Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird.

Gather, citizens, for together we are about to partake on an harmonious mission for the public good. Together we shall legislate rules undertaken to protect the commons. Of this thread.

This is a thread of laws, and as such, we shall legislate together as a body for the laws of this Law-Filled Zone. Any member may suggest new laws in this Law-Filled Zone, and for a suggestion to become law a quorum must be reached, which is for a law to have 3 "aye" votes confirming it after suggestion. You may "nay" vote, but those are purely ceremonial in nature, and have no bearing on The Law.

Breaking The Law in the Law-Filled Zone will result in a six-hour probation.

A law can be as vague or specific as you want, as I will be the judge, jury, and executioner of six-hour probes, in this, the Law-Filled Zone, as ultimately I Am The Law. Although, as The Law, it must be stated that no law may reference itself recursively, as I don't have time to infinitely ponder loops of laws. I am not a monk, I am The Law.

There is only one initial rule to the Law-Filled Zone, and that is that you cannot legislate a law to make this a Law-Free Zone, as there already exists one, and if you wish to post in a Law-Free Zone, you must post in there.

Happy legislating, citizenry.

edit - ~confirmed laws here~
Law 1: no 2nd person pronouns as of this post
Law 2: when a person wants to suggest a law, that person must preface their suggestion with an apology as of this post
Law 3: the traditional verbiage of the "aye" vote shall be disbarred from use, and all previous ayes interred in a special chamber to honour our history. in its stead, the binding language to signify assent to the law will be the user's choice of either "so much this" OR "epic same" as of this post
Law 4:

quote:

I demand a certain bureaucratic structure behind new proposals, including a convincing speech, following this setup:

Apology
Short description of the law
Smiley (subject of other laws)
Convincing speech starting with a reference to another known byob thread (eg "My ghost is a soup") and ending with "If my law is not voted for, the person reading this who has resolved not to vote for my law shall rue the day they made that resolution" to peacefully convince people.
Another different smiley
FIN
is the law as of this post.
Law 5: No other laws are binding itt on wednesday as of this post
Law 6:

quote:

My law idea is that whenever I have a law idea, the ik Brownian Motion, or whosoever shall take up the position of chief justice in perpetuity, must quote the post and tell me I've done a good job. The praise need not be fawning, but it must be stout, honest praise, that could by no means be mistaken for a satire of my person.
is now the law as of this post
Law 7: this post
Law 8: this post

edit 2 - ~ prizes ~

To make this more fun I'm turning this thread into a contest, whoever gets the most laws approved by July 20th (my bday) will receive this Jon Snow Funko-Pop I got from a Funko Random stuff box:

And whoever receives the most six-hour probes will get this Lex Luthor action figure I got from the same box

bird. fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Law idea: no 2nd person pronouns

bird.

alnilam posted:

aye

joke_explainer

Law 1: The clown is the only human

xcheopis

alnilam posted:

Aye

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

alnilam posted:

Aye

Android Blues

proposal: when a person wants to suggest a law, that person must preface their suggestion with an apology

Android Blues

secondary motion: the traditional verbiage of the "aye" vote shall be disbarred from use, and all previous ayes interred in a special chamber to honour our history. in its stead, the binding language to signify assent to the law will be the user's choice of either "so much this" OR "epic same"

bird.

Android Blues posted:

proposal: when a person wants to suggest a law, that person must preface their suggestion with an apology

aye

bird.

Android Blues posted:

secondary motion: the traditional verbiage of the "aye" vote shall be disbarred from use, and all previous ayes interred in a special chamber to honour our history. in its stead, the binding language to signify assent to the law will be the user's choice of either "so much this" OR "epic same"

aye

bird.

alnilam posted:

This is now The Law.

Goons Are Gifts

Android Blues posted:

Aye

Goons Are Gifts

Android Blues posted:

Aye

Goons Are Gifts

joke_explainer posted:

Aye!!

Android Blues

joke_explainer posted:

I might be willing to vote for this - but we need a clear, legal definition of "clown" before I'd be ready to put my name to it.

alnilam

Android Blues posted:

Aye

alnilam

Android Blues posted:

aye

Spiderjelly

Sign of evil.
All posts shall require a smile not previously posted in the thread.

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All posters itt shall paypal me twenty cents so I can eventually have enough money to get a turkey club sandwich from the deli

Android Blues

The Android Blues Group for Action thanks the Alnilam Freedom Congress for its support on this vital legislation. Salutations, everybody. God bless BYOB.

Goons Are Gifts

Spiderjelly posted:

Aye

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Sorry about this but... No law may be applied retroactively to events before its enaction.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Also, because I'm uncertain as to the current state of things...

I'm really sorry to have to say this but... A law becomes a law only when it is promoted to the OP by The Law, not immediately upon receiving its ratifying vote.

Android Blues

roomforthetuna posted:

Sorry about this but... No law may be applied retroactively to events before its enaction.
epic same

roomforthetuna posted:

I'm really sorry to have to say this but... A law becomes a law only when it is promoted to the OP by The Law, not immediately upon receiving its ratifying vote.
so much this

bird.

Android Blues posted:

This is now The Law.

bird.

To make this more fun I'm turning this thread into a contest, whoever gets the most laws approved by July 20th (my bday) will receive this Jon Snow Funko-Pop I got from a Funko Random stuff box:

And whoever receives the most six-hour probes will get this Lex Luthor action figure I got from the same box

Happy legislating, citizens.

roomforthetuna

I sincerely apologize for this proposal: In the event that The Law breaks a law, the proposer of that law may revoke one of the laws adjacent to that law, leaving a blank law in its place.

google THIS

Sorry about this, but all posts of all kinds must contain some kind of law, court, or legislation pun. Puns may not be identical or nearly identical to a previous pun on the same page. Particularly bad puns may be probatable anyway at the enforcer's discretion.

This thread truly is Something Lawful.

google THIS

Android Blues posted:

epic same

bird.

Android Blues posted:

Missed a count of 1 vote earlier, but now caught it. Anyways, This is now The Law.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
welcome to tiny law-filled zone, winston

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goons Are Gifts

As official representative of the Ant Crew Nation I was asked to add that I am not at all sorry to mention that YOUR LEGISLATION IS UNJUST AND INVALID, AYE!!

alnilam

mods???

Goons Are Gifts

Breaking the law, breaking the laaaaaw

Android Blues

google THIS posted:

Sorry about this, but all posts of all kinds must contain some kind of law, court, or legislation pun. Puns may not be identical or nearly identical to a previous pun on the same page. Particularly bad puns may be probatable anyway at the enforcer's discretion.

This thread truly is Something Lawful.

so much this

Twenty Four

Spiderjelly posted:

so much this

roomforthetuna posted:

so much this (but I think it is obvious)

Goons Are Great posted:

Breaking the law, breaking the laaaaaw

*** don't know what it's liiiiiike!

Android Blues

Recognising my civic duty, I have constructed the Aye Chamber for all to marvel at the contributions of our antecedents. See how closely their political zeal mirrors the hot fervor of these modern times!

Each poster interred herein is a hero of posting. May their contribution be remembered by all legislators, who legislate today on the shoulders of these gone-by titans.

Goons Are Gifts

Broke the law, got away. Look at this!!

Goons Are Gifts

My sincerest apologies, I demand a certain bureaucratic structure behind new proposals, including a convincing speech, following this setup:

Apology
Convincing speech starting with a reference to another known byob thread (eg "My ghost is a soup") and ending with "If my law is not voted for, the person reading this who has resolved not to vote for my law shall rue the day they made that resolution" to peacefully convince people.
Another different smiley
FIN

Legislative change: Law breaking last sentence removed.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:

Goons Are Great posted:

My sincerest apologies, I demand a certain bureaucratic structure behind new proposals, including a convincing speech, following this setup:

Apology
Convincing speech starting with a reference to another known byob thread (eg "My ghost is a soup") and ending with "If you don't vote for my law, I will end you" to peacefully convince people.
Another different smiley
FiN

epic same