Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

could the witch really not have the protagonists best interests at heart, despite her putting her boobs on him?

She's Mookie's self-insert for his wife so... Lol nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Im surprised there’s someone out there that considers the Sigfried reveal genius, and not a writer childishly retaliating against their own character.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

could the witch really not have the protagonists best interests at heart, despite her putting her boobs on him?

She is a sympathetic villain in how ineffectual she is as a villain. The only reason she has managed to get this far is her ability to bilk morons for easy divination money and having an even dumber henchman in Snout.

In fact we have been dealing with the villains from the start. Our ork friend is just the latest victim of a conwoman and her mongrelman helper who can't help but expose himself.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Edit: On second thought. I actually don't want to know the answer to that question.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 6, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We're rapidly approaching double bingo.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

We're rapidly approaching double bingo.

Is that what an orc/mongrel/ink witch threeway is called?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Wow the tension diffused at lightspeed. Definitely worth the week of buildup.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a good thing they both have a good reason to care about what Snout wants.

I'm sure we'll learn what that is any day now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Didn't we... Just do this?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Has that ever stopped him?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Yeah it really seems to be a theme with legacy. He’s repeating dialogue, jokes, whole pages of just walking. It really helps make the comic excruciating to keep up with.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You know how a lot of Webcomics can read a lot better when read all at once so the pacing seems faster? Somehow I think Legacy would read worse because you'd have to see the same things over and over and over again without a weekend to forget all of it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Dominic Deegan, as I recall, read worse when it was archived. A lot of webcomics honestly do because the authors structure the story around their posting schedule, so they usually try to have some sort of cliffhanger or big reveal on whatever is their posting equivalent of a Friday (as in before the weekend/largest gap between comics, assuming your usual MWF schedule a lot of webcomics follow(ed?)). Like I seem to recall towards the end especially that Deegan was more or less the weekly version of what seasons of the Walking Dead are; spinning their wheels with meaningless filler until the final episode/strip of the season/week where some sort of cliffhanger would happen leading to a meaningful (well, 'meaningful') resolution on Monday.

Mookie may have posted 5 (or was it seven?) days a week back when, but only the Monday and Friday strips tended to actually have anything resembling plot advancement. Tuesday through Thursday were just repetition or spinning wheels.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Even the cliffhangers were bullshit and would be pointless on a re-read.

"I'm going to the desert of Eldariat TO DIE..."

"...and by 'die' I mean a metaphorical death, not actual death, no reason to be concerned."

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

TheHan posted:

It’s amazing to me that Mookie is bending over backwards to have everyone write to each other to have his “dialogue less” comic and he’s still not actually being clear on what’s going on

I mean, like, what the gently caress does “X ENDINGS” mean? Why did it defuse the conflict? I don’t understand any of it, but I’m reasonably sure that next strip there will be over eighty words but they’ll all be written in Snouts diary so they don’t COUNT

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Dominic Deegan, as I recall, read worse when it was archived. A lot of webcomics honestly do because the authors structure the story around their posting schedule, so they usually try to have some sort of cliffhanger or big reveal on whatever is their posting equivalent of a Friday (as in before the weekend/largest gap between comics, assuming your usual MWF schedule a lot of webcomics follow(ed?)). Like I seem to recall towards the end especially that Deegan was more or less the weekly version of what seasons of the Walking Dead are; spinning their wheels with meaningless filler until the final episode/strip of the season/week where some sort of cliffhanger would happen leading to a meaningful (well, 'meaningful') resolution on Monday.

Mookie may have posted 5 (or was it seven?) days a week back when, but only the Monday and Friday strips tended to actually have anything resembling plot advancement. Tuesday through Thursday were just repetition or spinning wheels.

It was a very bad read in archive form. To start, I believe the comic was a loose m/w/f with breaks when Mookie felt like it. He experimented with doing dailies for a brief period with colored pencil ones uploaded on Sundays during the latter part of the Erossus arc but soon abandoned this for being too much :effort:. Once Mookie was able to make his living from the comic, he did (or said he did, anyway) 5 a week with weekends off. That said, he would often have unexplained hiatuses where he would upload a "pardon our dust" non-update or some promotional image or sketch. He would take breaks when going on cons, traveling, or vacation because he never discovered the concept of a buffer and as we know from him doing things like having the next day's comic stored locally on the site, he never figured out advanced computer wizardry like having the site upload something automatically when he couldn't be around to post.

He wrote the comic from this stage like a newspaper comic with Tuesday establishing some kind of premise or topic, the first 2-4 of the 8 panels from Wednesday and Thursday reminding you of the topic, as though you had missed Tuesday's, Friday having a fake cliffhanger of some sort, even when the characters were just loving around playing basketball or eating dinner, and then a "resolution" as you're describing on Monday. He did these consciously and sometimes called them "weekend cliffhangers" when he'd upload something on the blog during the weekend.

It was breathtaking, the amount of "effort" he expended to get nothing done. It still is, really.

skeleton warrior posted:

It’s amazing to me that Mookie is bending over backwards to have everyone write to each other to have his “dialogue less” comic and he’s still not actually being clear on what’s going on

I mean, like, what the gently caress does “X ENDINGS” mean? Why did it defuse the conflict? I don’t understand any of it, but I’m reasonably sure that next strip there will be over eighty words but they’ll all be written in Snouts diary so they don’t COUNT
Snout is saying "endings" to mean "stop fighting," as in bring an "ending" to the argument. I know that's a reach, but that's what it's going to be.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is. He is either establishing that they can find the answer to their problems if they read the book together, or simply telling them to stop bickering. Because he has such power over either of them.

In fact, the appropriate response from those two should be to tell him to gently caress off, or to ditch him while stealing that book away.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They're choosing to listen to Snout because (multiple choice):
A) He's such a nice guy.
B) He's extremely knowledgeable and they won't be able to figure this out without his intellect.
C) His decades(?) of living as a hermit in the only tame part of the Wild Edge make him the perfect guide.
D) He's Mookie's self-insert, and why wouldn't you listen to Mookie?
E) Mookie thinks it's B but it's actually D.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, you see, they both need his help, because [SCENE MISSING]

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

What's he writing in panel 3?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheHan posted:

It took him a lot of concentration to draw that x

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think he's taking notes from the book into his journal, the X with "endings" is one of the "ink drippings" horoscope thingies the ink witch did, not something he wrote

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People have said it a million times, but in the hands of a competent writer this could be a good comic. The idea of a deaf character trying to make sense of a fairly complex plot without any meaningful way of communicating with the other characters is pretty neat!

But nope, there's no actual communication barrier here. All it means is that Mookie just doesn't draw speech bubbles :effort:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, you see, they both need his help, because [SCENE MISSING]

They just know Snouts going to be important.

Because you know, Snouts going to be important, Mookie knows this, and thus all his characters act like it subconciously.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

They just know Snouts going to be important.

Because you know, Snouts going to be important, Mookie knows this, and thus all his characters act like it subconciously.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: Mookie is so dumb he has never achieved theory of mind. It explains so much about this comic and its ancestor.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Man I miss downtown Erossus.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's the mute guy who has to be the voice of reason.

Heh, that's nearly something that could look like it'd approach the vicinity of being somewhat relatively close to amusing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

This comic is so boring that scenes end with the characters just deciding to go home.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheHan posted:

This comic is so boring that scenes end with the characters just deciding to go home.

Is she giving him gently caress-me eyes or is she having a stroke?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Is she immediately coming onto him after writing? "I hope you still trust me" Is that what is suppose to be happening?

Damnit Mookie. And this means we get another week of naked sleep time and dreams.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The correct response is ‘I never trusted you.’

The response he will give is sex.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mors Rattus posted:

The correct response is ‘I never trusted you.’

The response he will give is sex.

The more correct response is both.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
She has a bigger snout than Snout.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i'm ready for the two week long explicit sex sequence

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

YF-23 posted:

The more correct response is both.

yeah in the hands of a good writer, "I hope you still trust me" "I never trusted you" and then a smash cut to them loving would actually be a good-- ha ha, "smash cut"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Look at that vacant rear end stare in the last panel. Good lord.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
After so many years of doing this, Mookie still can't get the characters to loving look at each other properly. Snout appears to be staring at her eyebrows.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I check on this thread every few weeks and every time it seems like the exact same scene is happening. I've read Mookie's stuff for a shamefully long time and I still can't believe how bad he is at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rudecyrus posted:

She has a bigger snout than Snout.

Every time she acts sketchy her nose grows. Like a silent Pinocchio.