Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Joe Slowboat posted:

Not to defend Mookie, but

Then don't.

I like writing fanfic as much as anyone else here, but you know perfectly well that there's no way this is happening.

The ink witch is blind. I know it doesn't make any sense. I'm calling it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

How is ‘she’s blind’ any less fanfic than ‘idk maybe two people can do ink magic’?

It’s not like there being more ink magic will in any way improve this mess, just five more excuses for the kind of float ink drawing he’s clearly into right now.

Oh, please excuse me. I thought you were saying "here's what would happen if this comic weren't completely stupid," not guessing what Mookie will say is actually happening in two weeks. I genuinely do think the next comic will tell us inkwitch is blind despite it making no sense so Mookie can check off another box on his diversity bingo sheet.

He had nails hammered into his eyes, but he saw with magic, letting him do stuff like read and perceive color.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I didn't speculate on it that much but I was guessing probably laziness. Oh, and she "has an aversion to clothes".

"Stop being so clothes-minded." --Dominic Deegan to a 12 year old boy as he gets naked.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

You know, if her clothing was the material for her spells, you think you’d start with the hat. But whatever, she’s not Bayonetta.

This is the way Mookie will shoehorn nudity into this comic. The more she talks in this dialogue-free comic, the smaller her dress will get until Mookie gets to draw her gooch.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

How ridiculous is it that the character who's not named Snout is so much snoutier than Snout in panel 3? I know we're kind of inured to Mookie only being able to draw one face and that face being snoutface, but come on. That's ridiculous. What the hell is going on with her face in panel 3? Like Snout's dicktail, her nose migrates all over her face at weird angles whenever the camera changes angle.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

I can't believe how much no dialogue is happening in this comic. Just all over the place, so much no dialogue.

"Would you describe filling out a survey as dialogue? Checkmate. :smug: " - Mookie, probably.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Who What Now posted:

I actually would, though

Of course you would, because, unlike Mookie, the bulk of your diet is not made up of lead-based paint.

MiracleFlare posted:

Oh, Milov. I remember that name! Wasn't that the guy who destroyed a human church and mauled his girlfriend's face off all because she cheated on him, but it's okay because actually it was just a magical clone (even though he didn't know that) and the real Jayden is fine? And then her story of atoning via religion was hijacked by another dude who kept changing his story about why he killed his own mother?

I actually wonder how Mookie would handle the same plotlines today, or if he'd even do them at all. I want to give the benefit of the doubt and hope he's improved in some way, and at the very least he won't write anything like the Stonewater and Melna arc again. I want to hope that there is even a spark of self-awareness and he wouldn't stoop that low again. But I'm not hopeful that Legacy won't have some other bullshit that's more on the level of Jayden's storylines.

Yes, that's correct. She was seduced by FILTHY JOCK Siegfried as part of Mookie's campaign to assassinate his character after his death when he learned some of his fans liked him more than Dominic.

Jayden was indeed one of the Lunarian priestesses and went on a fetch quest to Eldariat to Die. Soon after setting off, she ran into Stunt on the bus and since Mookie's a misogynistic shithead, Stunt immediately hijacked the story, yes.

A long time before Stunt's arc in the desert, he mentioned in passing that he murdered his mother by his own hand by "cutting her nasty throat" with that little knife he always carries around. In the Eldariat to die arc, he explains that he actually found his mother (who was being abused by his father) cheating with a woman, Lizzie the lezzie. He attacked Lizzie with a small knife but slipped on a banana peel and murdered his own mother on accident, forcing him to flee the scene and become a low level mob for Dominic to beat up for xp at the beginning of the comic.

Jayden fulfilled her quest in Eldariat to Die when she was killed by a random encounter (1d4 giant scarab beetles) but was uneventfully rezd by a phoenix down a few seconds later. In the process of doing so, she discovered some relic of Luana's (a necklace or ring or some garbage) and, despite being a priestess of Luana's religion, rather than inter it in a temple or museum, gave it to Stunt and he later gave it to Dominic, who either used it as a plot coupon to do some magical horseshit or forgot about it entirely (50/50)

Mookie is absolutely going to tackle "edgy" material like this sooner or later (later due to the snail's pace Legacy is moving at.) You would think that any normal person would improve at a task after doing it for 20 years, but this is Mookie we're talking about. As has been evidenced by the comics posted, he has demonstrably gotten much worse as time has gone on, not just with art, but with writing as well. When he does reveal that the orc who was trying to steal the pages is Stonewater who has magically extended his life through rape-powered rituals or whatever, imagine that it is somehow handled even more ineptly than last time.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

The worst part is that I know you’re not exaggerating a single word of that.

I regret to inform you that you are correct.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

I saved a couple locally on my old computer (and made a few of my own) I'll post them if I can dig it out of storage.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Well, at least the orc isn't Stonewater.

Of course her magic backfired. Magic doesn't work properly in the mild edge. That's why people avoid going there. A magic user would've fled from Arudak in a different direction.

The real answer is that Mookie makes the comic up as he goes along, but even entertaining a Watsonian pov for a second, how does inkwich pretending to be someone else keep Snout safe?

1) inkwich tells him to do the fetch quest and collect Arudak's pages, making Snout cross paths with him and leading Arudak to attack him

2) the pagefinder (pretending it's something else) tells him to do the same thing leading to the same consequences

Oh my god Mookie can't go one second without crowing about how great Deegan is. Why would Snout think she knows this?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

We're finally getting answers and it's somehow even more dull than when there wasn't any plot.

Right, because Mookie's just having us check his homework instead of telling a story.

While we're on this, I know it's kind of low hanging fruit, but 80% of today's comic is dialogue text in this dialogue-free comic, and the art underneath it is entirely superfluous.

Why are these questions being answered in complete sentences? It only draws more attention to the fact that last comic's weren't.

Why did he label the page "long form answers" ?

It might be late to complain about this but I will anyway: why does inkwich's handwriting look the same as Snout's? I know it's clear in this comic who's talking communicating, but since this is the dodge for not having dialogue, I'm foreseeing this becoming an issue very soon.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I regret everything

It happens.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

He's using different MS Paint pen tools I think? Snout has slightly scratchier lines, or else I'm imagining it, like he's writing with a pen while she's writing with a brush. Barely. Otherwise they are identical.

(squint)

If you say so. The point is without the formatting, I don't think you could tell them apart. It's such an obvious way to differentiate voice and even plays to his strengths. I think he's still hand-lettering these? I looked at the crossbar on the Hs and they don't all look identical within a character's lines. Mookie never misses a chance to disappoint.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah, I wasn't defending him. If he thinks 'identical handwriting and ALMOST identical implement' is a visible difference, he's not just an idiot and a hack, he's a smug idiot and a hack.
Oh, please excuse me. I didn't mean to imply you were. I just meant I'm viewing on mobile so can't really notice differences. If you saw some, I was deferring to you.

Well, Mookie being a smug multiclassed idiot-hack is well established, given his self-aggrandizing essays on having nothing happen and drawing peepees.

skeleton warrior posted:

The worst part is how easy this would be to re-frame in an interesting, text-light way. Show a flashback of her stealing the notes! Show her escaping into the Wild Edge! Show Alduak or whatever mistreating people in his search for the pages!

But nope, our wordless comic gotta have a written q&a session
I agree with you. The original comic would at times cut away to other povs. Cutting to hearing characters would be a fairly natural way to dodge the "no-dialogue" gimmick when Mookie got bored with it, so in inkwich's memory she might talk a little bit while stealing the pages.

TheHan posted:

Doesn't deserve pages that...he wrote??? It feels kinda weird and sinister to steal something as innocuous as research from someone.
If this comic were good, this might be touched on in literally any way at all. Like in the flashback, we would just see inkwich stealing some pages while Acererak was asleep and not doing anything particularly lovely, so we might wonder who the good guy is, since after all, 99% of orcs are saintly pacifistic vegetarians. Or we could deal with inkwich and Adulation being rival academics who're squabbling over publication credit or academic citations. But I know we're not getting that.

PMush Perfect posted:

"Show, don't tell! That's why I'm showing the page! I'm a genius."

- Mookie, probably.

I'm glad this format is catching on. Well done.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

My only real disappointment is that I haven't gotten closer to bingo in a while.

Were there bingo sheets in the old threads? I forget.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Is this what this comics going to be then? Long periods of confusing actions and events, with some short words. Then a few pages of either journal or "Question and Answer, the plot" time. I think I'd prefer if the characters just talked to each other.

But hurrah, we know some of what's happening now.

Yes. I would too, but then Mookie would have to admit his terrible gimmick failed.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

This was a few pages ago, but what is a reference to?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Impossible. Inkwich is a good guy. Only bad guys could dare dislike orcs. I mean what's not to like about them?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's part of the reason why in some ways I find poo poo like Dominic Deegan or Naruto more creepy than outright fetish comics and poo poo. The authors clearly have deep seated issues with women but seem to be completely unaware of that fact.

Was there some kind of more insidious misogyny in late-run Naruto aside from just not having very many girl characters? I ran out of steam around ep 200 during the interminable filler and never really picked it back up after middle school.

I do definitely agree with you. Mookie's brand of misogyny reminds me a lot of Piers Anthony's where masking it with this kind of twee innocence makes it a thousand times creepier than just being overt fetish poo poo like Exiern or one of the other comics Fuego Fish spotlighted on the blog back in the old days.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

The big thing is that none of the women had any agency outside of the men they were attached to. It's particularly hard to ignore when in the finale everyone gets trapped in their ideal fantasy world and literally every woman's fantasy is centered around some guy.

Anyways that was fun, here's our slop.

: HELLO I AM WELL DEVELOPED CHARACTER.

True enough.

Why is the comic like this? How does he fail at stuff like:

Mors Rattus posted:

I literally can’t tell if they’re going to or away from the town.
drawing a goddamn arrow?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The final boss of Naruto shows up out of nowhere in the eleventh hour and is basically Kishi’s misogyny given form. She’s not allowed to fight, only teleport around, and in fact isn’t even really even allowed to trash talk and has to have a minion talk poo poo to our heroes.

Kishi doesn’t seem to get off on making women suffer the way Mookie does but he clearly has some issues. I never followed Naruto until that final arc in fact; since some friend of mine from these very forums said it’s bad writing and shot would fill the DD shaped hole in my heart.

Also this new comic is poo poo and Mookie still seems to operate at the level of a toddler. There is no theory of mind. Mookie knows Inkwitch is a protagonist, so Snout does too. He did this poo poo all the drat time in DD.

Good to know, thanks. Sounds pretty dire.

I literally don't think Mookie has ever attained abstract thinking. This much is evident from his decades of terrible webcomics.

Wasn't Mongreltown destroyed? What are they going to?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah the ship crashed the opposite direction of Mongreltown

If only there had been an arrow setting me straight.

Yeah, Mookie's got his pulse on the thumb of the nation and knows kids are into bed sharing in their crappy webcomics nowadays.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"The woman in black fled across the desert and the mongrelman followed."

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Now that's not a fair comparison, the Dark Tower started out pretty cool and then turned into a self-indulgent mindfuck.

Even odds on Legacy ending with the literal hand of god coming down and setting off a bomb too, though.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The dogged refusal to reveal inkwich's name definitely points to her being a Deegan, and her investigating her lineage would explain why she cared about Dominic.

Or maybe she just named herself Deegan for no reason like in Star Wars

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

That canyon is without exaggeration a giant vagina. Why?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Where the gently caress are they!
Forget it, Jake, they're in the Mild Edge.

quote:

And how long have they been traveling? Those are completely different biomes.
hosed if I know.

I think at times like this, the Mild Edge literally being a featureless void bears repeating. The way the venus flytraps teleported into frame and then vanished just as quickly, I think that's how these biomes work. Snout walks 50 feet, there's a tree. He walks another 50 feet, there's a canyon. And so on. Interspersed between these things is more void.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't hate this page? It's bad because of the pacing and plotting and everything before it, but out of context, these are some nice panels.

Even viewing them purely in a vacuum and not as a daily update in an ongoing comic, it's still a picture of a vagina and then a bush, so I will respectfully disagree.

No dialogue, though.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

I actually had no idea it was meant to be an ink tree until you brought this up.

You are not alone. Due to the inconsistency of the landscape in the wild edge, I thought they just randomly found a tree in the void and Mookie wanted to show off his ink filter. I didn't think the witch used her brush. That matters, I guess. If she can just make poo poo, why aren't they flying in a ship or something? Why are they walking?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Fish Noise posted:

the real question is when does Snout and get dressed in ink

you know it's happening.

I mean that would require Mookie to develop another model for one of the characters which sounds suspiciously like :effort: so no, I don't think that'll be happening.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

One thing I like about DD is that Mookie is not a bad person and he obviously tries to put positive, progressive messages in his comics, but he almost always fumbles in execution and ends up being offensive somehow. It's so much more interesting than media made by outright bigots.

Bro what comic have you been reading

God that filler is terrible. Not once has Mookie drawn those decorative bell bottoms on Snout's pants.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

Why do his pants have a cloth codpiece built into them. He definitely made them himself, so why did he do that? Was he sent to the Mild Edge for being a weird clothes pervert? (That very visible treasure trail also points in that direction.)

If we hadn't already seen his dick so often, I'd joke that he has a lava lamp shaped penis. Since that's not the world we live in, I'll instead say he stuffs his crotch.

TheHan posted:

Nah there's been tons attempts at being progressive in Dominic Deegan, with varying success. There's a whole arc walking back Mookie's weird hangups about cosmetic surgery, an overall "racism bad" message throughout the series and though nothing's really done with it there's some anti-colonialism themes in there.

I know that's true, like the alterist, and those always end up falling flat and being offensive like Ague Proof said, but this comic is far from being bereft of plain old loathsome bigotry. Without beating the most obvious drum, he's got a very serious madonna whore complex, as we often touch on.

I guess you have a point re: orcs and orc accessories; I just still classify Mookie as a shithead misogynist even if he doesn't think he's one.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Kerbtree posted:

Is Mookie vegan?, it could be interpreted as railing against people’s opinions of his dietary habits instead.

Didn’t he have tusks in his wedding photos?
Yes and yes. He was not an orc in those photos, he was a hobgoblin or troll-like creature. I would show you, but someone asked me nicely not to link them out of respect to Mrs. Mookie which is reasonable.

Tesseraction posted:

Mookie has been vegan since longer than we've mocked him. I don't know if he's been vegan since we've known him, but one thing I will defend him on is he's been consistently vegan in all the time I've otherwise criticised him.

Mookie was not vegan for the entire run of Deegan. He converted midway through the process and began touting its health benefits, posting recipes, etc in the blog posts he used to attach to the comic. As far as I know, he's fairly observant and it seems to be working for him.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Yeah there's not a lot of difference in taste, I think they just don't use rennet when it comes to skimming stuff off during fermentation, like vegetarian cheese.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

No dialogue. Migrating tail. Watch Mookie not have them get together to throw us a curveball:

"“Separate those who lap the water with their tongues as a dog laps from those who kneel down to drink.” - Judges 7:5

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

Snout laid butt naked next to his unconscious future love interest without her knowledge, but how could anything be as sinister as these two panels.

You've cracked the code. Mookie made a "dialogue-free" comic so FuegoFish couldn't write the Legacy of Dominic Durgan.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I suspect he just has no idea where to go from here or what to do now that he's put the two protagonists in the same place. Until he can contrive a way for the two of them to either A) stumble upon a Bad Guy doing Something Bad (which they'll just stand around and watch happen), or B) have a sex scene; we'll get more of this.

I hope he combines the two and Snout begins plowing inkwich and is interrupted before he busts by an explosion he can't hear and inkwich throws him off to go fight the Green Lantern villain Mookie traced.

Tesseraction posted:

Why does he now no longer sleep naked?

I was going to complain about this too, but I couldn't think of anything funny to add. Snout normally sleeps naked but doesn't want inkwich to see his erect peepee, so keeps his clothes on.

TheHan posted:

Do you think he realizes that he’s following that week of walking with another week of walking.

Do I think Mookie has self-awareness or plans out the comic to avoid issues with pacing? No.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

Speaking as a friend, how loving dare you suggest he couldn't make that funny.

Wow, you're friends with FuegoFish? Nice. That guy cracks me up.

I'm sure he could. This is just Mookie's magical thinking defense, like covering his own eyes so his enemies can't see him.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Hm, maybe I will go see this movie.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Sounds healthy.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

So I guess they hosed?

Snout's tail has now migrated all the way around to his rib and turned into a gross scorpion leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

We can hope for something goofy and/or offensive next update. There being no sense of pacing makes it hard to guess when these things are coming.