially less, he just discovered a new way to be lazy.

Yeah even the weird flaccid satyr stuff he showed off on twitter/patreon had a lot of clear signs of tracing. He just thinks that's a perfectly fine way for artists to do things.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beelzebufo posted:

Nah there are clearly times in the original Deegan comic he traced. He's been doing it a long time.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 24, 2021

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah there are clearly times in the original Deegan comic he traced. He's been doing it a long time.

Honestly, that's less traced - he's rotated the worm slightly. And like... it's still an obvious copy, some tracing involved, etc. The composition and design are 100% lifted.

But he did actually draw that worm rather than just tracing all the lines. With the recent stuff in Legacy he's clearly tracing directly, not modifying anything to make it work better in context even to the degree he has there.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I don’t think we are at burned out Mookie yet since he still wants to convey these grand scale portrayals even if he is hacking it out with tracings.

If the original comic is any indication, burned out Mookie would be him rushing to the end and crashing and burning the plot and artwork altogether.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

oriongates posted:

He hasn't unlearned those skills, he's just no longer putting out the effort he did in the earlier comics

The building in the first panel is falling over. Snout in the second panel is roughly three feet tall*, with the other two characters appearing even shorter.

That isn't the result of a lack of effort. It's incompetence.

*Edit: actually, calculated pretty accurately using the height of the benches as reference, Snout is a little over four feet tall.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 24, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing he's done with the trace is make the library a lot bigger. The original picture is of a single floor library with an arched ceiling, it's kind of intimate. Still a big and impressive library, especially given the timeframe. (Remember, books were once a luxury item. The keeping and lending of books was once considered a major act of mercy.)

Scaling it up is fine in and of itself, but so much of the detail omitted is actually kind of important? No ladders to reach the high shelves (even more important now that you've made it so big), no reading areas, no art or ornamentation. It looks sterile and dead.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing he's done with the trace is make the library a lot bigger. The original picture is of a single floor library with an arched ceiling, it's kind of intimate. Still a big and impressive library, especially given the timeframe. (Remember, books were once a luxury item. The keeping and lending of books was once considered a major act of mercy.)

Scaling it up is fine in and of itself, but so much of the detail omitted is actually kind of important? No ladders to reach the high shelves (even more important now that you've made it so big), no reading areas, no art or ornamentation. It looks sterile and dead.

My first impression was that it was meant to be another street scene, with poorly-drawn skyscrapers.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Hell, I honestly don't mind an artist taking shortcuts on tedious background things--things like desks in a class room, bookshelves, etc. or reusing simple assets. There's been some talk of this in regards to manga and whether that's considered cheating, but when you consider the grueling work schedules manga artists are on, who cares if all the desks in the classroom are pre-made renders. In all likelihood you're not paying attention to the desks you're paying attention to the characters or what the overall scene is trying to convey. In those cases there's (usually) competent art to distract you from the fact that all the desks look exactly the same. The problem with legacy is that the art is already middling at best so all the re-used assets and traced backgrounds are glaringly obvious. Your eyes can't help but laser focus on the...well, everything.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I can sort of see why someone might enjoy the original Dominic Deegan, even up to its ending, but I just can't imagine anyone sincerely liking Legacy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The more I look at the most recent page I can't help but wonder what the hell the rectangular hole is in the middle of the shelves at the end of the hall.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I assume it’s just a large empty space on that particular shelf.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Happy Landfill posted:

Hell, I honestly don't mind an artist taking shortcuts on tedious background things--things like desks in a class room, bookshelves, etc. or reusing simple assets. There's been some talk of this in regards to manga and whether that's considered cheating, but when you consider the grueling work schedules manga artists are on, who cares if all the desks in the classroom are pre-made renders. In all likelihood you're not paying attention to the desks you're paying attention to the characters or what the overall scene is trying to convey. In those cases there's (usually) competent art to distract you from the fact that all the desks look exactly the same. The problem with legacy is that the art is already middling at best so all the re-used assets and traced backgrounds are glaringly obvious. Your eyes can't help but laser focus on the...well, everything.

The other thing is that if your landscape/background is the focal point for the comic because your characters are reacting to it in stunned awe then maybe you should do it well and even do something original!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
for everyone that keeps saying mookie is a good/decent artist...hes been drawing these comics for twenty years and has barely improved at all. Thats not the mark of someone with genuine skill/talent, hes just barely above "dad who can draw stick figures"

I have to kind of admire his perseverance though, if I dont see improvement in my own art over the course of one year I get depressed, to chug through 20 and keep going is some kind of inner strength