Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Someone let slip there was more Dominic Deegan and now I'm all caught up on the thread. Honestly I'm not surprised at Legacy given where the original went in its second half (nowhere, agonisingly slowly).

Thanks for the read-through of Star Power; I actually thought there was some potential in those later stories with Dr Hymn and the alien mobster planet if Star Power wasn't there with the I Win powerset. The character were all still very much Mookie archetypes but Garth's art sold them much better. I also thought it helped that they had to write collaboratively issue by issue instead of whatever whim Mookie is following now strip by strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

As far as I know that actually never happened, Mookie was solely in charge of the writing and Garth was solely in charge of the art (aside from the bonus story).
I'm hoping at least that Mookie wrote the comic issue by issue, rather than going "here is page 1, draw it and I'll get inspired for page 2".

I am prepared to be disappointed.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

City with no surrounding structures or farmland outside the walls.
It's an open flood plain from all those rivers smashing into the sides of that Petri dish of orcs.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah pretty much every depiction of faux-Medieval cities tends to forget they can't just ship in all their food via trucks.
I'm still not sure what tech level this world is running on yet. Dominic Deegan felt very fantasy 20th century (the electric guitars were a key factor) and this is set two centuries afterwards, and they're currently on a rocket ship.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

oriongates posted:

He forgot to give his second main character a name and then he tried to cover it up by pretending that was on purpose.
Reading though this thread gave me flashbacks to the original Wild Edge story in Dominic Deegan where Mookie also couldn't be bothered naming the two main female characters.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

TheHan posted:

I really enjoy how while Dominic’s living on easy street with his free house, kushy job and lackeys to fight his battles the orcs are just offscreen loving suffering and dying. Kinda makes the entire arc up to that point look petty!
Minor spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the original but the process that leads to the final conflict has already begun when Dominic sensed the return of TIM and Celesto and created his Bastard Watch. He already knows that's really bad news and should theoretically be the highest priority.

Keep that in mind when seeing how Dominic decides to spend his time from now until the end of the comic.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I still had a faint glimmer of hope that the giant walls signalled some kind of imminent potential danger, like at night the plains flooded, or swarmed with carnivorous radishes. Anything that might make things interesting. But nope, it's orcish land zoning restrictions.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Maltak plant creatures were introduced in the first place because Mookie went with orcs being a bunch of stock hunter culture stereotypes without realising how that doesn't mesh with being herbivorous. So the reason they have spears and archers is because they hunt plants.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway the point is I don't understand the need for "sentient vegetables creatures" because having tusks doesn't imply meat eating. If it were any other comic I'd assume we're supposed to view that guy as an idiot for thinking big tusks are the same as fangs and that they're used to hunt prey, but this is Mookie and I genuinely can't think of any other reason why he'd have sentient vegetable creatures except if he genuinely thinks that tusks are meant for eating meat.
The problem becomes more obvious during the slog through Maltak where Mookie introduces a whole bunch of single-trait orc tribes, such as the one that are the best archers in the world, where it doesn't make any sense if they don't use that skill to get food.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know that Warcraft orcs were a peaceful shamanistic society before they got corrupted by chaos magic or whatever so it isn't a unique idea or anything, but I don't know how much Warcraft influenced Mookie, but D&D definitely heavily influenced him.
By this time Mookie is getting into MMORPGs (Snowsong, natch) and there are a bunch of characters which strongly feel like they are based on his avatars. I don't know this for certain but it seemed very suspicious that all the regular orcs have names like Amtrak or Moldak and then there's the really special ice magic wielding one named Stonewater.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 18, 2021

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

I think Nimmel was a character he made in City of Heroes.
It's literally every ice wizard. They're all Mookie.

edit: I see he hasn't forgotten the fisher orcs, we're going to get an explanation of how it's totally vegan soon.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I recall Jacob was based on one of Mookie's evil RPG characters, which explains why he can get away with so much more when compared to similar villains such as Celesto.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The more horrifying thing is that a) we're now past the point where every chapter is a downward slide from the previous and b) we're only at chapter 18 of 45.

Snowsong (next chapter) technically falls in the "better" half of Dominic Deegan.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

oriongates posted:

Except...where are the halflings? You'd pretty obviously need an even larger population of halflings living in Maltek for the 'orcling' group to become a significant group (even if two orcling parents produce an orcling child, that doesn't really bypass the need for a significant population of both parent types to start things out). I never got far enough in old school deegan, were halflings presented as living in or near Maltek? What're the odds that mookie will even remember to include even one halfling?
Halflings in original Deegan live in the tourist trap of Olde Tucklebrook Island. As for the answer to "is location X anywhere near location Y", best of luck figuring that out. I don't think there ever was a map of the Deeganverse.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo why would he need to trace for such a simple, geometric drawing. Why. WHY
He wanted to draw an impressive library and on a technicality he did so even if he left out tracing all the impressive bits.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly I think everyone is focusing on the art issues because nothing else is happening in the comic. While early Deegan had many, many problems the one thing it did have was pace. Stuff happened, usually daily. Legacy has the same problem as late Deegan where everything is drawn out for months, compounded by the speechless format.

I just want them to get to the main desk and fish out the library card dammit.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

Now, to be fair to Mookie, this is something we have seen him do previously, but I really dislike the ease with which Dominic can just enter Greg’s mindscape here. Just instantaneously via touch. Won’t come up again, but incredibly powerful and dangerous when you think about it.
Basically the whole reason for the shift from the early Greg who was modest, shy and only wanted to help people to this new annoying brash and rather selfish Greg we see now happens because Dominic repeatedly goes into his mind and rewrites his personality to get what he wants.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I'd forgotten about all the Buzz Beardman stuff. :doh:

Rachel joining in on this nonsense feels like a callback to when she tried to turn earlier Greg into a superhero and Greg plain flat refused, saying he wanted to be plain, ordinary Greg. Also it's reminded me that in Greg's mindscape where he was a giant glowing angel he very specifically said that the reason why he hadn't powered himself up before was because he didn't trust himself to abuse it and morph into someone he wasn't, but he trusted Dominic to lead him through it. And here we are.

And this would all be fine and actually have great story potential if Dominic ever gets called out for it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

There were references to comic book heroes earlier on in the comic; it was in the part where Original Personality Greg refused to take part in Rachel's dress ups:

It just hasn't been front and centre as the main focus of the story before, and the reveal of SuperGreg is the point where the reader realises that all that Buzz Beardman stuff wasn't just a nod and a wink at comics - it was the entire point.

I also think it would have gone over a lot better if this was Greg organically becoming a superhero within the setting and not Greg play acting a superhero (despite actually have the requisite powers). Totally agree with the feeling of Mookie smashing his action figures together here.

edit: I will add this though, Snowsong is still miles better than where the comic currently is because at least stuff was happening back then.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

finer Deegan scholars
I'm ashamed that I can remember the difference between Bulgak Adrak and Adrak Bulgak.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

I feel like Pam gets punished for this later but I don't remember exactly what happens.
I can't remember if anything specific happens but she's very much out of the inner circle of Deegan friends after this.

I'm also sure Greg completely forgets any lessons he learned the next time we see him.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

Like I think there is still good odds he will abandon this comic before anything happens.
Mookie had the tenacity to keep his original comic going for years after all the fansites went rogue and I would not be surprised for him to keep his new comic going on its current trajectory for a decade. Although I'm not sure about the odds of anything happening.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Breetai posted:

Wasn't the Big Bad Unknowable Horror at the end of the original DD basically killed by a bad-guy/shades-of-grey character in what would in any other story be essentially a redemptive self-sacrifice and then from the panel after he dies to the end nothing is mentioned of him again? Or am I grossly misremembering?
We're up to the point in the comic recap where that character is currently working against the ultimate horror behind the scenes and it's utterly ridiculous how many times he keeps popping up to say how increasingly dire things have got while Dominic continues to fart around with trivial bullshit.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Pam is depicted as universally likeable by ordinary people so I could see her winning the election on her own merits, the problem is how a Queen Pam maintains that position when the entire Callan ruling caste are depicted as murderous power hungry bastards.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Dominic Deegan is one of the most important figures of all time, now after two hundred years it's time for some random mongrelfolk to finally write his biography.

Although it is Snout, I wouldn't put it past him to ignore entire shelves of "The Life and Times of Dominic Deegan". He's spent an entire day of research in an orc library where Luna and Donovan are two important figures in their history and somehow he's only got links to Miranda and "J. Deegan".

Robot Style posted:

How does this compare to the pacing of the original run? Legacy's updating less frequently, but has more room on the page to move things forward, so 2 years of each should be comparable.
The pacing in the original in recap takes a nose dive soon so it's on the same trajectory to be even more glacial now.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 20, 2021

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Snout can get a room in the hotel but they have to put a drop cloth on literally everything.

edit: actually that might make sense for the Ink Witch.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 23, 2021

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The last time Mookie did an arc without naming the women he ended up giving them the names the fanbase were using, but somehow I don't see that happening with "Corpsemomwife".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

Aren't we the fanbase?
The same as last time. I've got flashbacks to spending every single update complaining "what is her name Mookie?" :argh:

This time I've forgot every characters name except Snout and I don't care because every character is only there to be Snout's helper in a quest that I've also forgot because it might as well not exist.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Feverishly insisting Milov is the best guy as he forcefully expels an entire religious group just to save face.

quote:

What follows are 3 strips pushing the overarching plot forward. I don’t have much to say about them, other than I don’t hate them.
They would be okay in isolation or if they lead to anything but if I remember Mookie keeps doing these at the end of every arc showing Dominic knows that Big Things Are Going Down and then has him going off doing the most irrelevant bullshit.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As you said, none of these ideas came to pass, but I don't recall Mosly or Ethelia at all; like they are never even mentioned before or after this, unless I am mistaken.
Mosly was a one-off mention in a very early gag strip.

Then there was that teaser comic, then nothing. Dominic never gets back in contact with his old friend Mosly.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I'm not sure it's a good idea to ask someone who presumably named himself "Snout" for creative naming ideas, he's probably going to pick Dominique Treegan.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Honestly I'll admit I'm vaguely interested in it because it actually has the potential to lead to conflict...
It's still only a vague interest though because I know it won't actually lead to any conflict
The best moments in Dominic Deegan are where Mookie accidentally stumbles across an interesting hook and holding that vain hope that he follows through, but settling for guessing how long it takes for him to drop all conflict like a hot potato and watching the narrative carnage as he runs screaming to the end of the arc.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

"Hey should we be worried about a massacre that occurred recently?"

"No, I didn't get any visions about it so whatever."
This could have been a believable flaw for a seer because it's natural for someone with a sixth sense to over rely on it and end up completely blind-sided when it fails, except I don't think Dominic ever loses any reputation when he completely fails at predicting anything.

Of course it also means Dominic looking upset when Luna walks away from his marriage proposal is unbelievable because he absolutely would have scried ahead to know her answer in advance.

TheHan posted:

Otherwise I don't understand why you'd do an entire arc making Sigfried a lovely lil baby killer just to immediately give his story to someone else.
I think Siegfried and Jayden as very early characters were based on pen and paper RPG games and probably would have been played by other people in his group, as I could see Mookie getting annoyed if the fan favourite wasn't one of his.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Sorry no-one returned your high five there buddy, lets go to Maltak's Most Xtreme skate park.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I'm fairly sure Zelda Zanzibar is a character Mookie would play at cons which pretty much explains why she is the way she is.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I always assumed Jacob Deegan was yet another one of Mookie's D&D characters which explains why he has more depth and also explains why he gets treated far more favourably in the narrative than comparable characters like Celesto.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

In the Deeganverse the invention of the bendy straw comes before the pen.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Yes let's appoint the master name giver position to the guy who named himself "Snout".

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's annoying because there are some very obvious reasons a school of magic based on the written word might be careful with their true names which could go to some interesting places and instead we've got this throwaway bullshit.

Unless the Ink Witch is blatantly lying to Snout but this isn't that kind of story.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Szark's kink is violent murder so he's particular about the bodily fluids he's turned on by. Entrails, yes; vomit, hell no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Given Snout's background is that he voluntarily chose to live like a hermit in the middle of the murderous wilderness you would think he'd have a higher value for his own personal space.