Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I like how every thing and place is labelled so that fans don't make up the wrong name for things that are in the original world the artist envisioned.

And also so that people understand what they're looking at because the art literally doesn't give you enough context sometimes, like it could have been spiky ink lane or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Baller Ina posted:

Why would he stop and stare at the back of the sign in the last panel. ugh

No that's a really big sign in the background and he's looking at the audience thus breaking the forth wall.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

TheHan posted:

A lot of Mookie's writing issues stem from never editing or having an editor. I'm sure he'd have hit at least one of these ideas in post, but never got beyond "The paper tells him where to look"

Well if it was he sure isn't gonna be now:

Im happy our main character learned nothing from this encounter and was undeservedly and unwittingly awarded a small victory.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

The only thing that would redeem this comic is a big old FIN over Borts tombstone next update, ending the comic and keeping mysteries mysterious.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Snoot

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I think the tree tries to eat him and a spiny rock lodges itself perfectly inside a tree knot thus preventing the tree from eating him x2

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

me filling up a page worth of dialogue: Wow really off topic here. Would hate to fill up all this blan-

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

TheHan posted:

Monday's is boring, enjoy.

why is the missing last page to his right. Why didn't the page just drop him right in front of it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

Ha ha. We're moving up in the world. Not only do plot important things just appear in the world, but now objects just appear in the protagonist's hand.

Where did the banana come from, or the brush go to? He has no pockets.

:aaaaa:

c-continuity error?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I caught up.

I think it's gross how about got into bed naked with her. I remember him keeping his clothes on other times.....

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

The Little Death posted:

Romcom montage on their endless journey to the mongreltown,

Apparently that sign was indicating a billion miles that way <-

See look, he sleeps modestly around her. Why was he makes last time it's gross .

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

I remember Mookie wrote something similar to wondering why there were heroic thieves and heroic murderers in fiction but no heroic rapists, and he wanted to deconstruct that.

The phrase "sexy rapist" may have been used.

:negative:

:smugjones:

That displays such a deep misunderstanding of genre tropes, storytelling, and actual morality. I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to explain why mookie's wrong (in that usually it's obvious that heroic thieves and murderers are different than 'sexy rapists') to his face, but maybe I would start with deconstructing why 'robin hood' is a character.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hahahaha holy gently caress.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I love it when people who are accused of being liars immediately try and cover up the accusation and inflict violence upon the accuser. Because using violence to stifle accusations of wrongdoing is what heroes do!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Chalk caster

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

The Illustrator Illusionist.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Folks, I love the signs that follow snout around.

My headcannon is that the inkwitch is trolling him. I think it makes the comic more entertaining and it gives a canon explanation for the set-up payoff signs that otherwise would be illogically placed.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

....So next week will be naked dream time.

:smith:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I can't believe I've caught up on everything. Hard to believe Snoot has been searching for dominic deegan for over a year.

Thanks for this synopsis and commentary on Star Powered Guardian. It's certainly.... something.

This bit was glossed over I think, classic mookie. The old government was okay to remove from power because they were child murderers. Glad to see the feddies only ever do the right thing in the best way.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 12, 2020

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I think it's pretty heroic of Danica to sacrifice nothing to be a interstellar space traveller, and that the friends missing her was resolved in a very tidy manner with no character growth. They just get her back. Pretty cool stuff!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

Mookie has slacked off on the updates to Legacy, so we're also discussing his other terrible defunct webcomic called "Star Power," which was drawn by a different artist, while we wait for him to update the gripping saga of Snout being near some vines.

But co-written by mookie!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I think dnd alignment is okay for giving very new players a hint about how to roleplay if they're lost. Some structure is good for imagining how people would react 'in character'. I don't think it matters much or should matter much in normal play after people's introduction to the system and character creation, but that being said if you and your friends are into it an 'alignment matters' campaign would be fun.

What I don't get with mookie is the disconnect between 'LG has a moral good and are incorruptible and will always do good' and the implication being that rougish CG characters are corruptible. My understanding is that CG characters just do good as they see fit, not that they're especially on the fence about doing good or willing to do bad.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's certainly better than "godlike being just lands on planets and starts beating up the native life."

:thunk: But what if Danica is morally superior to the natives and has no respect for sovereignty...?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

catlord posted:

Danica doesn't do that, and it is absolutely why Elf Wars ends on a wet fart. She helped a handful of people, but despite us being told that she did, we can see she didn't leave the world a better place.

God, I hope this is as understandable and not stupid as I think it is.

No I get it, that was an interesting point and I appreciate it! :)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

The Little Death posted:

I'm not gonna post it but new legacy strips are up. all uploaded already, text heavy again.

:(. Mookie is phoning it in.

please post it i dont know how to find them and im too old to learn

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

pretty hosed up how mookie couldn't even keep track of how many snouts he drew in the last panel... Come on mookie, are those supposed to be his long lost twins wearing the same overalls or what? :jerkbag: :smuggo:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I had a horrible feeling of dejavu when I saw the mongrel man handing Danica a potion and then I absolutely knew star power was in the right thread.

:bsdsnype:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

TheHan posted:

And to be fair, we know literally nothing about his personality beyond liking Danica.

He's firmly against human trafficking.

But ambivalent about exploding buildings with people in them. (As long as he doesn't see their faces you know?)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My first instinct was to give that a pass, because sure, bigotry exists and of course someone with an alternative gender identity is gonna run into that. It'd be silly to require all writers to avoid it completely.

But on the other hand... This is the first explicitly non-binary or trans character in any of Mookie's works. And he apparently just couldn't WAIT to exploit that fact with a bad guy. So nah. No pass for Mookie.

(What's extra-bad is on my first read through I actually had no idea Semme was nonbinary until this panel. What a way to find out!)

Yeah, I don't think it is possible or desirable to write out bigotry in all stories, but it's clearly a cheap prop here and there isn't really anything to signify that it's 'bad' because the good guy gangster is doing it.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I th ink it's good writing how snoot found the exposition there behind her.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

:suspense:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Listen, I cant do what Mookie does. That being said these shots kill me every time.

Looking at zot's profiles is like night and day. I don't think mookies profile shots were consistent with his head on shots even accounting for the 'style'.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Lots of anime is very schizoid in tone and blends ultraviolence and melodrama with slapstick and sex comedy. It's bad. FMA gets it right but FMA is loving transcendentally brilliant and something I'll go to bat for and rave about at all and every times.

I mean, consider how often the threat of rape - or even the actual act of rape - is something that is played for laughs in anime.

All anime except the one you watched and liked is bad, epic take. :jerkbag:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Folks, I have nothing to look forward to in life. The only thing I have is the Legacy of Dominic Deegan. That being said, can we please drip feed the thread Mookie's uploads instead of all at once? There's really nothing to talk about if we see a weeks worth of nothing all at once instead of being drip fed 2-3 days worth of nothing.

Like, we may have spent two days talking about why snout was taking out the bodies? Is he going to bury them? Is this how snout feeds? That kind of thing.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

I love how the 'fairy princess' dryad is automatically flaky because she's pretty despite not showing a single flaky quality. She can't possibly have a warm heart or a brilliant mind too, because Dominic knew everything he ever needed to know about her from watching her bleed out!

I suppose if he starts off by pushing another woman down first, he doesn't have to put as much effort into making Luna feel superior to her, which as everyone knows is the most important quality for a Deegan.

:jerkbag: she's a popular girl

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

goddamn

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Iacen posted:

Mourning wood.

Ayyye

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Personally, I do not care if mookie progresses as an artist. In fact, I hope he does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And their trip to the dream realm is over! Nothing happened and no new information was conveyed.

Lol she's really small in this panel