Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Joe Slowboat posted:

...why, in the name of Snout's hideous back-tail-thing, would he write this around a mystery plot if he has NO PLAN. Agh! Aaaargh!

He likes to be surprised by where his own characters take him.

He's said as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

That is good, actually because what better metaphor for an unfamiliar, unknowable territory for the average Deegan fan than a woman's reproductive system?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Invisible Clergy posted:

They're both based on Mrs. Mookie and modeled after her. She's the only woman he's in regular contact with since he had to stop perving on burlesque models when the troupes he used to announce for threw him out for being too creepy. Consequently, she's probably the only woman he can get to model for him.

Wait, hang on, WHAT.

I mean it's less and less surprising the more I think about it, but do you have a source/more info on this?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

That would imply the existence of both an interesting concept and a non-immediately-resolvable conflict that affects the main character.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Remember that self portrait he drew of himself being touched by a standing ovation that some comic panel apparently gave him one day?

His ego is probably still able to run off the fumes of that moment.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

"This is going to bother me for a while" what the gently caress kind of psychotically depressed softboy woobie fuckwit even is this character? His reaction to accidentally sitting down in a place where he's a guest is commensurate with his sense of grief at losing his house and then 2 panels later he's stuffing his face in a way 10 times as socially unacceptable as 'accidentally doesn't realise he should wait to be seated'.

It's like Mookie leaned about how people interact from the cringiest of animes only.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

amigolupus posted:

Also, Thelonius introducing himself as a handsome man already feels like a huge red flag that Mookie will use the 'POC character is a sensual lover' stereotype. Really hoping this isn't leading up to him and Corpsemomwife being paired together.

Nope.

You see, the plant dude is being subservient to the other guy hence the other guy snatching the card away from it, because you don't address servants, nor do you allow them to speak. And we already know that the plant people are oppressed.

Mookie's Forrest-Gump-esque 'charming' idiot who has already taught a black-coded character how to do her hair is going to explain to a POC that servitude is wrong.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Sympathetic = "put upon" with regards to character development, right?

If you can stand going there, look up the definition of "woobie" on tvtropes. It's something that applies directly to mookie's writing and explains much.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

So is this Legacy's jazzhands, or will there be worse to come?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Two Thief or not Two Thief is the most aggravatingly stupid title conceivable and just thinking about how clever Mookie thought he was when coming up with that drek spew bile.

This is a person who presents convention panels on good writing. Webcomics truly are the lowest form of art.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Image thinking that being put-upon is a compelling character trait.

It speaks volumes as to the kind of sadsack his target audience is.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

TheHan posted:

Imagine reading a comic, turning the page and being confronted with this spread.

At least there's no dialogue.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Academics being evil fits with Mookie's MO of "anyone who works hard to obtain something is evil." Academics study for many years and go through a lot to become experts, this is bad. Truly good people already know everything there is to know magically and without the need to work for it. We saw this when Luna started working at the college, she was treated like poo poo her entire life and emotionally abused, certainly never had a formal education, and she suddenly just comes up with amazing breakthroughs in the field of magic that people studying it for years never figured out.

This is at least partially due to him being a person whose writing is largely informed by anime tropes.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why is everyone treating him like a hero when he didn't do anything

No, he was the goodest soft boy, and now his quest item is his reward.

That's how Mookie wants the world to work.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Would that person who was recently advocating for Mookie's talent as an artist like to stand up now, please?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Happy Landfill posted:

Hell, I honestly don't mind an artist taking shortcuts on tedious background things--things like desks in a class room, bookshelves, etc. or reusing simple assets. There's been some talk of this in regards to manga and whether that's considered cheating, but when you consider the grueling work schedules manga artists are on, who cares if all the desks in the classroom are pre-made renders. In all likelihood you're not paying attention to the desks you're paying attention to the characters or what the overall scene is trying to convey. In those cases there's (usually) competent art to distract you from the fact that all the desks look exactly the same. The problem with legacy is that the art is already middling at best so all the re-used assets and traced backgrounds are glaringly obvious. Your eyes can't help but laser focus on the...well, everything.

The other thing is that if your landscape/background is the focal point for the comic because your characters are reacting to it in stunned awe then maybe you should do it well and even do something original!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, to give context, the next arc (if it’s the one I’m thinking it is) was written after… a certain incident in Mookie’s personal life that influenced a lot of what happens in the comic with incredibly obvious parallels.

...and for those of us not in the know?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Billy Gnosis posted:

Mookie has a very "good people are good" "bad people are bad" world view in all of his work not just original dd

Wasn't the Big Bad Unknowable Horror at the end of the original DD basically killed by a bad-guy/shades-of-grey character in what would in any other story be essentially a redemptive self-sacrifice and then from the panel after he dies to the end nothing is mentioned of him again? Or am I grossly misremembering?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

So how many comics will be devoted to corpsemommy feeding the goodest boy his yummy veggie nuggies and telling him he's a special lad while his tail wags?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Good summary SubG, and just to empasize, this entire thing started about trying to chase down pages of a "book" that contained information the Ink Witch and Arudak clearly already knew, and all the "research" conducted so far is all from publicly available books at libraries.

Not every story needs to be about an action hero. But, like, is this even a STORY? There's no mystery. They know what happened! What exactly are they trying to learn?

Are they trying to figure out how to reverse it? Or is someone trying to take control of magic for themselves? THOSE things would be a story, but so far we haven't had any hint that's what might be happening.

Well yes but have you considered that reading books makes you smart and being smart makes you good and therefore snout is the softest goodest boy around? (Unlike those jocks!)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

This all comes back to Mookie's arrested development and his conception of the world being filtered through the lens of a high schooler. I am smart unlike those jocks, my knowledge is what makes me smart, I gain my knowledge through reading books which I enjoy because I'm an intellectual, therefore the best source of knowledge is books because that it what I, a very clever man, have exclusively partaken in.

Add in a bit of hackneyed stereotype regarding the best knowledge in a fantasy setting being lost knowledge in ancient tomes but with a dash of extreme lack of creativity that precludes having to actually hunt them down in forgotten or unusual places, and badda bing badda boom, the quest for knowledge becomes a tedious study session.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Fister Roboto posted:

why do none of the female characters in this comic have names or even basic characterization?!?!?

Fister Roboto posted:

female characters

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Regalingualius posted:

And now I’ve got the imagery of her lair having a stone dais, above which hovers an ever-growing globe of ink as she steals more and more knowledge.

That could even be the basis for a climactic battle: backed into a corner, the Redactor animates the whole wellspring of stolen ink into a guardian monster (like a “book wyrm”paper dragon made up of thousands of pages :v:), or it turns out that all of that accumulated knowledge took on a life of its own and the new entity busts itself out of her control and becomes a far greater threat than she ever was.

gently caress it, you could go nuts. Have it be some sort of conceptual entity connected to the noosphere/the sum total of recorded knowledge: you can stab it in the eye for massive damage, sure, but now no-one knows how to smelt iron anymore. Go nuts! It's a fantasy realm where anything is possible, but instead you're visiting a library to make a 5th-grade report out of things that are already well-known and recorded.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wasn't the dude Snout rescued from the cabin the soul inhabiting her body? That could raise questions of if corpsewifemom even sees herself as a woman but you know I think I'm good with Mookie not trying to write a character struggling with gender identity.

Regalingualius posted:

If there is any question of gender identity, I figure that they’d just wind up going with an androgynous name

Riot Bus posted:

Still overwhelmed that Mookie decided to have a main character who was black but then also decided to make it a character like Corpsewifemom.

C'mon, fellas, Mookie's writing in earnest. I mean it's not like the portrayal of a White character naming a Black character is deeply problematic, what's the worst that could ha

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

TheHan posted:

Shows real confidence to spend a full page spelling out all the questions and plot developments the last two pages tried to convey.

If you know a better way to make a comic without dialogue I'd like to hear it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think it has something to do with books? God, I loving love books.

Mookie loves books in the same way that people who performativity post I loving Love Science factoids loves science.

His enjoyment of literature starts and ends at where he can use it as a signifier of his own superiority.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Everything happening in a featureless white void really makes this poo poo comic easy to manipulate.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

My guess is that Mookie is looking up the antonym of "redact" in a thesaurus

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

TheHan posted:

Oh god, oh my loving god.

This would be the equivalent of her constantly and deliberately referring to Snout as "the deaf mongrel'.

Because he's the original and best of those, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

Mah spoon is too big!

Regalingualius posted:

WHY EVEN BRING IT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE IF THIS WAS GOING TO BE THE ANSWER?!

Because Mookie doesn't plan his storylines from comic to comic as he likes his characters to surprise him.