Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The largest print font of any book ever. It's like someone printed out an old person's e-reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Honestly Mookie's goofy poorly drawn mutant monsters don't bother me all that much. It's not particularly compelling, but it's like looking at the margins of my math notebook in highschool.

But holy poo poo can Mookie kil the pacing of his stories. Why is Snout even doing any of the things he is? We certainly don't have a good idea why.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Deegangroins back in action. Look at that package

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

This was something that became more noticeable after the original dong page, since there's now a visible disparity between his relatively humble girth and the big ol' crotch bulges drawn afterwards. Is he a grower not a show-er? Then is he constantly hornt while clothed?

Things I don't want to think about that Mookie has led me to thinking about.

Yeah, after seeing Mookie draw full dong it's kind of hard not to view Snout as a Tom of Finland horror.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I would respect Mookie's artistic epiphany more if he had showed Snout jerking off.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Mookie does generate the même pages

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

There it is. It's 2010 again, a time of hope and wonder in the internet.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'd love to see a map of the wild edge where everything is just so together in like a square mile of land. Like what is even happening here, where is this canyon in reference to the lake or the cave or the trees.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Pretty sure Mookie just drew the line of motion looking at the panel. Your eyes go left, then up as you follow the panel where Snout sees the page. So that's what he drew.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 26, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Goddamn Mookie is trying to bore us to death. I don't understand how you can be this bad at pacing a serialized update in 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

On this page we don't even get a single panel where we can see the monster is threatening him before being neutralized. How exciting.

It is actually baffling because this update both fails to move the plot forward in any way, which is awful for a serialized narrative like this, but also would be terrible in the case of someone reading through the comic afterwards, as it's a direct repetition of the same joke they just saw. It's like Mookie doesn't understand the difference between a Looney Toons cartoon and a comic.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

What the gently caress is the action in panel 2 supposed to represent.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

I actually like that Inktober piece, you can see all the familiar features of a snout but he did but some work into giving the face depth. I bet (like a lot of artists) he's so comfortable with 3/4 profile that a lot it's mostly muscle memory and he doesn't hit the usual pitfalls like when he's conveying things like motion, or anatomy.

Speaking of conveying motion:

Bet you didn't expect him to just...fall outta its mouth, did ya? That being said the ink attack was actually clever and not pulled out of nowhere.

Credit where credit is due, this is at least more set-up than a lot of the other poo poo he's pulled out of his rear end over the years.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m willing to accept that ‘Pagefinder’ can inexplicably appear at Snout’s door, and start talking about the plot of the comic as though it’s been reading it, because the whole thing is just a cutesy device for God to guide His own creation through the narrative. It’s literally Terracciano sending little notes to Snout via the power of **authorship** - while maintaining the self-imposed limitation of only pointing to the arbitrary collectibles, so as not to overwhelm the narrative with his omniscience. (This is implicitly why Pagefinder can’t just print the content of the missing pages on itself and spare us a ton of bullshit).

But telling me God’s “ink magic” only works on one side of the paper? That’s a bridge too far.

This recent comic also breaks from the logic by having Pagefinder identify itself as the physical piece of paper, when it previously self-identified as the spell (i.e. as the free-floating disembodied perspective capable of communicating via the paper).

This shift only “works” if the vomit glitch is the result of the spectral character’s sudden, shocking embodiment. And in that case, it’s both extremely poorly conveyed and (like the paper being one-sided) something that Snout couldn’t possibly know.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this and you're right, the spell went from being an abstract force to a scroll datapad AI. It is now in the paper, and also has like a personality that includes the fear off death. Hard to tell if Mookie just forgot or didn't understand what he was setting up to begin with.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

In its first appearance the spell also apologizes to Snout for getting ink on it, which you wouldn’t expect from what’s essentially a magical .exe file. Think he’s going more for a Fi from Skyward Sword sort of deal.

Sure, but initially it wasn't even clear if the spell chose to manifest on one of the random floating pages that are everywhere in the wild edge apparently. But now it's scared of being eaten, like the paper is its body. It just seems like, to me, a strange choice, since this spell will presumably stop existing when it completed its task.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Literally like Tauriel from Undertale. That's what their faces look like

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

Snout...come on, you know you can't use context clues here? And it sounds like it's about to be revealed that the pagefinder spell is something more, but I can't think of what it could be that would have any meaning to the audience...unless...

A) List not in alphabetical order

B) Love my geography books that are just big lists of place names (Aberthast Cathedral is a region apparently) with no page numbers or anything that would indicate it's an index

C) standard Deegan nonsense plot exposition. It's a twist! I'm sure every other spell in there mentions whether or not it can talk too.The only reason that inclusion makes sense is because we know this version of the spell talks, but from the description, the normal spell is like a magic HUD which no one would assume has an intelligence behind it to talk anyway. It's like specifying that a compass cannot communicate in any other language than pointing arrows.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 15, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Is this implying that the spell spooged on him multiple times intentionally?

Also literally the laziest twist "Haha, everything in the narrative so far has been a lie, you dunce. No, I didn't include any clues or foreshadowing, that would have given it away!"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

This also makes the whole "scared of being eaten" thing even weirder

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Going along with the getting eaten thing, of this is just someone communicating through a modified spell, why is it like they are inhabiting the piece of paper. Like Snout had to turn the paper so it could "see" the book entry. I know, it's magic so whatever, but it's just so weird as an idea. It just brings up so many weird implications that I know Mookie hasn't thought about and doesn't care about.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

A special glue to do what exactly.

Also I was not prepared for the twist of Snout simply not caring that the spell was lying to him and continuing on regardless. Rendering the twist reveal totally boring and pointless, as it has not changed his motivation in the slightest. I legitimately don't understand how Mookie could right this, even without planning ahead, and not see that it totally ruins the previous page.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

To fix the book, because... It's a... Special book? And Snout knows this because...

Oh, right, because Mookie knows it.

Right but fix the book how? Can it fix blood (?)stains, can it fix enormous holes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Libra posted:

Impalement on a big goofy spike wouldn't even damage a paper irreparably, you'd just end up with a flappy tear that you can just fold back into place.

Apparently tape is only made of poisonous tree sap in the Deeganvoid.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 21, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm trying not to be cynical, but the witch thing feels like less of a cutesy theme now and more of a crutch of only having to learn how to draw one body shape.

C'mon Mookie, draw a plantain sorcerer with full dong. That's true artistic genius.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

Ok I think it should be said that the idea of running gag isn’t to use the same jokes a handful of pages apart, and the rule of thirds doesn’t mean you make the exact same joke each time. The pages where he does this are excruciating

I know this has always been a problem with Mookie, but the wild tonal inconsistency is giving me whiplash. This is a poorly paced mystery-ish plot mixed with moments of intense danger and these Looney Tunes sight gags.

I know this is a result of no planning, but he doesn't even read the last page before deciding to put something down on paper.

I swear all the stupid nerds who loved the original Deegan because he was a genius suffering among the normies unleashed a terrible crime on the world by giving Mookie validation for all this.

Also that face in panel 3

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

He probably is, but more because Mookie likely doesn't realize deaf people can learn to talk, they just can't hear themselves talk, which produces a certain "accent."

If Mookie were competent, the idea of making his main character deaf as a "challenge" would imply making him mute as well because the point would be to convey action and plot without words. Snout's deafness is definitely not a character trait that is really relevant to the story or the struggles he faces in any way, so this really isn't a story about a deaf character, or a story with a deaf protagonist, but a story with deafness as a plot contrivance to justify not using speech. But instead we have the signs, and journal entries. He immediately got bored and undermined his own premise.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 24, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Again, all that for some glue to fix a page that is still legible and that glue wouldn't fix anyway.

Mookie is the worst kind of DM.

"Uh yeah, you find a book... no you can't read it, it's stained and ripped, you have to get glue to fix it. It's magic glue, that's why it fixes stains!"

Like objectively unless this glue reverses time, it's not going to help what's on those pages. He doesn't even have the last 2. But now's the time to hunt yet another violently murderous plant, like the giant Audrey monsters that the "vegetarian" orcs hunted.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Nice of it to let go of his leg as well

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's kind of worse than nothing, because of the whiplash and failure to connect. Why is this horrible monster surrounded by signs supposed to terrify us, while the previous monster was a series of poorly-rendered physical gags? The lack of consistency makes this baffling rather than genuine, combined with the fact that this could as easily have been the plot beat in the blood horror sequence and that would have spared us some agonizingly uninteresting sight gags.

Yeah, look at Snout's face. That's genuine terror. This is like having Wile E. Coyote look horrified after the roadrunner tricks him off a cliff. Even without planning, you think Mookie would be able to read the tone of the last few comics and make things cohere a little bit

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Also his tail is gross in the last panel.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

I'm just relieved we're spared 2 weeks of him trying to Mr.Magoo some berries from a monster.

I love that these random flora are just off panel all the time. They just exist for long enough to have the pointless scene occur, and poof off into the void of non-existence again.

I know authors can get stuck in too much world-building at the expense of stories, but Mookie would really benifit from sketching out a map of Snout's journey. Right now the wild edge is pretty loving boring considering it's made up of nothing but empty grasslands with singular bushes growing up out of it, a library and a doom canyon.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

This is surely a story that had to be told. Inconsistently drawn rubbery dog person fights plants for library book. A decade in the making

Thank god Mookie decided to do this anyway after missing the stretch goal.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 5, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

So last time was he just going to bleed this sentient tree for its sap. Didn't even bother saying hello Larry time. Don't blame the tree, Snout is a dick

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I'm not clear on how getting to the skori tree protects him from it's murderous branches

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Snout's not a bumbling fool though. He's not surviving by panic and blind luck, he's just a kick-rear end acrobat when the plot requires it. In his first meeting with the Skori tree, he avoids the spines by what look a like a 6 foot vertical leap. Even with the worm thing, he pulled some wirefu level poo poo. He didn't even have a scratch or tear on his clothes.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 13, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Didn't the pagemaster bring him to the tree because it had one of the last pages? Or did it bring him here to get the sap and just decided not to get the last two pages

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

YF-23 posted:

It had the next page, which is shown at the bottom there. I also got mixed up for a bit and forgot that the last page in that panel is new.

Ok so panel 1 is getting new page, panel 2 is getting sap, and panel 3 is back at cave. That's really hard to intuit from the art itself. It's only really thinking about it that makes it clear.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah apparently the spaceship blew up Snout's house over the 1st sentence to a 3rd grade history essay

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Who What Now posted:

It helped that DD was updated daily Monday through Friday, which gave a more consistent stream of poo poo to mock.

I don't think DD ever was as low-stakes as the stuff that's happening now. Even their stupid cruise around the world at least had groin-punching dwarf.

There's also something sort of comic about Mookie being so obsessed with ink and writing and pages. It's like we're watching an Oscar nominee about Hollywood, it's self-referential to the point of ridiculousness. And it makes everything sort of bog down because it makes no sense why Snout would care about these pages. But Mookie's brain is all on how cool writing and drawing are, so snout has to have this weird obsession that makes no sense for his character, what little of it there is

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

imagine a comic book paced like this. So little happens page to page, except for those pages when all the tension resolved instantly.