Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ague Proof posted:

Is this a monster who makes seemingly helpful signs as traps? Neat.

"Hi, I'm the Flesh Horror. Have you seen the Blood Horror around here anywhere? This is her canyon, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know people have pointed out the obvious already, but how the hell is a 2d piece of paper supposed to help you navigate in 3d in a gorge?

Since the paper can change its image at any time, if the paper was a more skilled artist, it could provide a realtime perspective drawing that pointed in the direction he needed to go, or include an illustration of the place he should be looking at, or draw a simple map to the next page.

For a spell intended to find lost pages, it's not doing a very good job at it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

TheHan posted:

Wow after four updates with the completely un-scary blob monster, Bort looks way more terrifying with that face.

Based on the previous comic, I'd had the impression that Snout already knew it was there, since there wa no way to tell what was foreground and what was background.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Why does this poster exist

For the upcoming Major Motion Picture.

That had approximately $11 to spend on marketing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The last time Snout took magical writing at its word, his house was destroyed.

He should be demanding explanations before deciding whether to find any more pages.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

It's weird that Snout does not appear to have brought any tools for harvesting sap from an ordinary tree, much less a murdertree with extremely tough bark.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

It is enjoyable watching the dogshit protagonist get owned but I'm still confused by why he attempted to contact a tree (noted eye havers) by using a visual medium from a long distance away.

Presumably the person who taught the tree to read wrote about it in his book, after he put up all the warning signs after their acrimonious breakup.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Drunk Theory posted:

Yep. Tree killed itself. About right.

Nah, this is going to end with the tree giving him a thumbs-up, because Snout bandaging the tree to keep it from dying from its self-inflicted wound with the bandages he clearly doesn't have is an even more bizarre outcome.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mikl posted:

You mean... The Legacy of Dominic Deegan?

Is that, like, jazzhands? :thunk:

"In stores now, $39.99 Hardback. Find the next page for Other Buying Options."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

absolutely nothing has happened

Also, he wrote a blog post about how important it was that nothing happened.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I tried to start a family by turning a tree into a woman and a bird into a baby but I kept getting "yes yes yes".

I chose the name "Bort," went out with a Pesant girl named Gwen, and found out that the King had sent an assassin named 'Bort" to come and kill me. I told him, "My name is Bort, not yours. Go away" and he did, and I subsequently found out that I had somehow killed him and Gwen had vanished.

I searched for Gwen in the woods, couldn't find her, gave up, killed myself, decided to come back to life, found Gwen's skeleton, resurrected her, buried her body, married her, had a child, and lived happily ever after. Yes, in that order.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'm sure those soft ripe berries will be just fine banging around in a bindle with a hardcover diary.

And even if they aren't, they'll probably wash right off those paper pages.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Well, he did blog that it was going to be a week of walking

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Welp that's a total of one question I had answered, only I wanted to know WHY his house was destroyed, not just if she knew that would happen.

Indeed. She doesn't need to confine her answers to his single page, yes/no questions, she can clearly write letters in the air, or rearrange ink on the page.

She knows he's Snout, she asked him for questions, and can read, so she doesn't need the huge header to tell her what the list is.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Arudak apparently nearly murdered the Ink Witch when hunting for his pages. (Alternatively, she hurt herself when her magic backfired)

Arudak gave Snout a page when he asked, followed Snout home, put him to sleep, and took his pages back. And Arudak knew the Ink Witch was working with Snout through the pagefinder when he did this.

Arudak seems to be trying to limit the bystander bloodshed in this conflict.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Watch, now that he has the money he won't be able to get the book because... ? Probably Ork coming back to interfere with the quest because... ?

Because the Ork is buying the book to donate it to the Wild Edge library.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

What's the drip pattern for "Refund"?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'm guessing this is as close as we're going to get to a statement that "The Orc did not attempt to kill the Ink Witch, using her magic going haywire in the Wild Edge nearly did."

Edit: Or maybe the Ship just hates her.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

I love it when people who are accused of being liars immediately try and cover up the accusation and inflict violence upon the accuser. Because using violence to stifle accusations of wrongdoing is what heroes do!

it's a fakeout. She's going to use the ink to yell at Arudak in a way that's Legally Distinct From Dialogue.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'm wondering why Snout ran after drinking the non-edible potion, and is still running.

The vendor is by far, the person he's met who's best-placed to help with Snout having drunk a non-edible potion. He already knows what happened and probably knows what the results will be, and how to mitigate them if possible.

Does he think the Potion vendor tried to drug him?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I'm kind of surprised that the bathhouse didn't let him keep the towel. On the other hand, Snout is generally prone to fleeing instead of asking for minimal assistance.

At this point, I'm expecting a clumsy "Arudak stole his clothes" reveal.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

He probably googled people at a diner.

It's probably the most famous diner painting in the world, Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. It seems likely he'll mention it in a blog post, because people are going to notice this one.

Edit: Beaten by nearly an hour. I need to read more carefully before posting.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 31, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Your friend was hard to deal with and wouldn't just give the witches his artifacts (the former problem of which is vague and doesn't really matter), so they stole his stuff and screwed him over.

I think we only know that this Ink Witch decided to steal the pages. We don't know if the other Ink Witches supported her theft, or even knew it was going to happen.

We certainly haven't seen the other Ink Witches come to her aid.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The two newcomers look significantly more realistic than the Ink Witch and Snout, at least in the human portions, not so much the hat and the pants.

Perspective seems a bit off too, in a way I can't quite figure out, but I think the new guy is some kind of giant.

Are we looking at photograph tracing again? Possibly some sort of contest for Patreon contributors?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The Ink witch has her left foot forward, and her right foot twisted in a pretty painful direction.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

It doesn't look like she ripped out any pages, and at any rate, if the book's that important, the newcomers should just take it.

But everyone's into cumbersome ways to do ordinary things, so my guess is: The book's completely physically intact, but all the pages are blank. Ink Witch II took the written words with her.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Achievement Unlocked: Rags to Ruin.
-- Destroy every single object owned by Snout.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I can't help but see the parallels Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hiyoshi) in the origin, but that's probably only because I decided to follow a reading list for Crisis on Infinite Earths back in January.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That’s right! Black Hole Bill is now a CHILD MURDERER! Because just having been a feared bounty hunter isn’t enough, we need to make sure he’s extra-unredeemable! Jocks never prosper.

Is a reason ever given why the Zori apparently hire their children out as ships? And wouldn't the Zori want people to know that they have kids out there being ships, if only to make people think twice about casually killing them?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So... The dead guy used necromantic vines... To transfer his consciousness to a new body? Is that woman a mongrel? If so I can barely tell.

So that's it? That's the big plot involving these mysterious necromantic vines? I'm still baffled this is the story Mookie wants to tell...

I think it's worse than that. The vines convinced the writer to feed his friend to them. He believes it was so they could produce a blank-slate woman for him.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I haven't been up many trees lately, but I can't help but think climbing one naked when all your skin is maybe a few days old is a terribly painful idea.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

TheHan posted:

Oh what a clever little boy. See, we all thought it was the Ink Witch talking when really it was Arudak! That means...hmm, well...I don't know what this means for anything. I am actually surprised, though. Mookie had the self-awareness to throw in that line about Snout forgiving him one more time, it's a small admittance to all the uncool poo poo he had the Ink Witch do.

Looking at the previous page... I don't think Arudak has done much to Snout that required forgiveness.

The only thing I can think of is putting Snout to sleep with magic to retrieve the pages that had been stolen by the Ink Witch.

I guess it could still be the Ink Witch talking, but Arudak is also in the dream now?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Until these last few images, I'd also assumed she was hairy, as neither depiction nor plot gave me any information on how she got those scars.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Dalris Othaine posted:

Is it giant leaves from that tree a few pages weeks back?

It's almost certainly intended to be the fabric from this abandoned house in late October.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Who is pumped up for ANOTHER TRAVEL DIGRESSION DELAYING THE MAIN PLOT????

This clearly isn't a purpose-built bridge.
There's apparently no time pressure for the journey.
All weird plants you have met have tried to kill you.
Take a day or two, look for a safer crossing.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

"You've spent more chapters travelling with her than you have with me, and I won't stand for that."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So even when it's working properly, the Inkship tosses people out a half-dozen meters up?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

It seems like one of two situations has occurred:

1. In the time (hours?) it took to fly back to the Secret Base, neither Plant Woman nor Snout told the Ink Witch anything about her.

2. When the Ink Witch arrived with Plant Woman and Snout, she told Arudak,"Best to let Snout tell you who and what she is."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Medenmath posted:

This was my reaction as well. Does he even have notes? As far as I can tell he's lost everything other than his clothing.

All his clothing was stolen when he bought a shower at a Mongreltown bathhouse. He's wearing clothes Arudak bought for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Odds on this character getting a name in the comic?

(Being named in the Twitter feed doesn't count)