Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sleeveless posted:

Please don't, as someone who has been tricked into watching these before the dude who makes them is the embodiment of every negative "male feminist" stereotype imaginable and he makes almost no real new or interesting points because his entire YouTube career is built on hitting softballs to an audience that already agrees with him. He's just another guy whose thumbnails you have to scroll past to get to anything interesting or new because people would rather get gentle pats on the back about how watching cartoons and hating Donald Trump means you're really smart and sophisticated.

e. he also thinks the Fantastic Beasts movies are brilliant and riveting cinema because the main character is incredibly boring and this is a good thing because we need more passive, boring male protagonists in fiction

that and his twitter is a loving hot take zone.

Hammerite posted:

like it's a terrible show but if you watch a bit where Sheldon goes to a woman, "you're clearly on your period and that's why you're telling me off", and your reaction is to think that the show's writers and creators intend for you to take the side of Sheldon when he does that, IDK what to say

my issue with sheldon is he is just an unlikable rear end in a top hat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Coolguye posted:

ultimately the key to understanding the show is to realize that it's just FRIENDS but it's set in a specific subculture rather than a specific city. everyone on camera is unambiguously an awful human being and the only thing that changes is precisely how they're being awful this week.

sure but everythings sunny does that too but its funny. i think alot of the issue with big bang is that shows it as endearing. your supposed to root for sheldon even though he is whiny rear end in a top hat who treats everyone like poo poo and all of them are dicks to each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

It rules how over the course of a decade the exact same people went from saying "The Big Bang Theory is nerd blackface" to "The Big Bang Theory is misogynistic xenophobic reactionary propaganda designed to reinforce toxic masculinity and shame gender nonconformists while normalizing toxic fanbases", the underlying point of directing a disproportionate amount of nerd rage at what is ultimately an insignificant target remained constant but they got better at couching it in the language and tropes of actual important social justice issues.

the latter point was just machintosh and few other articles and they arnt fully wrong just overly academic and kinda too pretentious, the former is mostly from its earlier years and from chans and reddit. that being said the show just isn't funny and the characters are unlikeable assholes or are just dumb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Scene: Sheldon's apartment. Sheldon, Leonard, and Raj are sitting on the couch, facing a TV with the screen hidden from the audience, mashing buttons on Nintendo 64 controllers.
- Leonard: "Nintendo 64."
- Pause for 10 seconds of audience laughter
- Raj: "Oh, guess what bitches? I just got the blue shell!"
- Pause for 15 seconds of audience laughter
- Leonard: *flinching from getting hit* "...I hate the blue shell."
- Pause for 20 seconds of audience laughter.
- Sheldon: *spergy explanation as to why the blue shell is unfair and sucks*
- Pause for 25 seconds of audience laughter
- Sheldon: "But you know what really sucks?"
- Leonard: "What?"
- Sheldon. "Women. At video games."
- Pause for 30 seconds of audience laughter
- Raj: "That is not the only thing that women suck at!"
- Raj nods his head, motioning off screen. The camera zooms out to reveal that Howard is next to them on another couch, forcibly pushing Penny's (or whoever the hell he dates) head down as she gives him head. Raj and Leonard high five.
- Pause for audience laughter until the next commercial break.
End of act one.

Goons: Where is the misogyny? I'm just not seeing it.

i mean of course it has lovely problematic content. its terrible dumb show for boomers and they love that poo poo. like i think macitosh(the video critie maker) makes good points but he also had tendancy to live in his own rear end in a top hat and get really puritanical shitlord about dumb poo poo on twitter and is kinda of black sheep for that reason. i think what most goons are saying is you don't need to have a morally correct reason of why you don't like a show. i just think its not funny and stupidly mean spirited in unfunny way. i don't need to watch some 40 year old west coat "culture detective" tell me the moral reason of why its problamtic and will never live up to his standards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bartok posted:

My only experience with watching Big Bang Theory is it being on in the waiting room of an ER when I had a dislocated knee. I found it irritating because either the Bazinga nerd or the David from Roseanne nerd were just referencing video game poo poo and the laughtrack was going ape poo poo despite the lack of an actual joke. It didn't help that I was in a lot of pain and hoping my insurance wouldn't gently caress me over.
Maybe I should give the show a fair chance when I'm not in immense pain but my barometer for if a TV show is bad is if my stepmom likes it and she loves Big Bang Theory.

because that is the joke. weird nerd who would be playing realistically be playing SS13 or some old or good rpg, plays loving fortnite or some mainstream game that kids play cut to laugh track. like id find it funny if they played weird old poo poo and talked in depth about games/movies that arn't just surface popculture poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

yeah prime time American mom cares about the inside jokes of an indie funded RPG and the YouTube comment section on a StarWars fan film you watched. That'll be a real hit.

true but the show wouldn't be any less funny probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cosmik Slop posted:

"This date is going about as well as Star Citizen's crowdfunding!"

Laugh track: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

63-year old in a recliner: what the gently caress

i mean the old boomer doesn't know what fortnite is either though. plus its all about the delivery i guess.

also wouldnt that mean the date is going pretty well since they did make money for producing nothing.