Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

TheHan posted:

If on Friday you thought "drat, I really hope he isn't about to throw a bunch of words at us to recap what we just saw." Well...

I like that Snout suddenly has a gut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

His tail is coming out of his lower back. You suck so much mookie.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Why would he stop and stare at the back of the sign in the last panel. ugh

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Poking the letters made them explode but the tree can withstand two people leaning against it. Consistency!

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

In literally any other comic, the ink witch is absolutely being set up to be the actual villain. She had a freaky ship, she cozied up to Snout suuuuper fast, her reasons Arudak is bad are vague...

But it's mookie, so it's not gonna happen.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

This wouldn't be nearly so bad if it was updated daily like Mookie said it would be.

Agreed. If this poo poo was five days a week it would churn through these empty strips a lot faster. This three a week schedule is a huge factor in how bad this comic is if you were to rank in some sort of all-time list or whatever. Cause I gotta tell ya, it's getting up there.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Jayden went to the Desert of Eldariat-To-Die because she cheated on Milov with Siggy.

Also Jayden Milov, and Siggy were originally the other player characters from the game Mookie got kicked out of because he was too annoying about his own character (Dominic, obviously). Since he got kicked out, he wrote his own stories for them.

This is something Mookie says himself in a blog post, by the way. Not an exaggeration at all.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

So Wednesday is Snout staring at the cabin or something

Friday is a journal entry

Behold, the anti-comic

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Storm of Souls is probably the high point of the comic, low of a bar as that is. It'll be all downhill after it's over.

Even back as a dumb teen reading and enjoying DD I remember thinking "wait, after this epic save the world story, how will the comic keep going?" Turns out, poorly!

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Invisible Clergy posted:

I remembered most of Ecstasy and Evil due to the blatant racism and misogyny, but did forget about Mominic, Popinic, and Karnak's involvement. I remember only the wifebeating from Hello Nurse, so anything else will be a surprise.

"You call that an abuser? This is an abuser!"

Me too!

I feel like at times he really takes advantage of it. The limited color palette and crude art makes the extremely graphic violence a lot more unpredictable, which he definitely steers into.

The wifebeating comes up way after Hello Nurse(which can't really be called an arc, it's just a lovely set of strips about JOCKS) and only serves to uplift the beater in question cause he's really, really sorry he did it

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

TheHan posted:

Now I'm wondering, do Dominic and Luna ever...have an argument? Or a disagreement? or even differing opinions? Their relationship seems so completely devoid of conflict in a weird way, they're always on the same wavelength and have all the same preferences. I'm not saying writing a relationship that's healthy into your story is bad, but even healthy relationships have disagreements on something.

Like even Dominic's argument with his mom ended with him going "Yes, I understand. I am wrong here" He was, but it would've been interesting if he didn't think he was. It'd add a new dynamic to the hero's party, with Dominic being unwilling to work with some of his allies due to his own prejudices. Instead he totally agrees and their conflict is forgotten, because Mookie thinks Dominic was bad there so everyone knows he was being bad, including Dominic.

I don't remember what it's about but I do remember them having a somewhat serious fight at some point.

Domininc fixes it by proposing, immediately ending the fight and turning all thoughts to planning the wedding and joyously telling everyone the good news.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

There's a point later in the comic where he was going to kill off Luna but decided it would be too dark.

not to mention a different character getting very, very set up to die only for Mookie to change his mind at the last minute because "the world is too sad"

why do I remember that, ugh

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

Was there something real-world that prompted that?

I think, but I can't remember for sure. I just remember the daily under-the-comic post saying that line and rolling my eyes.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

The maid, who grabbed me by the tail, was nice

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Invisible Clergy posted:

Today's update is hardly unique in this regard, but if a diary is going to be the framing device for Snout's thoughts, then the stuff we se from the diary ought to be restricted to the kinds of things one would write in a diary. Mookie used to be reasonably consistent about this as recently as about six months ago, but like latter-day Garfield strips, he is gradually wearing away the rules. The alleged diary entries now only work as something he's saying writing right at that moment. If that's what Mookie wants, why not just give Snout a slate and chalk on a string or a magic etch-a-sketch? One of his allies is an ink witch and the other a paper wizard. Surely it's within their power to create such a thing. Ah, crap. I think I figured out the next thing Mookie's going to do to continue writing the comic with "no dialogue."

In addition to this, I strongly dislike this one-off instance of anime/manga shorthand with the closely grouped parallel black lines like rain to signify anger/mortification/fear. Not because I have any problem with weeb poo poo, but because when you see this visual shorthand used straight in a panel in a Junji Ito comic when the protagonist sees someone turn into something or humorously in Azumanga Daioh when one of the girls drops her rice ball, you're in a certain mindset ready to receive this visual metaphor. Legacy, despite its roots in z-grade anime, like the original Deegan, does not employ any of these examples of visual shorthand or if it does, it doesn't do so consistently, so when one crops up, it's just really weird. It'd be like if you were reading a Superman comic and Lois said something withering to him, then he had a single, softball sized pearl of sweat materialize on the nape of his neck. It'd be weird as hell and divorced from the normal context you encounter it in, even if you the reader are familiar with the trope, it wouldn't hit the same way.

In short, I hate this comic.

Or just put it in past tense. Boom, now it's Snout's book that someone else is reading.

Also corpselady kept them up so we can infantize her some more.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Because arudak and inky don't see snout as an equal. He's their idiot friend who's just so adorable and gosh, what a champ!

Ink witch clutching Snout's shoulders AGAIN in the latest strip is definite mom vibes. Also, what's corpsemomdaughter doing now? Finally sleeping soundly, wandering the tower unsupervised,...?

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

I hate that Snout's tail wags. It's so very weird and a good example of a lot of the things wrong with this comic.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Laughed out loud at the bottom splash of snout. What a bizarre image to end the page on.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So Snout's platonic (?) relationship with a necromanic zombie he met less than a week (?) ago reminds Arudak of his dead wife

uh, ok

Why? Is it because she is also dead?

Also who is Snout's actual romantic love interest supposed to be? Ink Witch or Corpsemommy? The comic keeps vacillating between the two. Again, it could be interesting to depict a poly relationship, but Mookie hasn't indicated that's what he's going for. In fact I can't tell at all what he's going for.

Also also, I'm still flabbergasted that Snout has 2 nice new outfits, one of which already has his treasured "HELO I AM BROKEN" patch, and yet he's going back to his lovely, smelly overalls. At least Corposemommy is FINALLY dressed this time.

Also also also, what the gently caress was the point of Snout's "clearing his head" montage? He didn't actually DO any introspection. He just kind of went for a walk and when he came back people were nice to him and had ejected the bad man from the story for being slightly rude to him.

Hilariously the moping in the countryside would have the PERFECT moment to write in his journal

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

TheHan posted:

But what is there for him to recap?

Oh nothing of course, I'm just saying being alone in nature is a lot more appropriate a time than that moment with the dinner where he wrote in it both immediately before and after the meal.

A mopey paragraph followed by Snout looking up at the stars would have at least made sense!

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

A random thought just occured to me- mookie wants to make a video game, or a tabletop setting, and is just doing it in a completely different medium. Strips like this are the stray lore book you find in someones house in the second town.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Bismuth posted:

Wow, even obstacles he/we dont even know about get overcome in seconds with 0 effort. Is there ever going to be conflict in this story that Snout himself has to expend effort to overcome or is it just going to be "oh someone else already took care of this for you have fun"

He kinda sorta maybe if you squint had to do stuff to get the pages back

You know, back when the comic had a semblance of forward momentum

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

I love this comic so much

It is so, so bad

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Hostile V posted:

Anyway, wheel-spinning in case you didn't get the symbolism/metaphors/text.

The idea that the gibberish word salad in the book is more of a ritual chant to help you lucid dream is kind of an interesting one

I know that's not quite what Mookie means here, though

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I get this icky feeling from how often we're shown Snout stuffing his face. It bothers me that we haven't seen him NOT like anything, but he's always doubtful that he'll like what he's being offered at first. And it just smacks of praising a toddler for trying new foods

Anytime Snouts behaves like an animal or a child I get super uncomfortable

Especially when DEAF is front and center

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Can't wait for Jayden 2: Desert to Die Harder

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Mookie's choices of Snout's poses and body language remains one of the worst things about this comic. He's not a child, dude.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

are you loving KIDDING ME

YOU JUST SAW HER THREE PAGES AGO

Hahahahaha*cough cough*hahahaha

Come ON

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

That is some prophetic poo poo right there, nice one Nighthand

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

He's also not going to bother to ask what her name is.

Mookie will make this a running gag, to his own delight.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hmm. Maybe he should seek the chandak?

No, now its time to go to the library

that or emotional time with either Inky or Kaianda

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

You can feel Mookie's satisfaction with this page. Monday update is a journal entry: "Whatever may come next, my friends and I will face it together." If he didn't suck, it would be at the bottom of this page or something like that, but he'll never pass up the chance for a filler page.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

For a split second I thought Snout was actually doing something, but nope, dumb luck once again.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

You used the wrong device, Legacy would be a Tiger handheld at best

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

I feel my neurons just... Shrugging at this. Just looking at each other in absolute befuddlement.

It's like I'm going insane; just a fascinating read. I want to show Legacy to one of those react channels just to see how incensed they get.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Snout status: still naked

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

controversially, i think blog posts should be off limits for the thread before it crosses the webddog threshold, as people are already declaring their hatred for the man for having the wrong opinions on search algorithms and board games

I think the blog posts are fair game to talk about since they're posted on the comic site directly, but I also agree that people could stand to be less incensed at every thing Mookie says. There's observations to be made on these, like how he just blabbed for four paragraphs about his narrow taste on board games without providing a single example of what fits the bill, but people have got to be more chill about it.

I do think Twitter should be a no-go, with the exception of those times where his tweet about an update provides context. Digging around his follows and whatnot definitely drifts towards webdogging; just don't hunt for content and don't let yourselves get too angry and we should be fine.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

AAAAAAAHHHHHH

I hate it, awesome

Edit: Snout status: naked

Baller Ina fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 10, 2023

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Kinda just realized if the comic was framed as Snout telling this story after it happened the no dialogue would work a lot better. Of course, that involves phrases like "I was so naive back then" or even "I had no idea what I was about to find" which requires planning ahead, so RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Better Comic Moment: someone confronting Arudak and pointing out that the picture he sadly stares at is from a time farther gone than Kazya is. He misses the person she was in the photo, not the person she would be revived as, adding another layer of selfishness to his goals. Unless he just wants to resurrect her out of guilt and wouldn't be a part of her life once she was back, but I don't think that's really been conveyed.