Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
It also helped that Dominic Deegan's update schedule was 5 days a week. So the dull moments at least moved onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

PoptartsNinja posted:

We're nearly a year in and there's no stakes. The closest thing we have to an antagonist is the combined idiocy of Snout, Arudak, and [Name Unknown] who, for no reason apparent to the reader, all value Snout's opinions even though he's Jar Jar Binks.

Yeah, that's a pickle isn't it. I think we're suppose to be wondering which of these two Snout can trust, Ink Witch or Arudak. But um. I don't know what they disagree with, because it's a nebulous thing that involves "Deegan". Which frankly as you said is not enough to carry a story.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Tentacle mongrel witch is really loving confused today since all her medicines are topicals.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Midnight Voyager posted:

oh goddamnit, nobody's going to advertise an earwax remover as a hearing loss cure i loving hate this man

True, though I think Snout saw “cures hearing loss” as a bullet point from a sign and just chugged it down without even reading the bottle. And of course the fact that Snout is deaf, and at no point was the potion even hinted it would do anything about deafness.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 7, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Libra posted:

Arudak had never considered purchasing pain relief medication before and now he is eternally indebted to Snout, who is apparently smarter than him.

I'm pretty sure literally everyone in this comic is an idiot.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
.....what the hell. We spent weeks of wacky wanderings in mogreltown while Snout cleared his head. And now that he's clear-headed, he's ready to continue his adventure of "lol, bored I guess."

This is such a bad story.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You know Mookie isn’t completely wrong about that “importance of doing nothing” in a story. He just forgot that in order for that to be effective, it must be contrasted with DOING SOMETHING!

Ugg, time for another week off.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
But he will matter eventually. So all characters will act like he’s important until Mookie decides he’s important. (It’s because he’s a seer I bet)

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's even worse than this, that passage of time while they were crossing the wild edge? Mookie's news posts suggest that took one day, one night, and basically part of the next morning. Snout was living in a suburb of Mongreltown this entire time.

Wait what. That was only suppose to be a day of travel. Why even bother with a traveling page.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao she still doesn't have a name

Which is a real problem given we now know of a coven of ink witches. So she isn't the only one.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know, it's not just that he's clearly giving up and relying on pages and pages of text.

It's that despite that STILL nothing is happening.

This entire page is just restating what was in the last page!

Well, to be fair. This at least is a more traditional Deegan experience. Massive amounts of word vomit that amounts to nothing. Mookie is at least consistent.

And I’d love if an Infernomancer (loving stupid as poo poo name by the way. And “demonologist or warlock” is the well agreed upon fantasy term. A demon mage isn’t that special Mookie) showed up. Sure he was a lovely antagonist, but he was an actual antagonist, and was really good at chewing panel time until he was inevitably clowned on by the Deegans.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 17, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Great, more of this vaguely creepy stuff. The only way this level of familiarity makes sense is if the “Snout is author insert, Ink Witch is him inserting his wife” thing is true. At which point, it’s just uncomfortable for the audience.

:staredog: Well made.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mookie won't skip over anything. Once Snout gets to start controlling his lucid dreams or whatever we'll have to put up with the dream sequences lasting forever too (because they don't need backgrounds so they're easier to draw).

Ahh yes. Leading up to the ultimate goal of Dominic Deegan. Two vaguely humanoid blobs loving in a white void.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Okay, well here's more naked dream time. Anyway, theirs no way Snout's not a seer/dreamwalker right. It's really hamhanded that why he's important here.
And if that's the case, he has no reason to be naked in the dream realm. Dominic didn't need to be naked in the dream realm.

Actually...perhaps he did and Mookie just didn't poorly draw Dominic's Dickan.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thank you kindly.

I honestly hate discord's servers and cannot for the life of me understand how/why people think they are lie a replacement for the old classic forum layout/design. Like, hell, the shitshow that is Reddit is a better medium. But eh, go where the Goons are, not where they should be.

It’s not good. But I feel it’s easier to follow a conversation there than on reddit.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
More dreams. hurrah. Congrats to Mookie on outlasting this here thread.

I honestly can't bring myself to muster the energy with this anymore.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Safari Disco Lion posted:

This is now the second time she has said "I hope you can still trust me", immediately after deceiving him, AND pulls the "you're the only friend I've got" card. This has long fallen from the Funny To Read And Make Fun Of tree and down into the poo poo-pile of Now It's Just Pathetic.

No loving kidding. The "hope you can still trust me" line came off skeevy the first item he had her use it. And now she's using it again within like one day of when she said it last time.

"I hope you can still trust me."....loving no. I obviously can't!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Glad to see Mookie is getting back to his writing roots. Between heroic rapists and sex pest witches, trust Mookie to always flail into a topic with the understanding and attention span of a fruit fly.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I like clearly villain witch’s skirt. That’s all, looking on the positive today.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Crespolini posted:

I like these guys. With the theme of having no dialogue I hope they just briskly beat the poo poo out of our heroes and exit stage left, never to be tainted by whatever explanation Mookie has in mind for them.

I’ll take them beating up our “heros” and exiting stage left. We can enjoy them for a few months until Mookie brings them back and ruins them. But just think how glorious those few months would be.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Pfffttt....I just can't get over Arudak appearing from stage left from loving nowhere. Mookie wanted to hammer home that these are the "bad guy" counterparts to our crew so badly, that he couldn't even think far enough ahead to have Arudak there.

He's so loving bad at this. It's swung back around to hilarious for me.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 8, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ok. Real bad guys established. Internet was wrong, they did not wait for me to show them. Now I can go back to wondering what's gonna happen next, as I sit down to trace.

Mookies writing when he gets called out is so rote and predictable. It's really apparent when he's reacting to something.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 9, 2020

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Maxwell Lord posted:

This may end up being a more insulting depiction of the hearing impaired than The Quiet Man.

They both made their deaf protagonists look like morons, but I think I agree. If nothing else the Quiet Man didn't come off as utterly infantile.

I think that's what impresses me. Mookie managed to make an incredibly insulting character completely by accident because off his inability to write a character with agency.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I would say that in Mookie's case it would be a bit different because the way hearing impaired folks lived their lives in medieval and pre-modern times was doubtless different from how they do it today when things like literacy and laws protecting and helping individuals with disabilities and special needs are prevalent - but lol like Deeganverse isn't just the modern world .

Of course, this discussion is all hypothetical. Mookie doesn't consider how anyone, impaired or not exists in his settings.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Kavak posted:

That is exactly what is going to happen. :sigh:

Yep, I'd say it's almost 100%.
I'm coming in late to commenting on this strip, but my very first thought on reading it was "well, Snouts knocked out now, so Mookie can spend a strip or two on some vague white void dream realm, then have a strip or two where others tell him what happened after he woke up.

Easy, pleasing, saves Mookie tracing. Win, Win, Win for him. And God forbid Snout has agency

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

YF-23 posted:

The minotaur didn't even interact with Snout. Snout bumped into him once and then Arudak got a cupcake from him.

They read the script as well. So they to know Snout is going to be important. Anyway.

So, everyone called him waking up after everything was over. Now for the wall of text update explaining what Mookie couldn't be assed to draw.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Well. I was wrong, it was the blank pages option.
Alright, well story loving over right? Please!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I know we are firmly in "chosen narrative" that Mookie is going to force territory. But those aren't friends Snout you stupid loving moron. You've know both of them less than a week.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Another page that repeats and summarizes again what the reader already knows. Mookie does that a lot.
Anyway, Let’s talk a personal irritation. Snout is at a open air restaurant, with a drink, which implies he ordered from there while writing all the words.

Remember when Snout didn’t know what money was and had to have Mom Witch provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Oh. I get it. Snout is not only deaf, he lacks object permanence. His friends disappeared, and he instantly forgot they existed

....gently caress all a year of nothing, and we're starting over.