Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ague Proof posted:

The bard will have a sign-language interpreter and subtitles.

I remember an extended piano sequence in Quiet Man that was completely useless because there was no goddamn loving sound.

Can't wait to see how they do that in pictures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I saw a barren plain with a big hole full of trees for some reason

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That is an entire genre of Cake Wreck.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheHan posted:

Finally in Konoha, good god. I won’t even get into the logistics behind that sign.

The coloring is REALLY loving with me on this. At least, that's all I can figure out here. All of the big, light colored rocks look closer to us than the buildings. It's only supposed to be true for some of them, but... Ugh, it's a weird eye maze.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invisible Clergy posted:

I'm pretty sure those are trees. The fact it's not clear is another indictment of his inability to draw.

I said "lighter", I mean the ones that were unshaded altogether.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What about Ball Made of Smaller Balls though?? Does he not get a book?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Can someone explain panel five because, uh, what?

"stop fighting" but he's using her ink reading explanations because.....? writing would take time?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love how the idiot has just assumed they are arguing for petty reasons and not because like... I don't know, one of them murdered the other one's family or one of them is a war criminal. I am sure he will be right and they will have to reluctantly team up or whatever, but boy would he feel stupid if he realized he was telling a nice person and a war criminal to just get along.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ink readings are Mookie doing that techbro thing of inventing something that already exists but in an unnecessary, roundabout way.

It's ink drips that aren't drips, just pictures that have meanings! And they are on pieces of paper! A reader has to interpret them!

Just like... tarot cards. Pictures on cards. That have meanings. That are interpreted by a reader.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I vaguely remember Mookie trying to sell something with a drawing of a famous building on it that turned out to be very much traced from a copyrighted photo. Anyone remember the details on that one?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If this doesn't end in his deafness being cured or someone patiently trying to explain that a potion stand that claims it can cure deafness is loving lying, then I hate. I just hate.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And nothing comes of him maybe finding something to cure his major disability :V Ffffffffffffffuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkyyyyyyyyyyooooooouuuuuuu

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've just been reminded of how good The Mask was. Remember how The Mask had a relatively serious story underneath layers of weird Looney Toons poo poo? It could go straight from an insane dance number to a guy trying to comfort his badly injured friend only for said friend to die, then straight back to the insane dance number... and it actually worked and was good and it didn't feel like the writer just getting distracted by a random thought.

I would kill for this to just turn into The Mask.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheHan posted:

Okay, hold on just a minute...why the gently caress would Snout, who was JUST here and tried a remedy that both didn't work and was disgusting...Bring his friend to the SAME SHOP and let him drink another remedy with no warning? This doesn't even BEGIN to add up???

ASK FOR THE loving DEAFNESS CURE YOU STUPID gently caress

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

that was the earwax remover

oh goddamnit, nobody's going to advertise an earwax remover as a hearing loss cure i loving hate this man

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Riot Bus posted:

Honestly, there's nothing weird about boobs looking like that. That's basically just the reality behind what boobs do without support.

That said, the Ink Witch is such a freaking creeper. I have no idea what her problem is or why she is so obsessed with this guy she's barely met. Maybe she'll explain in the next page, but for the moment I'm just so strongly off-put by her behaviour. I was assuming he was like, accessing dream stuff by his own merits, but if that's not the case I'm just totally lost.

It's her middle that's super loving weird in that panel

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elysiume posted:

Finding out that someone has been repeatedly casting mind-affecting magic on you without your awareness or consent would be like finding out they offering you warm, drugged milk each night before bed without telling you it was drugged. Snout is way too relaxed about this.

I think I just realized: Mookie's been watching or playing the Witcher, hasn't he? She's Yennefering him and he's cool with it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Her butt is not a butt in that last panel, wtf is going on

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But he wasn't just able to translate a few words of the academic texts, he was able to comprehensively understand them - and some of the texts were specifically about prejudice in orcish culture. Unless this note is a totally different dialect it's weird he doesn't understand any of it.

Would I call it a plot hole? No. But is it pretty confusing and a bit of a logical leap? I think so.

It was convenient for Snout to understand those so Mookie could exposit to the audience. He wants Snout not to understand this note, so he doesn't.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

And we’re back to “the Ink Witch and Arduak yell at each other and Snout tells them to shut up”.

The comic is lapping itself.

I'm amazed that it can lap itself without having gone anywhere in the first place.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That guy's soul is in that flower or something isn't it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea what is physically going on in this scene. It doesn't help that it makes no sense unless Corpsemom and Snout are very large and in windows behind the plant guy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still confused as to why corpsemom's first thought was to eat the flower

She's an infant. Babies put everything in their mouth!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man, not only did Snout accidentally put on a shirt that doesn't have a "deaf" patch, but he never thought to make a "mute" patch! How embarrassing.

On that note, anyone else find it weird he's suddenly stopped wearing that patch, especially RIGHT after he got a new one? I'm guessing someone finally told Mookie it was a bad idea and he quietly retired it.

Or he had to try to draw it at an angle and decided he just goddamn hated it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh wow I REALLY hate it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

catlord posted:

He fridges her. Would he? I hope not. Is it a possibility? Unfortunately.

And then he's just heartbroken and grieving and Ink Witch mends her creepy ways and ends up his lover like he wanted in the first place, and he pats himself on the back for navigating that little speedbump.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

This is incredibly unpleasant to read

Dominic Deegan: This is incredibly unpleasant to read

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
100 words a page, 0 dialog.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Kind of like how it's really obvious that he doesn't know anyone who is deaf, and never even considered thinking about consulting a deaf person about this comic.

Ahh, the Quiet Man problem

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roman Reigns posted:

No, corpsemom is the chosen waifu of the Mookie insert and will suffer immensely in the story but will survive.

Ink Witch will die for the crimes of not being the waifu and being remotely attractive.

You say that now, but you forget when Ink Witch was clearly supposed to be the chosen waifu until people were really uncomfortable about her bullshit.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Howard Beale posted:

Congratulations. You've now spent more time thinking about it than Mookie has.

They actually haven't, it was a whole thing that orcs are herbivores but some of the things they eat are plant creatures.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

YF-23 posted:

With this sentence you gave the cultural implications and implied worldbuilding of the clothing infinitely more thought than mookie did. Somewhere between setting the start of the comic in the wild edge and now he's probably forgotten Callan is a thing.

I think it's simpler than that. He's literally got a "villains from Pocahontas" idea of civilization. "We're civilized, so if they are more like us, they are more civilized" And Callan is his "us".

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That library looks MISERABLE to navigate. I don't see a single sign, and it's goddamn enormous.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Uhhh... Honestly, I thought people finding spots of a piece of art that bugged them less weird than this full page of whatever you're doing here, man.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SupSuper posted:

Daxethar and Veth are these two:

Wait hold on, but like... Veth is basically his servant, right? Veth just takes note for him.

You don't get title credit for transcribing for your boss.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Riot Bus posted:

Yeah, because mocking art by purposefully misunderstanding simple information definitely makes you look cool and funny and smarter than Mookie. That's some Cinema Sins level poo poo.

This guy has only existed to take notes for Dexethar until this second. In the art, he's carrying multiple bags while Dexethar carries none, implying he's carrying both their bags. He didn't speak up for a moment, so to speak, in the only scenes he's been in. Meeting Snout was framed as this clandestine thing he was trying to hide from Dexethar, meaning it's highly unlikely that they're equals.

I dunno, maybe I'm reading some loving context clues and making an assumption accordingly. Because my brain put those together differently from yours, and our two heads do not share the same contents. Maybe the real problem is that you're seeing "coming to a different conclusion from me based on the information at hand" as "purposefully misunderstanding simple information."

Same with Vex's face, by the way! You could tell them apart easily, good for you, Mr. Smart Man. Other people couldn't.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Riot Bus posted:

This isn't a question of connecting dots - it's you deciding that your subjective first impression is more accurate and the word of god than what the further development the author is presenting. You're arguing as if it's objective fact that Veth is just a servant when his being credited suggests otherwise. Before the moment you saw him credited the take that he's just a servant was reasonable, but seeing him credited suggests otherwise. My issue with your post was that you seemed to think that the vibe you personally took away from the first meeting with the characters is more true than what is ostensibly the authorial intent.

This is the same as being introduced to two characters who are portrayed as passionately not getting along, only for the protagonist to later spot them kissing. You COULD go 'what! this doesn't make any sense! they were portrayed as not liking each other before! the author has forgotten their own story!", but in pretty much any narrative this would more reasonable be used to conclude that maybe their relationship is more complicated than you originally thought, rather than declaring it inaccurate to characters you hardly know anything abuot.

Sure, why not? If that turns out to be true, fine! But it's not the impression I got, so I made a one-off comment on a goddamn internet forum thread.

Or maybe it's Mookie and he doesn't know that you don't credit transcriptionists that way because it's a one-off detail on a single book cover that wasn't really worth more of a note than the single comment I made. And then you blow it up into a big thing. When you could have just let the comment pass without fanfare and it wouldn't have mattered.

Your subjective first impression of people in this thread was "willful misunderstanding." Maybe it's just MISUNDERSTANDING and nobody's trying that hard because they're reading a dumb comic thread on their phone on a break from something else. Meaning your subjective first impression, which you are taking as more accurate and the word of god than what is actually in people's brains, is also wrong.

Try this next time: "Well, maybe he's more important than has been implied." Ah, yes, you could be right, and you are doing so without being a dick about it! Good show.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, it's kinda funny where the line seemed to be drawn. They could get through the uncomfortable stuff but not a superhero?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah the fact that the orc mage dude (sorry I CANNOT remember these names)

Arudak.

...what the hell, that's apparently the only name I can clearly remember in this without looking back for clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ague Proof posted:

Mookie already knows that Jacob Deegan isn't close to Dominic so why would Snout care about him?

When you're right, you're right.