Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh I don't know about that, most anime series that are comparable to DD have the protagonist go through training arcs and work hard to become stronger, sometimes they're given a bullshit magic power from nowhere but not usually. Like sure, Goku reached Super Saiyan just because he was mad enough to do it, but later on when it isn't strong enough to defeat Cell, he has to train for a year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to get stronger.

Dominc Deegan has none of that. Even in the War on Hell arc Dominic just went "I can be stronger" and was, like magic, without having to do anything. That almost never happens in anime.

While Dragon Ball is similar in terms of intended demo being a shonen, structurally, DD has little resemblance to it. As touched on in the original threads, DD is modeled more explicitly after and lifts the basics of specific arcs from shows like "Slayers." I haven't seen it myself, but from skimming the wiki page, you can see the source of many setting elements I had assumed came from final fantasy.

Mookie just copies the art from cheap anime, not the writing. If he did, like pretty much any change, it would probably make the comic less terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

skeleton warrior posted:

The completely different line weights between the foreground and the background are really throwing me, like it’s two separate drawings with the foreground hastily c&ped over a background

Oh god, that’s exactly what it is, isn’t it?

Yep. He didn't add a foreground, just didn't draw some weeds. This is also why the most recent comic has part of a black border on the right for that panel but not the left:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Bismuth posted:

I really appreciate that mookie cant figure out how to really emote with snout's face at all, he always just looks vaguely concerned/confused. Also he really does look like hes hovering over the ground in a squat

An inevitable side effect as Mookie is copying Snout and other elements from old comics more and more often.

I cannot get over how Mookie has drawn Snout making GBS threads in a field and seems oblivious to this either. The body doesn't even seem recycled. Could he really not find a reference photo of someone sitting on a hill?

That decolorized background also looks like poo poo. It's like an old video game when they use a photograph as a painting or something but it's all 16 bit looking. It looks like a big field with bales of hay in it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Libra posted:

He did roleplay and the other players hated his character, a proto Dominic Deegan. So they kicked him out and Mookie started a comic.
I think that's how it went anyway.

I guess DD really is just someone playing dungeons and dragons by themselves, huh?
Yes, that is correct.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

His patreon seems to have stalled out and hit its ceiling at 1.2k/mo, which isn't really livable for a family... But knowing how little effort he puts into the comic, it's easily possible he has a day job too (if he's even the main breadwinner, which I'm not going to try and dive into).

Maybe he makes a decent amount off of sales of DD and Star Power books? I really doubt it, but it's SOMETHING. I assume he made most of his money off the con scene, and, well, we all know what happened there.

Mookie does not to my knowledge have a day job. Without getting into detail, we know from the blog Mrs. Mookie is indeed the sole breadwinner in their household.

He does not. As he discussed in the old days of the blog, like many similar individuals such as J.F. Bibeau, his spiritual twin, going to cons would at best be a break even venture for him and would more often be a loss of a few hundred bucks with travel, accommodation, food, etc. He only ever went to stroke his ego by doing the "writing memorable heroes and villains" panel and such. Even at the height of his popularity it was never a serious money maker. I can't imagine that he's suddenly making more from his output now.

Zereth posted:

I believe he is on record as like, wanting to be surprised at where the story goes. So he doesn't plan ahead.
Yes, one of his craft essays was about this. Also, during "Star Power," his artist begged him to outline in advance so he'd know basic things like what he was going to need to draw for the next story arc. Mookie did it for one arc and then complained it was too much work and that he didn't feel surprised as he was writing anymore so stopped.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I hate this comic.

In addition to the points you've made, that final comic is extra hilarious. Due to Mookie's refusal to vary from his 2x4 grid of tiny boxes for weekday strips and inexplicable decision to stand Melna in front of an identical vertically striped door to the one in Dominic's house, the reader has this momentary hiccup thinking she has stepped into the scene to scold Dominic. We then realize apparently we've skipped to later that morning while Luna is at work which still doesn't really work because Melna is still reacting to Dominic's speech balloon in panel 2.

I think it's already come up in the thread, but drawing wireframes over the harem of partially disarticulated Luna clones is extremely funny.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dominic has the power to make sure everyone who takes his class comes away from it having learned the absolute most they possibly could. He could use his second sight to present information in a way that his students would best be able to absorb it. With so few (presumably) high-level students, he has absolutely no reason not to present them with individualized learning plans.

Instead he plays Second Sight gatekeeper and gently caress all those lazy students who drop his course because they're just not dedicated enough. He should be getting in trouble with the school board or whatever because everyone who passes his class passes with an 'A;' not because 50% of the people who take it fail instantly before classes ever begin.
I think it's supposed to be him lusting after her clothes with his wife wearing them, but that isn't significantly better.
Mookie could've had Dominic say that half of the class was going to drop the class for other reasons and he knew this from his second sight if Mookie wanted to keep his hands clean, but apparently not.

You can't tell because Mookie can't draw more than one body type. (He can't draw that one body type either, but that's another problem)

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Holy poo poo.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Definitely not looking forward to the reread reaching Facebath era Greg.
I kind of am since it's one of the few arcs which is content to be merely dumb and bad instead of actively hateful, offensive, and disgusting. At least to the best of my recollection, there may well be creepy misogynistic garbage in there too that I forgot about.

Zerilan posted:

I know they fight a bit over Greg's personality/music taste change, but not sure if she dumps him. The main person who gets dumped in the comic is Jayden, who pretty much exists to suffer whenever the plot glances in her direction.
Greg is a Mookie so his perfect anime waifu is not capable of dumping him.

Mors Rattus posted:

Did Greg get dumped before Facebath or did Pam just stop existing?
By that point, I think Dominic was traveling to the Callanian capital and other places more often so the comic spent less time in the city Pam is mayor of so gradually forgot about her.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Greg is totally a smug dick towards Pam in that arc but it's kind of a backseat thing iirc. Main things I remember from that arc is Greg using having seen people around him get mutilated as points towards his metal cred, Mookie still loving "X from above" "jokes" as much as the LICD guy does, and his David Willis level prudishness towards any sort of drunken revelry.

Definitely still less hateful than like: Snowsong, Shadow of Siegfried, Oracle Hunter, or Nimmel House iirc.

I'm sure you're right. I just haven't read that arc in a very long time.

Yeah, that's all I meant.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Remember how Jayden took a vow of silence or something and hadn't spoken for ages and then when she was about to say something sweet and meaningful after Dominic and Luna got married Greg interrupted her so he could be "metal"?
Who could forget?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Yeah, it's a good example of current-gen sues versus those from an earlier generation. Dominic may have been a smug rear end in a top hat all the time, but at least he was a powerful omniscient wizard. You can see in the abstract why Mookie would want to be a character like this. Characters like Snout, a fairly textbook anti-sue (wait people called Dominic a sue because he was powerful? Snout will be totally useless!) is still a sue because while Mookie has dispensed with all theoretically enviable qualities like being smart and rich and being able to shoot lasers out of his eyes, everyone and everything in the whole universe still revolves around Snout and exists solely to serve him either by providing naked cuddles or theoretically extracting sympathy from the reader when they make mildly critical comments towards him.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Snout saw beardy's mean note about him, went into the field for a poo poo, wandered through the void all night, then came back at sunrise while stealthily avoiding everyone in the tower despite being deaf so he couldn't hear them coming if they weren't in his immediate eyeline, then went to bed and Arudak just somehow knew he'd returned and passed him a note.

What was the point of him leaving at all? Just have Arudak pass him a note as soon as he runs off crying.

I can't get over how much time Snout spends sleeping. It's insane.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Kavak posted:

Is it touching the poop to make someone go back to when the latest mopeathon started and see if Mookie got any particularly hateful tweets, mild criticism, or neutral comments?

No. Mookie blocks and reports anything but fawning praise and even that's been very thin on the ground since Legacy started. The last time someone was the slightest bit critical of him was far before Snout's latest pity jerkoff session started. While this is probably the ultimate explanation, it could also just be Mookie repeating himself in a comic because he hasn't thought of anything new rather than miss or skip an update until he can think of something interesting to put in the comic.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

What color is Snout? Does he have a normal human skin tone or does he have some kind of fantasy color? Are his "scales" the same color as the rest of him?

I hope he's something obnoxious like highlighter yellow.

*EDIT*: I just looked back and this comic has gone on for two loving years?

We don't explicitly know the answer to this question since Mookie has grown too lazy to color even once a week and has alienated anyone willing to do paid art or fanart of his lovely characters, but assuming he is roughly similar in coloring to Bort, he would be a muted olive drab green and have colorful patches of scales in bright red and blue.

And yet nothing has happened.

EDIT:

oriongates posted:

They haven't even bothered to translate the note he handed snout, the one that was, presumably, actually insulting. Because the stuff Snout actually read was not worth this much moping. It was definitely rude...but none of it was actually insulting: it was just a list of the supernatural or significant abilities that snout doesn't have...that most people don't have, for that matter. All beard-orc actually said was "Snout has no superhuman abilities, cannot dig underground, cannot use magic and cannot fly." This is true of almost everyone! It was phrased in a condescending manner but none of it is actually claiming that Snout is deficient in any way. He didn't claim that snout was stupid, or clumsy or weak...he didn't even harp on Snout's actual disabilities.

Presumably, the note that got Ink Witch shouty contained actual insults but no one has actually told Snout what that said! At this point Sunflower has insulted snout more with his backhanded compliment than beard-orc has.
I think after Snout taught himself to read Orcish in one night (quick: how long has Snout been at Arudak's house?) and we saw the books full of gibberish be transformed into English, from that point forward when he sees paper that is in the universe of the comic written in Orcish, it is presented to us the reader as English.

I believe when he snuck a peek at beardy's journal he was in fact reading the same text as the note he handed Snout because he just slotted it back into his notebook and/or had his scribe write that stuff down. But now that he can read his language, so can we the audience.

I know in a vacuum what I'm saying is stupid and doesn't make sense, but that's why I think it's the most probably explanation here.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 4, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

You're right. I remembered the order of events wrong and didn't want to go back and check because this comic is boring. Good catch.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why is everyone treating him like a hero when he didn't do anything

Because he's Mookie.

Arudak's contextually inappropriate bedroom eyes have reappeared, I see.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

oriongates posted:

The thing on Snout's plate looks disturbingly like his own tail.

What do you think it's supposed to be? In a vacuum, I'd say it's a grilled sausage, but Snout, being Mookie, is vegan so that's obviously impossible. It looks like an actual turd. Alongside a dinner roll and some peas with a glass of milk. Normal breakfast food. It looks like the plate of food Jon Arbuckle is always pictured with: 4 slices of meat loaf, a scoop of mashed potatoes with butter, and peas.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Nielen's plan is incredibly dumb, "I just happened to be hiding near your significant other with a magical recording device in my hand when they said something damning." At least in Homer Badman when Groundskeeper Willie just happened to be hiding in the bushes recording Homer it was done as a joke.

Do we ever find out why Nielen made Runcible's wife divorce him? Was it just so he could have sex with her?

I don't think it's explored any further. Given Mookie's misogyny, that's a plausible motivation. It could also be payback for how badly Runcible treats him regularly throwing fireballs at him and such. Unsurprisingly, there is no HR department at Miranda's school.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Happy Landfill posted:

How many times does she have to give him that...look?

Eugh, this comic is so creepy. Why does everyone in Snout's harem have to look at him in such a sexual way? To protect myself, i'm going to pretend Snout cut a rancid fart he doesn't know makes any noise due to his deafness between panel 1 and 2 to explain inkwich's face in panels 2 and 3.

As to the content this is... breathtaking. There's not getting to the fireworks factory and then there's starting in the fireworks factory and instead of shooting fireworks at each other, you gear up to go to a different fireworks factory.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Libra posted:

There is absolutely no way it's been two years.

It's been two years since the Legacy of Dominic Deegan [...]

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Nighthand posted:

The library brochure clearly says all union library cards are accepted. Obviously, this means that it's a highly exclusive library that you can only access if you have a library card, and that the library will not issue new cards. This becomes a problem when we discover that Bad Orc Man stole Snout's library card to gain access to this coveted and exclusive... library.
Mookie's going to be "clever," and have Snout go to the library and produce his library card from his oshkosh b'gosh, forgetting entirely that Thelonious still has it. Then the librarian will say the mild edge is not in the union and he has to get a library card from here.

He will then immediately just fill out the form and get a union library card with no difficulty, making the whole exercise pointless.

Zereth posted:

I don't think I've ever been to a library that checked your card at any time other than when you were checking out books. So like, Snout can just go read the book at the library.

EDIT: copy relevant passages on the Fantasy Xerox Machine or something.

"Hey there Snout. Snout and about. In and Snout. Snouterator. Makin' copies. My main mongrelman."

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Billy Gnosis posted:

This explains so much about this comic never changing
This is pure Mookie.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

METAL FANS LIKE THEIR MUSIC STALE AND REPETITIVE. HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THIS. YOU CRETIN. YOU ABSOLUTE IMBECILE.

Also who the gently caress reads music reviews anymore, lol. It's got to be just people looking for things to get mad at.

Lol, where did he even find a music review, much less a review of a whole album? Even if you're a 40+ year old man like Mookie who pays for music, who buys whole albums? Do they even make whole albums anymore? I thought musicians just released singles every so often because that's how people have been buying stuff for the last 20 years.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Well, at least we bypassed two weeks of him walking there.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

Are there any vegetarians in the comic? Does mookie even know "ethical frameworks around food consumption" are things that exist?
When Mookie himself becomes vegetarian (later vegan) Dominic eventually follows suit and talks about it occasionally.

Beelzebufo posted:

Hold on for the next arc.

The next arc is Snowsong. This arc is stupid relationship drama, but the next arc is still probably the dumbest narrative ever put to paper.
I cannot wait. This is the arc that turned the last of his fans from the original deegan forum against him with its abject terrible quality.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway the point is I don't understand the need for "sentient vegetables creatures" because having tusks doesn't imply meat eating. If it were any other comic I'd assume we're supposed to view that guy as an idiot for thinking big tusks are the same as fangs and that they're used to hunt prey, but this is Mookie and I genuinely can't think of any other reason why he'd have sentient vegetable creatures except if he genuinely thinks that tusks are meant for eating meat.
We are meant to think that guy's an idiot. He's one of the random straw racists Mookie is so fond of. As for the vegetabeasts:

1 Mookie wants to show his stock noble savage orcs as tough, ferocious warriors.
2 Mookie also wants them to never be portrayed as the aggressors in a conflict; just the victims of hate crimes from the racist humans
3 Mookie also does not want to show them feuding amongst themselves for status
4 Mookie has arbitrarily decided they are obligate herbivores though he calls them "vegetarians" half the time because he's too stupid to know what words mean

How can he square this circle?

Simply have the orcs hunt and kill animals that are made of plant matter. Done.

quote:

I know orcs are meant to be Native American stereotypes but even those stereotypes had stuff like "The Native Americans find nature sacred and so use every part of the buffalo to ensure nothing is wasted," like they aren't stereotyped as vegetarians" so I can't figure out why he'd be opposed to orcs hunting meat. Unless it's some sort of "But these orcs are so gentle and kind that they can't even hunt animals because they're so bleeding heart" but then having them hunt sentient plant creatures completely destroys that so that can't be it either!
No, that's what it is. Mookie is just not smart enough to understand that he's contradicting himself.

Beelzebufo posted:

Again, it's almost impossible to believe he didn't trace this. Maybe it's a composite of several images, but there has to be some image that lines up pretty closely with the foreground.

I hate how they become generic office block buldings in the distance.
He 100% traced this, but like with the others, I personally don't feel like it's worth the effort of tracking down the source. I like how the second they cross the second block they go from being vaguely defined to being the symbols on a walk/don't walk sign and then just balls (which may or may not roll together at the end of the yellow brick road to make up a larger ball)

Bismuth posted:

If the plant creatures are sentient that how is that functionally different from eating animals?

Also how the hell does match any of the exterior shots of this city so far? The long shot seemed to show a ton of tightly packed rounded buildings but this is enormously spaced out buildings with combovers
It's not.

They don't. What's up with those giant lovely looking roofs the buildings in the foreground all have which predictably disappear halfway up the image? In a normal comic, I'd assume they signified something but I'm not holding my breath here.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Why did they bring corpsewife?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Trapezium Dave posted:

Halflings in original Deegan live in the tourist trap of Olde Tucklebrook Island. As for the answer to "is location X anywhere near location Y", best of luck figuring that out. I don't think there ever was a map of the Deeganverse.

Yeah they just appear once in 5-10 strips during the year-long honeymoon arc. Their racial traits are "don't call me short," being craft beer snobs and having huge tits. There is no map of Deeganland.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

amigolupus posted:

It's similar to how Bee manhandled Snout to stop him from running toward the breakfast spread, or Daxethar flicking Snout's ears to get his attention. There are better ways to get a deaf person's attention, but Mookie chooses the ones that treat Snout in an ableist manner instead.

It was supposed to be Daxethar (weird-facial hair jerk orc)'s orcling assistant. What's confusing is that this supposedly unrelated orcling looks a lot like Veth, so it only highlights how much of this is a time-waster from Snout getting whatever info from Veth.

Wait, if this orkling isn't Veth or Bee, who is it? Some third guy who lives in the town where the library is? Is Daxethar sending word through him? How'd he know where Snout would be?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean that's pretty much it. It's a very posable spiderman figurine that got really popular a few years ago with comic artists and animators because it works better than the wooden mannequins for their purposes. I don't know if that exact model is still made, but you can find them on eBay and such.

I think it's this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SpiderMan-...4.m46890.l49286
Neat!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Although Terracciano isn't very consistent, he tends to draw Snout with no hips or rear end. The legs are usually too short, and Snout often looks like he's been compressed horizontally: extremely thin, rod-like limbs, small shoulders, etc. (He tends to have childlike proportions (e.g. a big head).)

The fashion design, such as it is, is also quite 'vertical' and emphasizes the torso - especially the baggy, Xtra-Large jockstrap that droops down way lower than his junk should be.

Jar Jar!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The thing to remember is that Mookie isn't cargo culting Tolkien or even Dungeons and Dragons. He's cargo culting, like, Final Fantasy and Slayers and Record of Lodoss War and poo poo.
I mean I'm trying to remember, other than Dungeons and Dragons has Mookie ever even referenced (as in mentioned by name) or talked about works of western fantasy? We know he reads western comic books and besides Snowsong here and Starpower just being the Green Lantern Corps/Nova Corps, I recall some of the alien Archmagi are just straight up stolen designs from GL, but yeah. I can't recall if Mookie ever mentions like having read Wheel of Time or Ice and Fire or Lord of the Rings or anything like that.

If he has consumed those products or works like those, he has not talked about it in the blog while writing oldgan or newgan. Since he used the blog to talk about such minor inanities as what he was having for lunch that day or providing a bulleted pull list of the comics he was reading every Wednesday, I doubt he's read them.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Why does Mookie hide the author's first name? Does he think we forgot who Jacob was? Or is it a fakeout and it's a descendant of the Deegans who isn't Jacob. I wonder if Jacob's still alive 200 years later. He could be since he's a necromancer.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Acibek's principle is a metamagic feat.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

YF-23 posted:

RIght, this chapter is called... The Library Card, right? We still haven't seen the card get any play in this breakneck narrative.

I mean Snout already has a library card. He gave it to Thelonious, but Mookie forgot about that and it doesn't look like Snout needed to present it to get that big pile of books.

I can't wait for the next arc of oldgan. It's definitely one of the worst.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It's worse than I remembered.

The misogyny stands on its own, but another somewhat prominent aspect that is lost in the shuffle of greater issues is that stupid mask. What is the point of Siegfried wearing a mask that covers his whole face (and he's wearing different clothes and isn't speaking) if everyone who he encounters "somehow knows" that it's him? I know metatextually it's for Mookie to dehumanize Siegfried for the crime of being a filthy JOCK/sexhaver but there is no useful in-story reason for this. There's no fakeout where the mask gets ripped off and it's 3 short demons standing on each others' shoulders or anything, so it's just pointless and dumb.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

BSS:Batman's Scrappy Sidekick > Dominic Deegan: He doesn't want nuance.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

So Mookie just forgot Snout doesn't have his library card. I don't know why I expected anything different.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

a cartoon duck posted:

wasn't it even worse and snout's mom's lover pushed her out a window or something stupid like that? but yes, in dominic deegan a man who loves murdering women is more deserving of redemption than a woman who cheated on her boyfriend once

Stunt's mother fled from her abusive husband (who practices some more conservative religion to make Luanians look better. It was never mentioned prior to this and is never mentioned again) to the arms of her lover Lizzie. Stunt caught them sitting together on the bed with four feet on the ground fully clothed, his misogyny went into maximum overdrive and he came at Lizzie with a knife but slipped on a banana peel and fatally stabbed his mother in the tits which inflated and gushed blood everywhere. She hung on long enough to verbally say she didn't blame him and none of this was his fault (of course) and then perished. I think Stunt went out the window to escape before the dad came back, but I don't remember anyone being thrown out a window. We'll see soon enough though since I think we finish this arc, then it's Nimmel House, and then Eldariat to Die. .

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Now the wild edge library being in the middle of nowhere makes even less sense, even as a gag. Why wouldn't it be at Mongreltown?

Because Mookie didn't make up Mongreltown til later.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 9, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Eldariat To Die is a long long way away. It's chapter 37, we're currently in chapter 20, and some of those chapters are stupidly long. Maltak was an entire year.

My mistake. I didn't check because I like to be surprised.

MiracleFlare posted:

People more eloquent than me have already commented on this page so all I can say is :lmao:

iirc It was Lizzy who went out the window, because as soon as the woman she was with gets stabbed she decides she wants to be nowhere near the scene of a murder and flees while everyone is screaming. This of course makes her a Bad Woman and she also joins Jayden in the convent where Bad Women go to repent. I think the end of Stunt's character arc is going to talk with her off-screen, because like with Jayden women's backstories exist only for men's development.

That definitely sounds right. I think he writes her a letter once he retires from the comic to be a park ranger. We'll see eventually.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Breetai posted:

Wasn't the Big Bad Unknowable Horror at the end of the original DD basically killed by a bad-guy/shades-of-grey character in what would in any other story be essentially a redemptive self-sacrifice and then from the panel after he dies to the end nothing is mentioned of him again? Or am I grossly misremembering?

No, that's exactly what happens.

Did anyone notice there's a new blog post? It's mostly pleasantries, but the following stands out:

Mookie posted:

"[...] I’m not done yet. In fact, I feel like The Legacy is only really just getting started! The last two years have been focused on establishing Snout as a new protagonist, and dropping hints about the way the world has changed since the Oracle for Hire years. Now that you’re all more familiar with Snout, the Ink Witch, and Arudak, I feel like it’s time to really get into the mystery of Dominic’s legacy. I’m excited to show you what Snout has yet to discover."

Reading this, I feel like I'm watching some lovely fantasy adventure show and they just finished beating a tough monster, then the camera pans back and reveals it was the baby one and its mother is here to kick the poo poo out of them.

What bullshit is "establishing Snout." As FuegoFish said about a different lovely comic, if you don't mention anything that has happened in the comic, his physical appearance, or that he is deaf, you can't say poo poo about Snout.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 13, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

I think this is the first I’m hearing that Pam became queen after the Deegan Coup. I wonder how that looked to random citizens who, from their perspective, saw their democratically elected monarch violently toppled by a family of Ubermages who proceeded to place all their closest friends and family into positions of power.
It's the first that it's been mentioned. It was not in Deegan Classic. As mentioned in Snowsong, she was basically relegated to background extra status after this and never did anything of consequence again.

I'm sure that they said it was a real good thing Dominic did and acted like they thought it too, because if he suspected otherwise, he would send them to the cornfield like he did with their beloved King Dave.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was around for the end of Deegan and I only remember it vaguely, it'll be a while before we get to it in the retrospect. I do remember a bunch of characters flying at King Dave's castle for a huge anime style final battle, I don't know if Dominic did a mass SEE THE TRUTH on the townspeople, or if King Dave just loudly announced his evil villain status because he thought he was far too powerful to be stopped, or if the Beast just appeared and showed the townspeople that their king was serviing an evil spaghetti eyeball.

I'm sure that what actually happened is far stupider than what I'm thinking though.
The unrestricted free press that the horrible tyrant Dave allowed to operate in his territory was already openly critical of him and began intimating that he was bargaining with demons from hell prior to Dominic killing him with his last-ever casting of "gently caress YOU SEE THE TRUTH." So presumably for John Q. Public, they instantly changed their mind the second they saw that Deegan-approved article published in the newspaper after he butted heads with the beast-infected cattlebasters at the art gallery.

As usual, you're putting more thought into it than Mookie did. I don't think Callanian public reaction to their democratically elected absolute monarch being assassinated was addressed at all.

Best as I can recall, Dominic and co go to Dave's castle, they fight, Celesto does all the work of actually wearing Dave down so he's weakened enough to kill, dies so Dominic can take all the credit, and Dominic cherry taps him with see the truth and also kills the Beast somehow.

Them installing Pam as a puppet dictator is new information, though. That said, it's perfectly in character for the Deegans to continue their nepotism and put a small-town mayor in charge of running the entire kingdom of Callan. I wonder if they bothered with a democratic election or ever allowed one again. I wonder who's ruling Callan now.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Was there even a real reason given why he was even doing the poo poo he did with the spaghetti monster? Dave was already the most powerful mage in existence on top of being a king. He was literally powerful enough that he had the other 5 most powerful mages simultaneously under mind controlling spells for decades.
King Dave, like all the antagonists in Deegan, achieved his status through determination and hard work. He was born a beggar and studied to improve his magic and join the royal knights. At some point, he had a vision where he glimpsed the far realm where the beast lived. This blinded him, but while he was there, he made a deal with the beast to get a huge mana boost in exchange for... actually it's never mentioned. Presumably letting the beast destroy the world. A natural consequence of Mookie ripping off "Full Metal Alchemist" without understanding anything about the story.

Roman Reigns posted:

So uh what happened to ink witch and corpsemom?
They could be wandering around orcville. They could be exploring other areas of the library. They could in fact be sitting at this selfsame table with Snout and will lean in form off panel as though they'd been there the whole time. Since Mookie treats the confines of the panel as what the characters can see, there is no way to know for sure. It may well be months before we see either of them again.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Captain Oblivious posted:

His goal iirc was that there was a whole Sozin's Comet thing going on where magic ebbs and flows and only one race has the lions share of magical power at a time. The cycle was supposed to flow from Callan/Humans to Maltak/The Orcs next, King Dave was a human supremacist who believed that by working with the Beast he could stop the cycle from...cycling, basically. Human supremacy forever.

Oh, yeah, now that you mention it, that sounds right. I think his plan to genocide the orcs was based on the idea that if there were no orcs left, the magic boost would "skip" their turn and cycle back to humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I meant Bumper or Stunt - whichever it was - when they have their ~WILD EDGE~ arc. If I'm not misremembering there's no direct Deegan involvement in that one.

That was Stunt who became a park ranger fighting filthy jock poachers in the mild edge, around the point of the eldariat to die arc. That's about as close to independence from Dominic as any of the secondary Mookies ever get, and it still ends with him giving the magic relic he finds at the end of the adventure to Dominic for safekeeping because... well because he's the prime Mookie, even though it's a holy relic for a church Jayden is a high ranking member in.