Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
Can't help but feel that Jacob got the Siegfried treatment. Mookie stumbled into writing a legitimately entertaining and compelling character, realized he was going to outshine the other Deegans, and quickly wrote in that sequence where he attempts to kill his brother. It's so frustrating to read because Jacob's brotherly gross-out gags and dunks on Dominic are probably the only time the comic has ever made me laugh with it.

Mookie should've read the room and made his follow-up comic Jacob Deegan: Necromancer for Pyre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
He uploaded the rest of the week in the usual way already. The last comic of the week had a bit of a twist. It's still not good, but it looks like he might bring it back to the main plot after however many damned pages of senseless wandering.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

TheHan posted:

Honestly I always assumed Mookie didn’t give a poo poo about art or improving and was just concerned with conveying his stories. Like he just enjoys the end product of seeing his visions realized and if he’s gotta trace to get there then it’s fine by him.

But then his writing also sucks after 20 years. This page looks like it was copy pasted wholesale. And yet he somehow hosed up and put Snout’s scales on the wrong side of his arm?

From October 12th:

Hahaha, I just looked ahead at what he's posting later this week. Aside from his grasp of the human figure being increasingly horrible, he actually reuses some more panels from just the past couple of months again.

Stahlgeist fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 1, 2020

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
Seems like folks are generally in favour of posting the rest of the week, so I'll go ahead here.

As I implied a page ago, that second page is straight up lifting panels from his comic on September 23rd:

At least he took the time to flip them around! She punched Snout so hard she gave him a Spider-Man 3 makeover.

Stahlgeist fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 2, 2020

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
It's like the man's never observed the shape of a human arm in his life, which is incredible when there's one in his field of view every time he draws one of these.
He really bungles the torsos, too. At times, there is a complete absence of curvature from the upper to lower back. The panel where Corpse Bride is on Snout's back during the scuffle here really shows this off, she has shoulder blades running straight into her rear end and the overall shape of a pill bug:

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
It'd help if they interacted with the environments they visit in any meaningful way, but that would also require Mookie spending more than a single panel in them. As it is, every prolonged walking trip Snout goes on is just a series of postcards with no context as to why we should give a drat.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
The real reason he changed Jacob's design is he knew there was no way he'd be able to continue drawing the details on his armour or keep the scar over his eye consistent.

The concept designs he posted are always at least a bit more elaborate than the designs he settled on, which range from the most boring plate armour you've ever seen to sweaters and trench coats. What we can say for Legacy is that he attempted to add more asymmetrical detail to his character designs and draws more detailed environments for these characters to endlessly meander through. But as we've seen since, the only human anatomy he's gotten a better grasp on is his own with all the horny drawings. And he has increasingly resorted to tracing his scenery and poses. He hasn't grown as an artist, he's simply become lazy in new ways.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Zereth posted:

Hairy feet, that's a hobbit.

Or whatever they're called in

... what's the name of the planet this is taking place on?

Midvel-Earth.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Mx. posted:

the article writer is using some hilariously judgey language. pretends like it's a dry telling of facts then just quickly has "outdated" in there for the lil push into which side you're meant to root for

Especially funny considering they use the words "newfound unity", implying that the rise of anti-Callanian sentiment happened very quickly after Maltak was revitalized and everything would still be fresh in everyone's minds.

It's an (unintentional) mirror of the people who believe racism ended after the height of the Civil Rights Movement, and how any anti-white sentiment in the present day is uncalled for and based on events that happened "long ago".

Stahlgeist fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 30, 2021

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
Yeah, it immediately conjured Thelonious Monk to mind. I'm sure Mookie thinks it's very clever and obscure.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Beelzebufo posted:

Admittedly this is pretty metal of him, Jacob is still my favourite villain and overall character in this comic. I like that he apparently did this mostly to troll Dominic

Mookie's comedic bits with Jacob tend to be the only ones that actually land. If he had written a comic that followed Jacob taking time between his evil necromancer schemes to troll his self-righteous, uptight seer brother, that would've probably played more to his strengths. His inability to write likable heroes makes Jacob getting one over on them really satisfying.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Beelzebufo posted:

I'm not joking. There's something almost comical about this action on Dominic's part. I'm sure Mookie has the idea that you aren't coddled in college , so he has Dominic researches students and come up with personalized scenarios designed to show them upsetting images, including based on this comic, extreme violent assault. it's such a fuss something to do when you think about it for even a second.

This storyline is quite possibly the most infuriating yet because of how far it goes in fellating Dominic and the other Deegans, but this strip in particular really pisses me off. Beelzebufo's previous post had the strip in which Dominic used Second Sight to determine the aspirations of the students in taking the class, and he knows full well that Garrick wants to join the Royal Guard. He definitely knows that Garrick idolizes Siegfried in particular. And instead of taking Garrick aside and warning him what the Royal Guard have done, or tasking him to research any of the atrocities Siegfried and other knights committed, he specifically has him scry an incident in which Garrick witnesses his personal hero beating his current teacher's face in.
With Dominic's whole lead-in to the scrying session being "unpleasant truths" and the obvious way he set the scrying assignments to specifically disturb his students, I have no idea how a reader is supposed to see Dominic as anything but a narcissistic villain. His idea of paying Prento a high compliment is to compare Prento to himself.

Wolfgang is actually completely right about Dominic's motives in setting the scrying exercise. It was about destroying their existing heroes and elevating himself in their stead. In the prior lesson, Dominic tells them that perspective and context inform what the various peoples of the world consider their truths. But when confronted by Wolfgang, he claims that the assignments he gave them were the "ugly truths and ugly realities". He doesn't contextualize what Garrick saw. He presents them with provocative images that are going to bias his students to his perspective, devoid of the actual background in those situations.

Dominic was always a giant piece of poo poo, and this minor story arc keeps drilling the point home. He gets the title of professor bestowed on him by his mom (Having done nothing to earn it), and immediately begins abusing his position to consolidate the nepotistic circle of power in the institution and goes far enough to creepily objectify one of his students. It's so gross, and Mookie keeps rewarding the character with sexual hijinks and unconditional hero worship of other characters.
I followed some of the original mock threads from a decade ago, but I only got into it probably a couple of arcs after this one, so it still astonishes me that Mookie decided to write a follow-up comic that asks "What was Dominic Deegan's legacy?" when a story arc like this should yield the answer "Sexual harassment charges, jail time, and the remainder of his life spent in poverty".

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
The figure facing them looks like Snout from behind sans tail.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
For some reason, he also alternated between a solid-edged paint tool and a blurred-edged paint tool for adding the dots.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
Check out Snout's right arm when he grabs his hair.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
The leg further from the reader is longer than the one closer and the perspective on it is all sorts of wonky.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
Is that even supposed to be a city on the horizon? It looks like giant Terminators marching shoulder-to-shoulder with guns pointing skywards.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
I've been assured that it'll be fine
When we seek out these siren vines
For me and you, my part-time shover

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
"You mess with Snouty, you mess with Mongreltown!"
"You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!"

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

Samovar posted:

I like how in the first panel they all looks as if they are leaning at a uniform but just slightly off-center angle.

Reminds me of those shots of astronauts in a row you see in movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009