Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
seeing dominic deegan is back made me feel like i was in IT and just learned pennywise returned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Why doesn't he just cut a hole into his pants for his tail instead of awkwardly having it look like his rear end is out? I don't know why that's what bothers me most but it does.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

love going to sleep with gravel snuggling into my bare balls

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

They actually move the story along, instead of spending 3-4 panels to depict a single action.

Maybe his plan with Legacy was to make us all compliment the OG series in comparison?

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 14, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I want to challenge myself and create a comic without dialogue. Here’s my character that uses speech-to-ink.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I've never seen a story that's written like a wikipedia plot summary before.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Mookie's regret over this gimmick is palpable. If this goes on for years he's gonna give Snout telepathy to communicate with people without technically being spoken dialogue.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I check on this thread every few weeks and every time it seems like the exact same scene is happening. I've read Mookie's stuff for a shamefully long time and I still can't believe how bad he is at this.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

i can not loving believe he's walking around in some good 'ol boy overalls with "DEAF" written on the front holy poo poo

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Mookie just really liked Illidan from Warcraft, and taking that aesthetic is all the effort he'll put into writing about blindness.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

He's venting his horniness with his satyr stuff, so ink witch has been replaced. We won't see her for a long time.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

No, no.

Just feeling the ground vibrations from how loud they’re playing is enough to get him headbanging.

drat you beat me to this. I was about to say that feeling the vibrations is gonna be Mookie's excuse to make metal Snout's favorite genre.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

This walk down memory lane re-reading OG DD really cements the sad fact that this poo poo is way more fun than Snout's adventures. Mookie venting his weird hang-ups and insecurities is infinitely more interesting than him trying to be Progressive™ and break boundaries, but without having put in any effort to grow as a person and learn different perspectives (because he believes he's already open-minded enough, what more does he need to learn?).

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I remember Mookie's blog posts underneath the latest strips would be full of "I've been reading [superhero comic] lately and felt inspired by it" as he shamelessly ripped it off. Good to know he's had about as much personal growth as one his characters.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Holy poo poo, he has to drop a humble brag about how he liked manga before it was cool (:smug:) in his insincere list of excuses for why he's bad at coloring.

10 years ago I used to think Mookie was a well-meaning bumbling idiot. But now that I'm not a teenager with 0 emotional intelligence, re-visiting his old work and seeing his self-congratulatory "how to write heroes and villains" panel, I realize the guy is just a smug douchebag.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Jacob being a heinous villain who still enjoys trolling his little brothers, and wanting to keep them around because life is more fun with them is a genuinely entertaining character trait. Why is Mookie so bad at this that he ruins things he accidentally makes good? You have to try to be this terrible at creativity.

I also think if his reason for becoming a necromancer was to better understand what attacked his family and wanting to use that knowledge to protect them against it, and then the typical seduction by power happens, would be more interesting than just an immediate "drat that poo poo that hurt my brother was :krad:." And that could lead in to the continued soft spot for his family even after the full heel turn.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah, I read Dominic Deegan as a bookmark to click when I got on the computer. I didn't even discover mock threads for it on here until long afterwards.

The official forums were funny though because they were like if we had an entire sub-forum dedicated to making GBS threads on DD and Mookie. Even they hated it!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I think Mookie's unironic fanbase begins and ends with his circle of friends who go, "Hey, you're still doing your stories? That's cool, man."

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

The not-Drider looks more like a six-legged centaur than a spiderwoman.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 13, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Wh... Why is Szark also saying Sin City? Instead of something normal he just says the name of the city he's in when he nuts?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

So I'm figuring skinned dude existed entirely because Mookie rewatched Infinity War and wanted a ~moving~ scene of a character disappearing into dust, and awkwardly forced his way to that moment.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Dabir posted:

he's also too dumb to remember anything he doesn't write down I guess

He's TNO from Planescape and needs a journal to maintain his entire identity.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Skypie posted:

He wants to do the comic but painted himself into a corner cuz he got mad when someone said "hey man the ink witch comes off as kinda skeezy"

This is what kills me. He has no artistic conviction, even if it'd be misguided in this circumstance. He instantly folds and changes his entire story so people don't hurt his feelings.

And the thing is, it'd be okay to change course (if in a more creative way than... this) if he thought, "Oh, wow, I didn't see it like that. I'm sorry." Then he'd have some introspection on his thought process and beliefs. But no, he does it because he doesn't wanna get called out, while also being unwilling to change anything about himself that's getting called out.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah, nerds like wish-fulfillment fantasy settings and anime, and this is the beginning of when you could combine the two. Instead of the strong farmboy chosen hero swordfighting with orcs, now you could have a nerdy guy get revenge on mean jocks by outsmarting them and earn a cute docile waifu. Not too cute, she still has a "flaw" that'll prevent anyone trying to take her from you and will keep her from being too confident, but the flaw isn't so bad you wouldn't marry her. Don't worry!

The really lowbrow isekai is just a higher budget DD, and fills that same niche. Anyone who watches Shield Hero would have read DD, too.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I FORGOT ABOUT GARRIT UNTIL NOW OH GOD THE MEMORIES ARE FLOODING BACK NOOOOOOOOO

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I'm on a nostalgic dive into Power Rangers because the world is chaos and sometimes childhood media is your raft in the ocean, and even THAT franchise has more complex characters and a less childish black and white world view than Mookie does. Mookie wishes he could write any character development on the same tier as Bulk and Skull's. And their characters are simply just bullies who learn they enjoy helping people. But it's still more than... anything anyone here goes through.

I just want to preach to the choir that Mookie is more shallow than any the superhero/shounen anime/etc. media he's incessantly ripping off. It's impressive! I think the fact it's so incredible how bad everything is is why this series is infinitely more interesting than his projects afterwards.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 18, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Assume all Mookies in the story are 23, because that's... well, you know why.

Donovan is an obvious exception, but that's just who Mookie imagined himself to be as he got older.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

There is a very sharp turn with the women in the story, and once you learn it's because Mookie's gf cheated on him it clarifies why the misogyny got amped up. Jayden gets the worst of it, and I've always thought she was based on his gf at the time, so...

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 20, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

*Mookie voice* Proper women should be waiting on the sidelines sighing wistfully wishing they were useful to men... but wait... she has a man's blessing to come over and do her job! Her dream came true! I'm a feminist. :)

I know she was unconscious when he said he was resistant to magic, but have the nurse show some agency when seeing a heavily wounded person, instead of her standing back while the non-healer Rachel rushes to him with Greg instead.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Mookie constantly reveals throughout the comic that he's just as intolerant to the other as any slur-slinging 80's bully. He thinks that because he isn't walking down the street actively condemning gay people to hell, it means he's progressive.

We'll get to it eventually, but there's an entire mini-arc visit to an alterist where the punchline to every strip is Dominic being exasperated and viscerally disgusted by people who... :siren:look different!!!!!!!:siren:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

:cursed:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I'm genuinely shocked not only that those forums are still online, but they were active enough to talk about Legacy in any capacity.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

It's very telling about Mookie that the story and entire cast treats Celesto's 5-day affair with Amelia like they were childhood sweethearts who loved each other their entire lives.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

The concepts displayed are so simple because Mookie doesn't associate intelligence with research or knowing things. He just associates it with not caring about sports.

Do you have absolutely zero curiosity or desire for mental self-improvement? You're still a genius as long as you write "I'd rather be alone in a library surrounded by old books than in a bar full of drunk sports fans" on your tinder profile, even if you don't actually spend any time reading anything.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah. This is, without any irony, the peak. That doesn't mean it's good of course, just the best it's ever gonna get.

And then it continued for like, 7 years after this.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

There are slut churches and nerd churches.

I will give Mookie credit for one thing: He hasn't gone as far off the deep end as Tatsuya to actually portray actively sexual women as brainwashed cultists.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 26, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I honestly can't imagine how awful something has to be that even Mookie agreed it was bad. He thought making a heroic rapist was a good idea!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

man, remember when this was about some guy being super obsessed finding out what happened to a person he never heard of before?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Didn't Buckley get caught editing the CAD wiki page once? I guarantee you Mookie's fingerprints are on at least of few DD public pages, he's just never been called out on it like Buckley because... Let's be real, more people care about Buckley and CAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

I had the realization that Dominic's character is literally just this infamous image, but he studied vague knowledge instead of the sword:

The last line in particular is absolutely something Mookie would write.