Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Doronin posted:

As much as I enjoyed Mysterio and how they were creating the Elementals threat, I still don't understand WHY they were doing it. It kind of reminded me of Zemo's plan from Civil War. Like, "ok, so this looked cool in the movie and created some awesome scenes, but what's the endgame here?" I guess it was to create a fake celebrity hero or something to... what end?

Mysterio created the elementals because he wanted people to think he was the new celebrity superhero who saves the world and makes tons of cash, like tony. Because that's just what he deserves because he made a good holographic projector.
And honestly, as far as marvel villains go, mysterio is pretty drat small-time. He's never gonna be a world-ending threat, just a dude who kills a bunch of people to make money and get famous.

I don't really get, though, why people don't like how connected to iron man this movie was. The way they set up spider man in the previous few movies, it would've been hella weird if he was entirely his own character doing his own thing with nothing to do with tony or his company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Doronin posted:

I sure wish we could let Spider-Man have a villain all to himself without it being scraps from the Stark table. Maybe now that HE'S A MENACE it'll set the stage for this Spidey to finally have someone to be his nemesis. I also am not in love with the idea that Spider-Man is mostly dealing with existential threats to earth, instead of just protecting Manhattan from his usual rogues gallery. Spidey just works better on a smaller scale, which ultimately made Homecoming work a little better in the grand scheme of things.

I thought it was fun (and even a possible set-up) when after the Water Elemental attack, Flash mentions a man named Morris getting water powers from a hydro-electric plant(?) accident. In the comics, that's the origin for the Spider-Man villain Hydro Man. It could be cool to do even as a throwaway bit in the next movie if Peter sees a big ol' water guy and swings into action expecting the Mysterio illusion a second time and just gets plastered because, oh, it's actually a big ol' water guy.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

marshmallow creep posted:

I think the team's end goal was to be the next "Iron Man" because they saw Tony was wildly successful with it, both monetarily and in terms of world influence. They feel he stole their ideas (and are probably right) and want what he had for no other reason than to have it because it's theirs by right. Beck was very explicit that they are about to be rich during his speech. After that, it's all about maintaining the illusion. They aren't thinking about actual super heroics or fighting aliens, because they are not thinking about what Tony had to actually do as Iron Man. They are focused on what they "deserve."

That makes a ton of sense. I didn't think about it quite like that.

Mymla posted:

I don't really get, though, why [spoiler]people don't like how connected to iron man this movie was. The way they set up spider man in the previous few movies, it would've been hella weird if he was entirely his own character doing his own thing with nothing to do with tony or his company.

I totally get how connected this and Homecoming were to Iron Man. They're technically direct sequels to Iron Man. Stark teaches Peter the basics in the first one. Now it's about inheriting and managing that legacy because he was 'chosen.' So I guess the next one will be something about rebirth and owning all that. The fact Spidey debuted in Civil War seems like they really wanted to echo the Stark/Parker partnership from the comics that started in that same storyline.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I thought it was fun (and even a possible set-up) when after the Water Elemental attack, Flash mentions a man named Morris getting water powers from a hydro-electric plant(?) accident. In the comics, that's the origin for the Spider-Man villain Hydro Man. It could be cool to do even as a throwaway bit in the next movie if Peter sees a big ol' water guy and swings into action expecting the Mysterio illusion a second time and just gets plastered because, oh, it's actually a big ol' water guy.

Not sure it's worth spoiling since it's speculative, but that would be pretty great as a setup if Parker eventually runs into Hydro Man or Sandman or the like.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mymla posted:

I don't really get, though, why people don't like how connected to iron man this movie was. The way they set up spider man in the previous few movies, it would've been hella weird if he was entirely his own character doing his own thing with nothing to do with tony or his company.

For me, it's not just this movie; it's the MCU's take on the character in general. The MCU is more interested and concerned with having Parker be Iron Man Jr. instead of the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. I'm not a fan of that take, personally. You could just as well title both MCU Spider-Man movies Iron Boy and Iron Boy 2 and their reception would be no different. Also, Stark is a horrible person, and him being the pinnacle of MCU heroism post-Endgame is kinda lol-worthy, so having Stark be Peter's idol and means of self-motivation makes me groan.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 9, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Homecoming was Friendly Neighbourhood. It was the closest MCU take to the Netflix idea of lower level villains with lofty ambitiions of "make money and treat my wife and saughter well". This film lost that in even the explanations fir the plan would fall apart the second A Real Hero showed up. Which is awful because if it wasn't for pure luck Everything would've gone to plan. So they are relying on literally no other heroes appearing ever.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I do like how the Skrull reveal explains why Maria kept calling FuryTalos "Nick".

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

teagone posted:

For me, it's not just this movie; it's the MCU's take on the character in general. The MCU is more interested and concerned with having Parker be Iron Man Jr. instead of the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. I'm not a fan of that take, personally. You could just as well title both MCU Spider-Man movies Iron Boy and Iron Boy 2 and their reception would be no different. Also, Stark is a horrible person, and him being the pinnacle of MCU heroism post-Endgame is kinda lol-worthy, so having Stark be Peter's idol and means of self-motivation makes me groan.

I thought it was funny that Peter has mentioned being a neighborhood Spider-Man a couple of times outside of the Homecoming movie and ends up getting dragged into global bullshit against his will anyway . You could interpret that as the writers know this is just a different deal than what we've seen before in movies or on the pages and he's just gotta do what he's gotta do. Except this version has the might of Stark Industries at his back which I don't remember Peter ever having outside of the original Civil War in the comics.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Spiderverse: Anyone can be Spider-Man

FFH: Are you or are you not a billionaire?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The other thing is that during the comics civil war storyline where Peter is so close to Stark its only because Stark was using him as chess piece to further his agenda, including damasking Spiderman on national TV with no concern on how that might affect his family who doesnt have the security and protection that comes from being a billionaire tech bro.

Their relationship works on the surface until you stop and realize that Stark is a guy who got rich manufacturing weapons and is fine with manipulating high school kids into life threatening situations to serve his political agenda and all that is actually supposed to be somehow ok because he's a more suave version of Louie CK and good at witty comebacks.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Flash - The way I read it, Flash's parents (or just mom?) frequently aren't there for him. It felt like he expected them not to be there but was slightly hopeful that they cared since he could have died. He's a typical bully with a lovely home life, at least emotionally.

It's kind of hard to even get a read on this iteration of Flash as a typical bully; the worst thing he's done in these movies was the Penis Parker chant and he's on the receiving end of bad luck more often than not.

When FFH has him soften lines like "Thought you drowned" with a wink, and the imbalance of power between Flash and Peter seems to be more about money than anything else, he comes off more like a Richie Tozier-like smartass than a bully.

If anything, it seems like they're eliciting sympathy for him and future movies will probably have him as a genuine friend to Peter now that he knows he's Spider-Man.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 9, 2019

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

If anything, it seems like they're eliciting sympathy for him and future movies will probably have him as a genuine friend to Peter now that he knows he's Spider-Man.

This is the first piece of speculation about the next movie which strikes me as meaningfully likely. The kids are where the core continuity seems to be happening.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

-Blackadder- posted:

The other thing is that during the comics civil war storyline where Peter is so close to Stark its only because Stark was using him as chess piece to further his agenda, including damasking Spiderman on national TV with no concern on how that might affect his family who doesnt have the security and protection that comes from being a billionaire tech bro.

Their relationship works on the surface until you stop and realize that Stark is a guy who got rich manufacturing weapons and is fine with manipulating high school kids into life threatening situations to serve his political agenda and all that is actually supposed to be somehow ok because he's a more suave version of Louie CK and good at witty comebacks.

Didn't May and MJ live in Avengers Tower when Spidey unmasked? I feel like that is a fair reason for him not to be concerned about Spider-Man's family's safety. Also, at that time he unmasked, Peter was a man in his 30s (or late 20s, not sure but I thought he had made it to 30?). Stark didn't unmask him, Peter chose to unmask himself. Sure, Tony asked him to but it's not like it was done forcefully or against his will.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I loved it. Really fun. Unlike most people here based on the post I actually really like the Spiderman As Ironman's Successor storyline, and I thought this movie did some really fun (if fairly boilerplate) things with it.

Also I'm a teacher, so I honestly kind of loved the Teenagers Being Teenagers stuff others say they didn't like. They're REALLY real. I'm actually kind of shocked at how authentically these kids are written and acted. It made me feel old, but it was also really amusing to me in "Oh yeah, that's how they are," kind of way, and I found it emotionally satisfying because it helped me feel like they're really trying and succeeding in an effort to adapt the character of Peter Parker to speak to a new generation. My students loved the last one and I assume they'll love this one too.

Honestly my biggest point of trepidation was the post-credits where Spidey was forced into his MENACE :argh: box AND had his identity revealed. I suppose those new conflicts are important for him in becoming his own character and stepping out of Tony's shadow since he's going to be Marvel's new headliner, and I was really happy to see the old JJJ back AND that they brought in the "Daily Bugle is InfoWars," thing from the PS4 game. But I just never much liked that whole "Everyone hates Spiderman," plot and I was glad it wasn't a part of this Spiderman, so it's disappointing to see that well drawn from. I'm sure they'll do it well in the long run though. As for his identity going public, I guess I was just hoping they were going to focus more of him trying to juggle his personal desires and heroic obligations thing we saw a lot of in this movie within the new status quo of all his loved ones knowing the truth (if only because it means absolutely no MISUNDERSTANDINGS plotlines), rather than totally shelving of that for whatever they're going to do now that he's public AND hated.

Also worth noting that San Diego Comic Con is coming up in just a few days. I would bet a LOT of money we're going to learn tons about the next Phase there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

So after sitting on my thoughts for a while, I'm gonna go ahead and say Far From Home is the worst Spider-Man movie for me. What cemented this wasn't the messed up drone stuff, but having Back in Black soundtrack the scene where Peter is putting together a new suit inside Stark's private jet and Happy looking at him all proud and poo poo. That elicits such a strong "oh gently caress off" reaction from me and sours the character well beyond anything bad that TASM2 or Spider-Man 3 did imo.

is there any marvel movies you do like? It seems like they're a waste of money for you.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shageletic posted:

is there any marvel movies you do like? It seems like they're a waste of money for you.

Yes. Cap 1 and 2, Doctor Strange, the Iron Man Trilogy, The Incredible Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor 3 are the MCU movies I enjoyed and think are good, entertaining movies. The MCU films I legit don't like are Avengers, Age of Ultron, Ant-Man 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Thor 2, and now Far From Home. Everything else is ehh, whatever.

[edit] I did a re-watch of all MCU films prior to Endgame since Winter Soldier is the only one I've seen more than once. I came away liking Doctor Strange and The Incredible Hulk a lot more than I thought I would. Doctor Strange is, imo, the best film from Phase 3.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 9, 2019

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

teagone posted:

For me, it's not just this movie; it's the MCU's take on the character in general. Also, Stark is a horrible person, and him being the pinnacle of MCU heroism post-Endgame is kinda lol-worthy, so having Stark be Peter's idol and means of self-motivation makes me groan.

Stark being a horrible person is part of the point of his heroism. This very movie takes several lines out to shout this at the audience: Tony was a mess. He hosed up all the time. He second guessed everything. Except that he knew Peter was the right person to protect the world in his place when he was gone. Tony isn't Peter's idol or self-motivation. Iron Man is. And not even Tony was worthy of Iron Man.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

Yes. Cap 1 and 2, Doctor Strange, the Iron Man Trilogy, The Incredible Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor 3 are the MCU movies I enjoyed and think are good, entertaining movies. The MCU films I legit don't like are Avengers, Age of Ultron, Ant-Man 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Thor 2, and now Far From Home. Everything else is ehh, whatever.

[edit] I did a re-watch of all MCU films prior to Endgame since Winter Soldier is the only one I've seen more than once. I came away liking Doctor Strange and The Incredible Hulk a lot more than I thought I would. Doctor Strange is, imo, the best film from Phase 3.

Oh ok, sorry about that then.

I re-watched GoTG 2 recently and warts and all I found it more affecting than the first. Made me tear up plenty in fact.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

Stark being a horrible person is part of the point of his heroism. This very movie takes several lines out to shout this at the audience: Tony was a mess. He hosed up all the time. He second guessed everything. Except that he knew Peter was the right person to protect the world in his place when he was gone. Tony isn't Peter's idol or self-motivation. Iron Man is. And not even Tony was worthy of Iron Man.

Why should Tony being a fuckup/hot mess/whatever affect and motivate Peter's heroism? It shouldn't. That's my problem. Peter doesn't get to grow and develop on his own merit, but instead his strength of heroism thrives off of Stark's Iron Man's legacy. gently caress that noise imo. I'm personally just not of fan of that take. You would also think Stark would've second guessed giving Peter—a literal teenager in high school—sole access to an advanced AI weapon system that's omniscient and has an army of attack drones on standby for orbital strikes, but since Stark believed Parker would be the right person to protect the world in his place after he died, it's cool and fine. Lol. What's even worse is how the film actually plays up EDITH for funsies at times.

[edit] Furthering my thoughts real quick: I actually would have been fine with the film if Peter would've been like "EDITH is too much power for one person" and destroyed the glasses or told EDITH to dismantle the orbital drones and self-destruct. It'd be symbolic of him not having to live up to Stark's Iron Man's Legacy, and instead just be who he is moving forward: Spider-Man. But nope, at the end of the film, Peter's got EDITH cozily hanging off his shirt collar, right next to chest.

[edit]

Shageletic posted:

I re-watched GoTG 2 recently and warts and all I found it more affecting than the first. Made me tear up plenty in fact.

It has some cool visuals, but once Quill gets on the dad planet, the pacing gets hosed for me and I just check out heh.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 9, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ElectricSheep posted:

It's kind of hard to even get a read on this iteration of Flash as a typical bully; the worst thing he's done in these movies was the Penis Parker chant and he's on the receiving end of bad luck more often than not.

When FFH has him soften lines like "Thought you drowned" with a wink, and the imbalance of power between Flash and Peter seems to be more about money than anything else, he comes off more like a Richie Tozier-like smartass than a bully.

That's fair, I haven't seen Homecoming since it came out and I remember him being a lot shittier of a person then but I'm probably just mis-remembering. Definitely agree with that last spoiler.

Since we don't have a Harry Osborn (yet?) maybe Flash will fill that role somehow. I don't think we know what his parents do. Not that this version NEEDS any Osborns, they're doing pretty well without.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

teagone posted:

Why should Tony being a fuckup/hot mess/whatever affect and motivate Peter's heroism? It shouldn't. That's my problem. Peter doesn't get to grow and develop on his own merit, but instead his strength of heroism thrives off of Stark's Iron Man's legacy. gently caress that noise imo. I'm personally just not of fan of that take. You would also think Stark would've second guessed giving Peter—a literal teenager in high school—sole access to an advanced AI weapon system that's omniscient and has an army of attack drones on standby for orbital strikes, but since Stark believed Parker would be the right person to protect the world in his place after he died, it's cool and fine. Lol. What's even worse is how the film actually plays up EDITH for funsies at times.

[edit] Furthering my thoughts real quick: I actually would have been fine with the film if Peter would've been like "EDITH is too much power for one person" and destroyed the glasses or told EDITH to dismantle the orbital drones and self-destruct. It'd be symbolic of him not having to live up to Stark's Iron Man's Legacy, and instead just be who he is moving forward: Spider-Man. But nope, at the end of the film, Peter's got EDITH cozily hanging off his shirt collar, right next to chest.

Peter was already a heroic person before Tony ever stepped into his life. That's why Tony was interested in him in the first place. He had all the morality and goodness of Steve but he also had the analytical mind and inventiveness of Tony. The best of both worlds. The notion of the story ark from Civil War to now is that Tony and Peter both had push-and-pull in their motivations all the way along, and this was the story where it all came to a head.

Tony wanted to groom Peter to be the world's protector if anything happened to him since he saw the potential there that he never saw in anyone else, but he also felt like he didn't have the right to burden him with that so he DID hesitate throughout their relationship, keeping him at a distance and even actively trying to keep him out of conflicts to protect him. This was almost certainly partially informed by guilt and second-guessing over involving him in Civil War in the first place, but also pride in what he accomplished in that conflict proving that Tony had been right to keep tabs on Peter and call on him when he felt it was needed.

Peter for his part is severely lacking in ambition and self-confidence, the two qualities Tony Stark had in greatest abundance (at least as far as his publicly projected persona) and this lack informs both why he is so in awe of him (or, again, more importantly the projected persona) and a lot of his behavior across his appearances. He holds onto a secret identity when Tony didn't both because he's trying to keep his "normal," life and because he worries he can't protect his loved ones, two challenges that Tony embraced by revealing that he was Iron Man from the outset. This isn't an inverted parallel that comes from his relationship with Tony, it's all Peter's own, but it helps inform us as to how and why their personalities clash as often as Peter stands in Tony's shadow. This personality is why he waffles back and forth between contradictory visions for his own role as a hero, at one moment expounding upon the notion that he's a "friendly NEIGHBORHOOD Spiderman," and in another intentionally rebelling against that characterization, especially when it's applied to him from outside. Peter's idealization of Tony is as much a product of his own insecurities as anything else, and its when he feels secure in himself and his sense of right and wrong that he can best act outside of Tony's shadow. That remained true in this movie as it has in all his previous ones.

Ironically the moment to me that you said most exemplified Spiderman's assimilation into the Iron Man legacy, the playing of Back in Black while he goes to work on a new suit, was to me a big signal that he's acting as his own hero outside of Stark's shadow. "I love Led Zepplin!" Happy may be seeing a torch being passed, but Peter only sees what he has to do and the tools in front of him to do it. He's not acting because it's expected of him and he's fulfilling his destiny, he's acting because he's finally self-actualized after all the self-doubt.

In the end I think it's a large mischaracterization of the story to say that Peter's heroism thrives off Iron Man's legacy and doesn't grow on it's own merit. If that were true he would have never followed Tony into space after being told BY TONY not to do that. Their relationship is not a Batman and Robin one, it's more complicated than that. And none of that even touches on the Father-Son themes.

For the record, I also would have preferred if he'd just junked the Drone Weapon Satellite, but not because he feared that power (and responsibility), just because he should be moral enough to know such a dangerous weapon is not worth keeping around, and because he knows he doesn't need it to protect the world. After all, if you're nothing without the Drones you're nothing with the Drones.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It all just comes to my not liking how much Stark/Iron Man informs Peter's character. I'm not down with that poo poo, at all. It was great in Homecoming when the story had Peter reject Stark's offering of the Iron Spider suit and officially becoming an Avenger. He was good. FFH in comparison takes a massive step backward with Peter wholly accepting EDITH and becoming the person that Happy said Stark told him he would be. That shouldn't have been Parker's trajectory imo, but it is what is. It really just feels like the MCU doesn't want to acknowledge the existence of a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Instead it prefers the likes of an Iron Man Jr./Iron Boy/whatever, and that's kinda lame imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 10, 2019

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

teagone posted:

It all just comes to my not liking how much Stark/Iron Man informs Peter's character. I'm not down with that poo poo, at all. It was great in Homecoming when the story had Peter reject Stark's offering of the Iron Spider suit and officially becoming an Avenger. He was good. FFH in comparison takes a massive step backward with Peter wholly accepting EDITH and becoming the person that Happy said Stark told him he would be. That shouldn't have been Parker's trajectory imo, but it is what is. It really just feels like the MCU doesn't want to acknowledge the existence of a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Instead it prefers the likes of an Iron Man Jr./Iron Boy/whatever, and that's kinda lame imo.

I mean, the difference is that Stark is dead now, so I'm sure he feels like he has to. When he turned down the offer at the end of Homecoming Cap, Tony, Black Widow, and Thor were all available relative to now. And the same day Tony made him an Avenger (relative to Peter), the first three of them all died/retired, and Thor left.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

teagone posted:

Frankly I've found the notion of the Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman to be kind of farcical for pretty much my whole life. Spiderman's popularity led to ubiquity. There is no important event or major villain OR hero he doesn't have some relationship to, and he's frequently thrust into top-flight roles despite his supposedly humble status as a Local New York Hero. Turning that friction between premise and reality into a storyline is a good idea.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lid posted:

Also this because YOU ARE NOT RAIMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_JzihiWvlQ

Good lord, that music does nothing. That's painful to watch after seeing what Spider-Verse did with What's Up Danger. Even the most generic of MCU movies know how to match a score to a scene.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Bummed out Karen the suit lady wasn't in this one :(

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
it's weird that the John Wick franchise cares more about New York than the new Spider-Man movies do

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I like the part where he shot some web.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sanguinia posted:

There is no important event or major villain OR hero he doesn't have some relationship to, and he's frequently thrust into top-flight roles despite his supposedly humble status as a Local New York Hero. Turning that friction between premise and reality into a storyline is a good idea.

I agree with this, I just would've preferred it if Tony Stark didn't play such a significant role in the storyline, that's all. Having Peter come to grips with moving beyond just being a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man and adapting to his new role of world defender against Avenger level threats would have been cooler and more badass without the Stark influence imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 10, 2019

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I saw this last night and thought it was ace! Going to spoil a lot as I do not want to ruin it for anyone who likes Marvel films.

- I loved how it was a more skewed mirror of Iron Man one, complete with announcing to the world of the secret identity.

- That stretch where Mysterio is using his power to full effect before pushing Peter in front of a train was amazingly well animated and classic comic book use of powers. I loved how unnerving and unsettling it was. Our cinema was quite loud as well so when the train hit Peter it jolted me out of my chair in fright. It is nice that when they have showed classic villains they have amped up the powers to a believable level (like with the vulture) so I really did appreciate seeing it used so effectively.

- BFP on his suitcase was just a sweet little touch and is one of the little attention to details things that I love about Marvel films.

- MJ was absolutely brilliant and I liked that she was more of the pursuer with her own agency. I especially loved her trying to get to Peter to save him with the mace. Zendaya is superb casting and they really wrote the role to her strengths. Her face during the swinging montage was absolutely incredible and made me overjoyed to see, though I probably would be as scared!

- JK Simmons as JJJ is one of those things you always wished would happen but never dared expect. And they did it! And they made him an analogy to the news crackpots on youtube and infowars and such! Great idea and it does work as I have already experienced a really good version with him as this in the PS4 game.

- I liked that Peter was grappling with being the person that the world would look up to now. They have suddenly lost most of the Avengers including the dual combo of Iron Man and Captain America. These are big boots to fill and the way they positioned Tony as a father figure to Peter right when he needed one makes him worrying about living up to the ideals feel very natural. That he would immediately gravitate to a hero who reminds him of Tony (especially wearing the glasses) makes absolute sense. I would have done the same at 16. A very turbulent time for someone, especially someone who is expected to fill such an important role.

- Loved the end credits stinger about Nick and Maria. They were so off it was confusing me until then, then I guessed that it was likely this was the reason Fury did not say anything at Tony's funeral as Talos would not really know what to say!

- The new suit is beautiful and probably one of my most favourite of all!

- The forced reveal and twisting to make Spider-man the bad guy is a really intriguing place for it to go. I am willing to bet that the whole of his class (who are all great casting) would absolutely disbelieve the footage except for Brad. I wonder if Brad is going to be a bigger antagonist and replace Flash.

- Jake Gyllenhal finally got to be in a Spider-man movie! :D And knocked it out the park!

I really had a lot of fun and I would say this is a nice solid companion to Homecoming with Tom Holland really slipping into the role. I genuinely think he could be the lead for the next lot of Marvel films and would have no problem with him becoming the RDJ analogue.

It makes me wonder what the next film is likely to be!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It was pretty good. I liked how they handled Mysterio’s character, and made him over the top theatrical, including having henchmen write dialogue and iron his cape during a crisis.

Some quibbles:
-The first half was kinda dull if you were familiar with Mysterio, I was hoping for a double fake out where he really is good guy (like they did with the Skrulls). After he was revealed it picked up.

-The glasses made no sense. They allow anyone it recognizes as an admin full control of a WMD satellite? In a world where Tony knows shapeshifters and Loki exist? It was understandable Mysterio would have full control for a little while before Peter can tell anyone, but after Happy knows Stark Industries should have been able to lock out the account, even if Happy’s phone is tapped. Fly to any of the Stark offices in Europe. And why didn’t Mysterio take a second to delete Peter’s profile, or at add a password?

-The high school classmate stuff got tedious. His teacher is a goof and student romances are silly, I get it. It was better managed in Homecoming where there were consequences to students wandering off and it was grounded, now it was just “do whatever you want, 16 year old kids.”

-Peter was too casual about taking his mask off. Kitchen of a fundraiser, Tower Bridge during major news event, meeting with Fury and lots of other people... etc.

Overall though still good. The Nick Fury Skrull reveal was fun and explained his inability to figure out Mysterio.

I'm barely familiar with Spider-Man and I knew Mysterio's deal. I liked how they used him to tease the multiverse idea; I think it was to get your average movie-goer on-board with the concept through the power of suggestion, which is a very cool meta game since that kind of manipulation was what the movie was about. I even liked that he called this universe 616, like he almost got it right by accident. (I'm sure someone knows what number the MCU is.)

I kept expecting the EDITH glasses to malfunction because Tony would have forseen them falling into the wrong hands. When Mysterio's holographic suit started glitching out I was sure that's what was going on for a moment.

And yeah he was way too casual with the mask. There's cameras everywhere, especially in all the touristy spots they were blowing up.

I didn't like the Fury/Skrull reveal. Kind of takes the bite out of Nick Fury's character. I didn't like the identity reveal either, but at least that's going to be fun to see how they handle it... in probably like two years from now. A Skrull showing up as Peter Parker being saved by Spider-Man?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so I really land at a solid 7/10 on this movie. It had some great moments and some great performances but a couple big issues really kind of get under my skin.

Graphically I felt like this is some of the worst CG I’ve seen in a movie. I don’t know if they chose some of this stuff stylistically but I can’t say I was super impressed. The final hallway sequence was superb and the big bridge fight was super Spider-Man badass action but every other heavy CGI scene really didn’t sit right.

The other major issue is plot related:The most important scene in the movie is the bar, right? Where they have to create this entire relationship between Peter and Quentin so that he gets the glasses? So why is Peter able to take them off of Quentin and just reassign himself the controls while Quentin is technically still alive right next to him? I was hoping for some real dramatic tension, like “How is Spidey gonna trick Beck into giving him back EDITH? Will he have a horrible dark turn a la’ Man of Steel? OMG!?” and then it turns out to be as simple as just putting them back on. It really stands out as some really inconsistent writing specifically because like the entire plot hinges on them not working that way earlier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's explained by the first post credit sequence. Why would Peter need to trick Beck into giving him back the glasses? At that point Beck's plan was to record Spiderman using EDITH so he could pin the blame for the drone stuff on him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

The other major issue is plot related:The most important scene in the movie is the bar, right? Where they have to create this entire relationship between Peter and Quentin so that he gets the glasses? So why is Peter able to take them off of Quentin and just reassign himself the controls while Quentin is technically still alive right next to him? I was hoping for some real dramatic tension, like “How is Spidey gonna trick Beck into giving him back EDITH? Will he have a horrible dark turn a la’ Man of Steel? OMG!?” and then it turns out to be as simple as just putting them back on. It really stands out as some really inconsistent writing specifically because like the entire plot hinges on them not working that way earlier.

Tony Stark gave Peter Super Admin rights.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Why didn't Tony use EDITH during the Thanos fight in Endgame?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

He was not dead then. He would have had to call her IAAATH.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Tony "We Don't Make Weapons Anymore except maybe international network of spy satellites filled with killbots under the control of one user" Stark

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean, yeah? Stark only gave up on selling weapons, he continued to develop the Iron Man suit for his own personal use.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's constantly been a thing that comes up in the comics, where Tony's just kind of an insane control freak who thinks only he should have access to his own technology because no one else is moral enough to use it. There was a storyline called Armor Wars where he went around the world destroying technology (mostly armors) derived from stark designs because he thought that would absolve him of the guilt he felt contributing to global violence and war crimes through his terrible inventions. A bunch of superheroes with Stark-derived tech got their toys crushed and were sad.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jose Oquendo posted:

Edith is just a new variant on Friday, he did use it during Endgame. Why he didn't use the drone satellite could have a dozen reasons.

teagone posted:

I agree with this, I just would've preferred it if Tony Stark didn't play such a significant role in the storyline, that's all. Having Peter come to grips with moving beyond just being a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man and adapting to his new role of world defender against Avenger level threats would have been cooler and more badass without the Stark influence imo.

That's fair. And I'm willing to admit that one reason it works so well for me is probably that Iron Man has been my favorite since I was like 7 years old. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean, yeah? Stark only gave up on selling weapons, he continued to develop the Iron Man suit for his own personal use.

The second movie literally opens with him telling the government of the nation he lives in to gently caress off, it's his poo poo.

This later gets retconned as Hydra controlling everything so he was morally right to do this, which is really funny.