Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Beelzebufo posted:

Back to nothing happening.

First, so obviously traced. I mean come on.

Second, I love that Snout appears to just be dramatically posing and looking sad, just waiting for someone to ask what's wrong.

oh good, hes dead.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Happy Landfill posted:

He absolutely looks like he's taking a piss in that first panel with the way he arms are positioned and how his robe is hiked up

With that in mind he could be drunk

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
are we supposed to give a gently caress

also how does he makes snout's tail so consistently unpleasant to look at, tails are not hard to draw

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Howard Beale posted:

Is it possible for Mookie to draw a tower that does not look like a sex toy?

:shrug:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dammerung posted:

I couldn't help myself.

Hes going to turn to the camera and do a dreamworks face

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I suddenly realized (im slow) that snout's snout has been shrinking and he now has about the same side profile as the Human/oid characters in the original Dominic Deegan. Also earlier in the comic mookie was actually drawing him with exaggerated expressions and more emotions than the soft humming of a microwave between his ears

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dabir posted:

Dominic Deegan: What the gently caress I looked at the comic

This one

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

oriongates posted:

The thing on Snout's plate looks disturbingly like his own tail.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Oh good, so its only been 5 chapters of absolutely nothing happening

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I thought it was on a lake with weirdly wavy roads/bridges going to it

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
How can anyone look at the way he draws crotches and think hes a good artist. I was cleaning today and found old naruto OCs I drew when i was 13 that have better grasp on anatomy and dynamic poses than anything in Legacy. Any good posing and anatomy he pulls off is because he traced a photo, but you can see his real skill in how he fills out the clothing, faces, and other features he cant just trace, its bad. Jesus. It doesnt even look like he references how fabric sits on a body he just wings it and it looks gross.

Also that amazing city his character is so impressed by looks like a blueberry tart

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Snout's facial proportions in the 2nd and 4th panels look completely different lmao

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I like that the ship thats making GBS threads them out even has a buttcrack

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
If the plant creatures are sentient that how is that functionally different from eating animals?

Beelzebufo posted:

Again, it's almost impossible to believe he didn't trace this. Maybe it's a composite of several images, but there has to be some image that lines up pretty closely with the foreground.

I hate how they become generic office block buldings in the distance.

Also how the hell does match any of the exterior shots of this city so far? The long shot seemed to show a ton of tightly packed rounded buildings but this is enormously spaced out buildings with combovers

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I dont think mookie gets enough credit for how badly he draws clothes

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

GlyphGryph posted:

Are those more plants on the ceiling?

How is mookie so loving terrible at drawing plants, seriously even the ones outside the other day, the trees, make me want to gag.

Ive noticed this too, the use of some gross scrubby brush to draw absolutely every plant in the laziest way makes them look so...grimy? They just look dirty, and too dark to be plants, but he draws every plant like that

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
for everyone that keeps saying mookie is a good/decent artist...hes been drawing these comics for twenty years and has barely improved at all. Thats not the mark of someone with genuine skill/talent, hes just barely above "dad who can draw stick figures"

I have to kind of admire his perseverance though, if I dont see improvement in my own art over the course of one year I get depressed, to chug through 20 and keep going is some kind of inner strength

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

oriongates posted:

He's improved, rather dramatically, compared to the stuff he produced in early Deegan. Anyone who doesn't see that is among those who're actively searching for things to get mad about, or who hasn't actually bothered to compare Mookie's decent pages with his older work.

And improvement, especially in a cartoony style, does not equal more complexity or even a drastically superior "look" to the comic. If you don't like the art style then you don't like the art style...that doesn't mean the art style is bad. Greater skill equates to greater consistency and fewer mistakes, as well as the ability to push your style more with more advanced perspective, framing and composition, all of which were apparent in the earlier chapters of Legacy compared to Dominic Deegan.

And, let me also say that even if Mookie's art was static the whole "he's been doing it for 20 years!" BS is really loving lame. Like, let's be real...we have the smallest loving window in to Mookie's personal life. You do not know him. You do not know what challenges his life may or may not have brought him. Putting a deadline down and saying "if you haven't met my standards before this time, you're a failure!" is a lovely thing to do to any artist. People's journeys in mastering a skill are different and, frankly, the amount of time it takes is not your loving business.

And that's another reason why I'm continuing this stupid argument: these criticisms have long ago stepped beyond "valid critique or mockery of the work" into "personal attacks on the creator.", which is where things get creepy and hateful.

lol ok, you seem like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Why are you so upset at people saying that Mookie isnt good? I've seen a lot of actual analysis and examples in here on why he isnt good, not just people being mean, and I havent seen anyone creeping on him or trying to get into his personal life. Saying its "creepy" that people are analyzing the art in a PIECE OF ART is weird as hell. People have been looking at the actual flaws in the art, both in the original DD and LoDD, and there is some weird stuff going on that people are speculating about.

I'm not "putting a deadline" on him, I'm just used to seeing artists progress over time. While no, we dont know his personal life, usually when an artist fails to progress much its because they havent been doing art. Whats weird about Mookie is that he has been really consistently producing for 20 years, like no matter what is going on in his life he just keeps doing art, weekly, daily, etc. When someone is so consistently productive its weird to see so little change in a year, let alone 5, 10 or more. Its not about a "deadline" its about normal recognizable patterns. If a writer wrote for 2 decades consistently and you picked up a book and it was full of spelling and grammatical mistakes wouldnt you raise an eyebrow at it?

The complexity thing has nothing to do with Mookie or his art. Even so though he doesnt really match up to your own definition of good skill? Hes super inconsistent in anatomy, scale, and matching his environments page to page, his perspective is a huge mess when he even bothers with it, and hes not really using his art well in a storytelling sense because hes not great with expressions, body language, conveying action, or the passage of time. His lines might be cleaner and poo poo, but I think he was actually doing a better job at conveying stuff when he was doing the original DD. Its extra odd because of how easy a lot of this stuff is to do, especially with the shortcuts he already takes.

Are you saying this is "his style" and it is perfectly refined? Are you saying that he is creating poorly structured pages, muddy confusing environments, uncomfortable poses, and confusing passages on purpose? If he was drawing the same way but using that art to effectively convey his ideas then I would agree that it is just a style, but the fact that almost every time he posts a page theres questions about what exactly is going on, if he intended it to come across the way it does, or even where the characters are says a lot.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I wouldnt even mind mookie using tons of shortcuts if he actually got somewhere with it. Like, if he took video game screenshots and traced them he would be able to get multiple angles of a building's interior/exterior done accurately with proper human scale. It would genuinely provide a better product as long as hes already tracing. I think if your goal is to produce something, and you already dont mind tracing, then might as well? Hes taking lazy shortcuts and then being lazy with those too

Ive never thought mookie was THE WORST terrible artist, I said before hes considerably better than like 80% of "professional" newspaper comic artists, who also draw daily for 40 years and never get better, but I would never call them or him a "good artist" and its weird to me any time someone freaks out over him being called bad/mediocre.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
He does that often; he likes to draw the arms the same length as the torso so they end at the hips/crotch, but instead of just drawing short arms (he does that too) he lengthens out the torso

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Well since to mook "no dialogue" means either no words or enormous dumps of text most of the non-text parts of the comic are just "deaf guy childishly reacts to surroundings" over and over

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Although Terracciano isn't very consistent, he tends to draw Snout with no hips or rear end. The legs are usually too short, and Snout often looks like he's been compressed horizontally: extremely thin, rod-like limbs, small shoulders, etc. (He tends to have childlike proportions (e.g. a big head).)

The fashion design, such as it is, is also quite 'vertical' and emphasizes the torso - especially the baggy, Xtra-Large jockstrap that droops down way lower than his junk should be.

You censored his vagina bones and bell bottoms :mad:

But also drat, he looks miles better with just slight proportional adjustments

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Happy Landfill posted:

I just really, really hate the prominent crotch

Yeah, you know, I think I could forgive a lot of his artistic sins if he just didnt draw crotches like that

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I think I missed something, IDK who this new person is or how/why they know what Snout wants/likes so well that they're comfortable just walking up and jamming a book into his hands

are they the same person as here?

Its not beard-orc who came with them (i think), where is Ink Witch and why isnt she the one that knowingly puts stuff into Snout's hands? Shes been with him the longest time, shes the most likely to know what hes into/looking for.

Fister Roboto posted:

I have no idea what the cover of that book is supposed to be so I'm just going to assume it's a cum stain.

That seems obvious

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

SupSuper posted:

Daxethar and Veth are these two:

all these characters just kind of flow together when no one talks and nothing happens

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
To be fair to people back then (lol) The stonewater thing wasnt...that out of the ordinary for webmedia at the time was it? I remember being a girl online back then it was sort of hard to find any webcomics that appealed to me because they were a bit dominated by the 2000s gamer boy demographic so the market was pretty saturated in sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. Not defending mookie for doing it, but I can see how readers may not be that shocked by it considering the "market"

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok I just looked back at the Keenspot forums for 1/25/2006 (the infamous strip), and... You don't need to be fair to them. The responses of the people in the forum are absolutely disgusting. Everyone thinks Stonewater is blameless. Some were actually making jokes about how long orcs last in bed. Virtually none were calling out Mookie for crafting such a bizarre, exploitative scenario all for the purposes of making a "heroic rapist". I think maybe the negative reaction came later after others processed the story alongside the constant backdrop of monkeycheese garbage.

Oh well thats gross, I figured by "not calling him out" it was more indifference, which I could understand given the way media was then, than actually enjoying that storyline or agreeing with it. Early-mid 2000s online media spaces felt like an absolute hellscape if you werent a SWM

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Lmaoing at some of the old edits in the thread but also wowza Snout looks like a completely different guy. His body has gotten much hairier and lumpier, while his face has gotten more "cute". Interesting trade off.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

loving transcendent

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Desk lady is a mannequin

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait wait wait

You're looking for Dominic Deegan, right? And you see a poem authored by a "J. Deegan" and some other guy.

And you look up books written by THE OTHER GUY? Why?

I'm still bewildered by this, it really feels like Mookie forgot what the comic was about

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also I hate his shoulder boils more and more every day. Snout is such a loving gross character design, the only part of him that's marginally acceptable is his face. Why everyone wants to sexually assault cuddle him is a mystery.

When I went back and looked at earlier parts of the comic the shoulder boils were much smaller, more like freckles or little round scales, so I have to assume them growing means they're going to burst eventually

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Do you think he even asked if they had books about Dominic?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Wow, even obstacles he/we dont even know about get overcome in seconds with 0 effort. Is there ever going to be conflict in this story that Snout himself has to expend effort to overcome or is it just going to be "oh someone else already took care of this for you have fun"

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Robot Style posted:

No dialogue in this comic.

Did you post a new page or something? My eyes just keep sliding to the task bar

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Listen it takes a lot of time to establish just how boring and pointless snout is

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Loving the contrast between this and the Kirkewood comic in the byob webcomic

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Why does he insist on drawing snouts tail with those gross folds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU