Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I honestly don't understand why either Arudak or the Ink Witch care what Snout thinks about this. Like, Arudak seems like he cares in a more general "sorry you got caught up in this" kind of way, which is fine, but I have no idea why the Ink Witch is so clingy and desperate for Snout's approval. Charitably I could guess it has something to do with him joining her in the weird dong void dreams, but who knows.

Right now it doesn't feel like Snout is an actual asset in any way besides nebulous magical dream destiny reasons, though. And given his vague motivation, his determination that he can't really trust either of them makes the logical solution feel like it should be "just go home, then." Or, like, find somewhere to live in mongrel town. Whatever.

I found the page where Snout says he's just here because he's "curious" really frustrating because I feel like with a character that had been given a set up that actually SPEAKS to such visceral curiosity, that exchange with Arudak could have been actually really charming. Like, having this crotchety mage charmed by this other character's innocent sense of wonder.

It's just like... Snout's starting set up and his supposed immense curiosity don't really fit together. The only hint to his curiousity in his initial lifestyle is that he likes to read books, but that seems like an origin more fitting to a character who is bound to a place by circumstance and therefore satisfies their need to explore with books and escapism. But, as it turns out, literally nothing was holding him back from traveling. He traveled here just fine, mostly on his own, and it turns out the wild edge is not actually that dangerous and is mostly just big and empty.

It seems like everything he wanted was a few days walk away and he just never bothered. It just doesn't live up to the "i'm just a really curious dude" motivation at all.

Long post because I've been following this thread for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Actually I realize now that Arudak has:

1) All the pages.
2) The $10 dream book.

So he should really just ditch before Inky can screw things up for him again. Maybe he's interested in Snout because he was seeing the dream symbols in his dreams or something. IDK.

How long before Arudak enters the dong void as well?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Honestly, there's nothing weird about boobs looking like that. That's basically just the reality behind what boobs do without support.

That said, the Ink Witch is such a freaking creeper. I have no idea what her problem is or why she is so obsessed with this guy she's barely met. Maybe she'll explain in the next page, but for the moment I'm just so strongly off-put by her behaviour. I was assuming he was like, accessing dream stuff by his own merits, but if that's not the case I'm just totally lost.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
So... Ink Witch knows that her powers are backfiring in such a way that if she's close to someone she will invade their privacy. Apparently, under normal circumstances, she would consider that unconscionable. So she...

1) Doesn't warn him after the first time it happened.
2) Sleeps AS CLOSE TO HIM AS POSSIBLE knowing that proximity is a factor.
3) Doesn't offer to sleep somewhere else or keep her distance.

What is with this woman that her reaction to just wanting a friend out here is to immediately cling and put her boobs on him at every opportunity? I could see all of these things being reasonable character flaws for a character who is, in fact, a bit selfish and duplicitous, but it's hard to know if that's what the story is actually going for.

If I was reading this without being biased by the author, I would think that she's flat out lying here and is contriving reasons to stay close because she wants to keep looking at his brain symbols.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's really unfortunate how New Ink Witch is more compellingly designed in pretty much every way than Old Ink Witch. I mean, relatively speaking since costume design has never been a strong suit.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's really irritating how Snout keeps getting all self righteous and petulant about people fighting when he genuinely has no idea how valid or not anyone's complaints are.

Also he should really just write a sign that says "stop fighting" instead of using the Endings one as if that will mean anything.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
This isn't the first piece of media I've seen that seems to equate deafness with "inability to read a room". In reality, Snout just has a very simplistic way of viewing reality that has nothing to do with his disabilities. Which, I suppose, is meant to be charming? It seems like Mookie might be going for the Messiah arc-type, where Snout is meant to be very compassionate and willing to overlook people's flaws for the sake of better understanding them.

It's just like, Snout is so bad at understanding, and his attempts at peacekeeping are so simplistic and inept that it's failing to work for me. Also, again, his complete lack of coherent motivation for being involved with this at all keeps distracting from any show of virtue he might have.

He's just remarkably incurious despite that supposedly being his defining motivation. Like, you'd think that a character whose driving force is curiosity and compassion might ask these newcomers what's wrong as opposed to angrily shoving a Death tarot in their face when they arrive with grievances against Arudak and Ink Witch that may be entirely justified.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You'd also think that someone whose defining trait is curiosity wouldn't be living as a hermit a scant few miles away from a city made up of people just like him, but here we are.

Yeah, this tidbit is still killing me... it feels like Mookie set Snout up as a hermit because it was convenient for cultivating his sense of naivety and not because it suited his personality at all.

Hostile V posted:

...yeah Snout is just the next prophet of the Word of Deegan, huh. Or at least an overly simplistic and reductionist fundamentalist view of a saint/prophet.

That's what I expect, yeah. I imagine that Snout is supposed to be some special new breed of prophet, perhaps specific to some Deegan created school of dream bullshit.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Why did he have to make the second panel so funny?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

maltesh posted:

Achievement Unlocked: Rags to Ruin.
-- Destroy every single object owned by Snout.

This is literally true and completely hilarious.

Wait... maybe he still has his paintbrush? There's hope for him.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Dear god, what kind of baffling diversion is this?

I'm getting the impression that there are just going to be several weeks of Snout finding weird stuff in the wild edge that doesn't actually lead anywhere important, much like his random journey around Mongreltown. Because the alternative is that this vine poo poo IS plot-relevant somehow, in which case it becomes even more maddening that Snout found it by virtue of just walking in a random direction and stumbling upon it.

I honestly can't tell if he's trying to resolve the problem of his friends disappearing or if he really did just mean he was "starting over" as in he was just going to not worry about all that and bumble around some more. If he IS trying to resolve it, he really didn't do any detective work at all before leaving town.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
"Will he become a rapist or will he just stay a harmless pervert? Let's find out! ;)" Fascinating journey.

Mors Rattus posted:

I think the weirdest part of this to me is, like, I think this is intended to be a horror vignette.

Except, like, there’s literally no way it can be scary or creepy.

Horror vignette where the protagonist is immune to the threat and nobody else is there. Thrilling.

Unrelated, I noticed something about the way that Mookie is drawing Wild Edge backgrounds that irritates me, and part of what makes it so bothersome. I know really this just comes down to laziness, but...

He shows Snout moving between biomes at a rapid pace, as if they are switching every couple hours of walking or so. At least, that's my guess based on how much time has supposedly past versus how many biomes he goes through. Yet, whenever he shows a wide shot, it always looks like this:

Far stretches of one biome, or absolutely nothing. You never see these weird biomes at the same time, which seems completely impossible given how closely packed they must be. Based on what he'd been drawing, from this shot you should really see some weird trees or something in the distance. If he put the effort into drawing at least a little extra detail showing around the horizon of other nearby biomes it would make a huge difference in expressing the supposed chaos of the Wild Edge.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
For a comic with a protagonist that is so against casualties, Star Power is shockingly pro reckless violence.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I thought Mookie said he wasn't going to do any more weird gore!!

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Something is really chef's kiss about how Snout is just gormlessly holding handfuls of this guy's skin. He seems upset but probably not as upset as a person would be at this revelation.

Is Snout accustomed to holding and touching dead bodies? (Unless this dude is actually alive and his skin just sloughed off despite that.) I feel like most people would have a bit stronger of a reaction to that than just looking sort of surprised and put out by it.

What is the point of drawing something so gross when your character is just going to be like "oh geez!!!" and carry on.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Also, dude his skin came off, he's going to be at serious risk for infection and making sure to touch him all over as much as possible isn't going to help with that.

I sort of got the impression that Snout was going down there because he thought the mongrelman might still be alive and wanted to help. Which is a reasonable motivation, I guess, it's just the way he's doing it that's so weird.

Cause I don't think skin guy is the mongrelman because he looks like a normal human.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I think the early comics read easier at the time because a lot of media was more inclined to make jokes out of things like suicide. And with the tone of the comic at the time, the abruptness of it seemed more appropriate. There's a lot of jokes that a flinch at now that as a teenager I'd just pass by without thinking.

Also, like, I unironically enjoyed comics like Penny Arcade so a lot has changed suffice to say.

I started reading DD as a teenager and was genuinely really fond of it for a while - I think until it was far enough into the comic that you started to see the patterns forming. The thing that got to me the most was Mookie's constant murdering of any possible stakes during most of the story arcs. Which wasn't really an issue back when the stakes were generally pretty low.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Honestly part of me is hoping this is some kind of ill conceived body swap plot because at least there'd be something to talk about. What if this naked lady is Snout's new mysterious woman partner? Though I guess she may also just be a blank slate person at which point the narrative could descend into similar creepiness of her not knowing social conventions and/or acting like a child. Which is a whole other nightmare.

At the moment I think it definitely wasn't MEANT to put the mongrelman brain into into this body, though. More just like a sacrifice of one life to create another. Though if that first guy was supposed to be a mongrelman he certainly didn't look like it.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
So that WAS the mongrel man? Why does he look completely human, then?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I honestly just hate this story diversion so much, it's so pointless and weird, and from the pace it's going it seems like it's going to be over shortly anyway. One of those bodies better be alive so he can at least get a traveling companion out of this because otherwise it'll just have been completely random nonsense.

Also, the fact that when vine man appears Snout continues to stand right next to him is so bizarre-looking. Like if you saw a guy looking like that you'd think you'd at least take a step back. Maybe for fear that his scary vines would touch you or something? IDK man he just saw some messed up stuff but he never really reacts to it.

But he's immediately confident enough that he's just going to rub a middle finger in this guys face.

This is petty also but: is Snout like strong as hell or what? dragging two limp bodies up a mostly vertical hole seems like it'd be extremely difficult. Why would you bring them both up at once, and then leave the one with no skin wound-down on the floor?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol according to Mookie's tweets this ain't gonna be short

God drat it!

I guess I just saw that he'd already gotten the bodies effortlessly out of the hole/was naturally immune to the source of conflict and figured that it couldn't keep this up for much longer.

The pace was already trying me but now that it's decided to just be about something else completely it's become unbearable.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I honestly have no idea how I managed to read through this without feeling like Dominic was being a huge dick about the Jacob thing.

I don't know if "never talk about him" is the best way to help your brother process trauma.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah, exactly. Having a character act this way isn't a bad writing decision, it's just bad because the conflict here is not really explored properly. In a better story, a character like Dominic struggling with maintaining boundaries with regards to personal drama, given how easy it is for him to discover things, could be really interesting.

Here, though, it's like... even if Dominic was correct and Jacob was 100% evil and 100% irredeemable, using your powers to watch someone have a private conversation and then get mad that they were having said conversation because you 'don't want it under your house' when they weren't even IN your house is just absurd. Yet, it isn't treated that way.

Honestly it makes Greg seem naive for putting up with Dominic as much as he's 'naive' for hoping Jacob is redeemable.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
The kingdom this story takes place in is such a hell hole. I guess, at least the knights being corrupt is sort of a plot point.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Maybe they're all alive somewhere??

The mongrel just turned into dust, man. You watched it happen!

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
One thing that gets me about this plot arc is that it's completely unclear why Amelia wants to kill Luna in the first place. Nothing about their relationship is exposed that seems to give reason for it. She gets killed trying to organize someone's murder for basically no reason.

It could have been an inheritance dispute but Luna was already out of that race. Why was killing Luna on this woman's bucket list? It's so weird.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Devoid of context, I like this page.

I find this woman's rampaging charming.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Yeah tbh while there is plenty to criticize about his work I feel like people in this thread are really eager to harp on even the totally normal stuff he does. There was nothing self aggrandizing about that tweet and being like "hey it would be sweet if medusa was an ally instead of an enemy" is a completely reasonable/potentially fun concept.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
For some reason him copy pasting almost an entire page worth of panels that happened only a few pages ago has taken my ire for this comic to the boiling point.

It's like, you know that using the same panels to show him getting beat up again makes it look like it's meant to be a call back gag, right?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
He desperately needs to draw the camel toe or else it doesn't count.

Every time I see this and also these giant unitesticles I become deeply furious.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I'm not a penis haver so I'm not overly familiar with their wiles, but wouldn't it be kind of hard to get it up in this situation? Like, presuming that Stonewater found nothing erotic about the situation. Especially if they are saying that the orcs checked for cum residue somehow.

Also it's weird to say that she "wasn't their problem anymore" when really she never had to be their problem at all. If they were really going to be so hands-off about it, why not just let Stonewater take her? That'd be the fastest way to get her out of their hair.

Also Mookie's tone of "well I had fun putting Stonewater in this situation and that's what counts" is a bit offputting.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
How on loving be Earth would "go east" be sufficient direction to find something that small? Any small diversion and he would have missed it entirely, especially since it took tripping over it to notice it in the first place.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's weird how the brushes he uses to represent "ink magic" look less like ink than just his regular line work.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

YF-23 posted:

I love that what got our protagonists outside the mild edge was not a year-long roadtrip but a magic portal.

It really makes the endless travel montages seem worth it, doesn't it?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Another clever dodge away from any tension was how Snout made that sad journal entry about Corpsemom hitting him and how he didn't know if he could give her the help she needed.

... Only for her aggression to completely disappear for the rest of the journey.

I really struggle to identity what purpose she has besides filling time.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

YF-23 posted:

The Ink Witch just magically knows the plot now? I'm calling it, she's a Deegan.

I'm definitely assuming she's a Deegan, which is probably part of the reason the narrative is avoiding giving her a name.

Maybe she's named, like, Luna Deegan after her great great great grandmother or something. Or something else that would make it obvious.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Why is the Ink Witch suddenly wearing a hat?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Invisible Clergy posted:

I don't think we ever see him again. He does look pretty much identical to Brett Taggarty, who is killed by Celesto for being a domestic abuser and JOCK, so that's probably what what you're thinking of.

Zereth posted:

You forgot "never appears again". I don't think the guy has a name.

NOT SO, he actually does undergo a redemption arc and becomes a semi-important character during the March Across Maltak. He has an orc love interest and everything.

I don't remember the details intimately but I'm pretty sure it's something like "Dominic's prediction for him shook him up so much he reevaluated his life."

Riot Bus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 29, 2021

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I do think that the idea of having a seer/oracle as main POV has a lot of really interesting potential. Back in the days of yore I actually took inspiration from Dominic Deegan to try writing my own story with that set up. Not gonna say it was substantially better since I was a kid, but as a concept, it's always stuck with me.

I think Dominic Deegan's primary weakness in execution is that Mookie feels the compulsive need to pad out Dominic's abilities with miscellaneous OP psionics, centers the story around him naturally being the most important person in the universe, and puts very little effort into playing with interesting cause and effect.

Also the fact that Dominic can't ever be wrong. A seer flexing their abilities to manipulate people innately has moral gray to it, but Mookie seems unwilling to explore that.

Also all the weird bigotry fetishization. But that's unrelated to seers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
God, it's so hard to connect to my past self, who read these chapters and genuinely thought that Dominic's patronizing bullshit was charming. His attitude of "why do I have to be the only adult around here" is so tiresome.