Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I suppose Mookie got really bored by the "farmboy" trope, but completely missed the point as is his usual. Or..in other words

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Take the masks off the cannon fodder and get characters. If you put the spotlight on the usual 'unlikely heroes' like 'farm boys' *waves his hand like he's grossed out*, put it on the information brokers, the guys who build the weapons for the mercenary heroes, the seers, the squires, the working class, the guards for god's sakes! Put the spotlight on them, that is step 1 for making a hero that is REALLY unlikely."

Do what I say, not what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Oh no, the orc took the pages that I already read.....Oh no, the magic paper that told me to collect the pages crumbled to dust!......god damnit I’m not going to find anyone to replace my house.

The End.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 13, 2019

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
So. Acquiring then losing the pages really was pointless then? Because the random dream prompted him to look up whatever this is (book, chapter?), which had nothing to do with collecting the pages.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
So..we going to spend the next two weeks reading ever more pointless Deegan writings until Snout gets a new direction to follow?

Because uggg. Why does Snout care good god.?
Also the fact that he just has all these books in the open air library and gently caress this.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheHan posted:

Phoning in Wednesday I guess. Even a 3-day a week update schedule is tough but the ratio of words to art here is staggering.

2/3rds of the page is text!

This is a comic with no dialogue.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You know, Snout could have saved a lot of time by just looking up the writings of Dominic Deegan from the start. The old “where’s Dominic” rule of this comic whenever he is not present.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Alakantar posted:

New one up!

And so Snout's quest to find out what was up with Dominic Deegan has ended. Next week, he goes on a fetch quest to make that cave into an actual home.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well, Snout being afraid to leave the Wild Edge was implied pretty loving hard the page before break. So of course after break, we need that explicitly stated. Honestly, kinda important given how utterly forgettable every aspect of this comic is.

Happy New Year.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ha ha. Oh man what an inept page. While their is a lot wrong here. I’ll mention my annoyance at the Snout categorizing himself as a “deaf herbivore who can survive here.” Accurate, but it doesn’t read like how you write to describe yourself.

And the elephant dong in the room.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wow, Snout has literally nothing going on in his life id this is what keeps him up at night.

I mean, he did spend several days on a risky and pointless fetch quest, after his home was destroyed. Mookie didn’t write Snout with an actual established life.

At the risk of writing DD fan fiction. This could have worked so much better if the ink witch’s abduction/home destroying happened after or near the end of the fetch quest. Have Snout get the reference to other libraries and look upset before continuing other research paths. Then have his home destroyed, then have the orc (cleaning up loss ends).
And that’s it. Snout in cave, established that he does not want to leave, but motivated by mystery/revenge on orc, and no reason to stay now that home was destroyed

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ha ha ha. Preparing the audience for more gratuitous nudity got me good.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Credit where credit is due. I have never, ever seen a wide background shot like that from Mookie. It's not great, and I have no idea if most of those objects are treetops or rocks. But he tried something new.

Good job Mookie.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Nice travel montage. Very unique for Mookie.

Can't help but feel it's a "here's backgrounds that will never appear again."

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Come now everyone, get your fill of backgrounds for the year.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's no evidence he's actually practicing though. I get the feeling his very first landscape attempts are the ones we see here and the few he did on Twitter during Inktober. I think what we're seeing here are the first draft, practice attempts.

I mean, you need to complement Mookie in a bubble. If you come at this from the angle that he's been doing this for 12+ years, then yeah, that's no improvement at all. But if you understand and come from the idea that Mookie will never ever learn, then simple differences in the day to day are praise worthy. He'll forget what he did in a week, but at this point, as a reader you should expect that. He doesn't plan this comic, and he comes at pages from day to day.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ok. I was fine with the first day of these, but Snout standing on a rock jutting out into Wild Niagra Falls is self-indulgent masterbation.

To borrow from others...How big is the Wild Edge?!

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 16, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Little writing tip for you Mookie. When using a common writing trope. Don’t have the character literally say/write down “name of trope” while applying it to themselves. It’s not natural.

Good thing I left home on this “hero’s journey”

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, wow, the effort put into this page is SO much lower than the last 3 updates' grand landscapes. 1 panel of a few crappy rocks and we're back to white voids

You had your week of backgrounds. It's time to advance the plot such as it is. Either/or situation.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Once again if he arrives to find robotnik blew up the village before he got there I will take back every criticism I have ever made of Mookie.

Take every critcism back apparently. I honestly have no clue where this narrative is going now. I guess Snout is special so the ship is following to dick him over.

I don't know, this sucks.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ok... I actually kinda agree with Snout's reaction here, because what the hell is happening?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

the yeti posted:

The ink witch ran right through snout. He’s a ghost; the stupid tree actually killed the shut out of him and he was too dim to notice.

Oh. Yeah, that parts as silly as everyone is pointing out. I meant his facial reaction I guess.

...oh no. Ink Witch is going to be a magical klutz just like Luna isn't she.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You know, if her clothing was the material for her spells, you think you’d start with the hat. But whatever, she’s not Bayonetta.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well um...Last panel, nice little effect with the cascading particles of ink falling to the ground. That's all I got.

I'm also slightly curious how he's going to convey Snout talking to someone.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
...Ahh a bunch of yes/no questions, that's certainly a way to address the whole "no conversation" thing.

gently caress it.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Is this what this comics going to be then? Long periods of confusing actions and events, with some short words. Then a few pages of either journal or "Question and Answer, the plot" time. I think I'd prefer if the characters just talked to each other.

But hurrah, we know some of what's happening now.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Maxwell Lord posted:

We already have our protagonist-centered morality, the bad guy is bad because someone says he is! Was wondering when that would creep up.

As was already pointed out, the evil orc was surprisingly non-violent with Snout when presumably he could have just killed him.

Give it a couple of months, I'm sure we'll find he's a racist murderer or something.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Regalingualius posted:

I forget, did the original strip ever have an arc where the big reveal was that the seemingly-trustworthy character was actually the villain? Because I could definitely see the twist coming with the Ink Witch actually exploiting Snout’s gullibility for some nebulous agenda that involves... the legacy of Dominic Deegan.

Do you count the friend of Dominic who was being controlled by his wife? Because he had a full 360 degree alignment spin over that arc.

And lest we forget the alignment chart is Deegan/not Deegan. Since evil wife got the famous rear end up death.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 11, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Aaaaand they're friends now. She blew up his house and they are friends now.

gently caress this

They were never not going to be friends/fuckbuddies.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Where the gently caress are they! And how long have they been traveling? Those are completely different biomes.

I mentioned a week or two ago that I like that cascading dry ink particle effect. Well gently caress me, because that’s the only ink effect Mookie knows, so we’ll be seeing it over and over again. Even when it doesn’t really fit, like the tree in the bottom panel.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 14, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
This isn’t that interesting. But at least they did not teleport to the next blank location. He put some effort in, even if it didn’t add much.
And if these two are going to be shoehorned into a relationship, this is better establishment of that then he ever did with Luna. ....which actually is more indicative of Dominic/Lunas relationship now that I think about it.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 19, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well, that didn’t take long. Less than 2 weeks of comics from Ink Witch and Snout meet officially to naked dream frolicking time.

But I think what annoys me most is panel 2 in relation to the last panel of the previous strip. How did she get to be sleeping draped over him. I toss and turn in my sleep, and have never woken up having moved that far. (Except one time I fell out a bed)

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Also, the two protagonists have met, we had a q/a session, we had two weeks of travel.

I still have no idea what the overall goal or sense of urgency is. The plot has vanished. I assume it will pop up again eventually.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

catlord posted:

Did he knee her in the face in panel 4?

I believe that is indicating moving away so fast her upper body has no support and faceplants to the last panel.. It's just Mookie conveying quick movements is....yeah.

And is is wrong of me that I cracked a smile at panel 3. That's a pretty good surprise look for Snout.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 23, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Fister Roboto posted:

Where's his bindle when he's walking and writing (something that is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT if you've ever tried it)? That thing seriously just vanishes and reappears whenever it's convenient.

Much like any other items the characters carry. Remember he stored his book/ink/brush and food in that thing.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ok Mookie. We get it. We critiqued the sign, now the characters have spent a week critiquing the signs. Move on already.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He probably got the idea because of that one person that was confused about the sign on Twitter. And now we get a week of sign jokes just so he can prove he actually totally did that on purpose.

Ohh I have no doubt that’s why he’s doing it. It’s just infuriating, and also convinced me even he does not care about his “story”. He interrupted a whole week of comic for this. Even if his readers time is worthless, doesn’t he value his own time?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Synthbuttrange posted:

he's spent a decade+ making this comic series.

That’s....yeah ok, good point.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheHan posted:

At its core Dominic Deegan is a good idea. A series that focuses on outwitting and strategizing around your physically superior foes is always fun, but Mookie isn't a clever writer at all. After a while Dominic's go-to strategy was "Snitch to the closest, strongest person and have them Kamehameha my problems away". Sometimes it got to the point where Dominic could just Kamehameha problems himself.

In addition to that, it helps if your character that's "outsmarting" the superior foes isn't an unlikable dick.

And since Widdershins was mentioned. Yeah, Widdershins is fantastic.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 1, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I mean, it’s location...that’s a thing. I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You know, the last two updates weren't so bad. Was starting to get worried there for a minute.

Glad we're back on "What the hell" ground.