Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bismuth posted:

Its not that kind of comic

Dobson sighs and deletes it from his bookmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

he's the king if a country whose military committed war crimes, whose police force is known for its rampant violence, and whose system of law is chock full of loopholes to benefit the rich and powerful. him being beloved is a bigger twist than being cartoonishly evil ever could be, and if anything is a huge indictment of the callanian people

I have some bad news for you about the US and how beloved Obama is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Obama is hated by Republicans but they don't hate him because of the things a cartoon duck listed, they hate him because he's black. If anything they're even madder because Obama didn't do more of those things.

e: And even now I think Obama probably has a popularity over 50%.

So honestly if anything King Dave being the ruler of a country that committed war crimes, with a rampantly violent police force, and with laws benefiting the rich and powerful being beloved is completely realistic, it'd be a twist if he actually was hated.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The weird part is that he does have internal monologue, but it's presented as him writing in his diary which makes no sense as has been pointed out many times before, since they're being written at times when Snout couldn't possibly (or it would be extremely rude to) be writing in a book at that moment. The only reason it's being presented as diary entries is because Mookie thinks thought bubbles, or us just hearing what Snout is thinking at a give moment would violate the "no dialogue" rule.

I think he's actually correct on that, but he trapped himself. The earlier parts of the comic were actually somewhat decent attempts to show events happening without needing words, when it was just scenes like Snout reaching for pages while a monster he doesn't know was there was right behind him, or him attempting to get sap from the evil tree. That's the kind of stuff that works for a comic that is trying to do "no dialogue," you show events happening. But like I said, he trapped himself because the plot shifted from Snout actually doing things to Snout sitting around "talking" to characters who have backstories (well, kind of anyway) and the need to find Dominic Deegan's Legacy, which is hard to do without words. So he figured "Well if he's writing in his diary that's technically no dialogue!" even though it is literally just Snout thinking to himself but being written down so he can feel he's keeping the spirit of the rule, even though it clearly isn't.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This is why one of the most famous no dialogue comics is about a tiny dinosaur and mostly involves it running around finding things to eat. It's not entirely action but the plots are things that don't require complex ideas, it takes place in prehistoric times so there's no language anyway, and the author said he didn't want to give animals human level intelligence or thoughts.

But yeah once you get into stuff like "I think that gaining control over lucid dreaming and entering the dream world will help revive my dead girlfriend (somehow)" this is way too complex an idea to convey without using words and now Mookie is forced to have giant plot dumps in the guise of diary entries.

poo poo, he can't even handle stuff that actually would be possible to tell without dialogue, like the fact that Arudak has a dead girlfriend. There are subtle cues and actions that would convey this, but Mookie can't do that, so it's literally just "Welcome to my tower, now I must go pick up this photo of me and my dead girlfriend and sadly stare at it for a while."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

There is no clearer or better proof than these past couple of weeks of comics that Mookie genuinely has the mind of a toddler and cannot comprehend that something doesn't stop existing just because you can't see it.

e: in the real world anyway, in the world of Dominic Deegan maybe people really do stop existing if they're just off panel.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This isn't a pun, it isn't even wordplay! It's just the literal meaning of the word!

Beelzebufo posted:

It is incredibly stupid that "Trumpet" does not play trumpet

I guarantee you he thinks it's comedy gold. Which it can be, if done properly.

"If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flipper, which one would you think liked dolphins the most? I'd say Flipper, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong, though. It's Hambone." - Jack Handey

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mordja posted:

Oh yeah, what's her name then?

For a second I almost wanted to edit that Bill Leak cartoon, but nah.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

We will see a diary entry where Snout writes about how the ship has crashed and he's somehow okay. The implication is that instead of looking for his friends and seeing if they're in need of medical attention or in danger from where they were thrown, that he ignored them and sat down to write in his diary.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

quote:

To have him unseen felt wrong and off, so I added his perspective

This is all but outright admitting that Snout doesn't give a gently caress about anyone else in the comic, even the characters that are supposedly his friends, because his perspective does not include them. He only cares about himself.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mx. posted:

"I work full time as a comic creator and there is no way I could have planned it in advance so I didn't have weeks of boring low effort filler"

Of course he can't plan it in advance, then it wouldn't be a surprise to him!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Good thing nobody is injured from a high speed crash into waist high water.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Medenmath posted:

In this most recent page, simplifying or eliminating facial features is pretty common for distant figures in anime art due to there not being enough space for any real detail, but there's plenty of room in this case so it looks really silly.

It's also the fact that the facial features of both women are completely eliminated, but they aren't for the men. It's a weird decision that has implications.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Well yeah, you wouldn't want Snout to ever have to lose anything he's going to miss.

Of course, who would want to see the protagonist overcome adversity or hardships? That stuff is boring.

This is now the second time Snout's diary has seemingly been destroyed but turned out to be perfectly fine.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"Two characters were talking and one of them said something super shocking but Snout is annoyed because he's deaf and can't hear it!" is the kind of "gag" (I'm being extremely generous with that label because it's not actually humorous but Mookie clearly intends for it to be) that only works once. This is at least the second time he's used it if not the third or more.

It's also lovely because it kind of puts forth a negative stereotype that deaf people always have to know what other people are talking about and get upset if you don't let them in on every conversation that happens when they're around. Like, maybe the shocking thing was her saying "Take your hand off me or I'll break your arm" which took the other two by surprise because they didn't think she was that violent, but there's no reason Snout needs to know she said that or even care.

But it's Mookie so clearly what she said was either something about Arudak's tragic backstory that Snout has to know because it's plot relevant, or she said something insulting about Snout and he has to know so he can get very sad that she insulted him and his friends can stop everything they're doing to make him feel better.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

9CL had a storyline about parents having sex in front of their toddlers, as well as a storyline where a woman turns a gay man straight by saying "panties" repeatedly and then loving him in the bathtub.

This comic strip is somehow published in newspapers.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eight-Six posted:

Okay, what in the world are the dates for those comics because I disbelieve

https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/1415891716503130114

https://twitter.com/damnyouwillis/status/1418906626162102276

This is published in newspapers. Somehow.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Day By Day is banned in the political cartoons thread due to a cartoon where rape was presented as a correct punishment for a woman being wrong. It's just as well because recently Muir had a series of strips where the barely teenage daughters were naked.

As for the comic strip thread, aside from Dilbert, I don't think it's banned (it got posted in the last few days) but Frazz got dropped when the person who was posting it went "You know I'm kind of uncomfortable with this rich guy working as a janitor just so he can hang around elementary school kids all day."

RandomPauI posted:

The current 9CL storyline is probably about WWII, which is problematic because Brook already has three storylines about people who gently caress Nazis.

Didn't Brooke already do a flashback storyline about WWII that lasted for like two years?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

At least Mookie has never had his characters having sex in front of children.

That's the only thing I can think of where Brooke definitely comes out worse.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I just realized I never posted the proof of the other thing I said in my post so here, "enjoy."

And while I was finding that, also "enjoy" another of the "Seriously how the gently caress is this published in newspapers" strips.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Not that it's okay, but for the love of God please tell me you mean 18 or 17 and not 12-14.
Muir isn't *that* vile, right?

It's the latter, isn't it.

I'm sure as hell not going to go back to the site to check but I'm like 95% sure that the whole thing starts out with the mom telling another character "Now that my daughters are 13 I've invited them to our annual skinny dip."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Snout wagging his tail and smiling while thinking about them naked is very creepy.

Yes I know he's remembering the times they yelled at each other but it's still loving creepy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Someone on the GitP forums thinks that naked orc lady is lying to Arudak so he'll give up his quest to do something with dreams to resurrect his girlfriend. That would actually be really clever, so that's absolutely not what's happening.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think it's that, yeah. Since he doesn't plan out his stories in advance and writes them on the fly, he just forgets that characters shouldn't know certain things, and having them just know it makes it easier for him to write. Like when Dominic gets upset that the cattlebasters are going to replace the Knights of Callan, it's just his way of letting the audience know "These guys are going to be bad, and Dominic is super smart because he already knows they're bad" despite the fact he has no reason to think they're bad at that point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mookie's version of Chekhov's Gun is that the gun isn't mentioned at all for the entire story, until a character says "I'm going to shoot you with this gun I always have hanging on my wall!" and then immediately shoots it, and the rest of the story that character shows up every so often and just says "Hey Lois remember when I shot that guy with the gun on my wall?"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Personally I prefer hovney, maybe vanivlla or even peavnut. Not covconut though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Imagine being so bad at visual storytelling that you have to resort to some dipshit's diary entries to explain things in a comic with a gimmick of "no dialogue."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Let's talk about appropriation and how to respectfully integrate one character into a very coded culture of an indigenous one! Basically, you want to do the complete opposite of what Mookie did.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I still want to know what that dipshit on Twitter thinks is well written or respectful about Donovan being one of the most honored and celebrated people in the orc culture. It's literally exactly the same as Dances With Wolves/Avatar/Last Samurai where a white dude becomes so great at being another race that they accept him as one of their own. Oh except Donovan can't actually speak orcish worth a poo poo so why the hell is he respected?

She's probably supposed to be giving a reassuring smile to Snout in the first panel, letting him know that she's about to reveal a great secret/truth to him, but Mookie can't draw so it's just straight up a "Let's gently caress" smile.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

We also learned Arudak's dead girlfriend "loved another" which is so vague that it could be orc lady trying to steer him off his quest to revive her by using weasel words, or she really was cheating on him and thus she clearly doesn't deserve to be revived. Either way Arudak is really sad about it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

If Mookie does finally get rid of the no dialogue rule I can't wait for him to write a masturbatory post about how it really challenged him as a creator and it helped him to create something deep and meaningful, and since he achieved what he accomplished he decided then there was no need to continue it.

You know, rather than "I got rid of my actual halfway decent ideas in the first few months and then spun my wheels a lot because I'm not good enough to tell a story without dialogue and now I need an out."

SubG posted:

I don't think that has anything to do with the overarching plot, though.

That's the thing, we have no idea if it has anything to do with the overarching plot because we don't even know what the overarching plot is. gently caress for all we know Arudak's girlfriend was one of Luna's magic egg descendants and therefore extremely key to learning about the Legacy of Dominic Deegan.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

gently caress at least Dances With Wolves had the main character suffer hardships and loss for identifying with a oppressed group, and ultimately realized he couldn't stay with them. Avatar/Last Samurai/DD just go all in on "And this white dude was so amazing that he saved this other race and he decided to stay with them because he was one of them now."

Also as was pointed out Snout's dick pointing straight down as if he doesn't have a ball sack is loving weird and gross. As is his tail that's at a goddamn 90 degree angle and is like halfway up his back.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Crespolini posted:

That's not what happens in The Last samurai, lol.

I'm going off what I read on wikipedia, which I mean yeah it's wikipedia but I figured it'd at least get movie plots right. According to that he takes the samurai leader's sword and goes and makes a big speech about honor and tradition and poo poo to the emperor who goes "Oh no I have lost my way" and tells the businessman who was controlling him to gently caress off, and hooray Japan is no longer in civil war thanks to Whitey McGee. Then the movie closes by saying Whitey McGee went to live with the samurai village because he was truly a Japanese samurai now.

Again, at least according to wikipedia.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Without the context of Snout's body, for a few seconds I was genuinely wondering why you posted a picture of some dude with shaggy hair and a big nose. Almost looks like political cartoon art.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The best part about the twist is a while back a goon talked about how they found out how to see Mookie's comics early, posted the reveal unedited, and everyone thought it was an edit and demanded they post the real comic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Holy poo poo, I just realized that if you put the hat on it, Snout's dick would look like Andy Capp.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Holy poo poo it's perfect.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sinfest's Sunday strips also do the no dialogue thing but they suck poo poo because Ishida is a chud.

At least they look nicer than Mookie's.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ishida and Mookie have a bit in common actually. Both started their comics out as silly gag a day strips and tried to turn it into something bigger, and both of them drove away large portions of their fanbase by doing stupid things in their comic. The big difference is Mookie drove them away because he has no self-awareness and doesn't understand why his ideas are bad, Ishida drove them away because he decided to go all in on hatred and bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah that's more or less what I meant by him having no self awareness, he seems to mean mostly well. While he definitely has issues with women's sexuality and "jocks" he isn't actively using his comic to spread hate speech and most of the gross stuff isn't meant to be interpreted to be an actual statement to readers that you should, say, treat a woman who's cheated as an outcast and banish her from society.

Compared to Ishida, who's straight up saying "Anyone who thinks trans women are women is an evil mindless zombie who is destroying the greatness of western civilization."

Still, at the end of the day both of them introduced terrible poo poo into their comics and instead of apologizing for it, decided to double down on it, and lost a lot of support and turned their fan forums into ghost towns.