Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
After 67(!) years, sadly MAD magazine is finally coming off newstands

quote:

Mad magazine, the satirical publication famous for asking, "What, me worry?" and its gap-toothed, big-eared mascot Alfred E. Neuman, is coming off newsstands and will largely stop publishing new content, its owner DC said an email Wednesday night.

Given the age and demographic of most goons, I don't think it would be a bold assumption at all to claim that Mad, popularized by its big-eared, gap-toothed mascot Alfred E. Neuman, was as influential as golden-era Simpsons in shaping the humor of the Something Awful userbase. I'm sure many of us fondly recall reading through each new edition in middle school: Spy vs. Spy, the fold-ins, Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions and so, so much more. Lampooning the political and cultural landscape of America through different decades and poking fun at the absurdity of modern life, Mad has managed to capture the zeitgeist of so many different American moments. Vale, Mad Magazine! Thanks for the laughs!

Would anyone like to share their favourite artists, segments, parodies or covers?

Who could mistake Don Martin's distinct style?

And who could forget the mark Al Jaffee left on countless movie parodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I remember MAD Magazine parodied the South Park movie by taking about how it was rude. They called it "Louder, Ruder, and Uncouth." I remember it clearly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MAD seems like SNL in that it's 99% unfunny poo poo no one remembers and occasionally launches the career of someone talented.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
they were cool in the sixties but didnt change and eventually didnt appeal to anyone anymore

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

:wink:
:wmwink:

There's a digital "totally MAD" collection that is really neat, but I lost interest after 1999.
Since satire died in 2016 I'm not really surprised that they have to shut down. The Onion will probably follow them to the grave shortly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More details via ComicBook.com and Mark Evanier: Two more issues of original content, then it'll just be reprints of old material released straight to "the direct market" (ie. comic book shops) along with annual specials and the occasional book of old material.

Wizard Master posted:

the fold-ins
Al Jaffee is 98 years old and I think he's still drawing those loving things!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

whatheck they were still making MAD ?!?!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

they were cool in the sixties but didnt change and eventually didnt appeal to anyone anymore

yeah, definitely. though in the 90s, i still bought them for spy vs spy and the fold-in.

i think the simpsons gave me high expectations for "mad"... as a kid i expected something more biting and transgressive, rather than the snl-like slush it actually ended up being.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what, me horny?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:rip: dead gay humor magazine.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

More like BAD Magazine

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

oh and sergio aragonés is cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I like Joan cornellas work op. It's not related to mad magazine but I wanted to share my opinion

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
wow - more like ‘sad’ magazine - grim news, OP

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Is that the magazine with all the nudey women in it?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
MAD employees be like “what? Me worky?”

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Jose posted:

I like Joan cornellas work op. It's not related to mad magazine but I wanted to share my opinion

lol jfc

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Honestly though when was the last time anyone read a mad magazine? It was probably the 80s for me OH GOD IM OLD

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i bought one copy of mad magazine in my life. the cover had the taco bell chihuahua on it in a context that implied that the ground beef in the taco bell brand tacos was not actually ground beef but was instead the poop of the aforementioned chihuahua

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 4, 2019

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

oh and sergio aragonés is cool.

:emptyquote:

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
MAD was the epitome of edgy humor for me as a kid and I'm saddened to hear that it will be gone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

yeah, definitely. though in the 90s, i still bought them for spy vs spy and the fold-in.

i think the simpsons gave me high expectations for "mad"... as a kid i expected something more biting and transgressive, rather than the snl-like slush it actually ended up being.

I'm if anything surprised it kept up the exact same style for so long after everything else had moved on. Was it the same writers the entire time like newspaper comics?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, this sucks. Sure MAD was poo poo since the 90's but still. Just the other day I found this pocket book published in 59.

RIP in peace sweet Alfred!

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Jaffe and Aragones are fine and all but for my money Drucker was the best of them.

RIP MAD.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's sucks that it's no longer there for ten years olds to read and discover how much cooler they are than adults.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cracked died in 2007. Someone make a picture with Alfred E Newman hugging a Sylvester P Smythe in heaven. Maybe with an eagle flying through the clouds. Bam viral!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Cracked died in 2007. Someone make a picture with Alfred E Newman hugging a Sylvester P Smythe in heaven. Maybe with an eagle flying through the clouds. Bam viral!

It was cool when the website was good like 10 years ago.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Even in hindsight I don't think I really enjoyed Mad and Cracked in junior high as much as I thought I did because my friends were into it and it was something to talk about other than Nintendo games. Like half the magazine was filled with those awfully unfunny movie parodies for films I wasn't allowed to watch anyways.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Last time I saw one of these on a news stand it was like $18. It didn't seem worth it when :10bux: will get me a lifetime of laughs...

... and friendship :unsmith:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Didn't even get to 69 smdh.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i’m honestly surprised they made it this long.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

lol how any print media is still around.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Seriously, who is the person who has a bought a Mad Magazine in the past 10 years?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I don't think I've ever actually read a MAD Magazine.

Joan Cornella is loving rad though.