Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That's kinda hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Gabe decided one day that instead of drawing anime he wanted to be John Kricfalusi, and this is the result.

Is that what it was? I always figured he wanted to be Stephen Silver (the Kim Possible/Danny Phantom guy) and just missed.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Dabir posted:

Danny Phantom was Bitch Hartman

The show runner, yeah. Lead character designer was Stephen Silver.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

poo poo you can't just turn him into Booga, the love interest Ripper from Tank Girl! There oughta be a law!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

At this point the right thing to do would be to pull back the shot to reveal that the whole landscape is a telescoping plateau made of hundreds of concentric shallow cliffs that Snout just never noticed before.

I warned you about cliffs, bro!!!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Snout is Jar Jar Binks.

Except he fucks

Oh ho ho Jar-Jar fucks. Even got a canonical love interest, Queen Julia of the Bardotta.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

It looks like Snout doesn't have teeth, just a bone implement in his top jaw and a socket for it to slide into in the bottom jaw. Like some sort of ambulatory Dunkleosteus.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

He chose... poorly.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Okay so a few comics back but in my heart of hearts what I wanted from curtain rise at the first jazz club was for it to be Snout up there angrily gesticulating at his deaf patch, judging these assholes for enjoying music when there's deaf people.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Roast Beef are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of meat special with extra meat?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I can't wait to find out jazz lady's name. Which mostly means waiting through the introduction of evil jazz lady, who will call good jazz lady Dimwittica in a journal entry.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Seriously this thread should be turned off on days he didn't post a comic, this poo poo gets weird in here.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I don't have any sympathy for Mookie. That's not actually a requirement to wishing that people in here would quit coming off so creepy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

"I'm stupid."

"Oh, okay, carry on."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I just hope Jordi there maintains the proud dwarf traditions of speaking French and working in that one room where they heat the metal up and shape it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

And it does suck, moderating laws meant to uplift people sucks, but she appears to be doing it SO THEY'LL EVEN PASS, which is probably going to do a lot more than the dwarven women than just throwing in the law and it not getting passed.

His ineptitude keeps blowing my mind

Eh, that depends a lot on her motives. If she amends that thing to "Women of a very specific and exclusive demographic that I can more easily predict and control than a block of just all women" then she's not really even passing anything so much as just using it as a fake olive branch to consolidate her own power. She does say "Really, all women" or something similar, so you know her plan here is to winnow that number down in some way that's invariably going to be beneficial to her specifically.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Zone of Truth is a lovely spell and shouldn't be in 5e in its current form. All it should have done was just give advantage to skill checks when interacting with creatures in the zone. They should have just used the mechanical levers the game is built on instead of creating a perpetual argument for internet nerds.

As it stands, the spell makes people in the zone tell the truth. But that's literally all it does. So some folks tend to interpret that that's it and we're done. But other folks will go into deep discussion of how knowledge of the spell will have propagated through the world already and every villain already has a bunch of planned 5th level mind chess counters to what happens if they get stuck in there, which leads to yet another argument about how common or recognizable specific wizard spells are if you're Thok Helmfucker, Orc Guard. Meanwhile some players occasionally do want it to just work as an exchange of "Expend level 2 slot, get free gather information without any rolls" and some DMs do automatically light up at the chance to do any uncharitable reading of any game rule they possibly can, which results in poor Thok, who until just this moment had never said any word with more syllables than his last name, responding to questioning with like Hannibal Lecter truth puzzles. "oh, you want to know the location of my chieftain? Well, the pines doth bless his present whereabouts whenever the northerlies subside!" or whatever.

Then of course you get the readers who are like "It's just what the spell says, not my fault if you didn't read it right" Well the spell is supposed to fuckin' do something. Narratively and mechanically. It takes resources to learn, memorize, and cast it, and the expectation behind that is that it oughta have some meaningful effect. Turning every random person you cast it on into the Riddler for the spell duration is basically "this spell doesn't do anything" but with extra lovely steps, or worse, an invitation into that kind of adversarial contract-writing gameplay that make the wish spell so loving stupid for forever. All players acting like police interrogators against random kobolds acting like Keyser Soze. So yeah, in summation the spell is horseshit in its current form because it basically exists to cause arguments, but at least it's easy to houserule.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is probably so minor of a nitpick, but he can't keep straight what noses people have. Ragna has a petite round nose in panel 1, a pointier nose in panel 2, and a big round nose in panel 3 that gets squarelike in panel 4.

More egregiously, the servant has a pointy nose in panel 3, and a VERY round nose in panel 4.

Dwarves in prehistory had no means of shaving their very full beards and as a result had a hard time conveying facial expressions. Over time their noses evolved to swell and contract via erectile tissues to indicate their current emotional state and stress level.