Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Once. He drew a horse once.

And to be fair, he learned his lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

Mookie every one of your protags finds themselves in a situation where they don't know what to do, where to go, they just stare at the world around them lost and afraid because they don't know how to function without someone to tell them what to do.

it's how you do a funny "he's... RIGHT behind me, isn't he?" gag when you only have one character

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So was finding ghosts not part of the soft necromancy training, or what.

Oh I guess it wasn't, he just led her to the tutorial ghosts and then said "that's it, have fun."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

FlocksOfMice posted:

Mookie every one of your protags finds themselves in a situation where they don't know what to do, where to go, they just stare at the world around them lost and afraid because they don't know how to function without someone to tell them what to do.

Mookie this is in everything you do lately.

Mookie, are you okay?

Mookie wants to be one of those "my characters' personalities dictate their decisions, and thus the direction of the story" authors, but he's also D&D-brained and creates protagonists who are level 1 blank slates with no backstory, personality, or motivation because he wants the story he's writing to become their defining adventure.

So you end up with a bunch of characters with no idea where to go and no idea what they're supposed to be doing because Mookie's both a lovely player and a lovely DM.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm glad we interrupted girl dwarf's feminist adventures to instead gawp fruitlessly in a field.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Also why's her dress all bunched up in her crotch? I think every female character's had the same problem at some point.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The individually shink-wrapped genitals thing seems to be something he started doing on his Star Power chapter, so maybe he saw how Garth was drawing her, and his brain just cargo culted that into "this how draw woman good".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ScienceSeagull posted:

Also why's her dress all bunched up in her crotch? I think every female character's had the same problem at some point.
Her cooter's inhaling.

Except I'm not 100% sure the Mookie v is supposed to schematically represent her crotch, because her proportions are really hosed up. Like try to figure out how long her legs are in panel four versus panel five. Now do the same for her left arm. Like she goes from being tall and willowy to being a fuckin' dachshund in the space of a panel. And may or may not be able to scratch her hips without asking a friend.

And I don't even know what the weird boobblob thing that Mookie does when women are standing in profile is supposed to be. Like in panel one what the gently caress even is her upper body topology.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Do you not tuck your shirt in under your tits

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Do you not tuck your shirt in under your tits

Only when the boob sweat is really bad.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
All clothing in the Mookieverse is actually built in many discrete sections, which is why it always looks like a confusing mess of individual parts just kinda slapdashed together

Womens' clothing especially includes a separately sealed section around the breasts, specifically, that can be vaccuum-sealed to create a perfect outline of your breasts even if you're wearing otherwise loose flowing robes. This is important, because everyone should be able to see the exact contour and size of your breasts at all times apparently

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

FlocksOfMice posted:

All clothing in the Mookieverse is actually built in many discrete sections, which is why it always looks like a confusing mess of individual parts just kinda slapdashed together

Womens' clothing especially includes a separately sealed section around the breasts, specifically, that can be vaccuum-sealed to create a perfect outline of your breasts even if you're wearing otherwise loose flowing robes. This is important, because everyone should be able to see the exact contour and size of your breasts at all times apparently

It's a safety device. If people can see when your breasts start to inflate, they can react to the impending danger faster.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Buckle up, we're about to hit the plot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Using a speech bubble to fakeout the identity of the shepard is so drat stupid it's almost genius. Almost. Also insanely contrived that he's got the exact same clothes and staff as whatsherface.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Okay, I actually like premise of this one.

This kind of con artist is already an issue in our world, so in a world where talking to the dead is a real thing they would be even more common.

But I don't like how this is, yet again, taking place in middle of a damned field.

It makes sense that a spirit shepherd would wander about since they need to actively seek out spirits that haven't moved on.
But this dude is a con artist running a grift, he wouldn't be wandering about waiting for people to approach him.

This should take place in a town in front of an audience, he should be performing a theatrical cold reading with maybe an assistant and some cheap special effects.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the redactor mk 2

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pulsarcat posted:

Okay, I actually like premise of this one.

This kind of con artist is already an issue in our world, so in a world where talking to the dead is a real thing they would be even more common.

But I don't like how this is, yet again, taking place in middle of a damned field.

It makes sense that a spirit shepherd would wander about since they need to actively seek out spirits that haven't moved on.
But this dude is a con artist running a grift, he wouldn't be wandering about waiting for people to approach him.

This should take place in a town in front of an audience, he should be performing a theatrical cold reading with maybe an assistant and some cheap special effects.

But then you wouldn't get the incredible twist that he's wearing the exact same clothes as the other person!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Are we sure that's a man? I'm not making a joke; I've never seen Mookie draw a male character like that before. Usually, they don't have prominent eyelashes and he makes sure to emphasize their muscles and/or package so there's no confusion.

but on the other hand, no boobs

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I could tell right away it wasn't Spookie bc she doesn't have a collar. plus the sudden grass

speaking of, I love the sudden transition to horizontal lines

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 29, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That is Eric from the D&D cartoon and you cannot convince me otherwise

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Trapezium Dave posted:

Buckle up, we're about to hit the plot.

Another fuckin' microcape.

Although my nitpick-y complaint about this page is the ?belt? Evil Spirit Shepard isn't wearing in panel two because Mookie didn't think of it until panel five. And the neatly impossible way the rosary on the can opener re-arranges itself between panels three and five.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Panel two is a shot from behind, so that would explain the rosary. Nothing on the magically appearing belt rosary.

rudecyrus posted:

Are we sure that's a man? I'm not making a joke; I've never seen Mookie draw a male character like that before. Usually, they don't have prominent eyelashes and he makes sure to emphasize their muscles and/or package so there's no confusion.

but on the other hand, no boobs

Same way he drew the Assistant orc's and Makena's eyes.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Dad isn't dead, he's just living in the crawlspaces like Bruno Madrigal.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
More importantly, wtf is she doing with her mouth in panel 4? Trying to swallow her upper lip?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Talking like an Anime while still trying to imply her mouth is normal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm struggling to form any opinion of this current storyline that isn't just apathy, so I just wanted to celebrate the first appearance of Leed in the (FANTASTIC) Delicious in Dungeon anime. This thread is where I discovered the manga when someone posted this picture of her, and now it's my favorite manga of all time:

I would die for her

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The fact that this guy is being portrayed as evil kind of highlights that no one in Deegan ever has to work for a living. Dominic was an oracle for... community service reasons, I think? I don't remember why he was doing it at the beginning. Miranda and Luna seem to be professors for love of the craft. Snout only ever needed money for a ticket, not for any living or traveling expenses (the maintenance of the ink ship is never brought up), and he goes around the orc city eating everything he sees. Makena was... on a gap year or some poo poo?

Like, what was Spirit Shepherd Lady supposed to eat? She barely has one skill we know of. Whether this guy is a charlatan or is simply "misusing" his training is almost immaterial.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Asking for money for your trained skill is skeevy and wrong! Good people don't even HAVE trained skills, they're naturally good at things and do them because they enjoy them, and live off their inheritance from their rich Deegan relatives.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A sleazy guy who says he can commune with the dead and rips people off, but it turns out that he actually can do that and he's really good at it, would be a fine story.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Deegan version of Reigen

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Must be nice to be an altruist and never having to worry about your next meal despite doing everything for free.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fister Roboto posted:

A sleazy guy who says he can commune with the dead and rips people off, but it turns out that he actually can do that and he's really good at it, would be a fine story.

Wasn't that the plot of The Frighteners?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Panel two is a shot from behind, so that would explain the rosary.
No, in panel three the rosary is hanging in "front" (on the same side of the staff as the pointy bits of the can opener). In panel five it's hanging in "back" (on the same side as the convex part of the can opener).

In order to make the transition, it would have to have been passed over the head of the staff. Which it is clearly not long enough to do (unless it's elastic or something).

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Caphi posted:

he goes around the orc city eating everything he sees.

I think Mookie actually did try to explain this, which is that orcs (or those specific orcs) didn't use currency or attribute value to things. So anyone could just take or do whatever they wanted and pay them back by doing some light chores.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SubG posted:

No, in panel three the rosary is hanging in "front" (on the same side of the staff as the pointy bits of the can opener). In panel five it's hanging in "back" (on the same side as the convex part of the can opener).

In order to make the transition, it would have to have been passed over the head of the staff. Which it is clearly not long enough to do (unless it's elastic or something).

Oh, I thought you meant the rosary around his neck.

Why does he have three rosaries

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Schubalts posted:

Oh, I thought you meant the rosary around his neck.

Why does he have three rosaries

Super Cavolic.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I assume the rosaries are mala and khakkhara (prayer beads and Buddhist staff with rings) from anime getting squished together so we won't notice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

catlord posted:

Wasn't that the plot of The Frighteners?

Hell yeah that movie was great.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

oh hell yeah I love the frighteners. banned in tasmania for several years. great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

Asking for money for your trained skill is skeevy and wrong! Good people don't even HAVE trained skills, they're naturally good at things and do them because they enjoy them, and live off their inheritance from their rich Deegan relatives.