Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bust Rodd posted:

See, the high production values of Superhero action movies are the only thing worth seeing in theatres because of the visual and sonic spectacle.

The MCU is largely plagued by boring rear end action scenes imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

teagone posted:

The MCU is largely plagued by boring rear end action scenes imo.

It does kinda feel like the same thing 24 times in a row now..I'd kill for someone to do something really subversive with it but it's all design by disney committee sooo I don't think I'm getting a david cronenberg hulk movie anytime soon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FFH had some cool stuff, but yeah, majority of MCU action has been pretty dull throughout phases 2 and 3. Worst being Black Panther and Captain Marvel imo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sponges posted:

Horror movies are far less predictable than superhero movies. Like come on.

Haha what, mainstream horror is (with some notable exceptions) the most predictable poo poo there is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm not saying I didn't want to go see Midsommar because it's predictable, I just don't ever buy anything with "CULTS" as the main premise, I can't. I'm not "tuu smart for movies" I just think Midsommar and Hereditary and Get Out and every other major horror release that ends in "and the mysterious group of people killed all the main characters of the film because they X" is just not buyable, and for horror movies to work you need to empathize with SOMETHING on the screen, and none of it lands for me. I just think the premise of "an unseen hand guides you to a group of people who secretly want to kill you and your life is no longer your own" is just 100% not entertainment to me, no matter how you slice it.

Another example of this is Jail. i don't think jail is fun, I don't think jail-based drams like Oz or OitnB are or could EVER be entertaining for me, because the format of "It's prison!" is a total false start for me.

Similarly, OF COURSE the MCU movies are hamstrung by their action sequences, that's literally the whole reason I watch them in theaters. Big budget action movies are the best reason for movie theaters to still exist, why would you ever go see a romantic drama or a comedy in the theater?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Comedies are fun to see in a theater on opening night, akin to going to a stand up comedy special in a way. Some of the funniest/funnest experiences I've had was watching Pineapple Express, The 40 Year Old Virgin and Forgetting Sarah Marshall in a packed theater with a group of friends. Everyone was loving dying.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Going to the cinema is always a bloody lottery because sure, 4 times out of 5 it's fine, but that fifth time you got two tossers talking or using their phones throughout the movie and you wonder if homicide is justifiable in some cases.

Which is why I've started watching movies like 1-2 weeks after premier at 3 in the afternoon so there are only like 10 people tops in the theater.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

teagone posted:

Comedies are fun to see in a theater on opening night, akin to going to a stand up comedy special in a way. Some of the funniest/funnest experiences I've had was watching Pineapple Express, The 40 Year Old Virgin and Forgetting Sarah Marshall in a packed theater with a group of friends. Everyone was loving dying.

Nothing has ever topped seeing the first jackass with some friends in a theater for me. I don't think I've ever laughed at any of their small screen antics and I had bootlegs of the CKY vids cuz I'm old.

That first movie though, made myself ill with violent laughter.

Mymla posted:

Going to the cinema is always a bloody lottery because sure, 4 times out of 5 it's fine, but that fifth time you got two tossers talking or using their phones throughout the movie and you wonder if homicide is justifiable in some cases.

Which is why I've started watching movies like 1-2 weeks after premier at 3 in the afternoon so there are only like 10 people tops in the theater.

I had the same strategy but I started to realize recently if I can catch it in the first day or two or three the experience is way better (obviously this also depends on the film itself). People going to see it right away are actually there to see the thing and not half rear end pay attention to it while being a total asshat.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 13, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

teagone posted:

FFH had some cool stuff, but yeah, majority of MCU action has been pretty dull throughout phases 2 and 3. Worst being Black Panther and Captain Marvel imo.

You mean Best Picture Nominee Black Panther. Can’t say that about any other MCU film, so it’s clearly the best lol

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

With the MCU you get to see bad comedy AND bad action scenes. It’s the ultimate theater experience.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

sponges posted:

With the MCU you get to see bad comedy AND bad action scenes. It’s the ultimate theater experience.

The action scenes are of very consistently high quality, though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
This wasn't bad in terms of the VFX/action sequences, they just all sort of melded together and nothing really stood out for me. Nothing on the level of a slow motion shot of doc oc throwing a car through a restaurant window, orrr even him having to hold together a staten island ferry from the last movie.

the JJ thing is the most memorable thing but this one feels pretty skippable overall

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Big budget action movies are the best reason for movie theaters to still exist, why would you ever go see a romantic drama or a comedy in the theater?

I mean even then there’s more impressive action movies out there. Like Hardcore Henry, a movie I would totally see in the theaters again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mymla posted:

The action scenes are of very consistently high quality, though.

Watch more movies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They're fine. I don't think the action choreography is why most people watch these films.

FFH was enjoyable because Mysterio is a great character and they made good use of his shtick, and because the school and teacher cast were consistently entertaining. :shrug:

e: Also how can anyone go through life entirely avoiding entertainment with certain settings or conceits. I get not liking a genre but just rejecting all films involving cults or prisons just seems mad.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Steve2911 posted:

e: Also how can anyone go through life entirely avoiding entertainment with certain settings or conceits. I get not liking a genre but just rejecting all films involving cults or prisons just seems mad.

I sort of get it..LOTR and Harry Potter stuff feel like torture to me and I get poo poo for it constantly....Some genres or conceits just do not appeal to some people whatsoever.

That said not watching "Bronson" because it's a prison movie would be a shame and you'd miss an incredible film for not being open to an exception here or there..soooooo good arguments on either side of the coin I guess.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Honestly Peters whole fight on the bridge, especially with the web-trampoline, was more creative a Spiderman fight than I've seen at least in recent memory. I thought it was really well choreographed.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 13, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

FFH was just too glib imo. It's a movie that has nothing interesting to say, especially with its protagonist. For me it really just boiled down to a kid genius that has a crush and misses his genius billionaire mentor. I get that the MCU probably wanted to go a different route than the working class Spider-Man who's barely holding everything together that made the Raimi version so relatable, but going the route of making Parker a tech bro with billion dollar assets at his disposal is just kind of :geno: imo.

That said, FFH did have some decent action compared to most MCU fare, but that benefit is undercut by the crappy story and Peter's lack of character progression for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok upon reflection I lied because I really liked Shawshank and the first season of Prisonbreak so I guess it’s just additional prison drama injected into the environment that I object to.

I feel like the next Spider-Man movie will be the best live action one.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

teagone posted:

Watch more movies.

There are better action scenes, like John Wick probably outdoes most of the MCU, but that doesn't make marvel action scenes not good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mymla posted:

There are better action scenes, like John Wick probably outdoes most of the MCU, but that doesn't make marvel action scenes not good.

No, but the fact that they're not good does.

I can't even think of the last memorable fight scene in an MCU film. I guess the fight on Titan in Infinity War is fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

I guess the fight on Titan in Infinity War is fine.

The only good part about that fight was when Strange and Thanos had their magic duel, but even then, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix did the whole "big budget wizard battle" better.

[edit]

Movie Fight™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaraBUmQGI0

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHDS5Rn4kg

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 13, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

teagone posted:

The only good part about that fight was when Strange and Thanos had their magic duel, but even then, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix did the whole "big budget wizard battle" better.

Yeah, I picked it because it was the most recent one I could think of that was competent. The only MCU fight scenes that stick in my mind are, like, Hulk vs. the military in The Incredible Hulk or Captain America rescuing the POW's in The First Avenger. Post-Avengers 1 is a wasteland.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I enjoyed JG, but PP as the new Tony wasn't something I wanted from the character. Homecoming welded the interpersonal teen romantic comedy elements and the superhero elements well, this didn't at all.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm not saying I didn't want to go see Midsommar because it's predictable, I just don't ever buy anything with "CULTS" as the main premise, I can't. I'm not "tuu smart for movies" I just think Midsommar and Hereditary and Get Out and every other major horror release that ends in "and the mysterious group of people killed all the main characters of the film because they X" is just not buyable, and for horror movies to work you need to empathize with SOMETHING on the screen, and none of it lands for me. I just think the premise of "an unseen hand guides you to a group of people who secretly want to kill you and your life is no longer your own" is just 100% not entertainment to me, no matter how you slice it.

Counterpoint: The Wicker Man (the original, not the remake in case that needs to be said) is tremendous.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Elevator fight in winter soldier was great.

Does every fight in daredevil count? Cause every fight in daredevil was also great.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I agree Ben Affleck was amazing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

beanieson posted:

Does every fight in daredevil count? Cause every fight in daredevil was also great.

If the MCU doesn't care about its TV shows then I don't see why we should have to.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

zer0spunk posted:

I've seen some real poo poo movies in the theater and you couldn't pay me enough to go see Crawl.

Plus the trailer refers to Sam Raimi as the "producer of the evil dead"..like really? that's what he's known for? producing the remake of..ya know, one of the most iconic horror franchises he..directed in the first place...

Thanks, millennials

listen grandpa, if you can’t get down to clown with a movie about a woman fighting crocs in a flooded crawl space during a hurricane i don’t know what to tell you.

loosen the collar and have some dumb fun

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

beanieson posted:

Yeah, the elevator scene is extremely good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LesterGroans posted:

No, but the fact that they're not good does.

I can't even think of the last memorable fight scene in an MCU film. I guess the fight on Titan in Infinity War is fine.

It's not a fight scene but the Come a Little Bit Closer scene in GotG2 is a wonderful action-ish sequence.

LesterGroans posted:

If the MCU doesn't care about its TV shows then I don't see why we should have to.

As much as I enjoyed (some) of the Netflix MCU stuff I kind of hope they completely ignore it and add Daredevil, Kingpin and Punisher to the movies at some point down the line.

I know they're probably too violent for Disney, which is why they were done with Netflix in the first place - but a man can dream.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

QuoProQuid posted:

listen grandpa, if you can’t get down to clown with a movie about a woman fighting crocs in a flooded crawl space during a hurricane i don’t know what to tell you.

loosen the collar and have some dumb fun

I mean, what's it going to do that anaconda and lake placid didn't...and I saw both of those in theaters :\

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Saw this last night, it was good fun but not great. In a weird way it almost felt like a meta commentary on the MCU- Peter is trying to figure out how to go on without Tony Stark in his life and the MCU is trying to figure out how to keep going with RDJ. Especially since they went with look at this person whom Tony pissed off in his professional life for like the fifth of sixth time. Also I'm starting to like Holland more in this role but he still feels a little too goofy for me. Then again I'm the weirdo who thinks Andrew Garfield hit the perfect balance of goofy Spider-Man and emo Spider-Man.

I have no idea what the MCU looks like after and that's good if you thought it was getting stale and maybe bad if Disney wants to keep making money off of these films. We'll see!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I thought Beck was actually a fun twist on the "Tony unwittingly pissed off someone who's rightfully angry" thing from Homecoming.

Beck was a Stark Industries employee. He may have invented the holographic technology, but it would have been company property and we saw that Tony came up with a wholesome use for it even if his name for it was silly.

Then he (or someone else in the company, more likely, Pepper was the CEO at this point and it's doubtful firing Beck would have made it up to the CEO level) was fired for being unstable.

Beck's response to being accused of being unstable was to become a supervillain and kill shitloads of people for fame and fortune.

Makes me think Beck's manager and the HR person had a point, honestly.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

So, hot take: I liked this more than Homecoming and I really liked Homecoming a few things stand out:

I loved the Spider-Man/Mysterio interaction where Mysterio does the double fake of the weird creepy images and fake stuff + Nick Fury double fake. And then at the end where Spider-Man just trusts his guts and gets all the drones and finds Mysterio in the shadows. Also, Tom Holland does a really good job of Peter feeling so betrayed by beck when the gun is pulled on him.

I dunno, I feel the characters are fleshed out more in this movie, I feel it moves pretty well, and I like the themes that are running through it and then the reveal at the end. Seemed a bit more complete.

Also, talking villain comparisons Vulture started off as a working class guy who cheated his way to the top but ultimately respects Peter because of what Peter has presumably been through with Uncle Ben and the fact the kid is willing to fight for what's right. He is a weird Captain America reflection in that regard. Beck is a spoiled brat, who while he recognizes Peter's genius ultimately thinks the kid is a joke because he is just so much more obviously talented because look at the technology I made because I am so smart.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

teagone posted:

Watch more movies.

Hahaha, you're such a prick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I picked it because it was the most recent one I could think of that was competent. The only MCU fight scenes that stick in my mind are, like, Hulk vs. the military in The Incredible Hulk or Captain America rescuing the POW's in The First Avenger. Post-Avengers 1 is a wasteland.

I like the when Cap is going after Bucky on the helicarrier at the end of Winter Soldier a lot. Something else about it though is mostly again because, I don't understand why but for some reason the three Captain America movies have waaaaaay better sound effects than the other MCU movies. Plus the elevator scene in Winter Soldier is fun.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Plus the elevator scene in Winter Soldier is fun.

Also, retroactively made twice as good by the elevator scene in endgame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Captain America movies also have some of the most solid emotional beats because they don't immediately undercut them with a lame joke.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

I like the cherry blossom garden fight against the drones in Iron Man 2. It's short, but it's the best looking action scene in the MCU imo. Post-Avengers, some of the action choreography in Winter Soldier is good, the barrel of monkeys scene in Iron Man 3 is also good, and I like the trippy Inception wizard battle poo poo from Doctor Strange. Not much else comes to mind that stands out.

It does feel like the MCU post-Avengers relies more on the strength of characters to its make action scenes interesting as opposed to intricately choreographed stunts. That's fine and there's nothing wrong with that really, but that's not for me. I get why people love these characters. But the MCU putting more more stock in quips and character interaction during its big set pieces than memorable and exciting choreography just results in boring rear end action imo. The Civil War airport fight is probably the biggest offender of this: it's ugly, boringly shot/choreographed, and everyone just won't shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The action is ugly and boring because all the cg stuff is designed, directed and rendered by a separate team than the people who actually direct the films to streamline the pre/post-production. The big war scenes in Infinity War where they fight some kind of boring bugs were done before they even started shooting.