Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Look at that vacant rear end stare in the last panel. Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What in the actual hell are these panels. They don’t even look like one leads to another.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Mookie theater

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This is baffling on a human behavior level. Snout is like a videogame character just trudging forward to find the next macguffin to interact with because what else are ya gonna do?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Uh

That was a joke

Like saying Miku invented Minecraft

WHAT

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

The human creator of minecraft decloaked as a terf, so people including the game company itself disavowed him, so people began saying Miku created the game as a joke.

Dang it guy I’m doing a username thing here! :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FlocksOfMice posted:

Heh, I'm a real good guy who REALLY cares about women.

Also if you don't fit into my narrow view of nerdy women you aren't a real woman and you're ugly and unnattractive. Women with big breasts? Disgusting. I'm glad I'm an educated, sophisticated male who casually dismisses a whole bunch of women as not being entitled to womanhood because they aren't what I'm sexually interested in.

Ignore what all those lovely alpha-men say about what women need to be! I'm not like that! Because I'm saying women should have obscure nerd trivia memorized and then they're worth my dick, which is a very valuable thing for them to all desire, of course, because this dick respects women (so long as they exist in the specific forms that satisfy it correctly).

Holy gently caress Ernest Cline is worse than I had even imagined. How can you be that self-unaware??

... is Dominic Deegan going to get like this too, I'm scared.

Obviously, yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Man I forgot how much fun Jacob was before Mookie needed him to stop making Dominic look less perfect.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

The last panel is literally a drawing of a Guilty Gear character,. Looks too lovely to be a direct trace but it could be.

Yeah that's literally Ki Kisuke from Guilty Gear.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's not super clear at this moment though you can infer from Semashi but, Bumper isn't black. He's fantasy non-specific Not!Middle Eastern.

Which in no way makes it better but there ya go. :shepface:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

From time to time I'm reminded Americans do not consider Italians and Spanish people to be white.

Spain and Italy being liminally white is not a uniquely American phenomenon friend. That poo poo, especially for Spain, is hundreds of years old and pre-dates America.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

There was no concept of whiteness at all in the Middle Ages. There was just Christendom and Heathens.

The modern concept of racial identity was created by the Spanish after they discovered America, and then appropriated by the English who decided that white people were defined by being either Anglo or Saxon, while everyone else from Sweden to Italy and from Ireland to Russia was of a swarthy complexion.

You should probably read up on the black legend of Spanish colonialism and how English/Dutch propaganda more or less drummed Spain out of the white club in the 17th/18th century as a rhetorical tool of convenience. Spain and southern Italy have long had connotations of being liminally white due to ~moor blood~ for central Europeans and for the English in particular.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ahahaha oh my lord I forgot about Urban Eddie :ughh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

With each new pointless meandering Snout grows more gormless than before. Gaze into his vacant thought extinguishing eyes and despair.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised DD was ever that popular. Even for early 2000s, this isn't very GOOD. I can vaguely remember a good two-dozen much, much higher quality comics I got bored of reading even back when I was really into webcomics as a thing. How popular WAS DD at the time? I never even knew of it outside of the CAD mock threads jazz hands references, I never had encountered it in the wild other than a vague memory of a comic with a guy that looked like a poorly drawn Dr. Who ripoff.

Consistency helps. For all its many many many flaws, DD updated liked clockwork.

Consistency has been a long bugbear of webcomics. Consider Megatokyo, which is of the same era as DD, and is still running. Well, running isn't the right word. It moves like a glacier.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HellOnEarth posted:

You know once, in the days if the old mock thread, I would have given Mookie the benefit of the doubt and just said he was a young dumbass but now that I remember he had a heroic rapist and a heroic wife-beater... wow, he is virulently misogynistic. Why was he always looking for ways to legitimize and excuse violence towards women?

Violence towards women makes him horny.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Really starting to come around on the "Ink Witch isn't an abuser, THIS is an abuser" theory

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Marin Karin posted:

man, remember when this was about some guy being super obsessed finding out what happened to a person he never heard of before?

Woah now lets get one thing straight here

Snout has never expressed strong feelings about ANYTHING, let alone something that could be described as obsession.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Can we just gas this awful thread where people climb over each other to make the most bombastic declaration of how bad Dominic Deegan is and then pat each other on the back at how virtuous we all are

This thread is exactly as lovely as the old mock thread and a reminder of why we stopped doing mock threads.

The fact that the exchange and avatar bullshit that just happened, happened, should be all the proof you need. There is nothing to be salvaged here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Man Mookie has literally never met an actual academic in his life has he.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

King Dave, like all the antagonists in Deegan, achieved his status through determination and hard work. He was born a beggar and studied to improve his magic and join the royal knights. At some point, he had a vision where he glimpsed the far realm where the beast lived. This blinded him, but while he was there, he made a deal with the beast to get a huge mana boost in exchange for... actually it's never mentioned. Presumably letting the beast destroy the world. A natural consequence of Mookie ripping off "Full Metal Alchemist" without understanding anything about the story.

His goal iirc was that there was a whole Sozin's Comet thing going on where magic ebbs and flows and only one race has the lions share of magical power at a time. The cycle was supposed to flow from Callan/Humans to Maltak/The Orcs next, King Dave was a human supremacist who believed that by working with the Beast he could stop the cycle from...cycling, basically. Human supremacy forever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Remind me, didn't Nimmel end up hooking up with Katya? As a designated Quasi-Deegan it was his right to magnanimously heal broken women with his Nice Guyness or something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Really loving Snout’s “I’m a special boy” face as his dick gets stroked

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So did she walk away or vanish into the aether

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Seriously what is going on with the way her skin is drawn

What is being conveyed

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Please do not fixate on the Snoutussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I had the same experience. I was our group's DM in college and I was super excited about 4E - the changes on the DM side were really cool and made it easy to craft really fun combat scenarios. But every one of my players rejected it and refused outright to play because of things like the changes to alignment and "they just made it like WOW".

And then 5E came out and it stripped away everything I loved about 4E and made it bland, while still being a rather complex game that's a pain to learn for new players, somehow. I'm still casually looking for a new game with mechanics I like that I can convince my current friends to play (who are not the same people as in college, thank gently caress). I'm hoping Tom Parkinson-Morgan's (the Kill Six Billion Demons guy) ICON will be it, as I love the mechanics of his previous 2 RPGs, but my friends aren't super into those settings.

Maybe I should check out Pathfinder 2E? I HAVE heard good things besides Mookie's recommendation.

The thing you have to understand about Tom is that for him TTRPGs are a fun side project where he gets to make cool art and then move on. Maintaining and supporting a game is something he is involved with begrudgingly/contractually at best which is why the Lancer situation is what it is post-Miguel getting hired by WotC and moving on. Expect ICON to play out accordingly.

Pathfinder 2E is probably what you want. It’s blatantly aping a lot of the good poo poo from 4E but cleverly disguised in a way that traditionalists won’t mind.