Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheHan posted:

Dominic's logic for not telling Sigfried's closest friends that he's suffering in hell is so busted. What could anyone do? We don't know! You never explained how the afterlife works and we never saw Dominic even pretend to try and research a way to redeem Sigfried's soul. And what the gently caress is up with Luna that her first idea to calm Milov down was to have him kill an illusion of Jayden? The Deegans are so consistently awful people that it makes it especially obvious how the universe bends over backwards to make them look righteous.

What's really fun about this re-read is forcing yourself to actually read an entire page instead of skipping half the dialogue in embarrassment.

All he had to do is have Dominic try to help him, have Sieg go "Look, there's no way out, I've seen it from this side and I know this. Don't tell anyone. I don't want their pity." That could even be made sorta ambiguous, like maybe he isn't a cartoon and still cares about the people he left behind and doesn't want them to hurt on his behalf. While still, at face value, reading like a selfish thing to say! the tiniest bit of nuance!

but nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheHan posted:

Now I'm remembering how Snout discovered the necromancy cancer, was spoonfed a dozen notes explaining what was happening there and then he just...refused to engage with it. That could've been his thing, he was the only one who knew what happened. Then Dex comes along already knowing exactly what happened and why. Oh well.

He didn't even write what happened down himself, seriously, he was like "I hated this and so I shall now forget it!"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Of course, Dominique.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Somewhere, Caianda feels someone walk over her grave.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebufo posted:

I'm guessing some sort of orc holocaust memorial

Also I know I didn't start my readthrough again, it's been a looooongggg week.

It is coming though.

Hey, I have a name now, let's go to a war memorial!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheHan posted:

I also remember a blog post revealing Madam Zanzibar is a character he used to play. The full "joke" in that first page being that the balls in question are Mookie's.

This is such a minor part of what's so far been a terrible chapter, but it's kinda weird Jacob's known for anything besides being a mass murdering necrophiliac! How does she even know this? Was he known for his moody writing before or after he infected his brother with necromantic rot? I'm just really tickled by this bit of lore. It's not like your villains shouldn't have layers, but how odd that anyone in-universe would bring up Jacob so casually.

I imagine it must be some big thing in Mookie's image of the guy in his head, because IT CAME UP IN THE NEW COMIC. His name's on the front of a book! A bit of continuity that actually connects!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"Name me, daddy"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

catlord posted:

I don't normally have as much an issue with Snout's tail as others, but boy oh boy do I hate it in that middle pose.

I'm hating the wrinkles in it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

New page is up - finally, the answers we've been looking for!

Yes! We finally have the answer to the question of whether Snout's diary is ok! And what those symbols mean - we've NEVER had those explained before!

"I'm running out of things to write about" oh my god

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Or she's dead so her teeth broke? I dunno.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The dead GF also had hippo teeth in the photo on his desk, yes.

Oh, I see, it's a desperate attempt to make her look distinct from other people while putting her in different clothes/hair

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

so I read the first 100 pages of this thread and thought I'd jump ahead

does the ink witch have a name yet?

She asked Snout to name her because ink witches don't do names, only nicknames, and he nicknamed her Ink Witch.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

gently caress you Mookie

A different female character showed up who he also helped name. But like a REAL name because she didn't have one.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

for gently caress sake

That woman wasn't white and neither is the character. Also the character had Anger Issues that Snout fixed. Also she's mostly drawn without clothes.

DRINK IT IN

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's something about Mookie's insistence on leaving the good guys hands lily white while at the same time just REVELING in torturing characters with other characters that reeeeeally feels icky.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zerilan posted:

Basically it's like if Scar's death showed the hyenas ripping him apart in full detail instead of just the shadows of it.

And if you felt like the writer was REALLY INTO killing that lion.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, can we not do the "he's written something sorta offensive and has some gross ideas, therefore he is mentally ill and above reproach" thing?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It is a fascinating trainwreck for me.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm mentally ill and having one of my old lovely webcomics criticized by a roving band of goons was what originally drew me to SA

also one of the contributing factors to me actually improving, as both an artist and a writer

Mookie refusing to hear criticism doesn't mean people are obligated to stop criticizing him

(your current one is very good, btw, I stumbled on it through your avatar/text. I identify with the lead more than I'd like to admit.)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Holy god, I looked at more of his tweets

https://twitter.com/LoadingCrew/status/1447748361747148806

https://twitter.com/LoadingCrew/status/1447742191036678144

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

She also told Corpsemommy she has no soul. I'm pretty sure she's about to drown Snout

She kinda rules?

I don't know why everyone thinks she told her that she has no soul. She had a reflection. The witch did something to it. It vanished. And then it showed an angle where we couldn't even see what she was looking at anymore. She could have seen anything in there.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Regalingualius posted:

I know that we poo poo on this strip for how badly it tries to adhere to “NO DIALOGUE”, but what are some comics that you all would say actually handles a no/minimal dialogue gimmick well?

It's an entire thing in comics to intermittently do "no dialog" comics. In Marvel anyway. It's called Nuff Said, just like an issue where there's no dialog. They almost universally do it way better.

Also there's a rather famous GI Joe comic with Snake Eyes that's no dialog, Silent Interlude. It was the first appearance of Storm Shadow, and it manages to express roughly who Storm Shadow is without a shred of dialog.

"Oh poo poo, they're connected, and there's EMOTIONS involved in that!"

Legacy just reminds me of The Quiet Man, where it's handling its gimmick in the most inept way possible while thinking it's Art.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hate the look on her face.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

Well, it would be anachronistic for any of the main cast to wear them as they're all snooty upper class people

You are CRIMINALLY forgetting the literal Texan cowboy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

Oh gently caress off

gently caress OFF

He's the guy who actually kills Dracula, you can't forget Quincey Morris!

(he does it with a Bowie knife)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 23, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

yeah I think that's more bis dumb hair gimmick getting in the way of the actual curve, so it is a pretty bad art fail but I don't think Mookie's Anatomy is so bad he's drawing arms backwards and not noticing

Of course I could definitely be wrong :shrug:

Look farther up the arm, past the hair. That forearm is definitely behind the upper arm.

He is absolutely drawing the arm wrong.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Mookie couldn't actually think of an issue the Ink Witch has that might hold Snout back so he just stated she is and is assuming the audience will buy it.

Worse, he might have a reason and doesn't understand he needs to tell the audience. "I know it, why don't you guys??"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

Considering how much of this comic is dedicated to absolutely nothing happening a scene where his "friends" bought him a magic brush as a gift and he was heartwarmed by receiving gift first gift ever would have been cool

Would have taken 1 page, and we've had so many to spare

The Ink Witch is RIGHT THERE, she could literally give him some sweet-rear end magic brush she made for him herself. Corpsemommy has no money, but she could say she wants to replace his notebook that was ruined in the lake. (instead of it being magically okay) Arudak could team up with her to find him a nice one and buy it. Together, we have a team-sourced gift that would be very useful!

you could even like... do poo poo with that! Maybe he can't find anyone for a while after he gets distracted by the Vegetables and starts to feel down because he made a sacrifice (look, we're assuming a lot of things are better than they are here, let's say there was one) for their sakes, and he suddenly feels unneeded. But then they come back and surprise, they were gone because they were trying to do something nice for him while he was distracted and wanted it to be a surprise!

Change it around. There was that plot point where he felt useless. There was a plot point where his notebook was destroyed, which would leave him unable to communicate and even more "useless" since we apparently don't have any sign language in these parts. Have the others stop what they're doing to get him a new notebook and a magic pen. Then instead of "They're holding you back," have the water lady's revelation be "You're holding them back." That's both a fact and something that would play into his insecurities massively. Instead of immediately being resolved, this nags at him. They get into the city and he kinda wanders off without them when they aren't looking. But they all stop what they're doing again to find him, worried. They have a Discussion like humans do, and they tell him that they were happy to stop to help him, even if it delayed their goals. That book was his voice, so it was important. I don't know, maybe you want to make a statement about disability? Have them point out that his value isn't merely in contribution to their goals, he has value as a person. Just because he hasn't been able to contribute much so far, that doesn't mean he's any less important than anyone else. Then you've strung these things together in an arc, and it can maybe even tie in to your dumb gimmick!

god, this is such a void of planning and ideas, it's like watching a bad game of Wheel of Fortune. So many things could fit in the blanks and work, but for some reason, this guy's guessing poo poo like X and Z.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly I'm getting kinda disturbed with how much Mookie portrays Snouth, who is deaf, as people often portray characters with severe learning difficulties.

Yeah, I hate it so much. Reminds me of an AITA post where a woman was like "I was worried my deaf-born child may never be able to live on their own!" It's DEAFNESS! it just means you can't hear! In Snout's case, he also can't speak, but that also doesn't matter to how your brain works!

If he was just said to be childish because he grew up literally alone his whole life, maybe that'd be something? Like a "kid raised by wolves" thing? But he isn't, he's just deaf and mute.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Snout should have the gift of prophecy. The kind that sweeps on you in dreams that need to be interpreted and poo poo, not the kind where you just know what happens. And he should be the ONLY one.

There, now he's integral to the plot and tied into Dominic's whatever.

...Hey, it's the return of the flat rear end that he wants us to think isn't!

OH GOD NO

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1461389330849669120

euuuuh

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cannot F5 hard enough while waiting for this content that will surely destroy my brain cells.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have regrets

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

God he did the weird pube mustache thing again. And this character previously had full bush. AGAIN. Why does he DO that? It's such a weirdly specific thing and it's bugging the hell out of me.

He doesn't know how to draw the actual bits when there's a bush, in his brain it's either bush hides bits or see bits sans hair.

I feel like someone should change the thread title to "Mookie has drawn a sex scene, God help us all"

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 19, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Yeah. The 2016 Doom Slayer is pretty much a "I have existed for centuries doing one thing and one thing only: killing demons."

Also the pulp novels they made based off of Doom. The protagonist, Flynn Taggert, would also qualify as Neutral/Chaotic Good. That was a weird loving book series though. The demons were actually genetically engineered monsters made by space aliens specifically to scare us based of our cultural fears. Flynn, his lady partner Arlene, some mormons and a two-headed space alien named Sears and Roebuck travel to the alien homeworld where, because of time dilation from FTL travel, the aliens have hyper-evolved into a new microscopic form and have infected humanity. These alien possessed humans then plug Flynn and Arlene into a simulator of their past experiences on Mars, but manipulate the events by re-remembering them and the series ends with the two characters living the rest of their lives in a Matrix-esque simulation.

I'd much rather be reading that right now.

(They even explored Doom maps and commented on it, with one of the characters asking, "Why the gently caress is this place shaped like a hand?")

I mean, he's still not bad though. There's like no voice, but there's moments like Optimus Prime going on about his work and Doomguy looks down at a dead human and clenches his fist.

He's just very angry!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Didn't it come up in the old threads that Mookie used to do sensual photography of female models done-up to look like corpses? That raises (more) unfortunate questions about Corpsemom if true. I'll admit I could be misremembering or thinking of some other awful web comicer.

He had photos of it in an unprotected folder on his server. People found it while getting comic images or something.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SubG posted:

Would-be magicians have been trying to cast spells with their spunk for centuries, it's a thing.

The founder of the jet propulsion laboratory was one of them even!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebufo posted:

How does mookie think pubic hair works on women.

The orcs and the ink witch go to the same waxer, and they all ask for "The Halo".

Obviously it just hangs back respectfully from the bits. Gives them some space.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Before braces, I had an overbite as long as my thumbnail. I feel like an underbite version of that could work fine, just gotta find one for a reference!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Samovar posted:

The tusks do not follow the curve of the mouth, that's what's doing my nut in.

Thank you for the much better drawings of Orc Ladies. Another good example would be Ryōko Kui's Leed from Dungeon Meshi (I don't know how to link a pic accordingly, sorry).

Well let's see what she looks like-

SHE'S ADORABLE AND I LOVE HER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He just helped conceive Luna reincarnated.

That's the only plot I can get out of this.