Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

Understandable, and it seems like the kind of thing Mookie would do, but no, Stunt and Bumper were never romantically involved. Bumper was killed off, I believe during the Erossus arc, and I think Stunt was the one to avenge him by killing one of Luna's garbage sisters. He then helped Siegfried's ex (Jayna? something like that) find a Luanan relic and I think that was pretty much his last involvement in the comic. Szark (who is gay) was the only textually non-hetero named character in the comic aside from Celesto, but after the Erossus storyline he's never romantically paired with anyone else, so it's moot.

Nah, Bumper got killed off by the Infernomancer or the Maestro, one of 'em, when they were corrupted by the Beast. He got his hands cut off and joined the ministry of silly walks and then he died.

I think Bumper was the only named character death on the heroes side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Roleplaying Larry posted:

After Star Power, someone should start posting classic Deegan from the beginning.

I agree, I'm still sad I missed all the livestreams of people reading the old comics and getting progressively madder.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wait, all of his self-inserts are heavy metal rockers, but he hates rebels?

What

Reminder that Paul Ryan, who was picked to be Mitt Romney's running mate in 2012, decided his favourite band was Rage Against The Machine.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

Remember Nimmel? How he was a shy outcast just like Dominic and such an uWu nerd bean? Then he transferred to the werewolf school where he knew his powers would make him the alpha and suddenly it’s “Bow before me inferior races”. Dominic will judge a woman for having big breasts but the man (and Mookie) is all about big breasts. poo poo Danica went from “Could never even hurt a robot, pure nerd astronomer” to “I’mma maim your whole family for fun” in record time.

John Berger, Ways of Seeing posted:

You painted a naked woman because you enjoyed looking at her, put a mirror in her hand and you called the painting “Vanity,” thus morally condemning the woman whose nakedness you had depicted for your own pleasure.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, the stakes if DD had stayed roughly along that initial trajectory would have been really low, but... that wouldn’t have necessarily been a bad thing? Say he acts like a grump because he went off to wizard college with high hopes of being a mover and shaker with his scrying power, but he only gets people like Siegfried with major destinies once every few months at best, and the rest of the time is him doing stuff that’s way below his paygrade. Heck, maybe even include some gag where he has a sign out front where the very first rule is something like “DO NOT EVER ASK ME FOR THIS WEEK’S LOTTERY NUMBERS”?

There could've also easily been room for softer one-off character comics too for character building because the appeal of 'here's this jackass, watch him suffer' only lasts so long. Like Sterling Archer, for example, is an rear end in a top hat, but even he gets the odd moment of genuine emotional connection with people as the series goes by.

I was gonna type out an example sad story about a forgetful old widow or a jock who's really asking if he has any future at all when he asks about winning the big game but then I got distracted by the new update, specifically the second panel, and even more specifically the melting noodle man's upper lip.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
For a second I wondered if Mookie might make it so that Snout is the 'mongrel friend' and the vines/whoever's writing has been improvising this text the entire time since they figured out he wasn't listening and tried to lure him into a trap using some convenient corpses.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Wow, letting other characters do the killing so Dominic keeps his hands metaphorically clean started even earlier than I thought.

Also this might be the least sexualized murder of a woman he's ever done.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The Little Death posted:

I feel like a lot of people forget how terrible the next arc of the comic is. I stand by my "Luna was the worst things to happen to fiction ever" statement.

Blaming everything bad on the actions of one woman feels appropriate for Dominic Deegan.

(:v:)

Although having said that I genuinely have seen worse than Luna, at least at this point in the story and pretending I don't know what's coming. As dumb as the specific details around her backstory are, a character who grew up tormented and abused by pretty much her entire family her whole childhood (and let's not forget there are some lovely parents out there who've done worse IRL) is probably not going to have the best self esteem in the world fresh off the chain. It'd be weirder if she instantly moved on with her life with no signs of trauma whatsoever, which actually is different to Mookie's usual schtick of how we just need to get rid of the one bad person that's ruining everything and everything will be fine.

Having said that however, like always Luna's trauma isn't actually about Luna, it's all about how Dominic responds to it. Specifically what a good and nice and caring person he is putting up with her annoying weeping and general hysteria. Ain't he just the best?

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 27, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
You should also stick to the sub for both FMA and FMA:B because Edward's dub VA is legally a piece of poo poo.

Also watch both, the quality might vary wildly but the different character interpretations are fun to notice. IIRC they took a minor filler character from FMA and transferred them into FMA:B because they ended up really popular.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Mushishi is very good, the soundtrack especially. I should really watch the second season, the first one was mesmerising.

But also man that went to poo poo so fast after my post where I almost kinda sorted defended Luna :allears:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

Mookie as usual telling on himself by jamming the word "consensual" in there. There's no such thing as nonconsensual sex, Mookie. That's called "rape," and is apparently according to the strictures of his alignment, perfectly at home in an all ages comic, while sex is not. Never change.

Is there rape poo poo specifically linked to classical depictions of satyrs and nymphs and that's why he felt the need to specify the sex wouldn't be rape?

And then, assuming that is the case, why pick the mythical creatures specifically linked to rape at all, even if his own depiction explicitly won't be? What is his fascination with redeeming rapists?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
IIRC Warcraft's demon hunters 'see' by tracking fel energy which makes marginally more sense than 'just because', like sort of an echolocation thing. Although the playable ones see just fine.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 30, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

I know line of sight edits are the lowest of the hanging fruit but come on.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

catlord posted:

You know, there could have been a fun little The Yattering and Jack type story here where the evil vine things are trying to corrupt and tempt a completely oblivious Snout and get more and more frustrated as he just goes about his... whatever he's doing. Of course, that'd require a good sense of dark comedy and timing, and I've not really seen any evidence of either.

I thought the same thing with Dave and the Beast back in the day. Eldritch beasts can be funny too, and there's no shortage of good Dave material.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I love how the 'fairy princess' dryad is automatically flaky because she's pretty despite not showing a single flaky quality. She can't possibly have a warm heart or a brilliant mind too, because Dominic knew everything he ever needed to know about her from watching her bleed out!

I suppose if he starts off by pushing another woman down first, he doesn't have to put as much effort into making Luna feel superior to her, which as everyone knows is the most important quality for a Deegan.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Mookie's insistence that his wankbait is actually super cool and meaningful has strong Hideo Kojima 'no there's a REASON Quiet has a bikini, miniskirt and ripped fishnets in a warzone and anyone mad about it will feel like big stupidheads when the story reveals it!!!' energy.

Semi-relevant.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
So he uses the imagery of a bunch of people hanging from a tree twice then, first here and then with the Siggy 'reveal' when he killed a bunch of orcs for his dad as a kid looking for his approval.

I have no idea how/if it comes back later but in a story that at least has a bit of planning, maybe Jayden and Milov relaying that particular detail of the vision to Siegfried would explain his refusal to go - his upbringing caused him to violently repress everything in him that knew what he did was horrific and wrong and he's subconsciously terrified to expose that part of himself by visiting a similar scene, especially with his friends nearby.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 6, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I know, that's why I said a 'bit of planning' :v: Like a single panel of Siegfried having an in-universe out-of-character moment at the sight of the tree, or even just pausing to stare at it, could've done the trick.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Does he gain 'inflate in case of danger' style cleavage in the third panel? :psyduck:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I like how Siegfried is consistently drawn at least a head above almost everyone else around him. It feeds into his image of being an imposing brute, but also lends itself well to the classic imagery of a gentle giant when he's being a decent guy. A simple design element but used to great effect! What a good character design! :unsmith:

(:smith:)

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Heliotrope posted:

This apparently happened to several other communities that used to be fans of Dominic Deegan like the Livejournal one. They all went from liking it to hating it, which makes me wonder where the people who actually unironically like Mookie's work talk.

The search results for Dominic Deegan on tumblr looks fairly substantial with an even split of people who like it and people who don't, although when you actually look up the tag the last update was 79 days ago. So it's not a community by any stretch, but there's legit fans out there still.

I feel like there's different levels of unironically liking Dominic Deegan - you have people who unironically enjoy it and think it's flawless and people who unironically enjoy it despite/because its flaws. The views of the former would be the most interesting to see, I think.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The Little Death posted:

Like look at this cold open. Out of nowhere, suddely in hell, greated by some sort of bad Dracula reject from Castlevania.

he is in fact Lord Karnak, the demon of Wounds, patron of the infernomance.

With these two comics by themselves, IMO we have the bare bones of a potentially okay character. He's a demon, but he sees the desecrated corpses of his fellow demons and is saddened, almost mourning them. He has two companions at his side, who share his feelings (I'm interpreting one as clenching her fist, while the other kneels in respect for the dead or is perhaps checking for some sign of life) and follow his orders without question, or intimidation, so there's a power hierarchy they are content to follow - the opposite of chaos typically associated with demons.

This isn't a guy who sees death and destruction and thinks 'more of this please', this guy has a job to do and this time he has failed not only his fellow demons, but us too, because the only target that can possibly matter for a demon artefact is the living world above. The 'Noble Demon' is a cliche for a reason, but it's one people find compelling. He is a bad guy, but he's not a bad guy.

And then I remember this is Dominic Deegan and he only has one kind of bad guy.

(Even then, the concept of a 'Y of X' with his particular X being wounds isn't terrible - there's quite a bit of room to play around there. Perhaps surgeons consider him a guide for their scalpel as they deliberately cause wounds to save lives. Given this is a medieval society, maybe bloodletting or trepanning is practised ritually by his cultists. A little kid steals a kitchen knife to play at being a swordsman and ends up hurting themselves and never does that again. If you're attacking the guy who hurt your best friend, gently caress yeah you want every hit to hurt as much as possible - but on the flipside, his own best friend's attacks hurt just as much too, because she wants to protect him from you and your friend started the fight. They're all part of his domain, whether people realise it or not.

Speaking of surgeons, wounds and healing are inextricably linked. So, while the knowledge of him is kept underground because the populace at large fears and distrusts demons, the greater your skill as a healer the closer you come to understanding that this wretched demon and the kinder divine being you've been praying to this whole time for healing are coworkers with a silly rivalry rather than dire enemies.)

that was way too many words, i have become the deegan

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

I think if I had to pick a single character, Szark is most similar to Touga from "revolutionary girl utena," who is also a bishie swordsman who fights with a finesse-based weapon.

Seconding that Touga guess, if only to point out that if it is Touga that Szark is based off of then he has either only watched the first couple episodes, or severely misunderstood Touga, and I genuinely hope it's the former because if Szark was his interpretation of Touga's character after watching the whole series then :stonk:

For anyone wondering - As you get futher into the series, it becomes more obvious that Touga is a victim of a serial groomer and sexual predator. Because he's seemingly confident and suave, he "consents" for the illusion of power and control and other "benefits" the relationship brings him, and even mimics the abuser's tactics on other people, people often forget/don't notice/choose to ignore it because 'lol hot guys, bara trio'. Or, they do acknowledge it but don't feel too sympathetic because of the mimicking part.

His backstory also has him being groomed and abused from childhood onwards by his adoptive father. While the backstory only gets explicitly shown in the movie, there's implications in the series and would have been part of the show but it got cut for time, IIRC anyway.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

It's another mask of flaw scrubbing. It isn't a big deal that Luna lost her father

Which is a shame, because it could've been. Could've had an arc where she remembers Lady Travoria protecting her from the worst of her father until she murdered him, throwing her into a spiral of not knowing if she hates her mother as much as she thought she did/"OMG sometimes the bad person did good? Am I the bad for ignoring the good?". IIRC there's no moments where her mother outwardly indicates that she despises Luna until the reveal that she wants her dead, and Luna was shocked to discover her mother hated her because her childhood, for the most part, wasn't the absolute shittiest. So for her to say her dad was an awful person without hesitation, that means he was the obvious abuser in her past, but also that he wasn't around for long.

Like... maybe a long time ago, before Luna visits the alterist maybe, we see her mother shutting the front door on her drunk husband after lying about Luna being out with friends, so he and his rowdy friends yelling outside can find 'their little freak' and give her some real birthday punches. She waits for him and his friends to stumble far away from the house for round two of their epic pub crawl, one that should end with them asleep in a gutter or a jail cell for being public nuisances instead of coming home.

Once the coast is clear she knocks on the door to the wardrobe she'd hidden her daughter in so she can come out, and lets Luna sleep in her bed with her that night. She starts mentally preparing the final stage of her get-rich-quick plan sooner than she'd expected and doesn't sleep a wink. She pretends not to notice Luna's obvious distress at the shadows under her eyes the next morning and even now Luna honestly can't tell if she was trying to make Luna feel better ('It's not your fault, I'm not worried so don't you be worried either'), or worse ('You and I both know whose fault this is, but of course I'm not going to blame YOU or anything...').

The arc for Luna would end with her realising that a few good memories of her mother, or singular instances of her mother doing her job as a parent, don't mean that she wasn't abused THAT badly or that her mother wasn't despicable for how she treated her. Some tiny piece of her mother may have even genuinely loved her! But the rest of her sure didn't. She can mourn the glimpses of the mother she deserved to have, that Lady Travoria could have been but chose not to be, without brushing aside or minimising all the suffering Luna went through because of her.

But anyway enough effortposting about the story we could have had, because the one we've got is racist poo poo!

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 14, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
After narrowly escaping an eldritch hell-house with my life and this battered tormented body, I set them down on the grass. In their last moments of consciousness, they give me a single flower. Then their body crumbles away, vanishing into the wind as if they never existed. What am I feeling in this moment?

8^b

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I can see the thought process. "Huh, lots of anime has the parents be dead or useless. I'm going to make them alive and helpful to subvert expectations!"

But, as almost every story that subverts expectations solely for the sake of subverting them does, he fails to deliver on why the subversion matters, or having any sort of commentary at all to make it meaningful or enjoyable. His parents are just extensions of Dominic, 'I win' buttons with legs, and a way to passive-aggressively poo poo on his inlaws later.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Oh no what if she's going to be even creepier and skeevier than Ink girl so he can be like 'see see, she's not an abuser, THIS is an abuser!'

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Her shading reads to me as black, or at least the way Mookie draws people as black. Maybe, I could be wrong, it's possible my eyes keep misinterpreting her scars as that.

The hair does give off the impression of being a more natural-ish texture than anyone else we've seen, I can see it too.

That being said I kind of don't want her to be too, just because of how much horrific poo poo has happened to her - it would be peak Mookie to introduce a black female character to the comic as a tortured naked corpse. Plus the whole 'soul of a guy who was probably white' thing.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
God those colours are all so garish. It really shows up how lovely all the costumes are too. Cheap and easy to cosplay, if nothing else, so maybe that could be a factor in how popular it was at cons.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Predators and abusers have learned pretty quickly that in some communities, especially online ones with a younger user base, using the right words lets you waltz in and get yourself into a position of trust as the supposed ideal example within a community. They also get a bonus little crowd of friends desperate for their approval, who'll either never believe accusations, or would minimise/victim-blame anything that came out.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

I'm quoting one of the earliest appearances of Snout because his hair seemed excessively... I guess bishonen this update, and it made me want to see how much Snout's changed. Anyway not to compliment Snout Prime but he's somehow actually downgraded from a vaguely unpleasant but also actually bestial looking mutant with a lion's jawline and a nose and mouth to match, a piglike wrinkling snout complete with slight jowls, matted down hair and an unsettling inhuman stare to an anime catboy, complete with delicately feathered hair and slightly shimmery eyes.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

I think if Mookie was editing his tvtropes page it wouldn't say things like this:

but then...I can't see anyone besides Mookie seeing a theme in Dominic Deegan. So who knows!

The character page entry for Siegfried feels very Mookie in tone though, it's falling over itself talking about what a bad evil guy he is.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
If I wanted to be optimistic, the ink consuming and almost completely covering Snout while dragging him down is not meant to be seen in a positive light. It could be him realising that what the Ink Witch did was wrong and him letting it go before was a reflection of how blinded he was. Away from her influence and long into the role reversal of him leading the (somewhat) helpless Zombie around looking for the plot while she relies on him for protection has him questioning the Ink Witch's behaviour towards him, because he never thought to do to Zombie what the Ink Witch did to him.

However, Mookie does have some prior form for abuse victims forgiving their abusers so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gearing up for a 'the ink witch WAS bad but Snout's just so good and pure that he forgives her anyway' thing.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
If the eye wasn't a literal rhombus it'd be pretty good honestly. Like not what I'd expect from someone who's been an artist for a decade, but still good.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

I'm going for the long, long bet. When Snout re-encounters Evil Ink Witch and Evil Bald Guy (years from now), he'll do his dumb dog routine and get slapped around some more by the bald guy. Then, because Snout's grating stupidity and bland kindness made the Corpse Wife go all doki doki for him, she'll rage out and murder the bald guy in the most needlessly gory way possible. That'll be the culmination of the entire Evil Ink Witch and Evil Bald Guy arc.

Side bet, she also kills the Evil Ink Witch in a blatantly sexual way. Let's say...strangled by the red vines.

The Silent Hill movie villain's death but with vines is my guess. lovely gore and gross sexual murder on the big screen!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Regalingualius posted:

Two of his biggest employers, Funimation and Rooster Teeth, launched internal investigations of their own, and based on what they found, they publicly announced that they were severing all ties with him and recasting him as needed.

Related, Rooster Teeth very recently had one of their core Achievement Hunter members - Ryan Haywood - be very credibly accused of abusing multiple teenage fans too and he was subsequently booted out entirely, so I wonder if them kicking out Vic so definitively helped those fans come forward. One of a few public statements on the matter, transcribed in the comment section.

But that has nothing to do with Dominic Deegan or Mookie, I hope!

Anyway is anyone else just :allears: at our sensitive male protagonist explaining to the ignorant woman how to open the yoni fruit?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The Little Death posted:

That's right, magical electric guitars! Though actually, they're normal electric guitars that are going to be powered by a thunder wizard. When that is introduced it's treated as a novel idea, so one wonders what the point of these things was before now. I know everyone here understands that me complaining about this is in saying that I need perfect realism in stories, or that things can't be anachronistic or tongue-in-cheek. But I just love introducing these things out of nowhere with a pun, that's not even a pun, and treating it is okay that this is the plot with no further explanation. Also Greg you're supposed rebel against your parents when you start a band in your teens. Playing guitar with your dad? Lame, especially his since he seems better at it than you. Seriously is Greg doing a power cord on an acoustic guitar? because that's what it looks like

This feels like where his cribbing of the World of Warcraft universe as opposed to pure DND starts to really show up - much like Deegan, it has an anachronistic mish-mash of traditional fantasy trappings (elves, dragons, orcs etc), space aliens (also orcs, the draenei, demons), fantasy robots (gnomes, goblins, titans), a dash of DND-Lovecraft (the Old Gods) and modern references ("y'all love Indiana Jones right?") with both high and low stakes storytelling (with varying degrees of success). There's even two different genres of rock concerts in-game.

What date was this comic published? Because if it was around mid 2003 or later, then it's a pretty safe bet to blame Warcraft 3's end credits for everything about the power of rock music in Deegan.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm not surprised Mookie completely failed to make a seer character not poo poo to be honest, they're hard to keep relevant while not sucking all the tension out of the setting. I think I've only seen one seer character that wasn't OP as hell.