Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

SardonicTyrant posted:

He actually had some RPG world characters on an episode of OK-KO.

And then he married Rebecca Sugar.

Huh, I didn't know they got married. Good for them!

Tesseraction posted:

Welp, time to go crawling through that.

It's this episode, if you just want to see it. OK KO's kind of serialized, but most episodes (like this one) are standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's funny how he thinks he's not good at color when the issue is that he's not good at any art.

And he's still just winging it now. He won't put in the effort and practice to actually learn the fundamentals. If you wanted to learn how to draw, there's like a billion resources out there for you. I know someone who currently leads free art classes/practice sessions on an animation Discord.

Is this an open Discord?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, it's Ethan Becker's discord. I'll edit in an invitation here when I find it.

Edit: discord link here: https://discord.gg/eKD9hfy

My friend streams the sessions on his twitch page: http://www.twitch.tv/iamspacedad?sr=a

Totally free but tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Danica means "morning star" :rolleyes:

Eh, that's fair enough. Superheroes often have 'meaningful' names, after all. Still, I almost can't believe Star Power ended on such a wet fart. I guess actually having an ending puts it above Strong Female Protagonist, as low a bar as that is.

Heliotrope posted:

I feel like as a white cis het man, Mookie may not understand why other people might like characters who are not bound by the rules of society and act against them.

Absolutely this.

Honestly, I'm excited for this abbreviated look at original recipe Dominic Deegan. It'll be good for the ol' creative thinking to discuss just what went wrong with it.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 23, 2020

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Don't forget Dominic constantly slut-shaming one of his students, who also later on would proceed to resort to sex work to raise money for Dominic's vacation.

Wait, what? Apparently, I've missed bigger problems with Dominic Deegan than I thought.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Said student starts selling racy photos of herself in skimpy outfits to raise money. She basically starts a patreon/onlyfans to raise money for the vacation of the teacher that constantly slutshames her.

I read through the old mock thread, and was even in one of the first drinking streams. I'm not sure how to feel about not remembering this at all.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Wow, "Hitmen for Destiny" was a blast.

Yeah, I read through that and "Transdimensional Brain Chip" yesterday and today. Them along with "Trixie Slaughterhouse For President" a few weeks back, they're very interesting!

The Little Death posted:

Just wanted to loop back to this and say I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's actually been really interesting for me because I can't believe how much of this story I re-edited in my brain. It was so much worse than I remembered.

I know, it's been a real illustration of the unreliability of memory here. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

The Little Death posted:

Just wanted to say that some personal stuff is getting in the way but I will resume my read-through soon.

Take care, The Little Death. I've really enjoyed you going through the original DD comics, take all the time you need!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Kavak posted:

I had forgotten/not known until this point that Melna was a loving child when jazzhands happened. I'm honestly not sure what to say.

It's a very strange feeling, seeing that original Deegan is even worse than I remembered it being. Because I remembered it being total garbage that glorified a rapist by making everyone who didn't like him literally be influenced by demons into not liking him.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'm so sorry for your loss, TLD. I've really enjoyed the retrospective on original DD so I'm glad it's helping you as well, though I'll echo the sentiments on not pushing yourself over it.

Dominic is just the perfect example of how not to make a reluctant hero, huh?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
In a way, it's impressive that Mookie's been doing this for nearly twenty years and hasn't even managed to accidentally improve. I honestly don't know how that could happen.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

:allears: Heh, nice.

You know, Dominic Deegan always reminded me of this other webcomic I read, The Last Days of FOXHOUND. It's a fan-comic about what FOXHOUND was doing set a few years before and leading up to Metal Gear Solid. The art is pretty bad and it gets no points for character design because it's a fan-comic, but it was still much better at visually conveying information than either DD or Legacy has ever been. I realize that's not a high bar, but it's something I think about from time to time.

Here's an example:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Simply amazing. "There's always more and it's always worse" fits entirely too well here, I'll certainly never bet on anything else in regards to Mookie's work again.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

super sweet best pal posted:

How does everyone here come up with names? I just stare at the screen and think of random syllables until something sounds right.

Grug... bor. Lord Grugbor. Of... Blade... gyre. Lord Grugbor of Bladegyre! Now there's an Orc king I'd gladly follow into battle.

If I'm not going with a theme of some kind, I usually use Behind The Name's generator.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Agent Rush posted:

In a way, it's impressive that Mookie's been doing this for nearly twenty years and hasn't even managed to accidentally improve. I honestly don't know how that could happen.

Oh, you sweet summer child you. At this point it's been more than twenty years and he's only gotten worse somehow. 'Impressive' is certainly a word for Mookie's anti-progress, given that I've read through the few hundred pages since I'd last checked the thread and there's always more and it's always worse.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Emrikol posted:

Sometimes bad media shows you what not to do.

Yeah, that's been true of DD since the beginning. Sometimes an example of what not to do is just as valuable as one of what to do!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Honestly, I feel even better, at least where the arts are concerned. I absolutely agree that it is vital any aspiring writer reads many books and watches many films, but I also think that it's really important to examine autopsies of infamously bad media. Because a lot of the rules of storytelling are hard to notice when done well, but become crystal clear when they are hosed up.

Matt and Trey are garbage people with garbage politics who have done real, probably irreparable, harm to the world, but they know their craft, and this short video is great but also is something you can learn from analyzing why a lot of modern stuff fails. Like the failure to do the stuff in this video is why the ending of Game of Thrones was so bad even people dumb enough to not realize the show ha been bad for years still noticed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGUNqq3jVLg

EDIT: It also applies to everything Mookie has ever written. I don't think any of his stories really ever have an actual narrative but/therefore as laid out in the video. At best he does "and then" and at worst we get total non-sequitors like the worst parts of Legacy here.

That makes sense, thanks for the link.

Happy Landfill posted:

Look, I'm going to be a big sad sack and say that despite my comical anger at this comic I have genuinely enjoyed reading it with all of you guys :shobon:

Same! It's been a ride, but I'm glad we took it together. :glomp:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

DicktheCat posted:

I've actually not uploaded much of him outside of a Google docs I've been keeping a few little vignettes in. I would have to move it to an account that has nothing to do with my irl to show, but don't mind if you're really interested.

I fell behind in the thread and only recently caught up, but I would love to see more of this!

Somehow, it's still incredibly fascinating to watch Mookie fail to even accidentally improve after all this time.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

DicktheCat posted:

Also, I'm absolutely flattered. Genuinely. I'm much more shy about showing my writing than my art.

If you really want, gimme some way to send you a gdocs link so I'm not self- promoting or hijacking the thread more than I seem prone to.

EDIT: There was contact info here, they're gone now.

Thanks!

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 5, 2024

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

DicktheCat posted:

You should have a request from a rando on discord.

I have like these really vague memories that he's said it annoyed him... but that could just be memories from the old threads. When the mock streams were going on, we were drinking a lot, after all.

I love of genuinely am glad those recordings are kinda gone. I was a much different person back then, and way meaner.

Got it, thanks again!

Honestly, same. Hell, I still thought I was a guy back then!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

FlocksOfMice posted:

OH THAT'S RIGHT there was a cameo of one of the dragons in Unpacking and that freaked me out at the time because I was like "Wait, why is this little indie game referencing an ancient webcomic from my childhood?" That the same person was involved in both makes SO MUCH sense. Glad to see people still out there Doing It.

I'm rereading Kidd Radd now and it's exactly as good as I remember it. It's so tightly loving written, there's like some silly monkey cheese humor but even it manages to avoid feeling stale. There's almost no wasted lines and scenes, this entire thing was obviously planned out from start to finish and it's wonderful watching it be executed. I'm sad the internet doesn't seem to know what this person went on to do, because I'd love to see more from them.

e: the more I read it the more I realize how incredibly foundational it was to my interest in metafictive elements in my own work, wow. I forgot how many of my overarching ideas had their seed in Kidd Radd

No, she said she knows her dad loves her and even if he's been abusive to her, he's still her dad and she loves him so everyone else has to just :dealwithit:

drat, that's probably true for me too! Kidd Radd is so much better than anything Mookie's done it's kind of unfair to compare them, but given where the new story is headed I think I'm due for a re-read of KR myself.

Anything to dull the pain of reading The Legacy of Dominic Deegan...

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MiracleFlare posted:

What, you don't all trust the author who wrote feminist stories such as "COCSA can be heroic under certain circumstances, and if you're still mad about it you have a demon in your brain" and "man hijacks a woman's pilgrimage to call her a whore and talk about how religious trauma made him kill his mom" to give a respectful analysis of violent systemic sexism and how to dismantle it?

I do not, surprisingly! I'd say I can't believe this is where he's going with his "all-ages anthology stories", but I know better than that by now.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
"It'll be dumber than I can guess" has consistently been true of new Dominic Deegan content since the original. I have since given up on trying to predict Mookie's nonsense, simply letting it wash over me as the inevitable eroding waves it is.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

FlocksOfMice posted:

I mean, someone who loves queer spaces would never NOT know that trans people, esp. somewhat middler-aged trans people, have sometimes referred to themselves as changelings/used the concept of being a fae shapeshifter as a metaphor because of the experience of being trans in the 90s-00s where being trans was a huge deal and you basically HAD to be stealth or face a ton of poo poo, and just being accused of being trans could be enough to ruin your life, so lots of trans people lived these kinda secret double lives where they felt like they were changelings infiltrating human society.

I'm certain someone who loves queer spaces isn't going to have the public reveal of Ragna Barfbeard be similar to like. Idk. Ace Venture outing the villain of the first movie as trans in front of a huge crowd and it being a big shocking reveal to out someone and how dare they pretend and infiltrate society to manipulate and twist it by harming gender roles?

I swear to loving god Mookie if your "twist" is a "not-really-a-woman" has infiltrated society and started upending gender roles for her own evil schemes and the good guys win by outing her publicly I"m gonna loving scream.

:emptyquote:

Please don't let the exclamation point there in anyway imply excitement, instead take it as the dawning horror it represents in this instance. :negative:

Invisible Clergy posted:

I disagree re: Dungeon Meshi for precisely the reasons touched upon in your first sentence. Mookie's interest in anime, just like his interest in derivative second-world western sword and sorcery fantasy, is purely superficial cargo culting. I doubt he's got his thumb on the pulse of upcoming anime enough to really know or care about Meshi, much less have that be the thing that colors the comic of the week since it was the last thing he consumed.

I'm going to briefly e/n about names: (going to be defaulting to binary for this because I know Mookie is not going to have names/characters that exist outside of the male/female dichotomy, but I'm sure in a better comic, questions about gnc dwarves' names would be good fodder for conversation between updates.)

Mookie having dwarves be named Mortimer Malevolentmustache (A given name as the first name, a family name as the surname like in modern U.S.) obviates the need for dwarves to give their sons names that rhyme with the names of their fathers.

Obviously Mookie's just doing it because it was in lotr and didn't think about why, but I'm calling bullshit for a number of reasons.

Groin named his son Gloin because his son wouldn't be born "Gloin Smith" by default, so everyone would not know from his second name which family he was associated with, so they adopt this as a workaround.

Since Dwarven, like any language, has a finite inventory of legal sounds (e.g. his son probably wouldn't be named Bnoin) that would mean you'd have a somewhat limited repository of possible names for a bloodline of amab children.

Beyond this, with a culture that is rigidly calcified as the dwarves of this island who are very isolationist and hidebound, it's likely that parents have to pick prospective names from a government-approved list, like how some cultures used to only be allowed to pick Biblical names as given names for their children, for example. So Gordi > Bordi > Nordi might be all the options. This would narrow the pool further beyond all possible names that you can construct with the sounds in the language, like how in English, "Michael" is a name, and the "Ji" sound is legal, but you are unlikely to name a child "Jichael."

If there are two living Gordis around at the same time, one or both of them would probably develop a nickname or perhaps children would have a milk name until they go through their adult milestone ritual where they may earn or choose a new name. E.g. the grandfather is named Gordi and the son is also Gordi, so they might call the grandfather "tall Gordi" or the grandson "red-haired Gordi."

You'd probably want to double dip on names and name a son after a venerated ancestor. A culture like this that explicitly puts men on pedestals might engage in ancestor worship as part of their culture/religion. Since it's a fantasy kitchen sink setting, the spirits of the Dwarven fathers past might literally persist in some way and bless descendants with their names. Perhaps they function as household gods, especially since the dwarves here live entrenched on an island no one is allowed to leave (unless they have travel papers :rolleyes:)

During the time the dwarves were actively fighting halfings, they might have certain exceptional individuals be assigned or associated with war names affiliated with their heroic deeds, like Thorin Oakenshield. There are probably lots of men named "Thorin," so this would let you know which one you were talking about.

Also the practice of sons having to be named a name rhyming with their father's name implies many potential things about their culture, especially one as textually explicitly misogynistic as this one.

What are the rules for naming daughters? Do they just add an A or E to the end of a male name? Are daughters' names forbidden to rhyme with the father's name so they don't "pollute" it by association? Are daughters named after negative things in Dwarven because their society is one-note misogynists? Is it justified in-universe saying that they're named for undesirable things to confuse evil spirits? Did women even have names until recently?

Since Mookie's had a couple of incidental gay parents in Legacy, what happens when there are two dads? Do you name the son after the older partner? Do you alternate? Would a society that explicitly says women are inferior say they have a natural predilection for raising children? Would lesbian couples be allowed to adopt/raise children?

But no, they're members of the Balebeard family because Balebeard is just their last name and is what's on their driver's licenses. So there's no actual reason for these characters to have this naming practice, and since this is Legacy I know none of this is getting engaged with in any kind of meaningful or useful way.

This sort of analysis is why I keep coming back to this thread, it's far more interesting than Mookie's work has ever been!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

FlocksOfMice posted:

I hate that his work has explicit and overt and consistent themes the exact same themes for decades and he is, somehow, so incapable of media literacy that he isnt' even aware of what the themes of his own creations are. I've never felt so poorly for someone before like this? I want to help him. It's like watching someone drown next to a life preserver for years. If you try to help him you'll get dragged under. Never save a drowning person without training.

Frankly, it's amazing and I'm not sure how it even could happen! Still, it's here right in front of my face so I know it does even if it makes no sense whatsoever.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Agent Rush posted:

"It'll be dumber than I can guess" has consistently been true of new Dominic Deegan content since the original. I have since given up on trying to predict Mookie's nonsense, simply letting it wash over me as the inevitable eroding waves it is.

Being right all the time loving sucks, doesn't it? :negative:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
How are the comedy edits telling a more coherent story than whatever this is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

catlord posted:

Well, I can definitely say it was dumber than I expected.

It keeps happening! It's almost impressive how consistently terrible Mookie is, if only there were virtue in being consistently terrible.