Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EARVTH HAS 4 CORNER
SIMULTANEOUS 4-DAY ASINOTAPH WITHIN SINGLE ROTATION.
4 CORNER DAYS PROVES 1
DAY 1 DOMINIC IS TAUGHT EVIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

He makes just over $800 a month on Patreon, so there is some limited justice in this world.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

oriongates posted:

Or Sword Interval, which is by an artist who was around during the 2000s webcomic boom and produces really high quality work but their patreon is still only 332 a month.

Sword Interval is the tits, that's bullshit, Mookie should give them all of his money.

Like PetraCore said, you can write heroic criminals and antiheroes, because sometimes bad things can be done for a greater good, or evil people can try to make amends, but there is no way for a story to reasonably redeem or even worse make a hero out of a rapist. It's like having a heroic animal torturer. There is no other side to that story but base cruelty and selfishness. It's one of the things that keeps me coming back to Dominic Deegan, the occasional hints that there's more than just a hack webcomic artist who refuses to develop or change at work here.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

What would you call the original write-up for the Kender in Dragonlance, where they're said to be wonderful people but the way they write it makes them sound unpleasant and annoying?

Designated Protagonists?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Babe! It's Friday, time for your dick flattening!

R...rock on...

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just noticed Snout is circumcised in that pic when I'm pretty sure he wasn't in earlier strips. That or his dick is a finger.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's like a bar of soap.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

We'll just have to see if Mookie's hackishness outweighs his hatred of women and their manipulative use of Nice Guys like him Snout

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nighthand posted:

Now we get a weeks long pastiche of how mongreltown is a huge slum with no attention drawn to how the protagonists were just scamming these people for book money

You would think that but the two figures in the last panel don't appear to have faces and are obviously scarecrow-like figures set up for some odd tableu

Also the return of thank-you-master-nyaa in panel three.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

evilmiera posted:

What idiot hired the 12 foot minotaur to hand out free samples, he's going to ruin his back bending down to offer up the plate. Guess mongrelmen haven't unionized yet.

He's the server for the other giant customers :colbert:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Dropping a bucket of water on someone is in no way like taking a shower

Have you seen Mookie? That's probably how he does it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I would like to know the last time Mookie had a backlog, where he sat down and planned out or drew a week of strips or so in advance. Because it feels like he sits down and writes whatever he feels like each day and forgets where he was going in earlier strips.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's nice to not even have to think about the audience's entertainment.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mookie does not seem capable of the kind of self-examination more intelligent dog breeds do.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mookie is simply out of ideas, if he started with any. This was a Patreon goal or something, right? Is he beholden to a certain number of strips?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Little Death posted:

It was a patreon goal he missed. Also his partner in star powered stated that Mookie is doing this to try and bolster his income since star power is ending. He's just doing this on inertia now.

Oh dear.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dabir posted:

why the hell would we care about Arudak's back pain, GET TO THE POINT

Mookie is trying to think of one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zerilan posted:

DD though was filled to the loving brim though with protagonists being unintentionally written as emotionally manipulative.

Mookie is not an emotionally healthy person or in emotionally healthy environments.

That or he's rock loving stupid and will clumsily try to designate hero and villain once this is pointed out.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

It's :words:
That's literally it. You're supposed to see the wall of text and go "jesus that's a lot of backstory to their rivalry", but not actually read it.

If people read it they might expect future plot developments to adhere to it and Mookie doesn't like that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mookie is writing this out not for the readers but for himself to try and figure out how to get the plot back on track.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

At this rate I'm expecting the strip to just stop updating forever in a little while. He's completely blocked.

This was a Patreon goal he didn't reach and started anyway because the comic that's been keeping him going for most of this decade is ending. He has nothing else to do except get a real job.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Her right leg is growing out the side of her rear end. If she tries to put pressure on it it'll snap like a twig.

And Snout's ballsack is a bar of soap again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

This can not possibly NOT be intentional on Mookie's part. He has to be thinking "okay how do I make her MORE unlikable and awful?" He has to. There's just no way.

Counterpoint: Heroic Rapist

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Imagine this comic in a world without social media, where all the feedback Mookie gets is a slavering fan forum where dissent is shouted down or even modded out before he can see it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Plus, someone else being a worse abuser does not somehow make The Ink Witch's abusive behavior OK.

No no no, see if these people are in the Bad Guy role then they have to be in the Good Guy role! Why aren't you getting it? I have to make them do some more bad things.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

I wonder, since Snout's the POV character and he's passed out, does this mean he can skip over the potential confrontation between Arudak, Squidward and the newcomers, and they can fill him in later with text so now Mookie doesn't have to draw a combat scene and just has to draw a static bedroom scene?

That is exactly what is going to happen. :sigh:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

arudak will return with a fake moustache

I'd gain some slight respect for Mookie if he put this in seriously and not one of his stupid look-at-reader jokes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pretty much. I can sympathize with having writer's block, it's difficult to sit down and start powering through it, but after almost twenty years you'd think Mookie would understand that his style of improv storytelling leads to situations like this and that a modicum of planning to decide the overall arc of the story would be warranted.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

I just assume all this stuff is from an anime Mookie just watched or directly traced from.

:10bux: on Ghibli

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dotheads is an actual loving slur for Hindu women Mookie you can't use that for fantasy racism

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

rudecyrus posted:

Hydrolax: The natural, soothing laxative.

also, those are the weakest racial slurs I've ever seen

Because Mookie thinks in terms of "What would my bullies say?" instead of dehumanization or anything like that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mister Olympus posted:

mookie is a creature born autochthonous from the primordial ooze of pre-2015 anime fandom, of course he has

Why pre-2015? Mookie is old enough to remember the days when it was called Japanimation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Little Death posted:

I think this is important to grasp because for Mookie, racism is correct. You aren't supposed to hate people for being different, but you are able to fundamentally class people into different categories that are essetiallized to a few core traits that the entire race shares.

He doesn't think in terms of race as much as clique. Jock, preppy, nerd, sluts, and mommygood girls all fit nicely into their roles and don't deviate. The bully remark is especially apt- he can't conceive of bigotry besides whatever teasing he experienced.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TheHan posted:

I think it's an ego thing. He writes what he hates into the villains (dumb jocks who always bully nerds) and god he just can't stand to see them get one over on the heroes. So they've gotta be dumb, incompetent, always one-upped and never winning for too long. This kills the narrative.

He writes like old SatAM cartoons where the villains must be defeated and the status quo restored before the 22 minute mark. Next villain scene, put this on the background and see how well it fits.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Elysiume posted:

gently caress off mookie, either actually support your minority characters in the narrative or you're rubbing shoulders with JKR (but only in the bad ways)

Please let Mookie go psycho radfem in Legacy. It'd make things interesting at least.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Like the Sinfest guy?

Yeah, and ideally it should be as fast and as inexplicable.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So he just metaphorically got bored and wandered away from the main story. I'm actually impressed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pyrotoad posted:

Anyone else getting bad vibes from the girl with alien dreadlocks repeatedly apologising for being 'uppity' because she's just too goshdarn arrogant or am I reading too much into it.

Mookie doesn't see race, he sees the nerds who actually knew things about stuff in High School who always showed him up grovelling before his superior Niceguyism.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'll just say what everyone's already thinking.

Piss Cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alright, who's ready for some loving Eldar?