Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The directors said "4 or 5 seasons" in an interview, so it's either the final season or the penultimate season.

Also there's the clock again. They're totally doing time travel this season, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They could do that but I kinda got the feeling that the stuff in the 60s is to show that the experiments and rips in space letting the Upside down into the world has existed longer than we thought. Maybe some sci-fi "I was experimenting in the basement and unleashed something terrifying!" type stuff?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The hi-top fade started in like `86.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It is not the final season, that has been repeatedly confirmed, and reading between the lines I doubt season 5 will be the last either.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The creators: Yea we will wrap up the story after about 4 or 5 seasons!

Netflix: Look at this big check!

Creators: You know, I guess we could go for another 10 seasons!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

They know exactly when the kickers in all the kids contract come up. That’s when it ends.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Finn Wolfhard is the one with the good movie deals too, he’ll be wolfharder to keep coming back.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The kids are aging out and I don't think it would work as well with them being out of high school. You also start to run into a problem where all these bright kids either have to go the same college or they all stay in small-town Indiana for some stupid reason.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That's when they start adding in new kids and the current kids become the older teens from the 1st season...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That's when they start adding in new kids and the current kids become the older teens from the 1st season...
gently caress me, I'd watch that!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The last season should be in the present day with everyone aged up via makeup and cg.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Degrassi Nights

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s hard to cast good kid actors and I don’t know if they can strike lightning twice.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s hard to cast good kid actors and I don’t know if they can strike lightning twice.

Yeah but they'd still get paid for the 2nd time, just no 3rd.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hello remember this show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQEondeGvKo

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Owns.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

quote:

Stranger Things 4 Vol. 1

Ugh, gently caress off, Netflix.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sockser posted:

Ugh, gently caress off, Netflix.

Eh this had me worried but at least the second half is just over a month later. I wonder if there will be a cliffhanger with a time jump to explain all the kids aging like 2 years during the COVID delays (that poo poo is so much more obvious during teen years)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hello remember this show

Not really, no, if I'm being honest.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

drat it, the first part is dropping the same day as the first two episodes of Kenobi.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

fartknocker posted:

drat it, the first part is dropping the same day as the first two episodes of Kenobi.

Good day to take off.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's not like Netflix came up with the idea of splitting up final seasons. HBO did it with The Sopranos fifteen years ago.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guy A. Person posted:

Eh this had me worried but at least the second half is just over a month later. I wonder if there will be a cliffhanger with a time jump to explain all the kids aging like 2 years during the COVID delays (that poo poo is so much more obvious during teen years)

What a coincidence, a slightly longer than a 1 month subscription delay of one of their most popular shows..

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

live with fruit posted:

It's not like Netflix came up with the idea of splitting up final seasons. HBO did it with The Sopranos fifteen years ago.

Why "split" the season, and just call it Season 4, then Season 5?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

For the same reason Breaking Bad and Mad Men did it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

live with fruit posted:

For the same reason Breaking Bad and Mad Men did it.

They sold Season 5 of Breaking Bad as separate seasons on Blu-Ray, one is "Season 5," the other is "The Final Season"

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Netflix is still giving us all the episodes faster than if they did a traditional weekly release schedule.

Also, there is still one more season after this.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Zero One posted:

Netflix is still giving us all the episodes faster than if they did a traditional weekly release schedule.

Also, there is still one more season after this.

Have they started on it? Because gently caress those kids aren’t getting any younger.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Something about being able to pay less and not hit contract benchmarks that invoke raises/rights agreements.

It's almost certainly a gently caress you to the production crew.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
we'll have enough seasons to go to the 90s

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The kid who plays Will already looks about 25 in the promo stuff. His bowl cut makes him seem like he’s an adult doing a sketch on Saturday Night Live.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"20 years later"

*Finn Wolfhard played by Dear Evan Hansen kid*

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Eesh, I was already hesitant because of how little I liked season 3 but Gooey Pinhead seems like a stupid villain. In for a penny in for a pound though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sir that's Vecna

season 5 will probably be a big flyer called Tiamat

season 6 will be a horny kobold

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I forgot I was the OP of this thread, haha. I will throw together a season 4 thread in a day or so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan Smithee posted:

"20 years later"

*Finn Wolfhard played by Bill Hader*

:colbert:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The flying things seem like the flying enemies from the first Silent Hill.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Am I wrong to really wish this had become an anthology series instead of a serialized sequel situation?

Certainly it's got enough good will from me to come back for this next installment, but I really feel like it was a missed opportunity for each iteration to be its own weird self contained horror/sci fi story.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I AM GRANDO posted:

The flying things seem like the flying enemies from the first Silent Hill.

According to this ign video with the Duffer brothers that breaks down the trailer, they're "demobats" - since they already did demogorgons and demodogs, they wanted a flying enemy

Sounds like the season's inspirations are Nightmare on Elm Street and/or Hellraiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Robobot posted:

Eesh, I was already hesitant because of how little I liked season 3 but Gooey Pinhead seems like a stupid villain. In for a penny in for a pound though.

But season 3 is tied with one as best season? (2 is fine to good, but misfired with the back door pilot).