Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I feel like you could legit salvage part of this with having it be revealed that Snout was actually the one writing both sides of that "conversation" with the blank page, due to insanity induced by being this deep in the Weird Magic poo poo That Makes No Sense section of the world.

Of course, this being Mookie, there's no chance whatsoever that could happen, and in fact Snout won't even see anything truly dangerous, unless it's attacking someone else. Also, any bets on how long until he reacts to a threat he hears, because Mookie didn't think his deafness through beyond "all dialog is written"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Real loose definitions of "adult" here.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, wait. He needed this glue to somehow fix the page, but so far as we can tell, it didn't magically fix the page. It's literally just holding the scraps of the interior of the page together. Scraps that were already there, and have been there the whole time. It seemed like this glue was somehow going to magically fill in the missing pieces, but no, it's just regular loving glue.

The pieces were there the whole time. All he had to do was just flatten the page out and move them into place to read it. The glue was pointless. The tree was pointless. Everything is pointless.

Everything is pointless.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So why is exactly is Snout holding out his hand, twisted 90 degrees clockwise, as opposed to palm up?

Is this some new, Wild Edge reverse hand shake?

A sign language thing unique to the Deeganverse?

Yet another sign Mookie is a terrible artist?

the world may never know...

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Sharpie Shaman.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

well gently caress

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That could have almost made the joke work a little if the silhouette had shown what looked like the dude screaming and gesturing angrily, and then we cut to a bottom panel that makes it clear he was just being like "HEY! YOU WANT A FREE SAMPLE? ALSO ARE YOU OK?" and Snout couldn't hear that due to deafness and ran-

you know what nevermind i'm putting way too thought into what could have been a viable joke in a comic about a deaf moron without dialogue when it's done by a loving comedic black hole like mookie

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Calling it now, this whole plot won't be resolved until all three of them are there in the dream world together, each representing a piece of the "Threefold Self" or whatever. They must become a naked throuple, for Deegan commands them not to be so clothes minded.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Invisible Clergy posted:

Rannon Mhorgs? Did I miss a comic?

No.

You missed one of Mookie's old D&D sessions.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

For an instant I thought the label on his shirt said "DECAF" and I chuckled

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also, two things:

One, he could have explained the whole "why does Burke mention that he met a dude that looked like a young Hymn and not think about THAT part" thing with just having Burke assume that dude was Hymn's son. That simple. It should have at least come up as a simple red herring, it was like the first thing you would think of.

Second, Hymn is having the clones audition, right? Why, though? You clearly aren't raising them from childhood, they're grown to prime age right there in the tubes as we can see. They must have their knowledge and such pre-programmed. You should thus also be able to program them with the knowledge of how to sing exactly how he'd like.

I assumed earlier that Hymn was finding people who had the skills to sing the way he wanted, and then genetically altering them to be his clones, possibly brainwashing them, possibly consensual alternations, because they're devoted to him and are willing to do that. It could be an interesting plot, a cult of personality so devoted to this dude that they willingly get turned into him for his choir. Obviously too complicated for Mookie, but like...

This is so loving baby's first writing it hurts.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The Little Death posted:

Just wanted to say that some personal stuff is getting in the way but I will resume my read-through soon.

You are a good Death and I appreciate your efforts. Please take the time you need, Tiny Reaper.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

FlocksOfMice posted:

For 200 years, you have been asking: Who is Dominic Deegan? This is Dominic Deegan speaking. I am the seer who loves his life. I am the seer who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the seer who has deprived you of magic and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing—you who dread books—I am the seer who will now tell you.

You have heard it said that this is an age of souls of storms and wars in hell. You have said it yourself, half in fear, half in hope that the words had no meaning. You have cried that jocks are destroying the world and you have cursed human nature for its unwillingness to practice the magic you demanded. Since magic, to you, consists of fireballs, you have demanded more fireballs at every successive disaster. In the name of a return to morality, you have sacrificed all those infernomancers which you held as the cause of your plight. You have sacrificed justice to racist knights. You have sacrificed reading books to sportsball. You have sacrificed reason to forgiving abusers.

You have destroyed all that which you held to be evil and achieved all that which you held to be good. Why, then, do you shrink in horror from the sight of the world around you? That world is not the product of your sins, it is the product and the image of your magic. It is your magic ideal brought into reality in its full and final perfection. You have fought for it, you have dreamed of it, and you have wished it, and I—I am the seer who has granted you your wish.

Your ideal had an implacable enemy, which your code of magic was designed to destroy with fireballs. I have withdrawn that enemy. I have taken it out of your way and out of your reach with the Asinotaph. I have removed the source of all those magics you were casting one by one. I have ended your battle. I have stopped your motor. I have deprived your world of man’s mind. SEE THE TRUTH.

Men do not live by the mind, you say? I have withdrawn those who do. The mind is impotent, you say? I have withdrawn those whose mind isn’t. There are values higher than the mind, you say? I have withdrawn those for whom there aren’t. In my mind, I am fifty feet tall, have three eyes, and have eye lasers. The eye lasers of my mind are without compare. There are none who can survive my mind's eye lasers.

While you were dragging to your sacrificial altars the men of booklearning, of heavy metal, of DBZ auras, of nerdy jokes, of punmakers—I beat you to it, I reached them first. I told them the nature of the game you were playing and the nature of that magic code of yours, which they had been too innocently generous to grasp. I showed them the way to live by another morality—mine. It is mine that they chose to follow. They SAW THE TRUTH.

All the men who have vanished, the men you bullied in highschool even though I just wanted to play pokemon, yet dreaded to lose, it is I who have taken them away from you. Do not attempt to find us. We do not choose to be found. Do not cry that it is our duty to serve you. We do not recognize such duty. Do not cry that you need us. We do not consider need a claim. Do not cry that you own us. You don’t. Do not beg us to return. We are on strike, we, the men of the mind. Our big, book-filled minds. I've read so many books. God I love books, especially comic books with big tiddies.

:five:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Now all I can imagine would be an actually pretty good joke where Dominic, talking about how all the orcs are ACTUALLY vegetarians, and their tusks and teeth and claws and stuff are only there because Orc Plants are dangerous and violence and alive, but TECHNICALLY not meat, runs into a group of orcs at a feast or something.

Who are all eating the gently caress out of some meat.

Dominic has a fit, because HOW DARE THEY, they're supposed to be VEGANS, they can't eat meat!

With the response being something like "dude, do you have any idea how hard farming is in Maltuk? I had to fight off ten Dandelions to feed my starving children last week! We came here for a visit, and I found out here, they just farm animals! You ever had fist fight a chicken to feed a kid? Here, they're totally docile! It's great! I'm gonna have some steak next!"

then of course, Dominic would shout back "Don't have a cow, man!" and then the next beat panel would be him looking at the audience

This was funnier in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Agent Rush posted:

:allears: Heh, nice.

You know, Dominic Deegan always reminded me of this other webcomic I read, The Last Days of FOXHOUND. It's a fan-comic about what FOXHOUND was doing set a few years before and leading up to Metal Gear Solid. The art is pretty bad and it gets no points for character design because it's a fan-comic, but it was still much better at visually conveying information than either DD or Legacy has ever been. I realize that's not a high bar, but it's something I think about from time to time.

Here's an example:

I always loved how that comic built up to MGS1, got to the beginning, and then the next comic also the penultimate one, was just a time skip to right after MGS1, shots of everyone's corpses, and Liquid's ghost going "that sucked".