Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
mookie took the wrong ideas from The Shape of Water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
arudak will return with a fake moustache

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
all these pages later I'm still just stuck on his name being Snout

it'd be like a Megatokyo character named Sidemouth, or a Ctrl Alt Del character named BU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
my new webcomic starring Badly Drawn Feet and his harem of girlfriends: Inconsistent Boobs, Fisheyes and the Impossible Spine

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I cast mordenkainen's self-posting note

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
this makes almost twice what I do on patreon and today, dealing with a bunch of money related problems, I am kind of bitter about it

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

uh-uh, Cicero?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

RoboRodent posted:

You know, I had to cut off a friend of mine after he texted me asking to come over and platonically cuddle in his bed with him (while he was, for complicated reasons, temporarily separated from his wife) and he couldn't understand why I was so upset by this.

I don't think he's Mookie, but jesus why is there more than one dude like that.

while it's a small sample size* every dude I've known like that was also borderline to outright predatory, and the soft platonic cinnamon bun act was a cover for some fuuucked up thought processes and behavior

*two, I've known two dudes like that

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Sure, but even if he's blaming poor booth sales of his book on that, he has to be looking at the comments/likes he gets on his tweets. He has to be looking at how much his Patreon is pulling in. It's obvious that there just aren't that many fans. Does he think that there's this huge group of people who like Dominic Deegan but somehow don't have a twitter and don't look at his website at all? That's the only way he could possibly think he has any large or even medium amount of interest in his comic with the amount of interaction he's getting.

edit: I'm dumb but maybe he has some arbitrary "I want to be able to say I published X number of books" thing

my other guess is a seeecret discord

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The comic has the shape and feel of a rough draft.

Mookie insists on his improv "see where the story goes" style, but he never edits and makes that the released version so we see every idea as he has it. Meanwhile plenty of writers set out without a detailed outline or the story will shift in their hand, but then they go back and revise once they've figured out what it is they're writing. Even improv theater has a thing where they'll do an improv many times to refine it and make the bit tighter- they still don't script it but they like, keep running through and improving it as they get more an idea of what the thing is.

Here he's locked himself in. No revisions, no improvements, just the first thing that pops into his head is the story.

And like I'm not even convinced you can't tell a story this way- but his ideas are just too dull and he gets bored too easily and never runs with anything. He won't pick up a thread and run with it.

I would almost bet money he approaches writing webcomics the way one approaches DMing a tabletop game--and I say this based on both how he writes and what he writes

A DM doesn't want to make too many concrete, long-term "this is definitely what will happen later" plans because they can be derailed by the players, and even a boring plot setup can become something personal and exciting because the players get invested in their own characters, and pull threads you don't expect them to pull, and ask questions you don't have answers for so you have to make a bunch of poo poo up as you go along and it becomes its own unique thing. DMing is very much like improv storytelling and world building, with some DMs being way more elaborate in their research and prep while other DMs fly by the seat of their pants. Both can be great DMs. That's not a problem in itself--unless you're writing both the DM and the characters, and can't think of anything fun or exciting the players would do, or your characters are just as boring as your setting, or you can't think from any perspective but yours so it's like watching Mookie DM for a party of Mookies. He's waiting for some bolt of inspiration that will suddenly drive his cast and put him in the player mindset and it ain't happening. Characters can take a life of their own in a writer's head, but sometimes they don't. These ain't.

what I'm saying is Mookie's writing would be better (not necessarily good, but better more entertaining) if he did one of them there interactive audience participation comics, like a Problem Sleuth or an Awful Hospital

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 14, 2021

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
The Melancholy of Dominic Deegan gets its Endless Eight arc

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
"challenging myself as a comic creator"

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
but that shape is not the gate, it is only the first step

step two is drawing the rest of the spiral (???)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
what if Mookie's dreams are just ... like that

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I'm mentally ill and having one of my old lovely webcomics criticized by a roving band of goons was what originally drew me to SA

also one of the contributing factors to me actually improving, as both an artist and a writer

Mookie refusing to hear criticism doesn't mean people are obligated to stop criticizing him

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
"oracle who also has ridiculous destructive power" could make sense if like, in the future he sees magic is wide spread and EVERYONE can throw around insane amounts of poo poo so he's like, stealing black magic secrets from a future post-magic-awakening society

but then he has to try and secure that future so as not to magically paradox himself out of existence

you could even do something cool with the reverse idea, someone who has arcane psychometry and can thus touch a faded tome in a museum and it's like he's reading the original text, gaining knowledge thought lost to time, or touch a wand and have a vision of how it was originally used so he can kind of duplicate the motions without really grasping the fundamentals

or he just gets mad and explodes I guess, gently caress

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
a character snapping under the pressure of everyday life while also being a god of war who faces hell in their off time isn't even awful in itself, as long as you play up the fact that it's irrational or founded in the dichotomy between those two lives

like, I can stand in front of a crowd and deliver a pre-written speech because that's an environment I have control in, I can do something life-threatening of my own volition and shrug it off like it's NBD, but then I get antsy standing in long lines or waiting in traffic because I have real brain problems. That's not even hyperbole, I mean I've literally had panic attacks standing in line at a convenience store but I was entirely calm when I almost broke my neck learning to do pro wrassling. But those are depths and nuances of humanity and the nature of anxiety that would need to be explored, I suspect, to make a character like that make any narrative sense. Especially if they are also a bomb

classic Spider-man was kind of like that sometimes, where he could be a total smart rear end and feel invincible while fighting the Sinister Six but would turn back into an awkward dweeb when he tried to ask a girl out. Not full of rage per se, but anxious and afraid of failure. I've seen that argued as a show, part of the secret identity aspect like Superman pretending he's Clark Kent, but I really click more with the idea that Pete's more confident when he can put on a mask and literally punch all his problems away vs the "real world" where he's Peter Parker, carefully navigating the social construct, and I can definitely see a throughline from that kind of life dynamic to straight up raging against the machine. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, as someone whose own real life anger problems are rooted in that everyday anxiety, and how most of my coping mechanisms hinge on a diminishing access to escapism

Or it could all be solved by like, taking a vacation I guess

edit: see also soldiers who get comfortable being soldiers and then can't deal with not being soldiers. There's like a dozen angles to hit it from, if one were inclined to actually hit it and not just use it as an excuse for anime things

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 11, 2021

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's ya boi triangle dick

triangle dick hates particle dick

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
and to be fair, who doesn't

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Holy poo poo, I just realized that if you put the hat on it, Snout's dick would look like Andy Capp.

Andy Cack

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
fun fact: blue jeans were patented in 1873

they are anachronistic in DD, but would not be anachronistic in Bram Stoker's Dracula

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
getting smothered by water is called drowning

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
raised by deaf but literate wolves

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Idiot protagonists work if they have other strengths, like kindness (actual kindness, not what Legacy is trying to pass off as kindness), heroism, even just pure strength. Goku isn't very smart but he puts his life on the line to defend Earth and he's strong enough to succeed at it.

There's also the cliche of someone who's not booksmart and seems like an idiot but they have good insight into situations and a point of view others wouldn't consider, and can end up being very wise even if they're not very smart. Or sometimes even a gag of they're so dumb that every once in a while how dumb they are ends up accidentally being incredibly smart.

Another point in Goku's favor is that he's an idiot in every situation but one (and it's fighting) (in a show about fighting)

dude knows the perfect training-to-relaxation ratio for max gains, dude was the only one to deliberately innovate super saiyan in multiple ways, dude can copy a technique after seeing it once; compare and contrast any number of detective type characters who are socially awful but will loving slam dunk any and every murder mystery they stumble across

If Snout was dumb but pretty drat good at whatever the comic was about, it'd at least feel like he's important to the plot, but the comic's not about anything and there is no plot sooo

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

yeah actually they will posted:

He's going ot gently caress her and cum in her. He's going to loving CUM!!!!!

he's gonna cum and suddenly be able to hear

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Bismuth posted:

I think this comic could cause past nuts to suck back in

that scene from Ghostbusters where the containment grid gets shut off and all the ghosts escape, but like, in reverse

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Mutant Headcrab posted:

"Oh! Your Snout hosed a Water/Grass type (in a dream(?)). It looks like he's evolving!"

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Twelve by Pies posted:

One day I too hope to have sex and walk out to all my friends saying "We're so proud of you for having a sex, also the race of the woman you had sex with was great. Let's go fishing."

my friends, minutes after I nut

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
sometimes I have this dream where I open a box of Cracker Jacks and the prize inside is the boy on the front of the box

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Medenmath posted:

The whole make-it-up-as-you-go thing seems like a perfectly fine way to write the first draft of a story, but it so clearly doesn't work the way he wants it to. Like I've heard plenty of writers say they like to start with a basic premise and let the characters take the story wherever it goes, but they aren't usually releasing each page as they write it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's also just bad at it. Like, improvising your plot is obviously never ideal compared to properly planning and writing a story, full stop, but plenty of (off the top of my head) manga artists have had to pull whole arcs and characters out of their asses with far less boring results. I've been writing by the seat of my pants for years now (over a decade, arguably) and the outcome's been mixed--sometimes confusing, often ugly, but Jesus Christ never so meandering or repetitive.

I really, seriously don't know how someone gets stuck in a recap loop without just, I don't know, being entirely devoid of ideas or investment. Even just having characters idly gently caress around should have something to it if the writer has anything so say with or about those characters. Dude's not just carving the path as he goes, he's also doing it with no compass and no destination in mind so he just ends up going in circles.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 1, 2022

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's blurred out because he's transformed his hand into a dick

fist of the north schlong

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
got that there crony virus

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
the shivering hand technique vibrates the air itself, allowing its user to punch a man without even touching him

who are you to doubt its effectiveness, you've no idea how many ninjas it's slain

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
you've no idea how many ninjas it's gotten off

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Mx. posted:

this comic is such a waste of time and digital ink

this thread gets more posts than the general webcomics one does, I'm starting to think the man's some kind of terrible genius

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Dabir posted:

What's that? Drawing out every single word of the sentence as individual panels with minimal differences between them? Why, even at eight panels a day that could drag an exposition scene out for weeks! Genius!

anyone who wants to draw that many hands has earned it, or needs to be arrested

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Bismuth posted:

what if its a huge twist and this thing just bites off snout's head and one of the others becomes the main character?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

plant thing is the new main character as it hunts and devours all the old ones

gimmick infringement

I farted in an elevator I shared with mookie sometime circa 2011 and I am not afraid to go back and finish the job

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
replace the protagonist with "the dog faced gremlin" Rick Steiner

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
going down an infinite series of cliffs, forever

you, dear reader, are the Inverted Sisyphus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Billy Gnosis posted:

Does that mean we in the thread are finally free?

Webspace fame
Snout's main vein
Dude is slain, but the memory remains