Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He thinks making the vine "necromantic" is enough to make it interesting.

But yeah. The stakes are that this is a thing that might have happened if they didn't easily stop it before it had a chance to even begin to threaten anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why the gently caress does he even care enough about Snout to write this many words about him? It's so pointless and has nothing to do with anything. It's just another page intended to make us love Snout and hate this guy even more.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Of course the entire point of this page is how much of a dick the orc is, but... He's right. Snout has absolutely no reason to be there. No one's even attempted to yet explain why they insisted Snout come to them. All their attention has been on Corpsemommy, who they didn't even know existed until the Ink Witch met her when they were already in Maltak.

Of course I'm sure he's some kind of "chosen one" dream wizard, but why hasn't anyone even begun to explore or even address that? Isn't that the WHOLE REASON HE'S THERE?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 21, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wait.

So, Snout can read all of this but not the Orc Klingon's earlier insults?

He constantly switches between languages as he's writing (well, dictating) because that's a thing super smart people do

Except for now when he just sticks to one because I don't know

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

loving hell how do you mess up copy/pasting your own artwork that badly? Is it laziness or incompetence? Yes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This plot is such a loving nothing with no stakes and no reason for Snout to be concerned. And yet he's overwhelmed? Ok? You don't need to DO anything, Snout, she's in good hands and you can go... I dunno, get that book or whatever you were supposed to be doing at some point.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This comic is so loving bad I love it and hope Mookie keeps making comics until the day he dies.

His patreon seems to have stalled out and hit its ceiling at 1.2k/mo, which isn't really livable for a family... But knowing how little effort he puts into the comic, it's easily possible he has a day job too (if he's even the main breadwinner, which I'm not going to try and dive into).

Maybe he makes a decent amount off of sales of DD and Star Power books? I really doubt it, but it's SOMETHING. I assume he made most of his money off the con scene, and, well, we all know what happened there.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Last time this happened to him, he bucked up, did a bunch of research, and then set on a quest... To walk in one direction with no real destination

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And right there, the reason he keeps doing the comic: Twitter ego massaging. Even if he never gets above a handful of likes/retweets, those gushing comments fuel him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FlocksOfMice posted:

Jeff Bezos' twelve ingredients are him vaguely being aware that Campbell's monomyth has been used as a blueprint for a lot of media he's consumed. Truly an enlightened thinker of our age on par with a highschool senior writing a 3 page english essay.

But he is rich and therefore an expert on everything, including things he has never studied!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This still sucks but it just boring sucks now, not cringe sucks

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1397905683140464640

OH WAIT THERE WE GO

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 28, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And once again his weird-rear end obsession with paladins and LG characters

He totally thinks doomguy is a Paladin because apparently lawful good means "kills demons"

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 28, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Diving into his family life any further than "they exist" is uncomfortable territory for me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait. I just had a thought. Mookie knows about us, and this comic is a meta commentary. Snout is him, Sunflower is his Twitter followers, and we're Daxethar.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 2, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, wait, wait. Is he saying these landscapes are his artistic strengths?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Billy Gnosis posted:

What is the point of [this] comic?

ftfy

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh my loving god how long is this comic going to dwell on the fact someone was rude to Snout

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why is everyone treating him like a hero when he didn't do anything

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oriongates posted:

No, this is the book that they bought back in Mongreltown. It was briefly in limbo after snout got punched and Ink Witch and Arudak vanished with Redactor and Mhorg, but it turned out it was never taken or anything, because Redactor showing up had basically no actual consequences.

The book that Snout has actually been looking for is Dominic Deegan's Intro to Lucid Dreaming...despite this book being exactly the topic they're looking into, it wasn't written by Deegan so it can't be special.

Also not only did the bad guys not hurt them, but they didn't even take the book. So literally all they accomplished was making the good guys travel some unspecified distance away and ditch Snout.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So is Corpsemom just not in the comic anymore...? She literally hasn't appeared since the previous night, despite the comic ostensibly focusing on her for weeks and making a huge deal about how serious her condition is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

See, that's what I thought about the "DEAF" patch, but now it's back like nothing happened...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So Snout's platonic (?) relationship with a necromanic zombie he met less than a week (?) ago reminds Arudak of his dead wife

uh, ok

Why? Is it because she is also dead?

Also who is Snout's actual romantic love interest supposed to be? Ink Witch or Corpsemommy? The comic keeps vacillating between the two. Again, it could be interesting to depict a poly relationship, but Mookie hasn't indicated that's what he's going for. In fact I can't tell at all what he's going for.

Also also, I'm still flabbergasted that Snout has 2 nice new outfits, one of which already has his treasured "HELO I AM BROKEN" patch, and yet he's going back to his lovely, smelly overalls. At least Corposemommy is FINALLY dressed this time.

Also also also, what the gently caress was the point of Snout's "clearing his head" montage? He didn't actually DO any introspection. He just kind of went for a walk and when he came back people were nice to him and had ejected the bad man from the story for being slightly rude to him.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 11, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah, but he couldn't read a sign once and made a faux pas!

A sign that he didn't even look at anyway so it wouldn't have mattered.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

METAL FANS LIKE THEIR MUSIC STALE AND REPETITIVE. HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THIS. YOU CRETIN. YOU ABSOLUTE IMBECILE.

Also who the gently caress reads music reviews anymore, lol. It's got to be just people looking for things to get mad at.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

According to Mookie on Twitter, he's been spending a lot of time working on the coming city pages. Which means it'll probably be traced and we'll get maybe 2-3 pages of it before it permanently retreats back to white void.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He was probably trying to do something on the scale and majesty of this

only, you know, he's lazy and sucks

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Eh, I think Molly Ostertag is a good artist, but she clearly wasn't putting her all into STP, especially near the end. And yeah, it's unfair to compare almost ANYONE to Abaddon. Not only is he really, really good, but he's improved like crazy over the years and he puts in WAY, way more time and effort into this comic than should be humanly possible.

Mookie doesn't need to be on the level of Abaddon, art-wise - I read a lot of comics that aren't, and I enjoy them greatly. But he's either not putting in enough effort to make something decent, or if he is actually is slaving over this comic for long hours, he's bashing his head against the wall doing the wrong things instead of working on improving (or even establishing) his baseline art skills.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That hasn't happened too often, but Snout has definitely been drawn badly off-model. I'd have to go back through the comic to find some examples, but his proportions are pretty inconsistent.

Edit: here we go, found one. These are consecutive pages.

That is not an error someone with a good grasp of anatomy makes.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 15, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah, professional comic artists can be bad so Mookie is actually good. Got it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it's a joke about Mookie's copy/pasting, clearly.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But he also apparently forgets if her bush is supposed to be shaved or not

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, he gets excited about new techniques, then uses them once, doesn't improve his skill with them, and falls back into old habits. What we are seeing ARE his first attempts with no refinement, but he considers them done.

It's the same issue with his writing - he wants to get the next plot point out NOW NOW NOW before he gets bored of it and fixates on a new idea, so he rushes them out with little forethought.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Eh I don't think he traced this one. If he had he might not have hosed up the perspective on the road and buildings.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I spent very little time on this and it was still too much time

Also Corpsemommy's neck appears to be broken, or maybe she's an owl

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 18, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Christ, even a relatively competent, milquetoast page like this one has things that annoy me. In particular, I hate the vacant friendly expression everyone has, it feels so artificial.

Also back to the white void we go!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Are those more plants on the ceiling?

How is mookie so loving terrible at drawing plants, seriously even the ones outside the other day, the trees, make me want to gag.

Man Mookie is so giddy that he discovered the spray tool. No one tell him it's not still 1998 and the world has moved on from MSPaint's bag of tricks

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy poo poo why would he need to trace for such a simple, geometric drawing. Why. WHY

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly who can tell the difference between Mookie half assing because he's not into a project and half assing something he is into because that's all he knows how to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beelzebufo posted:

This is entirely on his switch to digital last year. That's when this starts. It's because he's discovered overlaying the image as a layer and painting on that directly. I don't think he cares substantially less, he just discovered a new way to be lazy.

Nah there are clearly times in the original Deegan comic he traced. He's been doing it a long time.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 24, 2021