Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Hologram dude and lady talked about how Danica had "love for all creatures" immediately after she violently slaughtered a giant worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Looking at Star Power going through the galaxy and punching guys in the face because "they're bad" just reminds me of how Star Trek TNG had the Prime Directive which forbid interference on planets that hadn't achieved space travel yet (and yeah I know it was in the original series too but TNG was the first one to really fully explore the ethical ramifications of it). It really helped the series mostly avoid the White Man's Burden problem of going around to enlighten these underdeveloped societies of how to be as noble and wonderful as us humans. I know it's kind of a running joke that captains broke it all the time but there were instances in TNG where it was upheld even to the detriment of things, like there was a season one episode where it turned out some aliens were selling drugs to another intelligent species on their planet claiming it was a cure for a disease, and Picard determined it was better to uphold the Prime Directive than to give away the fact that the cure was a scam.

Anyway even if it was broken constantly it at the very least prompted discussion in episodes of if breaking it was really the right thing to do, what could be the problems with doing it, why it existed in the first place, and so on. More often than not the Prime Directive was mostly treated as an obstacle, but they rarely just flat out ignored it. It made things interesting and while the Prime Directive itself may or may not have been the best rule to follow in situations, it at least existed in the first place to address the issues of spacefaring people going around imposing their will on planets that hadn't achieved that level of technological advancement yet. It's certainly better than "godlike being just lands on planets and starts beating up the native life."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I recognize this panel, I saw it ages ago when someone posted it to point out how ridiculous it was that he swings the hammer sideways at her but she falls straight down. I can only assume he realized he didn't have enough space left to show her getting knocked back and didn't feel like (or didn't think he would succeed in) changing the art so that he was bringing the hammer down from overhead.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I really hate that Danica did what she was explicitly and repeatedly told not to do for very good and logical reasons and then everything worked out perfectly fine because we can't have the hero ever be wrong.

I also hate this because there's no reason for them to say the names of their families except to try and pass it off as "worldbuilding," but more than that it's just the expository way they're talking. Like them going over their reasons for getting involved in trafficking to try and convince the last family why it's so great could work, if they spoke like they were having a normal conversation.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Mookie is also a coward because IIRC over time Luna's tusks become way less prominent and her face doesn't look nearly as hosed up so the whole "external beauty doesn't matter" message gets lost.

"Over time," it happens almost immediately.

Like even by this point they're significantly smaller than they were on her introduction but they're at least still somewhat prominent in this picture, and even slightly so after that.

quote:

But by this point they're barely there, and that's not even too long after that last strip. I know Mookie's art is inconsistent and that their size varies wildly (this seems to be the smallest they're drawn out of this set of strips), but it seems as soon as she leaves her house and becomes Dominic's love interest, they start getting smaller almost immediately.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Vilrath laughs at Dominic for trying to scry on him and then says "I've been scrying on you" which makes me wonder why Dominic doesn't have a seer's glyph or whatever for himself. You'd think a seer would know most of all how useful preventing other people from watching you is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

catlord posted:

Speaking of the Storm of Souls, Celesto was the Chapion of Chaos and Dominic was the Champion of Balance. Did the forces of Law just... gently caress off? What were they doing and why didn't they have a Champion of their own? Shouldn't that have been a big three-way fight?

The Champion of Law was in it, but she was so barely involved it's no surprise if you missed it. She was the leaf dryad from the first story arc who existed just to give Dominic a leaf cape while he fought Celesto.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Marin Karin posted:

i'll never get over mookie's smug self-assurance that the nudity is about breaking down barriers and how there's nothing wrong with the beautiful human form... as if oglaf doesn't exist and is infinitely more popular than dominic deegan ever was, and isn't written by a pretentious prude who has to morally justify their horniness.

No but see Oglaf also has sex and erections, and it's been established that he thinks sex and erections are bad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I want to post the Wild World of Batwoman clip with Tom Servo just yelling "END" but in order for something to end it has to actually begin.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Little Death posted:

I don't even know what's supposed to have happened to Greg in that last panel.

It looks like a PLOP to me.

I don't know the actual term for it, but it's something a lot of newspaper comics do when the punchline happens, people seeing/hearing it fall over backwards. Condorito would use PLOP for it happening so I just know it as PLOP now.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So if you see a hunchback
Why don't you take him out to lunch, Jack
To say hey thanks a bunch, mack
Thank you for being a hunch

If it wasn't for the one in the middle showing us that they're hunchbacks I would've just assumed the one on the left had boobs.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

1. gently caress you Mookie, no one cares that you can draw/trace backgrounds now. Get to the loving point.

I'm sorry I think you'll find he once read a book by some guy who said that multiple pages of nothing happening is extremely good and makes a story good,* so sit back and enjoy these dull backgrounds.

* The book did not say this but that's how Mookie interpreted it so that he had an excuse to be as lazy as possible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Looking back my mind had mixed up two separate posts. Him talking about how important it was for "nothing" to happen was about showing the characters resting and relaxing. The pages of nothing but travel montages was a separate one where he says he found out it was relaxing to draw landscapes and that he was inspired by The World of Edena by Mbius (and by "inspired by" he means "copied").

Though now that we're getting these travel montages every other week this sentence is pretty funny:

quote:

It was one of the most peaceful stretches of making comics Id done in years, so I decided to dedicate an entire week to it which is only three comics, so in the grand scope of the comic it will go by pretty quickly.

I think what happened is he realized that copying/tracing backgrounds is pretty low effort and allows him to churn out a bunch of comics much faster than if he has to actually advance the plot (especially with the holiday season going on), so quick to do plus not having to plan things means he started relying on them heavily.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Stonewater isn't part of the Doma clan so why the hell would he have to follow their marriage laws? If it's because "They're in Doma territory and have to follow their laws" then how does he have the right to claim Melna as his wife, wouldn't they just be able to say "Sorry we don't recognize your claim since you're in our territory"? Why is Stonewater's dad, who's right loving there, not doing anything?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Little Death posted:

In particular, the hymen/cum checking seems like an easy place to just fudge it. For the events to play out the way they do, apparently the Doma have an actual way to accurately check for sex, despite the hymen thing being mostly a myth in reality. I remember at the time people defending it by invoking the hymen idea, but this isn't a virginity check, it's literally the opposite, which is even more bullshit.

I remember people talking about some sort of magic spell to check but I don't know if that was just a joke about how they could possibly check for that sort of thing. If you wanted to be generous you could just assume that they have a Detect Lie spell or whatever and just ask both of them "did you have sex" and if they didn't do it but said yes they'd get caught lying, but since he specifically says "Doma matrons" and not wizard/druid or whatever, then we can only assume that they actually are somehow checking to see if she did it. Which is of course incredibly dumb but hey gotta make the scenario as contrived as possible so he can feel justified.

What I'm really not looking forward to is that Stonewater right now feels pretty guilty over what he did, he admits it was rape and that he's ashamed of what he did. He doesn't say he regrets it, but whatever, at least he feels bad about it to some extent. But I know by the end of this arc he's going to be forgiven by his victim and everyone will say "Hey buddy don't feel bad about what you did, it was all good!" and now he doesn't have to feel bad anymore!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm curious to see how much worse it can get from here on, I guess. I joined the original mock threads right at the beginning of the Desert of Eldariat To Die and I think shortly after that was when the final battle against King Dave and Shuma-Gorath happened.

Now that I think about it, didn't Dominic Deegan sort of do the same thing CAD did? I know CAD just kind of ended out of loving nowhere with no indication it was ending, and I feel like Mookie was talking about all his plans for the future of the comic and then it was the final battle and everything wrapped up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Monty Python sketches are always great to rip off, it's such an obscure show that practically nobody will recognize it.

quote:

Wait what? Is it ever explained what clan law it is he broke? Because if it's what he did to Melna that makes this whole thing even stupider.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think in Mookie's mind there's a couple of things going on, the first is that he feels that Stonewater is justified in doing what he did to save Melna, and so all the other characters agree that it is justified so taking him to task for it would be implying he did something wrong, and he can't have that since his heroes have to be heroes and nobody can disagree with them unless they're a villain.

The second is that Stonewater obviously feels bad about what he did so to him having characters who would be angry at him or cold towards him based on this new information would be "mean." I'm thinking about that Calvin and Hobbes where Calvin's dad is yelling at him for breaking his binoculars, and at the end Calvin is like "Dad let's pretend I already feel really horrible about this and there's no need to yell at me" and Calvin's dad cools down a little. That's how Mookie sees the situtation, that Stonewater has been "punished enough" because he feels bad about what he did and the other characters would be real jerks to hold it against him further.

Finally because of the contrived nature of the situation, Stonewater is unlikely to do that sort of thing again, so Mookie feels like since there's no chance of him being a repeat offender, that it's fine to just leave it in the past and never mention it again. I actually feel like this one point has a little bit of merit. Serial killers are one thing, but someone who killed someone else in a crime of passion probably isn't going to turn into a repeat murderer.

However, I only give him a little bit of credit because even if you don't think they're going to keep murdering, you probably would question other things like their anger management skills, their decision making, things like that. Sure Stonewater probably won't do it again but the fact that they don't even go "Wow he actually thought he had to do that? What is wrong with his brain?" is where the issue is.

All this to say that I don't think Mookie would necessarily say that anyone who brings up Cosby drugging women is being a jerk or that he would say "Aw it's in the past, let's move on." I mean, he might, but I don't think that's a given, since Cosby didn't have a "noble reason" for doing it, did it multiple times, and shows no remorse for his actions. He probably would defend Al Franken though, since Franken did apologize for (some of) what he did.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

I see we've reached the point where Siggy became too popular and had to become racist.

Oh yeah I remember someone mentioning Mookie didn't like how people liked Siegfried and made him racist so people would hate him, or something. I was wondering if this was the first sign of racism from him, though I know Mookie jacks it up to 11 later with some sort of gift of dead orcs to his dad when he was a kid. I can only assume people still liked him after this scene and Mookie felt he had to make it even worse.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nighthand posted:

Ah good, a giant psychedelic snout. I bet it's deaf too so it can use magic text to talk.

I feel like it's a 50/50 shot between "talks directly into his mind" or that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

In a blog post a while back Mookie talked about how in DD his characters were just in a white void a lot because of the panel size and speech bubbles, and now that he has no speech bubbles he has so much more space and can do actual backgrounds.

Except he still just puts things in a white void unless he's specifically drawing a "Snout walks around in boring setpieces" comic. The closest he's come to drawing an actual background was that one page of Snout walking around mongrel town, except that was traced from another picture.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Every time I look at that second panel all I see is "You going to gently caress me into bed?"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Stonewater/Melna descendants seem like they'd be the most likely, since it would give them a (very flimsy) reason that they could write in Callanian (I think that's what their "English" is called?). Or they just all can because it makes things easier for Snout. Still, given that Stonewater and Melna knew Dominic personally it means that their descendants would be the best link to the legacy so it would still be a justification for their descendants to show up.

All I know is whatever we predict, the outcome will be even stupider and more boring than we expected.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Because Mookie forgot she wasn't wearing a hat.

This isn't a joke answer.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

There's also Lost, where from the very first episode people called "They're dead and in the afterlife" and it seems like the writers did everything they could to try and make people feel that they were wrong, and in the end it turned out they were right.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Invisible ink

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I feel like the old drawings lying around could actually work in a way. If the ship flew based on following a drawn path, then keeping old drawings for when you want to revisit a place would be convenient. Like if you drew a route from your house to your mom's house, you could keep that on file so you wouldn't have to make a new drawing every time you wanted to visit your mom, just pull that one out and use it. Most people would probably keep them organized and filed/labeled so you could easily find a route when you needed it, and the Ink Witch having hers lying about would imply she was a slob or just scatterbrained.

But of course, that would require a lot of setup that wouldn't work in a "speechless" comic. Also the ship pretty clearly doesn't work the way I described, it really is just "She draws a line going left and the ship goes left."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Seeing that ship reminded me of dreams I used to have as a kid where half of the room would suddenly start sliding down at an angle.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Why does the orc look like a Greek god now instead of a crotchety old hobo?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Supernatural is not the opposite of unnatural, in fact they're basically synonyms.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Can't wait for a whole week of "Snout standing to the side with a wall of text beside him."

Truly a master of the visual arts.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was waiting for the comic to prove me wrong about Snout standing next to walls of text for multiple days but no, he really went and did it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"Villains work hard and train, while heroes are gifted their powers and never have to do anything for them" is such an incredibly prominent theme in Mookie's work. I think I sort of understand why he has it though.

If someone is the best at something and they worked hard and pushed themselves to the limit, there's always the possibility that someone else could do the same thing, and maybe even become better. This means that they can't possibly be anything special, could eventually be replaced/surpassed, and how could someone who isn't anything special and replaceable truly be a hero?

Whereas if someone is gifted their powers from a god/the heavens/magically strengthened, then nobody who works hard could possibly surpass them. They're special, they'll always be better than everyone else, and that's why they're a hero.

It also makes sense since this means villains are attempting to attain a level of power they aren't allowed to have, they're trying to be as strong as the heroes which is why they work so hard...and of course they'll never reach that level of power but they're always making the attempt.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Siegfried is totally justified in trying to kill Dominic because he's right. Dominic could have saved his father, but didn't.

Also, god, Klo Tark coming back with no explanation as to how and existing solely to tell Dominic how to do everything and then just die again to save his life is such goddamn lazy writing.

quote:

Also again, what does going into an infernomancer even mean? What are the stake?

My assumption, based partially on how much "sense" it would make, and partially on implied things in the comic, is that demons essentially possess the infernomancer. This allows them to leave Hell (one of the characters said something like "Your infernomancer is dead, mine is sick but alive, so I have an escape route") when they normally wouldn't be able to. I assume also that if a demon possesses an infernomancer, all their wounds are healed, since the body they're possessing essentially becomes their new body. I'm basing this on the fact that Toxxel jumped into Bulgak after getting stabbed in the chest by Karnak and seemed perfectly fine when he woke up in Bulgak.

Bulgak probably died from what Stonewater did, and that zapped Toxxel back to in front of Karnak (where he was before he possessed Bulgak) only now he has a giant ice spear through his chest. So this seems to imply two things, "Whatever injuries the Infernomancer gets while you're in him, you'll get when you leave him" and "If the infernomancer dies, you get sent back to Hell." And since Bulgak's wound was fatal, so was Toxxel's when he was forced out.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

We're clearly going to get a scene where Snout accidentally trips and falls and gropes her, and she gets mad and punches him into the sky, just like in Mookie's animes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also, aren't they in a foreign country with a different language now? Isn't that, like, the first thing we learned this chapter?

Anyone important they meet will be fully fluent in the same language as them, so there's no reason to look up how to write "deaf" in any other languages.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

He doesn't care what other people think so the low engagement doesn't bother him. He's drawing it purely for himself. I think it's been brought up before that this was supposed to be a Patreon or Kickstarter goal or something and he didn't reach it and he's still doing it anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I remember one single panel of Dominic he drew that was much better than anything else he'd drawn, and he only used it for that one panel.

Then in the final arc of the strip he drew that panel again (except I think it was actually a little worse the second time) as a callback.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

Eh, in truth, I think if someone pulled at... say a belt that was around my waist I would lean backwards, if not bend backwards.

But then again, I am a very nervous person, so...

If you were standing still, yeah, you might lean backwards.

If you were walking quickly however, you would definitely bend forwards due to momentum.

Mookie doesn't understand momentum, because he is a hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

But with some kind of tusk-like teeth, which with that height must mean that they are also a goblin.

A goblet.

https://twitter.com/Rivers3k/status/1226259768601464832