Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

So am I crazy or in the flashback to the augmented reality demonstration was Beck dressed up like Steve Jobs in the background? It was too quick to tell.

I loved the movie! Mysterio is such a silly villain and they managed to make him feel really truly threatening and take the "haha I made a hologram of a dinosaur!" bit I remember from the TV show feel and make it both bigger for the action sequences but also intimate and terrifying when he's confronting Peter directly. The pacing was well designed so that even when you knew he was the bad guy you felt him bonding with Peter, then it's revealed soon enough to let us behind the scenes. The fact that the villain is literally a guy in a motion capture suit is so wonderfully meta. His story is so over the top and absurd, which even he admits, but you can see him getting off on both being the hero, and getting away with it. There's an intense cruelty and vindictiveness to the character that Gyllenhall nailed.

I didn't mind him becoming Iron Lad much, as other people did. He has this father figure, he dies, and you see Peter dealing with the fallout of this. He can't handle the responsibility he has and it directly affects his confidence, to the point where he's just trying to get away from his responsibility. He thinks he is doing the right thing giving up that responsibility only to learn he was played, and it's now even MORE his responsibility, at which point he grows as a character and gets his confidence back. The scene from his perspective of the dark hallway fighting drones blind was fantastic.

Also it was so annoying how off Fury was and I couldn't put my place on it and it was kind of taking me out of the movie so that reveal was amazing. The "don't invoke her name" had me so confused, he'd never say that, and welp, there ya go. There was intention to so many things and it really paid off.

At first I didn't like Tony's legacy being a massive oversightless tech-death panopticon, but really that's his character's ark. He didn't become a pacifist, he still built terrifying weapons, he just only trusted himself and a select few other people to use them. It wasn't the missiles he minded it was that they wound up in the wrong hands. There is however massive inconsistency into Iron Man 3, where he blows up all his suits, only to be wearing one again in the next Avengers movie, and then submitting to oversight in Civil War then apparently just back to normal into Homecoming and Infinity War. I can see him giving Peter control, but I could much more easily see him giving Captain America or War Machine control of it, or hell even Pepper? It was a stretch for sure but it didn't blast a hole in the plot for me. Should probably include better safeguards on unilateral orbital strikes on civilian targets, though, Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tom Tucker posted:

I loved the movie!
At first I didn't like Tony's legacy being a massive oversightless tech-death panopticon, but really that's his character's ark. He didn't become a pacifist, he still built terrifying weapons, he just only trusted himself and a select few other people to use them. It wasn't the missiles he minded it was that they wound up in the wrong hands. There is however massive inconsistency into Iron Man 3, where he blows up all his suits, only to be wearing one again in the next Avengers movie, and then submitting to oversight in Civil War then apparently just back to normal into Homecoming and Infinity War. I can see him giving Peter control, but I could much more easily see him giving Captain America or War Machine control of it, or hell even Pepper? It was a stretch for sure but it didn't blast a hole in the plot for me. Should probably include better safeguards on unilateral orbital strikes on civilian targets, though, Tony.

I wrote a big effort post on this topic a couple pages back, you might find it interesting maybe?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Weird that Tony didn't update his will or get rid of Edith during the five year gap though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I really liked this movie! They did some great stuff with Mysterio, I really liked what they did with MJ, and I really liked what they did with both of the post-credit scenes.

I feel like everyone making the criticism about Peter being Iron Man Jr. are kind of missing that the movie is basically explicitly saying that Peter shouldn't be Iron Man II. To paraphrase another Spider-Man, 'don't try and do it like Tony, do it like you.' While yes, he does make his new suit in the back of Tony's jet, he does it by basically stripping out all of the cruft Tony crammed in there that often hurt more than it helped, with the only gadgets being the ones he especially picks out for the job. I mean, the last fight of Homecoming was literally Peter fighting the bad guy in his homemade costume, it seems like it's a recurring theme of these movies to me.

beanieson posted:

Elevator fight in winter soldier was great.

Does every fight in daredevil count? Cause every fight in daredevil was also great.

If we're bringing up stuff from TV, I'm nominating the motel fight from Cloak & Dagger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCTB2rOU18A
That show's the best MCU thing nobody's heard of.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Yvonmukluk posted:

I feel like everyone making the criticism about Peter being Iron Man Jr. are kind of missing that the movie is basically explicitly saying that Peter shouldn't be Iron Man II. To paraphrase another Spider-Man, 'don't try and do it like Tony, do it like you.' While yes, he does make his new suit in the back of Tony's jet, he does it by basically stripping out all of the cruft Tony crammed in there that often hurt more than it helped, with the only gadgets being the ones he especially picks out for the job. I mean, the last fight of Homecoming was literally Peter fighting the bad guy in his homemade costume, it seems like it's a recurring theme of these movies to me.

This also got helped a lot with how in the climax Peter after dismissing all the high tech stuff and just going on his own instinct he just effortlessly takes out Mysterio's drones and then Mysterio himself. As it's happening Mysterio over relies on the drones and gets himself shot like a chump. Like the movie goes out of its way in the climax to show that Spider-Man is better than Mysterio because they both got access to the technology and Mysterio like, externalizes it to control everything while Spider-Man internalizes it to make a suit that just works with what he wants to do specifically to glide around a bit/etc. and work with what his abilities already are. Mysterio fully buys into his own bullshit and I liked that a lot.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I liked this movie a lot, I just got out of it. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the older spiderman movies, and without the Tony and other MCU connections I probably just wouldn't care to see the third take on a friendly neighborhood spiderman, that gets cancelled/has a failure of a film before he can ever really evolve.

I hope the next movie has him be a little more confident and ready to be a hero, because his constant Am I Really Good Enough stuff is starting to bore me. I liked this take on Mysterio a lot. his legitimate belief that he is a good guy and not a mass murderer was legitimately unsettling. The fact that he could legitimately threaten to murder all his associates for the projector mistake, then tell one of them that he was at fault for how he now HAS to kill spiderman was actually very Real to me.

I liked that this one showcased more of Peter's intelligence (if not also his naivety) and how when given the tools he could make something just as well as Tony could, if not better for what he needed, as compared to homecoming and infinity war/endgame where it was all Tony sourced with 0 Peter work.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just got back from seeing this. Didn't quite like it as much as Homecoming, but I still thought it was good. I enjoy smaller scale super hero stories a lot more nowadays. But I guess Spider-Man is the new face of the MCU and this is their way of ramping up to that. Jake Gyllenhal did a great job as always.

Seeing JK Simmons back as JJJ at the very end was probably the only time I've ever shouted in a movie theatre

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I enjoyed Far From Home a lot (it's a great date movie IMO) but I also really, really hope the spiderverse people get another crack at Spiderman.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just got back from this and really enjoyed it.

The mid credit scene adds nicely to my own little fantasy for Sacha Baron Cohen, as the Chameleon, to mock Spider-Man with his ability to blend in and disappear while Peter Parker can never escape the public eye.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

a helpful bear posted:

I enjoyed Far From Home a lot (it's a great date movie IMO) but I also really, really hope the spiderverse people get another crack at Spiderman.

The head of the studio confirm it was in production as of a few weeks ago. They have a director and writer.

The bigger question is how many movies or shows they make in that universe. They have the sequel and one other movie confirmed. There are also a few other projects in early stages.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Am I the only one who is absolutely sick of Peter's classmates and teachers? Every single one of them is a comic relief character. Like I don't think there was a serious line spoken by any of them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mulderman posted:

Am I the only one who is absolutely sick of Peter's classmates and teachers? Every single one of them is a comic relief character. Like I don't think there was a serious line spoken by any of them.

peter’s classmates and teachers are much more entertaining as comic relief and im not sure what meaningful dynamics you could wring out of a serious portrayal. like, does anyone want an exploration of the rich interior life of “popular blonde girl” or “hot popular guy?” removing them entirely, meanwhile, saps the film of its premise and its energy.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Young Adult action-drama is bad and I'm glad these movies have avoided it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Loser white guy science teacher dragged the entire film down very hard and Smoove shoulda been the only chaperone

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I absolutely hate comedy in my comedies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually I just want Spider-Smoove now and anything less is agony

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not saying cut out all comedy entirely, but did we REALLY need 2 wacky teachers along for the ride?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mulderman posted:

I'm not saying cut out all comedy entirely, but did we REALLY need 2 wacky teachers along for the ride?

yes

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

comedy is cool and good and so are both of pete’s teachers

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mulderman posted:

One of them is Martin Starr and the other is JB Smoove, so yes, absolutely

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Even though it was in the trailer the quick scene of the kid talking about how inspirational Spider-Man is and then calling Peter a dick to his face was really good. The fat sidekick and his girlfriend c-plot was *pulls out megaphone* IT WAS BAD, OP

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mulderman posted:

Do you remember when these movies weren't straight comedies. I have IV drip of Thor the Dark World right here if you're in need my man.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TDW sucked.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone in the mood for some Iron Man 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Do you remember when these movies weren't straight comedies. I have IV drip of Thor the Dark World right here if you're in need my man.

I don't necessarily agree but I get their point. It's one thing to skew more comedic, but making nearly 100% of the supporting cast comic relief could be a little much.

Like the first movie had Ned and you saw the others in the class occasionally but Liz was at least serious and there was a fairly equal amount of Happy/Tony and May to balance things out, plus at least some of the school authority figures were serious (the principal who gives Pete detention, the teacher who catches Ned in "the chair").

Here Peter was isolated from May and Happy for much of the movie (and yeah, that's even in the title!) and the only other supporting characters he had were the extremely antagonistic Nick Fury and then basically a traveling comedy troupe.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

There are no shades of gray. Just black or white. Gotcha.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mulderman posted:

There are no shades of gray. Just black or white. Gotcha.

Yeah it's pretty dark in Thor the Dark World. I think that's implied.

Guy A. Person posted:

Here Peter was isolated from May and Happy for much of the movie (and yeah, that's even in the title!) and the only other supporting characters he had were the extremely antagonistic Nick Fury and then basically a traveling comedy troupe.

Counterpoint: this movie is the sequel to Endgame, the most dramatic these movies have ever gotten. There needed to be some levity again and Spiderman as they've established it in Homecoming is the best to do it with bar Thor post-Ragnarok.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 16, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone in the mood for some Iron Man 2.

Elon Musk paying Disney money to give him a cameo is still extremely funny to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thor: Ragnarok is funnier than all of the Hangover movies put together. It’s the best buddy cop movie I’ve seen in years.

All the other Thors are MEGATRASH tho

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know who the biggest winner in all this was? Jon Favreau. He has such a poo poo time directing Iron Man 2 that he goes "you know what Marvel Studios? I'm done. I'm gonna make an indie movie that's a thinly gently caress you.

But I'll still act in them. And I'll make a couple live action Disney remakes. And a Star Wars show. And I get to make out with Marisa Tomei."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"I don't care if you cut it, we're filming that love scene."

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Favreau made a movie that was a gently caress you to marvel?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

beanieson posted:

Favreau made a movie that was a gently caress you to marvel?

Chef — Dustin Hoffman's character is a stand-in for Marvel Studios.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Thor: Ragnarok is funnier than all of the Hangover movies put together. It’s the best buddy cop movie I’ve seen in years.

All the other Thors are MEGATRASH tho

Ragnarok is one of the funniest comedies in years.

But Chef was a good movie though...?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Ragnarok is one of the funniest comedies in years.

But Chef was a good movie though...?

I never said it was a bad movie. It's good. Dustin Hoffman's character was a stand-in for Marvel Studios.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

teagone posted:

Chef — Dustin Hoffman's character is a stand-in for Marvel Studios.

Well I’ll have to check that out, thanks

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

teagone posted:

I never said it was a bad movie. It's good. Dustin Hoffman's character was a stand-in for Marvel Studios.

Why are you making me want to rewatch Chef. :mad:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

beanieson posted:

Well I’ll have to check that out, thanks

It's available to stream on Prime Video if you have an account.

MiddleOne posted:

Why are you making me want to rewatch Chef. :mad:

You should! I've seen it two or three times. Fun, nice little movie. Especially if you're a foodie and like to cook, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stop hitting all my preferences! :negative: