Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Fister Roboto posted:

There's an inkling of a decent story about incrementalism and token representation, and how women who get ahead in a patriarchal society end up doing more to reinforce the patriarchy than challenge it, but I would be shocked if that was the story he was trying to tell.

Could be an attempt at the glass cliff too, depends on the current state of dwarf society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Are we heading for a storyline where the misogyny simply internalised since sexist laws not being in place anymore doesn't mean the trauma it caused vanished too or that sexist attitudes still don't persist and Ragna is just a convenient outlet for everyone's frustrations, or is it about to be revealed that Ragna's powers are sourced from drowning puppies or something and they all know it but don't do anything about it, so the protagonist needs to replace the Bad Woman with a Good Woman doing the exact same thing but with everyone's approval because she's not a Bad Woman?

Either way I love that in this story about women's oppression and sexism in society the male cop dwarf gets to roll his eyes at a female dwarf going off on an emotionally charged rant entirely unchallenged.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 17, 2024

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Maybe the big twist is that everyone's falling for the lies told about Ragna because they're still misogynistic and her nephew's spreading those rumours to undermine her instead. I'd give Mookie credit for that.

Or maybe her mother is the REAL Ragna and the Ragna in power is the shapeshifter :tinfoil:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
'Good, that will serve us well.'
'I'm not here to serve you. I'm here to fight for the dwarves of Kadaz.'

What a weird response to a pretty normal turn of phrase. I am choosing to interpret it as her thinking the resistance leader could be a shapeshifter, and we'll find out why next time.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 29, 2024

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

YF-23 posted:

Get ready for it to be something as stupid as "the proceedings are public except for enemies of the state and Cresca can observe because she's too new to be a known rebel".

I mean it's less stupid than the meetings being completely private and expecting them to either not notice an extra guard or for her to successfully infiltrate in one guard's place.

A 'public' meeting that's really only for the council, the aristocratic class trying to earn clout, their entourages, guards and servants would be fine.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What if both sides are actually bad, like in very good and well-written game Bioshock Infinite where it turns out the slaves were just as bad as the slavers for being violent too and then you need to fight both factions??

It's actually worse than that somehow thanks to the DLC. The leader of the slave rebellion deliberately engineered things to become violent enough for her to take a child hostage and pretended to be crazy, specifically to force character development on Elizabeth by making her capable of killing, as demanded of her by the time travelling twins.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I like how a spy, who successfully infiltrated an important aristocrat meeting with just a change of clothes and hairstyle, doesn't think anything of him saying he has a 'remedy' for making sure all these abusive nobles will learn to recognise the names and faces of the staff from now on.

I am 100% down for stealth villain whatshisname.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Not being especially familiar with DND beyond a few hours in BG3 and The Adventure Zone, Zone of Truth seems like one of those spells that should be permitted to use only when it's funny.

Anyway I feel like this is leading up to nephew guy having a dilemma about taking advantage of misogyny in order to expose his aunt's wrongdoings.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 9, 2024

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's Monday and I didn't expect this:

I hope the 'interesting choice of words' really is an interesting choice of words, entirely harmless, and her opponent thinks it's a 5D chess play.

Anyway I love the sequence of events this chapter presents:

"Hey, go experience the shittiness of our society so you really really want to change it."
"Okay! I've done that, and I really really want to change it!"
"No."

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I would agree with that but again the explicit purpose of sending her to spy on the meeting was to make her madder about the state of things, and now they're acting like the response they wanted from her is a bad thing.

If she was really meant to be some hotshot newbie who gets results but recklessly endangers everyone as a result, a better story beat would've been her hearing about the meeting incidentally and deciding to infiltrate by herself, risking exposing the entire operation to directly communicate with one of the council. That sets up pushing the group into action because them deciding against having anyone at this meeting - or their contact who was there turning out to be kind of useless - would be a thread for Cresca to pull at in undermining how stagnant they've supposedly become, internal sabotage etc.

Hell you could've started the story with her doing that, and then she meets the rebellion because they stop her from doing something super brazen. Then you can decide if this is the 'heroic outsider helps the locals out' MMO style beat, or a deeper examination of incrementalism vs direct action.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

amigolupus posted:

The thing that's weird is how people barely seem to be a stickler for dwarf women needing to have beards. Dwarven men got easily seduced by trogs who appeared as beardless women, so that tells us they don't care for the beards. None of the men in that council meeting cared that Rebel Mookie didn't have a beard, and one of them actually seemed to be more turned on and made that comment about, ughhhh, her other lips also being shaved. The barkeep who's also supposed to be a main character actually likes being shaved, but hates that Ragna was the one who got that law changed. And the rebel group (which I don't think has a name yet?) had members with beards, but their actual ideology is stemmed around women having the choice to shave.

The only group that seems to care about dwarf women needing to have beards were the wives of the councilors who slutshamed Rebel Mookie for being shaved. Which is not a good look to have when you're bragging about how you're not a coward because your dwarf women have beards.

I'd actually be surprised if SimonChris's idea turned out to be right, because nothing we've seen so far indicates Mookie gave any thought at all to the message he's sending with this comic.

He might be angling for a 'the reasons behind bigotry are ultimately nonsensical and based around emotional reasons and that's why they're often so hypocritical and require so much cognitive dissonance to maintain' type beat - like he found beardless Creska hot and therefore 'acceptable', whereas he's not attracted to this guy's wife and sees her beardlessness as unseemly.

He's not pulling that off very well, obviously, but I've completely lost my train of thought on going back to check the page again why the gently caress did he put tentacles on her chest.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Tesseraction posted:

Mean Dwarves

Stop trying to make 'Fvetch' happen.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Happy Landfill posted:

I know it's been said, but man, mookie does not know how to draw

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Both of those dwarves must be in imminent danger jesus christ.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Tesseraction posted:

We're all gonna feel like idiots when she's turns out to be Jacob's.

Or Celesto's, somehow.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Maxwell Lord posted:

I cannot get over the fact that the collections of Legacy are Curious, Kind, and Loyal

It’s loving self parody

Those are all character traits that describe Dominic of course!

:barf:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Mx. posted:

hold onto your asses, rear end-holders

Alright we're at the 'basic, but it's fine' stage, let's see how long we hold this course.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
So magic being made soft makes ghosts and ghosts are a brand new development?

I'll give Mookie a point if he has someone who isn't enamoured with Dominic's legacy on the grounds of 'wait so how many people are currently trapped in the moment of their unexpected deaths forever now just because they had a few regrets and have to wait for a friendly not-necromancer to come by on a case-by-case basis, assuming they're ever found?'.

He gets that that's torture and something people would reasonably despise Dominic for right?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

YF-23 posted:

I can't get over killing the jock sport like this. As much as it fits with mookie wanting to change the setting and move away from '00s edginess he could have done so many other things. Like "oh right, they used to call it that" and "it's less violent now". And even though I think it's not that big a deal to not put much stock in a young child's dream, going from "oh yeah my kid loved that stuff" to "I am glad it's completely dead" just seems so needlessly excessive.

Could've even made a joke about it. 'Oh yes, people stopped playing Slaughterball ages ago! Now we play Knifehockey, much safer.'

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Schubalts posted:

Eating your own corpse after you respawn is vegan.

It's also vegan, because it's me, and I give myself permission to eat me.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Schubalts posted:

Magic caring about how kind someone is is an extra weird thing because it's demonstrably false. Redactor had zero problems using any of her magic, and she was an evil racist.

That could be some decent social commentary about how 'kind' doesn't automatically mean 'good' in the right hands.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I am not hating this potential skeptic vs believer protagonist set-up, even if one's objectively wrong. Fun reversal of real life :v:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair the guy who's taking money is just telling people what they want to hear rather than what their dead ancestors actually said.

The implication so far is that his spirit isn't even there, yeah. It's potentially all in her head - might be even more upsetting for her to find out her father died without any regrets for how he treated her :smith:

Spirit shepherds having a secret community who go around collecting communal funds from people who are only haunted by their own troubles, so the actual spirit shepherds can work with spirits directly while still being able to function, could be an interesting morally grey concept. It's totally a scam taking advantage of emotional people and their trauma, sure. But if it helps people heal from that trauma and live happier lives, while also keeping the actual spirit shepherds housed, clothed and fed so they can do their work for free no matter where they are...

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 4, 2024

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Mx. posted:

what if the ghost is right to be a controlling rear end in a top hat
he could be a heroic controlling rear end in a top hat

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Maybe the fake spirit shepherd is the ghost and his presence draws in little troublemaking spirits.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The 'ideal' spirit shepherd protagonist is a woman that effortlessly therapizes everyone in need while never demonstrating her own needs, and forgoes her bodily autonomy on the reg, explicitly without seeking payment for her labour beyond the generosity of others, and any suffering she endures as a result of that is just more evidence of her selfless kindness.

Mookie's feminist journey with female protagonists is going well I see.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Cage wrote this scene and to my knowledge Mookie's not tried to insert the phrase 'I have a dreavm' anywhere.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm a fan of the existence of the fantasy sub with fries. Finally, recognisable food :unsmith:

No clue what the third thing on the plate is though, so I'm interpreting them as edible beetles and applaud Mookie for normalising the consumption of insects in his fantasy world.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I like that, once again, instead of the protagonist ordering food that may indicate that she’s short on money, she orders the Poor Meal For Poors. Has Mookie ever actually been to a restaurant?

I once went to a Mexican restaurant with a 'Peasant Plate' but it was maybe three dollars cheaper than the rest of the menu, being beans and rice with a really nice mango-habanero salsa and nachos.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
A con artist she's clearly familiar with enough to name on sight, so I wonder if he maybe flunked out of whatever training course you take to be a spirit shepherd and they were friends before, once he decided he wasn't a fan of the lifestyle perhaps.

And it hasn't really been explained why he should be, beyond suffering building character. It's like he's heard of the complaints about how his typical protagonists have everything handed to them and gone 'well okay, this one has absolutely nothing!', but doesn't understand what makes a character who struggles actually compelling. Suffering for the sake of suffering and/or because it makes for moral superiority aren't it.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
quote is not edit

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
She depends on the kindness of strangers.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

a cartoon duck posted:

since we established early on that spirit shepherds are rebranded necromancers, and that jacob is a, of not the, master of them, it's no unreasonable to assume he decided to form a religious order around himself and told them to take a vow of poverty, as a joke

Alternatively that tracks with Nepo-Baby Dominic choosing to live wherever the hell he did and scraping by telling fortunes instead of wherever the son of a rock star and one of the most powerful mages in the world could live. Choosing poverty builds character and that's why the song 'Common People' by Pulp is about what a cool good person that girl from Greece is.

Fighting your way out of poverty, having been born into it, well...

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 11, 2024

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
'gently caress scammers, except the ones I'm friends with they're the good guys.'

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Synthbuttrange posted:

goddamn this is so boring and poo poo. Have something interesting happen.

Like they both get run out of town for being scammers.

Or scammer actually turns out to be talented at ghost speak and has to make things right.

He gets off scott free or something and the girl has to pay the consequences.

idk, ghosts come haunt his rear end or something.

like literally move into his colon

What if the ghost dad, the girl and her brother are themselves scammers? They call in fake spirit shepherds, give them a small investment to 'deal' with the ghost, then wait for a real spirit shepherd to be around when they confront the fake. Inevitably the spirit shepherd forces the fake to not only fully refund them but also give them more money as compensation, maybe even giving their own savings as well because it's the right thing to do. The dad ghost is able to either pretend he's been sent on by the real shepherd, or says he'd rather stick around to keep an eye on his family, rinse and repeat once both the fake and the real shepherds have moved on.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

FlocksOfMice posted:

Scam artists bad I guess.

It's not good but there's not a lot that's leaving me incensed and boggling at his poor writing decisions. There's a very simple theme/plot/message and it's staying on brand so far. It is succeeding at the most basic tasks of story telling possible. This, for Mookie, is an achievement.

Unfortunately it's one of those ones that gets effectively poisoned by his blog post where he very confidently asserts that the scammers he's personally friends with or that genuinely believe their own bullshit are good actually.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Wait we have a non-zero chance of the dad's soul showing up in hell and Siggy dealing out his eternal punishment :aaa:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

rudecyrus posted:

what's wrong with your faaaaace(s)

So many wizard hats.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I didn't think it was possible for a dress to somehow become even more clingy and weird what the gently caress is he doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

YF-23 posted:

I don't know if this is how he wishes people reacted to his food or if this is how he reacts to good food. Maybe mookie is just an annoyingly loud eater.

Add in pointless queerbaiting and we've got a bingo.

He absolutely says 'Om nom nom'.