Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Season 3 of Stranger Things launches tomorrow. If you're reading this I assume you've seen seasons 1 and 2 so you know the main cast, you know the story, and you're here to talk about how good/bad this show is.

Instead of being set in the fall, this season is focused around the summer, specifically Fourth of July celebrations :911: :patriot:

Here's some trailers showing off the new mall coming to town, the fireworks and excitement of summers as a child, the awkwardness of growing up and growing apart from your friends as things like girls and interdimentional monsters get in the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEG3bmU_WaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcnHOQ-cHa0

Please keep the discussion focused on the true hero of Hawkins, Steve Harrington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

aw yeah, excited to get my wino on

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Powering through season 1 again right goddamn now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ_SGjuL72w

Season 2 refresher in case you need one (like me)

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

I'm rooting for more Erica!

Cary Elwes as the new mayor I'm also looking forward to.

The show's at its best when it's focusing on the relationships between characters, and is at its worst when the plot is doing nothing but killing time until the finale when Eleven can raise up both her hands, make a face, and get a nosebleed because she's the only person who's powerful enough to fight the upside down. Hopefully the Duffers haven't written themselves into another corner like that this season and we can get a sense that someone other than 11 is consequential to the conclusion. I've avoided the reviews other than the RT%, so I'm cautiously optimistic this time around.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm in the UK and it is July 4th but it hasn't dropped here yet :smith:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Hearing great things about this season so I'm excited. 2 was a bit of a disappointment but I loved season 1 and this sounds like a return to form.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
S2 seemed like a bit of a disappointment on first watch, but checking it out again it's a lot of fun.

Except for the standalone Eleven episode - it sucks. Expanding the scope of the show seems like a good idea but they botched the execution hard and we just don't care about things outside of Hawkins.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Someone suggested after a few weeks of season two's release to just skip The Lost Sister episode, and to anyone binge watching this show: do this.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I'm in the UK and it is July 4th but it hasn't dropped here yet :smith:

It'll probably be up in 2 hours, 14 minutes. Most US releases go out at 12 AM PT.

Hilario Baldness posted:

Someone suggested after a few weeks of season two's release to just skip The Lost Sister episode, and to anyone binge watching this show: do this.

The only thing maybe worthwhile in that episode is the suggestion that Dr. Brenner may still be alive.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 4, 2019

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Here's hoping they hired some better writers since last season.

The review I saw in USA Today ( "‘Stranger Things’ reinvents itself for a stellar Season 3" ) was very positive but then again so were the reviews for Season 2.

Also can they stop taking 21 months between seasons? This isn't Game of Thrones. The "kids" are going to be in college by Season 4.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Binge watching S1 and 2 really puts in perspective how little Winona Ryder has to do other than "Be a frantic mother" and her almost total absence from the trailers makes it look to me that she won't have much more to do in this season either.

Former Human posted:

Also can they stop taking 21 months between seasons? This isn't Game of Thrones. The "kids" are going to be in college by Season 4.

Finn Wolfhard already looks like puberty hit him with a bat.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Former Human posted:

Almost guaranteed if they make a season 4 they'll set it a few years past the events of season 3 for this reason because yea they're growing up fast.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhh is this out yet? It's 12:40AM on the 4th here and I don't see season 3 yet. I logged out and logged back in and still nothing.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Rageaholic posted:

Uhh is this out yet? It's 12:40AM on the 4th here and I don't see season 3 yet. I logged out and logged back in and still nothing.

12AM Pacific

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Concurred posted:

12AM Pacific
OH. Well that's an odd rollout. At least I'll be able to watch a couple episodes before going to sleep.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

OH. Well that's an odd rollout. At least I'll be able to watch a couple episodes before going to sleep.

It's pretty standard. Hollywood tends to set its watch to West Coast time, so any digital releases tend to go by PST, including streaming series. Video games tend to work the same way. Anytime you see something digital being released at midnight, you can generally assume it means PST.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rageaholic posted:

OH. Well that's an odd rollout.

Same as every other Netflix show...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For some reason I was under the impression that I'd started watching Netflix shows at midnight my time before haha

Guess not!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Just Chamber posted:

Almost guaranteed if they make a season 4 they'll set it a few years past the events of season 3 for this reason because yea they're growing up fast.

That sort of “It” time skip would fit pretty good with the whole 80’s horror thing they’ve got going.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it's weird to assume that it will always be a year between seasons in the first place.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Halfway through the premiere and yep, this is Stranger Things alright!!! Loving it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Halfway through the premiere and yep, this is Stranger Things alright!!! Loving it.
It sure is! :D

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm officially so elderly that teenagers in love is adorable.

Also, go Mrs. Wheeler.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ep 1: Your children are here!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ep 2: can’t believe the villain of this series is Monster Blood

really good first two eps, and now I have to go be somewhere without internet until Saturday night :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Starting ep. 4 now. Man, this show is so good. I don't want to put it down to go to sleep like I should be!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

The_Doctor posted:

Ep 1: Your children are here!

Ep 1: 3.6 Demigorgon... not great, not terrible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ep 1: it was hard to get through for cringing at all the awkward teen romance bits.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The_Doctor posted:

Ep 1: it was hard to get through for cringing at all the awkward teen romance bits.

Yea I can do without that for many more episodes.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I feel like this has a much quicker pace than season 2. I could be completely remembering wrong, but I felt like the actual story didnt really start going till episode 5 or 6, and the first few episodes were just spinning its wheels throwing out a few small bits at a time.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I'm 2 episodes in and boy Hopper sure is a complete rear end in a top hat now huh

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

I feel like this has a much quicker pace than season 2. I could be completely remembering wrong, but I felt like the actual story didnt really start going till episode 5 or 6, and the first few episodes were just spinning its wheels throwing out a few small bits at a time.

I failed to rewatch S1/S2 ahead of this, but that does match my recollection -- S2 spent a fair bit of time introducing Max, tension among the kids, and Eleven being in hiding before things started moving. S3 does seem to get going more quickly.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Looks like another season of adventures for everyone except Will, who just gets poo poo on by life constantly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mrs. wheeler can, once again, get it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Loving the soundtrack this season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nancy’s mom has got it going on.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Don Draper generally has good taste.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

On Episode 5. Season owns so far. Russian Terminator is loving great lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

On Episode 5. Season owns so far. Russian Terminator is loving great lmao.

Plus the diehard quote: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.